Clan management question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

TrevorsT112 #1 Posted Oct 09 2018 - 01:48

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5038 battles

Interested in starting a new Clan, and would like to know a little about managing one. Can the person starting a clan see info on its members such as frequency of play, total scores, type of tanks used ect...

Also do you have to use TeamSpeak to communicate with the Clan in-game? I would like to use Discord to communicate with Clan members if possible.

Steeljaw_MajT #2 Posted Oct 09 2018 - 01:55

Major

• Players
  • 18648 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-

1. Yes

2.  No, some clans use Discord.

dominator_98 #3 Posted Oct 09 2018 - 02:03

Major

• -Players-
  • 20471 battles

1. Anyone can see these stats, regardless of clan membership.

2. Teamspeak has nothing to do with the game. It's completely third-party and most clans use it mainly because it was the best option when the game came out. You can use Discord, Skype, or write your own program if you really wanted to.

The_Illusive_Man #4 Posted Oct 09 2018 - 02:13

Major

• -Players-
  • 12747 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View PostTrevorsT112, on Oct 08 2018 - 21:48, said:

Interested in starting a new Clan, and would like to know a little about managing one. Can the person starting a clan see info on its members such as frequency of play, total scores, type of tanks used ect...

Also do you have to use TeamSpeak to communicate with the Clan in-game? I would like to use Discord to communicate with Clan members if possible.

So, here are some things to think about:

What do you want the clan to focus on? (CW, SH, Tournaments, Social, ect)

What min reqs are you going to use?

Are you going to use docs to keep track of everything?

TS or Discord? (There are alot if things that are used in most clans that are not possible in Discord. And if you need someone with experience to help set you up, I can help)

Some resources:

Clantools.us (to see the persons tank stats, in an easier way)

Wotlabs.net (An overview of the players stats)

TrevorsT112 #5 Posted Oct 09 2018 - 03:02

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5038 battles

Thanks everyone. To start, I wanted to create a Clan for new players, but everyone would also be welcome. I did not want to set any minimum requirements because as I have said, the purpose is to attract new players and foster team play. Can you be more specific about the things that are used in clans that would not be available in Discord?

Thanks again.

Slone #6 Posted Oct 09 2018 - 03:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19038 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

Do you realize how much work is involved in running a clan? It's a LOT. Be prepared to spend more time managing your clan than actually playing the game.

Do you have experienced players with clan leadership experience available to fill out your officer team? If you try to manage a clan all by yourself you are guaranteed to fail.

Here is the WoTLabs lnk that someone mentioned:

http://wotlabs.net/n...yer/TrevorsT112

As you see I have set it to your stats in the game. Learn to read these stats to determine what sort of player a person is, whether they are suitable for your clan, what their strengths and weaknesses are. And what you need to teach them to help them become a better player. For example, I can see by your stats that you are a very raw player. Your 15.14% survival rate tells me that you die too quickly, either from reckless over aggressive play, and/or from a lack of basic understanding of the game. Your 159 average damage at tier 4 indicates that you are only doing 2 or 3 damaging shots before you die, you need to be doing a lot more. Though I suspect that damage figure is inflated by your premium tank play, so the reality is even worse. Your stats tell me that you are very new to the game and still need an understanding of the basics of the game. You seem like a person who would benefit greatly from membership in a training clan and could really use someone to mentor you on the finer points of WoT.

Everyone should play the game how they wish, and you should do what you think is best. But in my opinion, you need a LOT more experience in the game and in playing in a clan before you are ready to lead one. While I am sure your intentions are noble, at present I see you doing more harm than good to new players joining your clan.

TrevorsT112 #7 Posted Oct 09 2018 - 04:04

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5038 battles

Hey Slone, thanks for your input. You are right, I am still very new at the game statistically speaking. My object was to create a Clan where new players can practice working in a team. It would be great to attract more experienced players too, but that would not be the mission. I did not want to put any minimum tank tiers as a requirement or anything like that, and the intention is not to win a competition. I was hoping to get input from someone like yourself actually, because I really don't know how much work is involved. Can you be a little more descriptive in the work involved to start a clan?

Thanks again.

yewchung #8 Posted Oct 09 2018 - 16:25

Major

• Players
  • 21795 battles
  • [NEWBI] NEWBI
training rooms will help you a lot

Slone #9 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 02:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19038 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

View PostTrevorsT112, on Oct 08 2018 - 22:04, said:

My object was to create a Clan where new players can practice working in a team. 

Given that you have SO much to learn about the base game, how do you plan to lead the effort 'where new players can practice working in a team'? I mean no disrespect, it's an honest question. How do you intend to lead an effort which you know almost nothing about?

As far as the work required for a clan, I've recruited for every clan I have been in, so just the task of recruiting. I check the forum several times a day to look for people 'LFK' (Looking For a Clan). I check each person out on WoT Labs and several other sites. I check their numbers as far as WN8, Win %, K/D, recents. Then I check their tanks mix, see what meta tanks they have in T10, T8 and T6, and how they do in each. Then I check their clan history (I really am not interested in someone who regularly jumps clans). If someone passes muster, I type them a message on the forum with info about the clan and invite them to meet us. At this time I also address any previous messages that got a reply. I also try to bump our clan recruiting thread once a day or so. When I log onto WoT I immediately look for anyone I have written to and try to strike up a conversation, if possible get them to visit our Team Speak. I then get on our Team Speak where I'll go to the recruiting room and update the prospects list (delete off those who have picked a clan and add the new prospects). If a prospect does log on to TS I will talk to them, answer any questions, introduce them to the group, try to arrange a platoon or Stronghold spot for them. I'f I'm in their toon or stronk I will observe their play and interaction with the group, making notes for later discussion with the other officers. Whenever all those tasks are addressed, I am then free to play WoT for me. Of course I have to keep checking for prospects coming online so I can message them. It's a big time commitment and takes away quite a bit of my actual playing time. And I'm only the recruiter, that's just one job. the Commander has even more work, as do the XO's.

* You need to setup your voice coms, with multiple channels for various purposes and varying permissions.

* You need to setup a training program and hold regular trainings, especially if your target is new players.

* You need to hold regular, almost daily activities, the only way to keep a clan active is to constantly have things for people to do.

* You need callers for strongholds, tournies and such. And training for new callers.

* You need to recruit and train clan members for leadership positions. And make sure they are doing their assigned job.

* You'll need to deal with personality conflicts and handle drama queens.

* And a million other chores that I can't think of off the top of my head right now.

I'm advising you not to do this, but you're certainly free to decide for yourself. It just seems to me that you don't understand the scope of what you're getting into.

StainlessRat #10 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 20:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 33906 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
+1 for Slone’s comments. Well said and 100% accurate.

Slone #11 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 03:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19038 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

View PostStainlessRat, on Oct 10 2018 - 14:01, said:

+1 for Slone’s comments. 

Ironic that you replied, I just finished reading 4 of Harry Harrison's books in the SSR series. Dug through a box in the basement for light, beach reading, all yellow pages and dog eared from back in the 70's, read them all a half a dozen times, I'll never throw them out. Rolicking good fun.

_Promote_Synergy_ #12 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 13:17

Captain

• Players
  • 16108 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

OP. Your best bet is to join an existing clan that is open to training new people that started out in the game not long ago. With your current skill set and abilities not many people will want to join your clan, let alone better players that are capable of training other players. Get your skill up and see where you are at around 6-10k battles. :)

Good luck tanker!

yewchung #13 Posted Oct 15 2018 - 06:52

Major

• Players
  • 21795 battles
  • [NEWBI] NEWBI

View Post_Promote_Synergy_, on Oct 11 2018 - 20:17, said:

OP. Your best bet is to join an existing clan that is open to training new people that started out in the game not long ago. With your current skill set and abilities not many people will want to join your clan, let alone better players that are capable of training other players. Get your skill up and see where you are at around 6-10k battles. :)

Good luck tanker!

^this
If you aren't pro you're not going to attract a lot of players for the clan.

TrevorsT112 #14 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 20:53

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5038 battles

View PostSlone, on Oct 10 2018 - 02:04, said:

Given that you have SO much to learn about the base game, how do you plan to lead the effort 'where new players can practice working in a team'? I mean no disrespect, it's an honest question. How do you intend to lead an effort which you know almost nothing about?

As far as the work required for a clan, I've recruited for every clan I have been in, so just the task of recruiting. I check the forum several times a day to look for people 'LFK' (Looking For a Clan). I check each person out on WoT Labs and several other sites. I check their numbers as far as WN8, Win %, K/D, recents. Then I check their tanks mix, see what meta tanks they have in T10, T8 and T6, and how they do in each. Then I check their clan history (I really am not interested in someone who regularly jumps clans). If someone passes muster, I type them a message on the forum with info about the clan and invite them to meet us. At this time I also address any previous messages that got a reply. I also try to bump our clan recruiting thread once a day or so. When I log onto WoT I immediately look for anyone I have written to and try to strike up a conversation, if possible get them to visit our Team Speak. I then get on our Team Speak where I'll go to the recruiting room and update the prospects list (delete off those who have picked a clan and add the new prospects). If a prospect does log on to TS I will talk to them, answer any questions, introduce them to the group, try to arrange a platoon or Stronghold spot for them. I'f I'm in their toon or stronk I will observe their play and interaction with the group, making notes for later discussion with the other officers. Whenever all those tasks are addressed, I am then free to play WoT for me. Of course I have to keep checking for prospects coming online so I can message them. It's a big time commitment and takes away quite a bit of my actual playing time. And I'm only the recruiter, that's just one job. the Commander has even more work, as do the XO's.

* You need to setup your voice coms, with multiple channels for various purposes and varying permissions.

* You need to setup a training program and hold regular trainings, especially if your target is new players.

* You need to hold regular, almost daily activities, the only way to keep a clan active is to constantly have things for people to do.

* You need callers for strongholds, tournies and such. And training for new callers.

* You need to recruit and train clan members for leadership positions. And make sure they are doing their assigned job.

* You'll need to deal with personality conflicts and handle drama queens.

* And a million other chores that I can't think of off the top of my head right now.

I'm advising you not to do this, but you're certainly free to decide for yourself. It just seems to me that you don't understand the scope of what you're getting into.

HI Slone, thanks for your input again. Oh and BTW, none taken! Well to start, that is certainly a handful by the sounds of it, and I am sure you left a lot of tasks out. But taking a step back, I can also see that there is a big difference between the Clan you are currently recruiting for, and what I had in mind. Your group is very serious, and is focused on improving competitive play from what I can gather on your Clan page. Most of what you detail in your last post seems to verify that. This I think is probably pretty much the way most Clans operate, or at least intend to operate. I wanted to try and promote something much more low key where players could work at a few basic principles of team play while having fun. Having joined a Clan before, I left after several months because there was absolutely no interaction to speak of in terms of developing new players, and this was supposed to be a Clan that encouraged new players to join. That Clan was being run by what seemed to be a real good group of guys with a lot of experience, but other then the initial platoon session to evaluate me before admission to the Clan, there was very little opportunity to play in a group beyond that, which is what brought about the desire to promote something less focused on competitive play. I can see that WOT has a large user base of experienced players with a good number of players between just starting out and not bad. And I think we could agree that it is not easy for new players to jump into that mx without feeling a littler discouraged at first. So with that in mind, the following points cover the general outline of my intentions.

In answer to your opening question, the focus of the proposed Clan is meant to be on the collective group of players and not on any individual leader. I would see myself more as an organizer as opposed to the leader of this Clan. If I understand correctly, an application approval is no longer needed in WOT which should decrease some of the work a little. In terms of teaching proper game play, there is virtually an unlimited amount of both text and video material that could be used as focal points, and individual Clan members could take it upon themselves to decide what aspect they would like to practice and in which order. This is actually one of the few points you have made that I can say I disagree with. You do not have to be a proficient player to be able to recognize good game play or proper technique IMO. To be considered good, one certainly has to perfect his/her technique, but it is not a necessary component to organize a Clan or to be able to recognize when a tactical error was made. This of course does not speak to whether or not a Clan like this would be successful in generating interest. As an example to the above, I have seen time and time again where 1 experienced player is able to knock out 3 or 4 inexperienced players grouped together because they do not support each other. You don’t have to be an experienced player to recognize when that happens, and looking at someones stats offers no clue as to what that person understands or knows about tactical game play and game mechanics. Working in small coordinated groups may sound simple to the experienced player, but is so often ignored by new players. 

My intention would be to leave the Clan open to anyone at any tier with the only rule being good sportsmanship in game play. Where most Clans focus on the big benefits from stronghold and global map, this Clan would focus more on learning effective team play more likely in platoons during random battles. If enough interest was generated and a group of Clan members wanted to participate in stronghold or global map, nothing would be in the way to stop them from doing that. Like I have already mentioned, the focus would be on practicing working effectively in small groups during random battles with the intention of building stronger players. In terms of recruiting members, especially those already considered to be experienced players, my intention was to provide different methods of incentive such as rewards for in-Clan competitions. So I guess the best way to classify this Clan would be to call it a social Clan where members can have fun learning and practicing good game play with an incentive to improve. But as you have already pointed out, the amount of work required may be much more then I have originally anticipated, and I may have to rethink how much time and commitment I am willing to put in. I do like the game though, and would enjoy fostering others with like interests. Nothing noble here.

Edited by TrevorsT112, Oct 25 2018 - 20:57.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users