arty scumbag XP artillery

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Napoleon_The_Conquerer #1 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 03:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 6289 battles
  • [P-F] P-F

So, I understand the massive hate regarding artillery in this game, and I was fine with the "arty nerf" (that actually just made it more annoying) because the one-shot kills were a little insane.

I would consider myself fairly competent at artillery (all of my tier 8+ arty are in top 15%, GW Tiger P at top 93.4%, GW Tiger at 91.6%, and GWE 100 at 86%, but the GWE 100 has only 61 battles). My average damage is well above the average damage done in those tanks.

Yet, I just had a match where I was top damage in the whole match, with a difference of 800 between me and the next player on my team, and yet I was in the bottom 5 for experience.

My first thought was "well maybe they just had a lot of assistance damage or spotting." Well that wasn't true either. Our Lorr 155 51 only did 751 damage, but got 1,343 assistance. Still not even above my combined. "Well, maybe its the tiers he damaged or assisted" Then check this out. The M46 Patton on our team is only one tier below me, did 2,047 damage, and zero assistance. Yet he got 40% more XP than I did.

My average damage is definitely above what most people expect from arty, and its even above the average damage for most normal tanks. I don't mind if I get a little less XP than normal tanks, as I am playing in a scumbag vehicle. But this is insanity, I do a decent chunk more damage than the rest of my team, and yet I still get in the bottom 5 for XP for what is definitely an exceptional match in this vehicle (this battle I had a WN8 rating of 2,191).

Here is a link to an IMGUR gallery

stalkervision #2 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 03:29

Major

• Players
  • 61081 battles
I think the xp is tied to stun and track damage that allows your team to do damage to those tanks. OR not...:confused:

Napoleon_The_Conquerer #3 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 03:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 6289 battles
  • [P-F] P-F

View Poststalkervision, on Oct 04 2018 - 18:29, said:

I think the xp is tied to stun and track damage that allows your team to do damage to those tanks. OR not...:confused:

What's even more annoying, is that I've had matches in my GW Tiger where I have done 2,000+ more damage than the next best player on my team. And yet still not get top XP.

The entire XP system for arty is broken AF.

ramp4ge #4 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 03:42

Major

• Special Beta Testers
  • 333 battles

View PostNapoleon_The_Conquerer, on Oct 04 2018 - 18:39, said:

arty is broken AF.

I agree. 

Devil__Anse #5 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 03:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1806 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
so let me get this straight.  you think you should be able to sit on the redline the entire match taking no risk as a tank at any point in the match, never have to worry about return fire, do damage at will against an enemy that can't fire back, never have to worry about angling, camo, map awareness, flanking, aiming for weakspots (for that matter aiming at all) scouting, or hull down OP armored tanks and get as much XP as I do?  yeah dude there is a disconnect to reality that you are experiencing

moon111 #6 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 03:55

Major

• Players
  • 30871 battles

View PostDevil__Anse, on Oct 05 2018 - 02:52, said:

so let me get this straight.  you think you should be able to sit on the redline the entire match taking no risk as a tank at any point in the match, never have to worry about return fire, do damage at will against an enemy that can't fire back, never have to worry about angling, camo, map awareness, flanking, aiming for weakspots (for that matter aiming at all) scouting, or hull down OP armored tanks and get as much XP as I do?  yeah dude there is a disconnect to reality that you are experiencing

Honestly, none of that is as hard as hitting a moving target with arty.

heavymetal1967 #7 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 03:56

Major

• Players
  • 65924 battles

OP first you generally only get half xp for damage since most of the times others are spotting your targets.  Which tbh is fair whether you're in arty, a TD, etc...  That's likely the reason the Patton got more xp.  Also there's a close combat bonus for xp which generally arty doesn't get.

And you get stun assist damage which is likely the reason the other arty got more xp.  Stun assist isn't shared if others are spotting, but it is shared if more than one arty stuns a tank.   But it isn't shared equally, the first tank that stuns get a significant amount of the stun xp even if other arty stun "behind" it.   So generally for most of your damage your only getting half xp.  But for the stun assist that's a full return unless it's shared xp and even then if he was the first arty to stun he's getting a 70 percent return not half.

And imo arty xp was fixed albeit may have been unintentionally, because personally I view the "nerfs" as a big buff especially to xp and credits for that matter because of the stun.

How stun is shared amongst multiple arty. 

https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wot/article/19514/

The total amount of assisted damage, which is basically all damage dealt to stunned vehicles, gets split between all SPGs whose HE burst covered these vehicles, stunning them while they took damage from someone else. The first SPG to stun enemies receives 70% of this total amount. The remaining 30% is evenly split between all other SPG whose stun duration is counting down while this damage is deal.

If an SPG stuns an enemy that's already been stunned by someone else, this SPG earns a portion of the 30% until the first stun has worn off. As soon as it has, the second receives 70% of the total amount of damage dealt while its stun duration is counting down, etc.

If just one SPG stunned vehicles that were damaged, the player in this SPG gets all the assisted damage.

Finally, the damage arty causes to the tank it also stuns isn’t included into the assisted damage.

Devil__Anse #8 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 03:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1806 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View Postmoon111, on Oct 04 2018 - 20:55, said:

Honestly, none of that is as hard as hitting a moving target with arty.

i've heard some stupid stuff in my days...this might take the cake

stalkervision #9 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 04:07

Major

• Players
  • 61081 battles

View PostNapoleon_The_Conquerer, on Oct 04 2018 - 21:39, said:

What's even more annoying, is that I've had matches in my GW Tiger where I have done 2,000+ more damage than the next best player on my team. And yet still not get top XP.

I hear you. It's happened to me. :( 

Dirizon #10 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 04:15

Major

• Players
  • 27352 battles

View PostDevil__Anse, on Oct 04 2018 - 22:22, said:

he can always worry as arty, spending ten seconds to aim in on a target and still miss by ten meters, and do 25 damage in the process while waiting nearly a minute for next shot

he can also play a lorraine arty, and actually hit a tank dead on for   O   damage.

also, awesome sauce for spawning in Ensk and Himmels, in an arty to do 1 shot of half damage if lucky, and getting spotted and killed immediately after

Devil__Anse #11 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 04:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1806 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View PostDirizon, on Oct 04 2018 - 21:15, said:

he can always worry as arty, spending ten seconds to aim in on a target and still miss by ten meters, and do 25 damage in the process while waiting nearly a minute for next shot

he can also play a lorraine arty, and actually hit a tank dead on for   O   damage.

also, awesome sauce for spawning in Ensk and Himmels, in an arty to do 1 shot of half damage if lucky, and getting spotted and killed immediately after

is my emotions for the arty player supposed to be moved by this?  give me a break

Buttknuckle #12 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 04:24

Major

• Players
  • 46924 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ
Want more xp? Go spot your own targets. Seems easy enough.

heavymetal1967 #13 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 04:25

Major

• Players
  • 65924 battles

View PostNapoleon_The_Conquerer, on Oct 04 2018 - 21:39, said:

No it isn't.  It wasn't before stun was implemented and it sure as hell isn't now with stun assist.  Nor did 9.18 "nerf" arty that has stun.  But that's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.  :P

Edit:  Btw this isn't arty hate speech, I play arty and I routinely post FACTS regarding WG's view on the class as a business not game "mechanic".   But to say arty xp needs "fixed".  Again stun was a big buff re: xp and credits imo.

From a bit ago and the only two arty matches in my interface so I'm not cherry picking.   Note the stun which is the only reason I scored as high as I did because otherwise my damage would have been half xp as someone else was spotting and NO close combat bonus.

If there's something unfair to me as the arty player on this xp and credit payout someone explain it to me.  SMH.

705A had more damage and most of it under 300m and more assist (see second screenshot) but see the xp payout.  Again mainly because of my stun assist.  Seems fair to me and some would argue more than fair.

And in this one note the Bat's damage compared to mine and all of it under 300m.  And he's got a nice chunk of assist, but note my stun assist which is why it's so close despite my getting half xp on damage and him getting full.  Again seems fair to me. 

Edited by heavymetal1967, Oct 05 2018 - 04:38.

SnakePliskan #14 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 04:53

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21 battles

View PostDevil__Anse, on Oct 05 2018 - 03:52, said:

Deleted

Edited by SnakePliskan, Oct 05 2018 - 04:59.

SnakePliskan #15 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 04:57

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21 battles

View PostDevil__Anse, on Oct 05 2018 - 03:59, said:

i've heard some stupid stuff in my days...this might take the cake

Try to look up some arty hit rates then come back and tell us all what is the most stupid comment made. Thanks

Devil__Anse #16 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 05:04

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1806 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View PostSnakePliskan, on Oct 04 2018 - 21:53, said:

Deleted

post this drivel from your main or get out

SnakePliskan #17 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 05:07

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21 battles

View PostDevil__Anse, on Oct 05 2018 - 05:04, said:

Deleted

SnakePliskan #18 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 05:09

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21 battles

View PostDevil__Anse, on Oct 05 2018 - 05:04, said:

Edited by SnakePliskan, Oct 05 2018 - 05:09.

heavymetal1967 #19 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 05:09

Major

• Players
  • 65924 battles

View PostSnakePliskan, on Oct 04 2018 - 22:57, said:

Try to look up some arty hit rates then come back and tell us all what is the most stupid comment made. Thanks

I think the original OP was chumming bait and set the hook tbh.  Because when I read it I thought he isn't serious. 

Maybe he's a McCoy in disguise and is still mad about the pig incident. Sorry Mr. Hatfield couldn't resist. :B

Regardless...

And you don't need to hit now with stun arty.  Hell if I'm shooting into a flock of reds and have allies close to take advantage of the stun (and feed me) I'll intentionally put a round into the center if it means missing so to maximize stun on multiple reds.   Same reason I'll hold off on my chain firing on an engaged red tank if I'm in the Bat 58, so I don't overlap and "lose" stun time.  Or if I can splash someone knowing I'll get marginal damage, but likely get fed off of stun then a round is going downrange.   Granted he may kit or the ally may not do as hoped hence the "likely".

This is where I think a lot of arty players mess up, not taking advantage of the stun mechanic.  Hell it's not much different than a spotter or TD exploiting camo or spotting mechanics. 

Insanefriend #20 Posted Oct 05 2018 - 05:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39514 battles
Arty is all about that juicy juicy stun damage now rather then raw damage.  It is really a support class not a sniper class, after the changes.  I think it works quite well in it's current form compared to the old form where only direct hits did any real damage.

Also tagged with arty, scumbag, XP, artillery

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users