@Wargaming - Why am I punished for playing agressive as arty pounds me.

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

LordPorpoise #1 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 02:31

Private

• -Players-
  • 18449 battles
  • [V--S] V--S

I am asking a genuine question, and I would like an answer. I despise camping which is why I am not a huge fan of playing TDs, but frankly I play aggressive to make a play, and if there is arty then I am constantly stunned and receive multiple critical hits from a single artillery shell. 

Matches with three artillery- This is the worst because if I am ever caught in an open position they keep me tracked, stunned, and damaged. Removing the platoon option does not mean they don't work together and frankly if there is 3 arty then they almost always hit a single target until they are dead.

Someone please explain to me why I shouldn't start sitting redline so that I don't receive arty hits.

the_Deadly_Bulb #2 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 02:35

Major

• Players
  • 23138 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostKillaGraham, on Oct 09 2018 - 17:31, said:

I am asking a genuine question, and I would like an answer. I despise camping which is why I am not a huge fan of playing TDs, but frankly I play aggressive to make a play, and if there is arty then I am constantly stunned and receive multiple critical hits from a single artillery shell.

Matches with three artillery- This is the worst because if I am ever caught in an open position they keep me tracked, stunned, and damaged. Removing the platoon option does not mean they don't work together and frankly if there is 3 arty then they almost always hit a single target until they are dead.

Someone please explain to me why I shouldn't start sitting redline so that I don't receive arty hits.

Do as you please.

There are several playstyles that can help avoid skycandy that don't rely on "sitting red line".

LordPorpoise #3 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 02:46

Private

• -Players-
  • 18449 battles
  • [V--S] V--S

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Oct 10 2018 - 02:35, said:

Do as you please.

There are several playstyles that can help avoid skycandy that don't rely on "sitting red line".

I know many playstyles, and I actively use them, thankfully using buildings really is not an option because artillery splash is so big.

I mostly play mediums, so sitting in a bush all day and not getting spotted will not exactly win the game. 

Please read how I am asking about aggressive play being punished by arty. Thank you.

Staz211 #4 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 02:52

Major

• Players
  • 27045 battles
Inb4 "pushing aggressively is camping."

the_Deadly_Bulb #5 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 02:53

Major

• Players
  • 23138 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostKillaGraham, on Oct 09 2018 - 17:46, said:

I know many playstyles, and I actively use them, thankfully using buildings really is not an option because artillery splash is so big.

I mostly play mediums, so sitting in a bush all day and not getting spotted will not exactly win the game.

Please read how I am asking about aggressive play being punished by arty. Thank you.

If you know many playstyles then you're well aware that "sitting red line" isn't the way to avoid arty.

It is the way to loose.

You also know its not one or the other. Its not like you're either sitting red line safe from arty or you're out punishing the OPFOR and being nuked by arty.

There are 15 on your team.

There are a max of 3 arty on OPFOR.

If they are focussing you game after game its most likely because you are making it easy. :honoring:

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Oct 10 2018 - 02:56.

LordPorpoise #6 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 03:04

Private

• -Players-
  • 18449 battles
  • [V--S] V--S

My topic is about being punished for playing aggressively, and I put the "why I shouldn't start sitting redline so that I don't receive arty hits." as example. I apologize for not listing every example, but that really is not what this is supposed to be about.

xrays_ #7 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 03:32

Major

• Players
  • 49171 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View PostKillaGraham, on Oct 09 2018 - 21:04, said:

My topic is about being punished for playing aggressively...

You are the bait. Work that so the rest of your team is able to fight without being the focus.

If you're constantly the one player on your team being hit by artillery, I have to believe it's because you are the only one visible and taking chances. Perhaps you're taking too many chances and not watching the map and your team as much? This is not a dig on you, just a suggestion. Use your own artillery, avoid enemy artillery, win. Again, if you're the one they want, give them glimpses of where you are from time to time, make them miss, then move again. Keep dancing, it can be fun to see just how many shells will miss you, while your own artillery are draining the enemy's health pool.

x.

Da_Craw #8 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 03:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 26107 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
You also get shot by TDs more when you "play aggressively."  And any other tank in the area where you are being aggressive.  It is always a trade off between exposing yourself to enemy fire and taking out opposing tanks.  You also spot more enemy tanks when you do that and allow your team's TDs and arty to have targets.  Frankly, your complaint rings hollow.  You have unicum stats and everything is on a steep upward trajectory, so your "aggressive playstyle" is obviously working for you despite the whining.  Take the arty attention as a compliment and keep going.

UraiFen #9 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 04:01

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13324 battles
  • [1-DBB] 1-DBB
there's maps like Malinkova ( I think that this is how you type it) that theres absolute no way to counter arty as a Heavy. Unless you stay hidden in base.

skytale #10 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 04:31

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11995 battles

View PostKillaGraham, on Oct 10 2018 - 02:31, said:

Your question seems to presume that playing aggressively is or should be the best tactic all the time. It isn’t. Neither is playing passively the correct tactic all the time. When to push, when to ambush, or something in between is a very fluid decision based on your map, your teams make up, what your driving......the list goes on. I think WoT has designed this game to punish over aggression or over passivity. Knowing when to switch between these extremes or moderate them is a challenge. God knows I don’t always get it right. I would suggest you ask if playing aggressively is always the right thing to do.

atila_xD #11 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 04:37

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7267 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
Why would the game want to reward a player who just yolo rushes agressively and dies?

BlackFive #12 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 04:40

Major

• Players
  • 30982 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

Interestingly, when I saw your post... I thought you would be playing slow tanks up front.  But you play similar tanks to what I enjoy.

And yet...

I don't have the same problem you do with getting Artied all the time.

You might be just getting spotted too soon, or allowing yourself to be out of position.  Or not moving once spotted.

Also - large repair kit is your friend.

kapri25 #13 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 04:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13901 battles
  • [13A] 13A
I wonder why people think that arty should never fire at them? You put yourself into a position to be fired upon arty is going to treat you the same way as any other tank would...as a threat to our team. I doubt any one who plays arty is not going to fire upon someone because they have the feels. Each tank class does the same thing. But because arty has a different play style it is somehow evil and wrong. I wonder if you ever felt the same way against a platoon of hidden TDs that opened fire on you as you turned that corner or crested that hill? 

scHnuuudle_bop #14 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 06:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 18558 battles

Have you ever thought , that when you press that battle button, there are going to 15 players who do not want you to play aggressively, and every one of them, no matter the class would love it if you just camped in the back?

It is sort of the point to the entire game, you move aggressively to shoot the red guys, and then they shoot back because they want to be the aggressive ones. The ones who get killed the most lose.

The thing I really like about this game, is the complexity and challenge. I like to think I add to that challenge to some players. And judging by the constant feedback , especially here. That challenge happens.

I love it when some poor player makes the mistake of crossing an open spot. I will take advantage of that, you bet. Then my teammates, all who are in range will feast on your stationary tracked stunned tank, until there is nothing left but a smoking hulk. The faster the better, as there are 14 more of you. Artillery looks for these mistakes, and now a great option with lower damage potential is aiming for the tracks. That sense of satisfaction, as I see the critical hit, and the fantastic pow pop bang, and in 21/2 seconds a big heavy is decimated by every teammate in range. It is a sensational example of why not to get caught in the open.

Although there is one thing, I have never thought it should be in the game. That big Stun timer, it lets me know, that someone has just winged someone and they will be a bit slower, so a better target.

That you get hit all the time, doubt that happens but if so, perhaps stop being in such a hurry to get to your spot, and choose places where you will not get spotted.

I do it all the time, run for a better line at some red tank, 6th sense goes off. I know as soon as artillery gets spotted, all guns turn, and I usually am gone in seconds. After , I realize I should have chosen my route with a bit more care. Always  my fault.

Edited by scHnuuudle_bop, Oct 10 2018 - 06:39.

nosreborg #15 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 06:32

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19776 battles
  • [RT6] RT6

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Oct 09 2018 - 17:35, said:

Do as you please.

https://stratsketch.com/

Please enlighten us with your tactics.  Should be easy enough and a thank you for your time.   

SamVimes #16 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 12:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 13948 battles
"Why am I punished for playing agressive as arty pounds me."

Is that the title of the 'adult film' you are working on?

_Tsavo_ #17 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 13:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 42749 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
You'll have to adapt and find alternative positions with which to control the map.  Sometimes you'll have to risk arty hits to establish map control.   The good news is that you're far less likely to get instanuked now than before the arty buffs. 

Trauglodyte #18 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 13:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 17024 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

As an artillery player, I dislike XVM snipers and 3x artillery games.  I'm putting that out there.

Since you're in Focus, you're obviously a good player and, looking at your stats on Tanks.gg, that is backed up.  You get punished for playing aggressively because your actions tend to cause havoc on teams.  You're not getting picked on for anything other than your aggressive actions lead to dead friendlies.  Furthermore, aggressive tanking tends to leave you out in the open which means, in turn, you're an "easy-ish" target.  Put those two together and you have a free hit on a tank that is probably going to kill my teammates - what would you have me do?  What would you have my non-artillery friendlies do?

I completely get and sympathize why you're asking this question.  Though, I'd counter that with the sentiment that this game isn't a gentleman's duel.  There are no 1 v 1 fights where everyone else sits back and watches.  This is a team based game and artillery's role is that of evening the odds and to make enemy tanks less capable of hurting friendlies, by way of the stun effect.  If you were in a tier 10 tank with a 7 skill crew and were bullying a stock tier 8 tank with a 50% crew, would you come to the board and ask the community why it is fair that his/her teammates stepped in to defend them?  Again, I get your point and I don't want you thinking that I'm making light of it.  The truth is, while I play artillery, I do often struggle with how I feel about it.  Personally, I feel that artillery is still too single shot capable which leads to a lot of frustration like yours.  How am I an AoE area denial weapon when I can just line a shot up on you at 1000 m and land it as a direct hit somewhat reliably?  On the other hand, I also know what players like you are capable of doing so why should I let you actively impede and hurt my team when your actions have left your vulnerable?  See my point?

I would say that, when you're playing the game with artillery present, especially 3x artillery, play like you're lit 100% of the time (if you can see an enemy, someone on that enemy's team can see you which means that artillery can see you).  And, more importantly, always have a back-up plan.  Mike Tyson said it best, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."  When you go aggressive, what is your egress route?  What happens to your plan when you get artied?  Most importantly, remember that artillery is a team weapon that still has roots too deep in the normal tank play style (ie, I can still target you like a normal tank does, via battle assistant).  People make the joke about artillery balancing players well, the joke is real.  When a good-great player goes aggressive against a weak flank, it is up to artillery and TDs to balance the aggression.  Arty just does it with less damage, longer range, and from angles that you wouldn't expect.  Play aggressively but intelligently and the "balance" will be less.

Firemoth #19 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 13:20

Major

• Players
  • 37134 battles

how to avoid arty from focusing you 101. find the nearest player with better stats than you and be within 10m of them. arty cant resist the sweet sweet taste of unicum tears, leaving you relatively safe*.

alternatively, find a player that is literally a bot, arty also cannot resist easy damage farms.

*terms and conditions apply, your survivability may vary

Edited by Firemoth, Oct 10 2018 - 13:21.

shoe123 #20 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 14:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30775 battles
wait for an arty player to come on here and say "blitz"..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users