Artillery SPG

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

24_inch_pythons #1 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 21:55

Major

• Players
  • 24533 battles
  • [-P-] -P-

People are blowing the SPG problem out of all proportion to reality. Take a look at WoT replays, the last two patches. If you do you will see some facts about SPGs and their effect on gameplay, post nerf:

1. Unicums are still unicums despite SPGs

2. Tier X arty are capped at about low 7k damage. There is literally 100 pages of non-SPG replays with more damage than this.

- Non SPG replays go up to 13k damage

3. The top damage SPG game is 7,900 damage - on a draw in a T92. With no assistance whatsoever from tracking and only 2,053 stun.

- This is not really that much more overall impact on the game than a good scout would have. Not talking raw damage, overall impact.

4. Of the top 10 damage replays of Tier X SPGs only 4 are wins, 3 are losses and 3 are draws.

And people complain that arty can't be touched because it can't be seen. No, your own friendly artillery has a chance to counter battery fire by watching for tracers. This is one reason why you call out where you were hit from. Not to mention any scout or glass cannon TD driver worth their salt will remain hidden from you the whole time they are ruining your day.

Could there be some tweaks to stun and blast radius? Maybe. But be real about how SPGs "ruin" the game.

_getclicked_ #2 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:00

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 187 battles
  • [MOBB] MOBB

post nerf? arty got nerfed? when? 

stun? HUGE buff 

how about rof? 

dispersion? 

accuracy? 

aim time? 

uh hi yeah what nerf? 

edit: oh yeah how could l forget about splash radius? 

Edited by _getclicked_, Oct 13 2018 - 22:05.

24_inch_pythons #3 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:04

Major

• Players
  • 24533 battles
  • [-P-] -P-

View Post_getclicked_, on Oct 13 2018 - 15:00, said:

stun? HUGE buff 

how about rof? 

dispersion? 

accuracy? 

aim time? 

uh hi yeah what nerf? 

You're funny. Stun does not even come close to making up for what was taken away from SPGs. Tier X SPGs used to do that 13k damage that non-SPG tanks are still getting.

Person012345 #4 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13031 battles
  • [_GOW_] _GOW_

View Post24_inch_pythons, on Oct 13 2018 - 20:55, said:

And people complain that arty can't be touched because it can't be seen. No, your own friendly artillery has a chance to counter battery fire by watching for tracers. This is one reason why you call out where you were hit from. Not to mention any scout or glass cannon TD driver worth their salt will remain hidden from you the whole time they are ruining your day.

Could there be some tweaks to stun and blast radius? Maybe. But be real about how SPGs "ruin" the game.

Let me know when people actually do that. It's all well and good for you arty players to theoycraft like this but back here in reality, arty is still all shooting at light and medium tanks, not doing effective CB. Being hidden is fundamentally different from being able to click you from absolute perfect safety. It always has been and always will be. It's not good, I don't like how invisible certain tanks are, but it's different.

_getclicked_ #5 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:07

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 187 battles
  • [MOBB] MOBB

View Post24_inch_pythons, on Oct 13 2018 - 22:04, said:

You're funny. Stun does not even come close to making up for what was taken away from SPGs. Tier X SPG's used to do that 13k damage that non-SPG tanks are still getting.

what wg did was turn arty from a straight up damage dealer to a support class. they stun tanks and have super good accuracy which allows them to support pushes and teammates. 

However, wg was still able to keep arty a relevant class that is both even more enjoyable to play and has carry potential. 

CynicalDutchie #6 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:07

Major

• Players
  • 40746 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC
Arty shouldn't be in the game to begin with. Stun wasn't a nerf to arty, it was a buff. They're more cancerous than ever now.

_getclicked_ #7 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:08

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 187 battles
  • [MOBB] MOBB

View PostPerson012345, on Oct 13 2018 - 22:06, said:

Let me know when people actually do that. It's all well and good for you arty players to theoycraft like this but back here in reality, arty is still all shooting at light and medium tanks, not doing effective CB. Being hidden is fundamentally different from being able to click you from absolute perfect safety. It always has been and always will be. It's not good, I don't like how invisible certain tanks are, but it's different.

this is true ^ i know that l'd rather use my arty to shoot at heavy tanks that l can hit effectively while they're on the move and do consistent damage and stun (which also gives me exp bonus if they're damaged when stunned) than watching for a tracer 

Person012345 #8 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13031 battles
  • [_GOW_] _GOW_

View Post_getclicked_, on Oct 13 2018 - 21:08, said:

this is true ^ i know that l'd rather use my arty to shoot at heavy tanks that l can hit effectively while they're on the move and do consistent damage and stun (which also gives me exp bonus if they're damaged when stunned) than watching for a tracer 

Just to say, I don't think doing CB is a particularly useful or worthwhile thing either, even if I would love arty just to focus on killing each other the whole game. It used to be something that was done, although it was rarely particularly effective as people could move between shots and I guess arty just got tired of firing and moving and watching for tracers because I haven't seen any arty kill an unspotted enemy arty since I started playing the game again. It definitely seems to be something that died somewhere along all the changes.

I_QQ_4_U #9 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 18346 battles

View Post_getclicked_, on Oct 13 2018 - 22:00, said:

stun? HUGE buff 

how about rof? 

dispersion? 

accuracy? 

aim time? 

uh hi yeah what nerf? 

edit: oh yeah how could l forget about splash radius? 

Stun is meh, I couldn't care less with it or without it. It might be annoying occasionally to those that get it but it does little for the SPG player unless they only shoot at tanks that they don't need to be.

RoF was barely changed and not always for the better.

Dispersion? See above though I don't think there were any nerfs.

Accuracy and dispersion are the same thing.

Aim time, the only truly big buff.

Splash was nice, more of a buff to French SPG's that didn't have much to begin with, really dfidn't notice it as much with the US line which already had it in spades. Didn't play any other lines pre 9.18 but the UK line so far seems pretty unimpressive as far is it splash ability goes.

Don't forget a 50% reduction in alpha and pen, a huge VR nerf and loss of anything but HE rounds.

Overall they were heavily nerfed but they were made more consistent in damage and perhaps less frustrating overall although I do miss those huge damage games, even if they were rare.

Edited by I_QQ_4_U, Oct 13 2018 - 22:17.

_getclicked_ #10 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:17

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 187 battles
  • [MOBB] MOBB

View PostPerson012345, on Oct 13 2018 - 22:15, said:

Just to say, I don't think doing CB is a particularly useful or worthwhile thing either, even if I would love arty just to focus on killing each other the whole game. It used to be something that was done, although it was rarely particularly effective as people could move between shots and I guess arty just got tired of firing and moving and watching for tracers because I haven't seen any arty kill an unspotted enemy arty since I started playing the game again. It definitely seems to be something that died somewhere along all the changes.

l've been playing solely arty the past 2-3 days and the only time l experienced CB fire was on prok and i never died because l could just move after l fired. the enemy arty spent the entire game trying to kill me and failed while l spent the game pounding their heavies on the hill with consistent stun causing our allied tanks to easily push and win the game. 

CB is not a valid counter to arty. there is none. 

OttoT #11 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:19

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 49010 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC

View PostCynicalDutchie, on Oct 13 2018 - 12:07, said:

Arty shouldn't be in the game to begin with. Stun wasn't a nerf to arty, it was a buff. They're more cancerous than ever now.

Arty should have always been an off map asset.  However since they dont agree i shall abuse people with it when i play.

Shortcult #12 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:20

Major

• Players
  • 37139 battles

The only arty I even bother to CB with is the GW Tiger (P) as it can in fact one shot enemy arty.  All the rest of my arty it is a waste of time to need three shots to kill one enemy arty, better off putting shots into pushes or hard spots.

Just this week I deleted all three enemy arty on Province (stupid map) with the Tiger (P).  Most fun that can be had in an arty is deleting other arty.

Hurk #13 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:20

Major

• Players
  • 52207 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostPerson012345, on Oct 13 2018 - 14:06, said:

i have plenty of CB done. most teams are useless and dont tell me where they are hit from. 

TRK213_Turkey #14 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:22

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6331 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
I was in a match today in which, between the two sides, SPGs accounted for 17 or the 29 kills recorded.  Two of the enemy SPGs got 11 kills between them and did more damage than the rest of the red team combined. 

I_QQ_4_U #15 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 18346 battles

View PostTRK213_Turkey, on Oct 13 2018 - 22:22, said:

I was in a match today in which, between the two sides, SPGs accounted for 17 or the 29 kills recorded.  Two of the enemy SPGs got 11 kills between them and did more damage than the rest of the red team combined. 

When that happens it usually means both teams were full of bad players. When that happens they tend to not be able to hit each other and are too passive to push an advantage so having two teams that don't move is a dream for a half competent SPG player. Most of the games I have in an SPG were I am in the top three in damage are losses, draws or very close because either my team sucked and did no damage or the game dragged on a long time.

24_inch_pythons #16 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:33

Major

• Players
  • 24533 battles
  • [-P-] -P-

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Oct 13 2018 - 15:28, said:

Most of the games I have in an SPG were I am in the top three in damage are losses, draws or very close because either my team sucked and did no damage or the game dragged on a long time.

See #4  above. Arty just doesn't have the overall positive effect on w/r that a non support unit with the same damage output would have.

NutrientibusMeaGallus #17 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:35

Major

• Players
  • 20571 battles
  • [FILOX] FILOX
 It's not the mechanics that need changing, it's just 3 arty is too much on each side. They need to cap it at one or two per side.

DrWho_ #18 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15050 battles

View PostShortcult, on Oct 13 2018 - 22:20, said:

The only arty I even bother to CB with is the GW Tiger (P) as it can in fact one shot enemy arty.  All the rest of my arty it is a waste of time to need three shots to kill one enemy arty, better off putting shots into pushes or hard spots.

Just this week I deleted all three enemy arty on Province (stupid map) with the Tiger (P).  Most fun that can be had in an arty is deleting other arty.

When I'm playing my M44 I may do some CB but in my M40 .... with a 40 sec reload I don't spend much time firing at unlit targets

DrWho_ #19 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:42

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15050 battles

View PostNutrientibusMeaGallus, on Oct 13 2018 - 22:35, said:

It's not the mechanics that need changing, it's just 3 arty is too much on each side. They need to cap it at one or two per side.

This is something I can agree with, there are too may people playing arty to cap it at 1 as the ques would be too long for them but 2 might be doable

I would cap the amount of TDs in a battle as well even though that's the class I play the most. 7-8 TDs in a battle is just too much and everyone just goes camping

Edited by DrWho_, Oct 13 2018 - 22:42.

moon111 #20 Posted Oct 13 2018 - 22:56

Major

• Players
  • 30878 battles

It's funny when people say 'counter-battery'.  I have literately driven my french arty to the other side of the map, poked through a bush to spot the enemy arty pointing the other way.  Backed up into cover and hit him directly in the rear...  ...and it didn't kill him.

You've nerfed Arty to the point it can't guarantee a kill another Arty!

Most of the counter-battery I've faced, removes some of my HP... ...which really doesn't matter in an SPG whether it's 1000 or 1.  And stuns me for less then my reload time.

RNG stays... counter-battery is utterly a lost cause.

Also tagged with Artillery, SPG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users