ARTY!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

ulliklliwi #1 Posted Oct 21 2018 - 12:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 17378 battles
  • [FKX] FKX

HMMM, here's a no brainer! Don't allow arty to see tanks outside the "MAX DRAW DISTANCE" (you know that yellow circle on your mini-map). OR else allow everyone to see past the "MAX DRAW DISTANCE"!!

Its just unfair!

Walter49 #2 Posted Oct 21 2018 - 13:00

Major

• Players
  • 41189 battles
  • [SG] SG
For crying out loud!

PuddleSplasher #3 Posted Oct 21 2018 - 13:29

Major

• Players
  • 36768 battles
Run along guys. Nothing of interest in this topic. It's just another butt-hurt Arty whining child. :popcorn:

Almighty_Johnson #4 Posted Oct 21 2018 - 13:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 22282 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

To be technical, Arty CAN'T see past max render range.

In overhead, the arty is relying on the direct line of sight of a teammate who IS within render distance.

It's called having a Forward Observer, and it's pretty much how arty works in real life.  Especially in modern warfare, with the use of live video feeds and GPS positioning.

So, please stop trolling with Arty hate.  This topic is the dead horse that the dead horse was beating.

TLWiz #5 Posted Oct 21 2018 - 14:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 20734 battles
  • [DSSRT] DSSRT

ViseGrip #6 Posted Oct 21 2018 - 14:15

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 42987 battles
  • [ROCKY] ROCKY

View Postulliklliwi, on Oct 21 2018 - 11:59, said:

HMMM, here's a no brainer! Don't allow arty to see tanks outside the "MAX DRAW DISTANCE" (you know that yellow circle on your mini-map). OR else allow everyone to see past the "MAX DRAW DISTANCE"!!

Its just unfair!

Nah I got a better idea....... Make all tanks visible all the time......... except arty.

TeamTerrible #7 Posted Oct 21 2018 - 14:17

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3786 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Postulliklliwi, on Oct 21 2018 - 06:59, said:

HMMM, here's a no brainer!

ViseGrip #8 Posted Oct 21 2018 - 14:20

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 42987 battles
  • [ROCKY] ROCKY

View PostAlmighty_Johnson, on Oct 21 2018 - 12:40, said:

In overhead, the arty is relying on the direct line of sight of a teammate who IS within render distance.

It's called having a Forward Observer, and it's pretty much how arty works in real life.  Especially in modern warfare, with the use of live video feeds and GPS positioning.

So, please stop trolling with Arty hate.  This topic is the dead horse that the dead horse was beating.

Was attached to an arty division... And you are 100% correct we worked with a forward observer that would give location of target and arty would fire..... WE NEVER EVER RARELY missed our targets... Not like in this game. The guys on the ground loved us, we would pound the hell out of a position so they could move in and clean up... We saved countless lives... the enemy not so much.

BillDing1 #9 Posted Oct 21 2018 - 15:15

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6352 battles

View Postulliklliwi, on Oct 21 2018 - 12:59, said:

Its just unfair!

This change is probably the worst ideas for a change of arty from the forum. It makes game play of arty the most different and doesn't help with most of the complaints of arty except making them able to be spotted and killed in the first 5 minutes, They would still derp tanks for 1k randomly, still shoot you going 55 wale zig-zaging, still shoot you from behind buildings, still track you and kill 1/2 your crew, and on like 1/3 of the maps would still have areas that are nearly impossible to spot without yoloing. I've seen allot of other ideas thrown around not all fix the problems and none fix the "sky cancer" aspect of indirect fire but things like way slower shell time, better accuracy traded for longer aim time, a siege mode where they can only shoot a certain portion of the map with out redeploying, more recognizable shell tracing for easier counter battery, making them not use he shells and instead do a fixed amount of damage like a % of hp, making the overhead view update not in real time (like snapshots of the battle from a spy plane), having them have longer stun but not track you and kill 1/2 your crew, making their position glow on the map after firing. all are solutions to one or two of the complaints about arty that don't make the class lt bait and fodder on 1/2 the maps and unchanged on the other 1/2. 

HOTA_CHATON #10 Posted Oct 21 2018 - 15:25

Major

• Players
  • 12650 battles
  • [GOLB] GOLB

View Postulliklliwi, on Oct 21 2018 - 05:59, said:

Its just unfair!

They don't.  A decent Arty player already knows where to aim.  The hurt is strong in OP's posterior.

PuddleSplasher #11 Posted Oct 21 2018 - 15:31

Major

• Players
  • 36768 battles

View PostBillDing1, on Oct 21 2018 - 14:15, said:

I've seen allot of other ideas thrown around not all fix the problems and none fix the "sky cancer" aspect of indirect fire but things like way slower shell time, better accuracy traded for longer aim time, a siege mode where they can only shoot a certain portion of the map with out redeploying, more recognizable shell tracing for easier counter battery, making them not use he shells and instead do a fixed amount of damage like a % of hp, making the overhead view update not in real time (like snapshots of the battle from a spy plane), having them have longer stun but not track you and kill 1/2 your crew, making their position glow on the map after firing. all are solutions to one or two of the complaints about arty that don't make the class lt bait and fodder on 1/2 the maps and unchanged on the other 1/2. 

I have read this post twice and yet it still makes no sense.

However with a childish reference proclaiming a pixellated image of a rendered tank as a CANCERis merely indicative of yet another Arty hater.

May I suggest that we all run along, yet again as the children are out in force today. Prehaps Moms are allowing them some game-time before their bath for school in the morning.

Mojo_Riesing #12 Posted Oct 21 2018 - 15:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18041 battles
  • [ACATS] ACATS

View PostAlmighty_Johnson, on Oct 21 2018 - 04:40, said:

View PostTLWiz, on Oct 21 2018 - 05:00, said:

Sometimes a picture just says it all.  

dunniteowl #13 Posted Oct 21 2018 - 23:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 22680 battles

View Postulliklliwi, on Oct 21 2018 - 05:59, said:

Its just unfair!

You get spotted by my team, I can see you.  I spot you, my SPG team mate(s) can see you.  That's how it works.

Not fair?

That's just Kwazy Talk.  Learn to deal and adapt.  We all have been there.

Oh, and TLWiz?  That was funny, Funny, FUNNY!  I have a Magic 8 Ball and when I saw that comic you posted I guffawed loudly!

Best laugh I've had in a while.

OvO

mrmojo #14 Posted Oct 21 2018 - 23:24

Major

• Players
  • 20055 battles
  • [-LEG-] -LEG-
Arty can be annoying but this is a very bad suggestion.

Benjeeh_CA #15 Posted Oct 22 2018 - 14:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30096 battles
  • [DBLTP] DBLTP

View PostPuddleSplasher, on Oct 21 2018 - 06:31, said:

I have read this post twice and yet it still makes no sense.

However with a childish reference proclaiming a pixellated image of a rendered tank as a CANCERis merely indicative of yet another Arty hater.

May I suggest that we all run along, yet again as the children are out in force today. Prehaps Moms are allowing them some game-time before their bath for school in the morning.

while all of us "childish" arty haters run along  your welcome to hobble away on that crutch of yours 

Whistling_Death_ #16 Posted Oct 28 2018 - 01:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 59962 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

Every battle, without fail, my artillery is outnumbered by 12-14 tanks! It's not faiiirrrrrr! Tanks are broken and need to be removed from the game! I'm telling mommy Wargaming! It's not faiiiirrrrrrr mommmyyy!!!”

d3xdt3_IRL #17 Posted Oct 28 2018 - 23:11

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8874 battles
  • [TOFC] TOFC

Arty is already nerfed to an extreme.  Anyone still complaining about playing against arty is just looking for something to complain about.  The fact is, artillery should have the comparable hit points as every other tank.  In stead, they are easy one shots in almost every case.  Artillery should have comparable view range as every other tank.  In stead, they are typically at least 100 m shorter view range meaning that they will ALWAYS be spotted before spotting an approaching vehicle.  Artillery should have comparable reload times as similar caliber guns in the game.  Instead, the FV4005, which has a 183 mm gun has a 2 round/min reload time, 1150 damage, and 3 second aim time, while Object 261, which has a 180 mm has a 1.88 round/min, 900 damage, and 4.5 second aim time.

The problem is, WG initially didn't know if artillery would serve as direct fire or area of effect.  As direct fire, meaning being able to target individual elements, then the gameplay prior to 9.18 was, while not perfect, more in line with this role.  Since 9.18, WG has attempted to implement arty as a area of effect, which is more appropriate.  Unfortunately, the approach used is flat out dumb.  A better approach would be to distribute the potential damage of each shot over the area of the aim circle.  Then the damage received by a vehicle would correspond with the ratio of their surface area exposed in the line of fire to the area of the aim circle.  This would make arty much more deterministic and would allow arty shell damage to return to values prior to 9.18.  It is possible that large vehicles will receive the majority of the damage of a particular shot if the arty is fully aimed and the aim circle is small, but it would also benefit smaller vehicles by reducing the surface area ratio. 

One more issue is the tracer mechanic of arty.  This should NOT be unique to artillery units.  WG should assign a tracer mechanic to every gun above a minimum caliber.  My vote would be 150 mm.  This would limit TD's with large calibers from using bush mechanics and would add more utility to arty in that they can counter large calibers that aren't detected through the current counter-battery mode.

EmperorJuliusCaesar #18 Posted Oct 29 2018 - 15:37

Major

• Players
  • 30451 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View Postulliklliwi, on Oct 21 2018 - 18:59, said:

Its just unfair!

Why so you can red-line snipe to avoid it?  No, it does what it does for a reason.

n4cer67 #19 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 20:44

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17057 battles
  • [NAAP] NAAP
The no brainer is SPG's can see targets that are spotted by their allies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users