Some real thoughts about SPGs.

Artillery SPG

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Rundog #81 Posted Oct 17 2018 - 17:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28438 battles

The arty buff changed focus from heavies/tds to lights/meds. My X lights are hit so often by arty. With the splash I'm regularly fired at while moving in a light.

Edit. Just now. T71 went in to hit 2 tanks to stop them capping. Driving away, killed by arty. Wee.

Edited by Rundog, Oct 17 2018 - 17:25.

dunniteowl #82 Posted Oct 17 2018 - 20:24

Major

• -Players-
  • 22659 battles

View PostRundog, on Oct 17 2018 - 10:20, said:

The arty buff changed focus from heavies/tds to lights/meds. My X lights are hit so often by arty. With the splash I'm regularly fired at while moving in a light.

Edit. Just now. T71 went in to hit 2 tanks to stop them capping. Driving away, killed by arty. Wee.

Not true at all in my case.  HVYs are like Steak and LTs are snacks.  While I like snacking all day long, I do have to have me some meat.  

In truth, I pick whatever target looks to be the most troublesome.  An LT zipping around the map, staying lit and in range gives me time, while I am aiming in at the big tanks, to figure out if they have a pattern to their movement.  Or, are they moving well, but no matter what, their objective is Point X on the map?  If so, guess where I'm going to place my shot for that zippy little LT?  Right where he obviously HAS to go to be safe when he stops.  So I stop him from getting there if I can.

I don't really care too much if I don't erase him on the spot.  They're small enough that the damage I do will cost a Repair Kit and maybe a First Aid Kit.  If they don't have them at that time, then I wait for my next round and take a gun off the map.

Last night I did that while I also pounded the crap out of a 1150 HP tank (not sure what it was other than a tier VII) that I almost completely killed while it was hiding on the other side from two of my team's HVY tanks, a MED and a TD, all of whom couldn't get a shot in until I had him down to 200 HP or so.  During that process, I eliminated:  2 LTs speeding up the middle of Steppes, one TD doing the same and a MED that just sat there at the end of my range for three shots -- all while peppering that HVY.

It was a Really Bad Team, in my estimation, because those charging units I helped take out coming up center should have been able to completely ruin the current deployment -- except they never made it far enough to be a concern beyond one or two shots their way while our TD/MED forward observers popped them after I stopped them -- I do my best to hit them when they are open to direct fire so as to eliminate a gun.  It's called Focus Fire for a reason.  SPG players would do well to recall that and so would Direct Fire players.  Let Arty do a round or two, then go in and finish them off.  No need to Face Hug at every opportunity.  Unless you are already brawling closing distance and Face Hugging is just STUPID TACTICS.  You literally prevent your team from helping you, direct fire or indirect fire.  You reduce the chances of success for your team by being stupidly selfish, thinking, "this is how you have to do it," when it could be the worst idea you've had all day.

Let your team help you, keep your distance and allow your team mates to focus fire.  All of them.

OvO

Skybourne87 #83 Posted Oct 24 2018 - 20:24

Private

• Players
  • 7328 battles
lmbo, I love hearing people STILL [edited]about arty even after it's been changed due to all the crybabies (yes that means you), get the [edited]over it and learn how to use cover effectively or go back to garage, it's as simple as that, end of story...

QuicksilverJPR #84 Posted Oct 24 2018 - 21:21

Major

• Players
  • 25878 battles
  • [RPG] RPG

View Postmoon111, on Oct 13 2018 - 16:56, said:

It's funny when people say 'counter-battery'.  I have literately driven my french arty to the other side of the map, poked through a bush to spot the enemy arty pointing the other way.  Backed up into cover and hit him directly in the rear...  ...and it didn't kill him.

You've nerfed Arty to the point it can't guarantee a kill another Arty!

Most of the counter-battery I've faced, removes some of my HP... ...which really doesn't matter in an SPG whether it's 1000 or 1.  And stuns me for less then my reload time.

RNG stays... counter-battery is utterly a lost cause.

And yet SPGs can damn near (or actually) one shot most same tier or lower light tanks on the move without issue...

So using that established logic...SPGs must have much better armor, in comparison to LTs.

Also tagged with Artillery, SPG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users