• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #1 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 17:44

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 14825 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Tankers,

We would like to ask for your help in gathering feedback regarding the current state of Strongholds. Specifically, we'd like to gather separate feedback for both Skirmishes and Advances.

Please provide your feedback below in the following format:

Skirmishes:
1. What do you like about this gamemode?
2. What don't you like about this gamemode? Are there any aspects that make your experiences in Skirmishes uncomfortable or difficult?

3. If you don't play Skirmishes, why not?

4. If you could add anything or change anything about this gamemode, what would it be?

Advances:
2. What don't you like about this gamemode? Are there any aspects that make your experiences in Skirmishes uncomfortable or difficult?

4. If you could add anything or change anything about this gamemode, what would it be?

Your assistance/feedback in this regard would be greatly appreciated. "Tank" you for your help :)

Edge_of_Insanity #2 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 17:55

Captain

• Players
  • 21683 battles
  • [REL2] REL2
Skirmishes: They are fun and good money makers. In the current Meta for the Match Maker its also the easiest way to grind out Tier 8 tanks.

Advances: Advances are fine, just remove Arty Strikes and Airstrikes and they will be perfect.

Vulcan_Spectre #3 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 17:57

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4909 battles
  • [TCM] TCM

View PostDomoSapien, on Oct 04 2018 - 11:44, said:

Tankers,

We would like to ask for your help in gathering feedback regarding the current state of Strongholds. Specifically, we'd like to gather separate feedback for both Skirmishes and Advances.

Skirmishes:

Advances:

Your assistance/feedback in this regard would be greatly appreciated. "Tank" you for your help :)

skrimishes:

i like these game modes in the sense that it is smaller and only a one tier spread,

N/A

N/A

what i would change is rotating tiers, like every other month its 5-7-9 instead of 6-8-10

Advances:

N/A

N/A

i dont play advances becuase my clan doesnt and im too busy grinding my tech tree lines

N/A

PM_Loves_Hoarce #4 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19358 battles
  • [WASHD] WASHD
Strikes are bad

Edge_of_Insanity #5 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:04

Captain

• Players
  • 21683 battles
  • [REL2] REL2

Vulcan_Spectre #6 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:06

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4909 battles
  • [TCM] TCM

View PostEdge_of_Insanity, on Oct 04 2018 - 12:04, said:

wow lol

Canteen #7 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:07

Private

• Players
  • 24036 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

Skirmishes:

Good for making credits, fast paced (usually), lower player numbers required to start making it more accessible at lower activity times especially with legionnaires 

It can be a little harder for free-to-play players to get into these modes as premium tanks are very dominant at both tier VI (Cromwell B, Type 64, T35-85M) and tier VIII (Defender, Patriot, Caern AX, Progetto, Lorr 40t, etc.)

Tank types are more limited to heavies and mediums due to the smaller teams (this isn't too much of a problem, but does limit what you can play)

N/A

I would increase the industrial resources earned in tier VIII skirmishes to help mod level clans grow and prosper.

I would look at having the skirmishes be at tier VII and IX every now and again to give those tiers some love (this would also encourage players to grind out crews and tanks for these tiers making WG some money ;) )

Advances:

Great training for CW, steamroll matches end quickly, but closer matches last longer, multiple matches let you adjust for your opponent's strategy and prevent a spot of bad luck from losing you the whole advance, Ability to bring in legionnaires is great

Gold spam can be annoying and expensive (but is good training for CW). Anyone (even the opposing team) can click on your advance if you are open to legionnaires and see your line up of tanks without entering the room (easy spying). Map selection can be a bit limited.

3. If you don't play Advances, why not?

N/A

Remove ability of legionnaires to see the lineup of a team without entering the room once the first battle has been played.
Let clans select their maps independently (e.g. a drop down for front line, back line, and citadel) and maybe expand the map pool. It would be fun to try some of the new maps ahead of CW to get a feel for how they'll play

Consider giving a clan defending its citadel the fog of war to make attacking more difficult (might be a stupid suggestion, I just like spit balling ideas).

_Zero___ #8 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:10

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 51804 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

View PostDomoSapien, on Oct 04 2018 - 17:44, said:

Tankers,

Skirmishes:

Advances:

Skirmishes:

1. easy credits/crew training/grinding. Also for new clans a great way to increase the synergy between players.

2. Personal reserves should work in this game mode. This is especially true if you are a legionnaire for a different clan/ your clan isn't running boosters. 

3. Would be great if it was all day (i know the population doesn't support it) However this could be adjusted with rewards maybe?

4. as mentioned above, would be nice if personal reserves worked. along with possible rewards or benefits that would make it run throughout the day. (like random battle skirmishes? assembling teams of 10 8s of random players? or 6s?), show amount of invisible teams

Advances:

1. Great way to practice for tournaments/clanwars. Place to try out strategies and play with clan members. It is also a great recruiting location as you can put potential recruits in. 

2. Strikes are kind of a pain. They are useful but also frustrating in return. Basically a more powerful artillery (and we all know how people don't like arty)

3. NA

4. Maybe remove strikes. Be able to bring tier 9s or 8s like in clan wars for different strategies (especially lights or arty), add fog of war

Also i have some suggestions for strongholds in general. I feel like clan boosters are a great way to get people to participate. However, it would be nice if they were able to be produced quicker. For example, If mahou wants to run skirmishes/advances/clan wars from the time it opens until it closes, that is 10 hours or 5 boosters for 1 day. Only 3 can be made in a day right now. No one wants to run clan activities without boosters. What good is it to have clan functions open for so long if boosters (earned by the clan) can't be run the entire time without running into a net deficit.

TL;DR for the feedback portion. Remove strikes, go all day, make personal reserves usable in all modes, add fog of war to advances, add a counter of invisible teams to all stronghold battle modes

Edited by _Zero___, Oct 04 2018 - 20:17.

MacDaddyMatty #9 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 31923 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

ADVANCES rule!!!

Love em and so does the clan.

You should have Clan Wars use this mode.

Elo match = :)

SHs are good.

We do them to train callers and get boxes.

CynicalDutchie #10 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:30

Major

• Players
  • 43172 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC

All I want to see is different tiers other than 6, 8 and 10. Mostly T7 and T9. I have always really enjoyed skirmishes and they are a great way to grind out tanks but it would be nice to have some variety in playable tiers especially since T10 is no fun at all currently.

Haven't played stronks in a while now, mostly due to being in the wrong timezone to fully enjoy them, server transfers would be nice.:hiding:

The_Grand_Wizard_Of_WOT_ #11 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1745 battles
They are the most fun for me because they are a competitive game mode that anyone can play with any skill. i would love to see them back running all day.

4khan #12 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:34

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 13115 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

Skirmishes:
1. What do you like about this game mode?

Great for credit/tank grinding.

Easy way to build synergy between new clan members and existing teams.

2. What don't you like about this game mode? Are there any aspects that make your experiences in Skirmishes uncomfortable or difficult?

The current interplay between personal reserves and clan boosters makes no sense, its unclear why personal reserves don't apply for strongholds. As strongholds are where I make most of my credits its frustrating to not be able to use the personal reserves I won in tournaments/ by completing missions in strongholds and instead have to use the personal boosts to mitigate credit losses in tier 10.

N/A

4. If you could add anything or change anything about this game mode, what would it be?

Writing about strikes because so many people think they're bad, I think they actually speed up and improve games at this level because tier 8/tier 6 strongholds aren't a good simulation of competitive play anyways.

Advances:
1. What do you like about this game mode?

Currently only way to practice tier ten play in a competitive format. Really appreciative that this even exists.

I think advances are very, very good in their current form and only need minor tweaking to be perfect, the critiques below are just nitpicks that would slightly improve the experience and quality of life IMO.

2. What don't you like about this game mode? Are there any aspects that make your experiences in Skirmishes uncomfortable or difficult?

Strikes. The 10m time limit is also sometimes frustrating as it restricts strats but the sets would be insanely long without it

I also wish there was a more thought out system for determining whether or not there was a last game, cutting it off at 42 mins after start is incredibly arbitrary.

No tier 9 tanks allowed = no m53/55

N/A

4. If you could add anything or change anything about this game mode, what would it be?

Remove strikes

I wish it wasn't such a credit sink to play these. I lose 50-100k a game depending on how long iit runs. I run full prem consumables and ammo for reference.

Add tier 9 tanks like clan wars

Map pool should match clan wars

Edited by 4khan, Oct 04 2018 - 18:40.

Tedster_ #13 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:41

Major

• Players
  • 41564 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
Please allow Personal Reserves to work in all stronghold modes.

TRU_voodoo #14 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:41

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 34397 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

Skirmishes:

- Nice way to earn credits

- Heavy tank spam at tier 8. Teams bring lots of heavies and play defensively vs better teams even though a draw is a loss. Defensive game play in WOT has a huge advantage. As you can see from the pictures, there is little to no risk for bringing so many heavies. On a couple of maps, a team that is super heavy will be punished, but on most maps it is perfectly fine. If they get a city map, they have an advantage, and if they get a big open map they just camp in a dug in spot that is right next to the cap circle. 

- At tier 6 I get frustrated fighting lots of T-34-85m's. At tier 8, there are too many camping teams and Defender spam. Requires lots of premium ammo to beat teams that camp, and takes longer as well which negates a lot of the credit earning. 

- I would try three different things: The first thing would be to change it from standard battle to attack/defend and encounter mixes. This wouldn't 100% fix the problem because a lot of encounter maps still provide an easily defend-able cap circle with a very campy set-up. Himmelsdorf, as pictured is easy to defend. A map like the new Erlenberg is also easy to defend with all heavies. You just take all your heavies into the city, put one guy on cap because it's safe to do so from both sides, and they have to come into the city to kill you. The other issue with encounter is the cap timer is way too long. 

- The second thing I would try, which is not only a stronghold issue but also an issue with standard battles in general. Add barriers on every single cap circle that allow cap pressure with control of one side of the map. This would add a huge depth to the game and would prevent some of the campy game play. (Big enough so arty can't just splash it non-stop)

The third and easiest fix would be to limit the amount of heavy tanks that teams can bring at tier 8. I think 6 heavy tanks per team should be the maximum, but it would not fix the camping problem. 

Advances:

- Fantastic way for people to get practice at tier 10. Lots of clans participate and it's a lot of fun. 

- Dislike the artillery strike. 

3. If you don't play Advances, why not?

- N/A

- Remove airstrikes.

Edited by TRU_voodoo, Oct 04 2018 - 19:13.

US_3rd_Army #15 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:44

Major

• Players
  • 38135 battles
  • [MAD-] MAD-

I generally find both strongholds and advances fun to play and or run. But here are some of things I would add/change for each:

Strongholds:

1) Allowing personal reserves to also work in strongholds and advances.

2) make it so you can do anytime in the day.

3) Put a counter that shows how many invisible teams are there at each tier.

4) Chat bow feature like the one we had in tank companies.

Advances:

1) Add fog of war

IronClad__ #16 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:47

Captain

• Players
  • 67405 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

Skirmish's: Make Personal reserves work in the battles so that we can stack em with the clan reserves. Everything else is fine. I really like the fact that you can now have 5 legionnaires in the tier 8's

Advances: Why limit the start time to 10PM EST during the week?? Put it to 9PM EST during the week. Everything else is fine imo.

DomoSapien #17 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:49

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 14825 battles
  • [WGA] WGA
This is awesome feedback, everyone! Thank you!!

Please feel free to keep it coming, I will be monitoring this thread for a while.

Vulcan_Spectre #18 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 18:53

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4909 battles
  • [TCM] TCM
oh maybe make it so skirms can be done at any time... not just at night / evening

Night1Rider #19 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 19:04

Sergeant

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 45509 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
So I think Arty strikes in skrimishes are dumb, make a tier 10 10 v 10 mode for skrimishes so people can run those anytime during the skirmish period, keep strikes in advances or increase the time per game so you can break camps without strikes.

Skipstar #20 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 19:12

Sergeant

• Players
  • 34168 battles
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR
Make personal reserves work in strongholds

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users