arty is fine how it currently is... in fact, maybe obsolete.

arty balance unfair derp

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

TheMightyWanker #1 Posted Oct 06 2018 - 22:06

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9925 battles
  • [ASSES] ASSES

Ok, I'm gonna be the 1% to say this and I do expect a few bashing lol. I think, in fact, artillery is a little underpowered and is absolutely useless in its current state. 

There are only about 2 good things that arty has going for it, while the other aspects make it absolute garbage. 

The 2 good things are: camping at the back of the map and not necessarily expensive to play.

I'll list all of the bad things that arty has to deal with: Bashful players, low hitpoints that don't last, absolutely zero armor (except gw e100 if you get lucky), poor rate of fire, poor accuracy, atrocious aim time, most have awful mobility, and it's the first thing suicide scouts go for. 

But it's ok when an FV4005, Jap heavy, or T49 do over 1000 damage, right? That isn't the same damage that artillery does, right??

Now, you telling me artillery is unfair and unbalanced? Ok, got it.

Please take me seriously, I'm not trying to troll. My second tier 10 was the T92 back when it did over 2k dmg.

Dirizon #2 Posted Oct 06 2018 - 22:23

Major

• Players
  • 27352 battles

FV4K5 and Sheridan / T49 have absolutely no armour, and cannot fire at things far far far away. And are even exposed to return fire 

Japanese heavy tanks spend thousands and thousands of credits a game, and are slow lumbering beasts, that upon being spotted which is usually at max view range, gets struck by ten enemy tanks and focused. 

Arty is not fair, or balanced. lt is underpowered, l agree, but that does not make it any fairer. ls it easy to do 1.5 - 2.O K damage in an arty? Yes. ls it easy to do 4K damage in artillery? No.

ls it easy to do 2K damage in tanks? No, you have to put in an effort. ls it easy to do 4K damage in tanks? With the same steady effort, tanks procure much more damage and exp than artillery. And this is the problem.

lt is EASY to do average & decent in artillery, without a strenuous effort. And against whichever enemy, good or bad. lt is VERY HARD to do well in artillery, as it is unpredictable, totally team dependent, map dependent. A medium tank or light tank or fast heavy tank, can take some work to do resonable average damage, but not much more work put in from there and all of a sudden you get 3-4K damage games. And carry potential. Can arty do that? Very unlikely.

That is the problem. Extremely low skill level, user friendly, non threat unit that does not require much strategy or tactics to deploy. But likewise, a great player, cannot amplify his effectiveness and continually be great, in arty due to team dependence, map dependence, low effect, no map control, randomness and no reliability, Etc. 

Gothraul #3 Posted Oct 06 2018 - 22:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 2061 battles
There are two things that make me RAGE while playing it is the LONG aim time and the drunk dispersion, the rest is either op or even broken such as the large splash and when there are two or three fast firing cancers it absolutely Ruins battles. All a team needs is one sky cancer and the class needs better handling either wise I would be very happy to accept a refund should WG give into reason by removing this class.  

atila_xD #4 Posted Oct 06 2018 - 22:32

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7137 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
Clearly you a ill informed ,looks like a meme thread regardless

Shortcult #5 Posted Oct 06 2018 - 22:43

Major

• Players
  • 37150 battles
Completely disagree with your two good things.  Red line camping is not the way to play arty, move for better angles.  Also the payout seems to have a drastic scale inclusive where an average game nets you little and a bad game costs you.  Unless your playing the Leafblower of course.  This may just be my perception.  I find very little good about arty and wish it would get yet another 'refresh' that would bring it more in line with the rest of the game.  That's me as an arty player saying it needs to be fixed.

dominator_98 #6 Posted Oct 06 2018 - 22:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 20294 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

View PostTheMightyWanker, on Oct 06 2018 - 15:06, said:

Ok, I'm gonna be the 1% to say this and I do expect a few bashing lol. I think, in fact, artillery is a little underpowered and is absolutely useless in its current state. 

As it should be.

There are only about 2 good things that arty has going for it, while the other aspects make it absolute garbage. 

The 2 good things are: camping at the back of the map and not necessarily expensive to play.

I'll list all of the bad things that arty has to deal with: Bashful players, low hitpoints that don't last, absolutely zero armor (except gw e100 if you get lucky), poor rate of fire, poor accuracy, atrocious aim time, most have awful mobility, and it's the first thing suicide scouts go for. 

1. You don't need hitpoints because you never get shot at until the game is over. Same for armor. 

2. Your gun stats are awful because your range is very good and your gun is never in danger of being removed from the fight until the end of the game.

3. What do you need mobility for? Even fast arty rarely leaves the cap circle.

But it's ok when an FV4005, Jap heavy, or T49 do over 1000 damage, right? That isn't the same damage that artillery does, right??

It's not ok when derp guns do it either. Crazy high alpha guns need removed or reworked, especially HE-based ones. They don't receive as much outcry because they can't hit you from behind buildings or over mountains.

The entire birds eye view game mechanic is what's unfair and unbalanced. If every tank could hit shift and lob shells anywhere on the map, arty would be acceptable.

Please take me seriously, I'm not trying to troll. My second tier 10 was the T92 back when it did over 2k dmg.

riot_evo #7 Posted Oct 06 2018 - 22:45

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14820 battles
We need premium arty and arty of ye old nuke days <3 make arty great again!

ElPuffMo #8 Posted Oct 06 2018 - 22:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32686 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

Well, I sure don't think arty is useless at all; that would mean that my good win rate was six years of astonishingly good luck instead of any actual strategic ability. Arty is fun to play and players can get some elation blowing stuff up with arthritic hands and without too much thought at all. Killing enemy arty is sweeter than killing other enemy vehicles for many players, and that makes arty particularly useful as entertainment, as well.

However, arty is tough to play properly because to not be useless requires a great deal of thought. The useful arty player has to know how to judiciously wield the easy damage he/she is capable of inflicting in order to strongly influence the battle outcome, all while accounting for the wild RNG SPGs are a slave to.

Some of us have carry potential, but that isn't arty's real role. The useful arty is meant to support, not carry. It can boost a weak flank and save an ally tanker until reinforcements can arrive. Useful arty is supposed to let the tankers have the limelight, and keep them alive long enough so that they can seize that limelight. The anti-arty whiners talking about how arty is supposedly "unfair and unbalanced" complain about it usually because the whiners are too lazy to learn how to properly take advantage of the teamwork, patience, communication, & coordinated attacks it requires to successfully play with it or against it. Arty would only be "unfair or unbalanced" if one team had arty and the other team did not. 

ElPuffMo #9 Posted Oct 06 2018 - 22:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32686 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
And, yes, it sure would be a nice boost if arty was given better mobility, gun depression, and alpha damage again. But the whiners already whine sooooo much about the nerfed arty version, I don't see them being able to learn teamwork or coping mechanisms fast enough to deal with any future arty boost. Gotta bow to the entitled whiner generation.  

ViseGrip #10 Posted Oct 06 2018 - 23:17

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 43059 battles
  • [ROCKY] ROCKY

View Postriot_evo, on Oct 06 2018 - 21:45, said:

We need premium arty and arty of ye old nuke days <3 make arty great again!

Premium arty... I would probably break down and get one... Would have to be the right tier. Tho I do miss the days of old that had UP to 5 arty a side and could 1 shot a IS7 broadside in my T92 was great. I'm kinda partial to the splash effect really.... I have nailed so many of you idiots with splash its not even funny..... Well it is to me anyway ... hahahahahahahahaha

ProfessionalFinn #11 Posted Oct 06 2018 - 23:32

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 22056 battles
Hi.  Recommend playing the American SPG M53/M55. So much fun!

JakeTheMystic #12 Posted Oct 06 2018 - 23:41

Captain

• Players
  • 21533 battles
  • [F0CUS] F0CUS

Though I disagree with people who say its completely useless, I can agree that it is fairly balanced. Its annoying for sure, but that doesn't make it overpowered or broken by any standards. It will provide a sufficient contribution to the team on most maps, while being useless on others (looking at himmelsdork and ensk). 

I actually haven't played much arty outside of trying to get missions done. But I have noticed the French arty line is nearly useless in comparison to the other lines since its only effective at keeping tanks perma-stunned. But at least that is useful for most missions. 

Hurk #13 Posted Oct 07 2018 - 00:02

Major

• Players
  • 52252 battles
  • [KGR] KGR
arty is not balanced. for almost all of them its under performing. 

RMxR #14 Posted Oct 07 2018 - 00:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 42820 battles

View PostDirizon, on Oct 06 2018 - 15:23, said:

That is the problem. Extremely low skill level, user friendly, non threat unit that does not require much strategy or tactics to deploy.

You just described the majority of the Russian tech tree

fsdgsg #15 Posted Oct 07 2018 - 02:50

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6785 battles
  • [EATU] EATU

View PostTheMightyWanker, on Oct 06 2018 - 22:06, said:

Well, DERP tanks put themselves in the risk of getting shot at, while arty just sit in the back and camp

grandthefttankV #16 Posted Oct 07 2018 - 22:39

Captain

• Players
  • 31538 battles
  • [DBLTG] DBLTG
Anyone who thinks arty is obsolete, should NEVER be found pinging the map, T-targeting a hull down enemy in game for arty.

Also tagged with arty, balance, unfair, derp

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users