How to deal with arty when in the open

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Scubasteve_04 #1 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 20:30

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4706 battles

I have learned to constantly judge the position of artillery and keep buildings or cliffs between me and them. But when I get maps like Prokhorovka I get absolutely shot to ribbons. Constant and erratic movement just doesn't seem to cut it all the time. I am playing heavy tanks.

I recently played on Westfield with a D.W.2 in a 5-10 tier 4/5 match with triple arty on both sides. I move to the hill, and was spotted on my side of the ridgeline by an active scout and subsequently killed by artillery in a matter of seconds.

TDRHooRaH #2 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 20:34

Major

• Players
  • 23444 battles

It's just how arty works man.

Get a spall liner for your heavies and make sure you have your crews trained in repairs.

All you can do is keep moving to avoid direct hits.

If you are spotted and being focused by arty try to fall off the radar and let enemy arty focus someone else.

Edited by TDRHooRaH, Oct 11 2018 - 20:36.

Omega_Weapon #3 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 20:41

Major

• Players
  • 48954 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF
Vision control is key. You don't need to be in an arty safe location if you are not being spotted. Try to keep unlit as much as possible. If you do get spotted, either eliminate the spotter or find some type of cover. When neither one of those is an option, just do your best to jink and be unpredictable, while hoping your arty is doing a better job than the enemy arty.

Scubasteve_04 #4 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 20:44

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4706 battles

View PostTDRHooRaH, on Oct 11 2018 - 13:34, said:

It's just how arty works man.

Get a spall liner for your heavies and make sure you have your crews trained in repairs.

All you can do is keep moving to avoid direct hits.

If you are spotted and being focused by arty try to fall off the radar and let enemy arty focus someone else.

Spall liner? I am losing 80% of my HP in a single hit, I don't see how that is going to help.

Scubasteve_04 #5 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 20:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4706 battles

View PostOmega_Weapon, on Oct 11 2018 - 13:41, said:

Vision control is key. You don't need to be in an arty safe location if you are not being spotted. Try to keep unlit as much as possible. If you do get spotted, either eliminate the spotter or find some type of cover. When neither one of those is an option, just do your best to jink and be unpredictable, while hoping your arty is doing a better job than the enemy arty.

Be more specific to the Westfield example. You are a bottom tier German heavy, southwest spawn, with triple enemy arty. Where do you go? Bear in mind that fast scouts are cresting the hill at C3 C4 and they are extremely hard to hit.

TDRHooRaH #6 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 20:50

Major

• Players
  • 23444 battles

View PostScubasteve_04, on Oct 11 2018 - 14:44, said:

Spall liner? I am losing 80% of my HP in a single hit, I don't see how that is going to help.

Are you using one?

They help by allowing you to take less damage from HE shells and help crew members form injury.

Bolted_On #7 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 20:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 62284 battles
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO
Not only on those open maps, but any map, when you have 3 sky cancers per side (which seems to be the norm now), do whatever you need to do to NOT get spotted.  That typically means base camping, because remember, arty was installed in the game to PREVENT base camping.   Don't make yourself a target by actively attempting to help your team, because remember, arty was installed to prevent camping.  

Scubasteve_04 #8 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 21:02

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4706 battles

View PostTDRHooRaH, on Oct 11 2018 - 13:50, said:

Are you using one?

They help by allowing you to take less damage from HE shells and help crew members form injury.

Spall liners would not save me when I get hit for 95% of my HP, perma stunned and tracked and killed. So no, I don't use one. It's pissing into the wind.

TristanXD6 #9 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 21:05

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15930 battles
  • [NXGEN] NXGEN

View PostScubasteve_04, on Oct 11 2018 - 11:44, said:

On the D.W.2, it won't help much. That tank doesn't have thick armor, so it already has low HE protection. Also, spall liners only reduce HE damage from non penetrating hits. Spall liners are more useful for tanks that are large and slow, or are otherwise prime targets for enemy SPG's.

As for ways to deal with arty in the open, there really isn't in a slow heavy tank. You can do small things such as try to keep hills between you and the enemy SPG's or keep further to the back to make it harder for scouts to spot you, but other than that your best bets are to find any sort of cover around you or to take out their scouts quickly.

Evil_Putin #10 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 21:20

Major

• Players
  • 15833 battles

View PostScubasteve_04, on Oct 11 2018 - 14:47, said:

Be more specific to the Westfield example. You are a bottom tier German heavy, southwest spawn, with triple enemy arty. Where do you go? Bear in mind that fast scouts are cresting the hill at C3 C4 and they are extremely hard to hit.

Go mid village, i.e e5/f6 and snipe either way. You'll also be arty safe and unlikely to be targeted as northern groups are a better target and provide for hitting several tanks at once. If you got speed, go k line south and use bushes to not get lit while you snipe. Westfield is tough to relocate between sides because of the valley that takes forwver to climb out of, but on other maps if you get spotted, relocate to an entirely different location i.e. other side of the map. Most likely, arty won't bother waiting to turn that far and zoom and will just pick another target close to where you used to be. 

View PostScubasteve_04, on Oct 11 2018 - 15:02, said:

Spall liners would not save me when I get hit for 95% of my HP, perma stunned and tracked and killed. So no, I don't use one. It's pissing into the wind.

Try it and that 95% will turn into 20% and less crew damage. However, there isn't much you can do if you get caught with your pants down aka permatracked in the open and gangbanged by multiple arties at once - that's on you and you should take it as your own mistake. 

FrozenKemp #11 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 21:21

Major

• Players
  • 49091 battles
On Westfield I think going to the central village is definitely an option, especially when you see 3 equal or higher tier arty.

Sensei_101 #12 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 21:49

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17111 battles

Keep moving, try to be unpredictable. 

Unless you’re stationary arty is shooting where they think you are going to be. Not where you are.

Its surprising, if you play both, how many times the target drives right in to it.

Edited by Sensei_101, Oct 11 2018 - 21:50.

heavymetal1967 #13 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 21:59

Major

• Players
  • 66586 battles

View PostScubasteve_04, on Oct 11 2018 - 14:44, said:

On that it won't.  Spalls only help on splash and non penetrating hits and only HE.  Oh and with collisions (i.e. ramming/getting rammed).

HE loses half of it's damage potential on the outside of the tank/armor if it fails it's pen check.  If you got hammered for 80 percent then a spall wouldn't have helped.

You answered your question in your opener.  Constant and erratic movement is your best bet. So this isn't as much to you as a general shout out. And it's pretty much been covered by the earlier poster.

Also if you can find some defilade to give you some elevation/gradient changes when juking back and forth it'll further help stymie arty.  Folks keep those movements erratic and somewhat large.  Don't pattern your movements as they will be predictable, so vary the directions you move back and forth in as well as vary the timing.  Also if you're doing constant and consistent stutter steps or small movements even if they're varied it's easier to keep your "dance pattern" in the center of the reticle.

Omega_Weapon #14 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 22:01

Major

• Players
  • 48954 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostScubasteve_04, on Oct 11 2018 - 14:47, said:

You could get closer to the hills so the scouts won't light you unless they expose themselves over the peak of the hill. If they do so, the TDs in back have shots to take them out. You could try to reach the small rocky outcrop in the north west corner which gives partial protection from arty. You could go into the town where certain buildings give good protection from arty fire (and los). Lastly, since you are in a German Heavy (and bottom tier), you could even go to the wooded slope at the map center and play as a support sniper. None of those are fool-proof strategies, but they give you a fighting chance.

Scubasteve_04 #15 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 22:33

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4706 battles
How about Prokhorovka?

RMxR #16 Posted Oct 11 2018 - 23:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 43198 battles
As an arty player i struggle when heavy tanks use irregular terrain and when they  use heavy spall liners and repair crates.

TsarCidron #17 Posted Oct 12 2018 - 00:28

Major

• Players
  • 6803 battles
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM
You cant stop from being a target.  But, you can still make yourself a difficult target.    Moving erratically, left/right, dont back and forward to the same points on the map. Make the arty work to land the shot. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users