Jump to content


Any Star Trek Fans?

Star Trek Off Topic Conversation

  • Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

xXTheGameAceXx #81 Posted Oct 27 2018 - 02:45

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 11473 battles
  • 673
  • Member since:
    10-07-2015

View PostLeaveIT2Beaver, on Oct 26 2018 - 20:05, said:

I would like to see Spock's son

 

Hmm, that would be interesting, although according to records he doesn't have a wife (with T'Pring was annulled), although I suppose it could be written in that in his later years he ended up having a son.

Might make for an interesting character that comes up once in a while like Q.


Edited by xXTheGameAceXx, Oct 27 2018 - 02:58.


Omega_Weapon #82 Posted Oct 27 2018 - 03:57

    Major

  • Players
  • 52876 battles
  • 2,595
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF
  • Member since:
    11-15-2011

View PostxXTheGameAceXx, on Oct 26 2018 - 20:45, said:

 

Hmm, that would be interesting, although according to records he doesn't have a wife (with T'Pring was annulled), although I suppose it could be written in that in his later years he ended up having a son.

Might make for an interesting character that comes up once in a while like Q.

 

If I remember correctly, Saavik was supposed to get pregnant after she and Spock had relations in Star Trek 3.



xXTheGameAceXx #83 Posted Oct 27 2018 - 04:17

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 11473 battles
  • 673
  • Member since:
    10-07-2015

View PostOmega_Weapon, on Oct 26 2018 - 21:57, said:

 

If I remember correctly, Saavik was supposed to get pregnant after she and Spock had relations in Star Trek 3.

 

Abram's timeline, correct? Haven't seen the 3 alternate timeline movies, and I was only able to double check based on Memory Alpha.

 

Also what would everyone think of Sisko making a return at some point?



MichaelWells #84 Posted Oct 27 2018 - 06:09

    Private

  • Beta Testers
  • 7354 battles
  • 3
  • [RC] RC
  • Member since:
    09-01-2010
Depends on what you count as star trek.  in my mind, it specifically excludes any lens flaring movies JJ Abrams did.  And ST Discovery is partially cannon, in my view as they just ignore too many things to be accepted at face value.

xXTheGameAceXx #85 Posted Oct 27 2018 - 06:30

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 11473 battles
  • 673
  • Member since:
    10-07-2015

View PostMichaelWells, on Oct 27 2018 - 00:09, said:

Depends on what you count as star trek.  in my mind, it specifically excludes any lens flaring movies JJ Abrams did.  And ST Discovery is partially cannon, in my view as they just ignore too many things to be accepted at face value.

 

Regardless I need things and ideas to work with. Personally I don't care for the alternate timeline either, much less destroying Romulus in the prime universe. Personally I think I'll find a simple excuse to avoid that nonsense. Discovery is awkward. Most people don't want it to be canon because it's so bad, and even if it is there's still a lot of issues that cause problems, such as holographic communications which were first seen aboard the Defiant during DS9's run.

 

Need to keep bouncing stuff so I can get back to work on the script, characters, and fresh ideas for where to take things...



Altwar #86 Posted Oct 27 2018 - 07:56

    Major

  • Players
  • 58277 battles
  • 5,221
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

View PostYANKEE137, on Oct 25 2018 - 05:08, said:

I wonder if Discovery will introduce the ever popular "hot chick wearing spandex" character for season II ?

 

BTW, no hot chick in space ever wore spandex better than Colonel Wilma Deering (from the series Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, for those who somehow don't know)

 



Omega_Weapon #87 Posted Oct 27 2018 - 17:48

    Major

  • Players
  • 52876 battles
  • 2,595
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF
  • Member since:
    11-15-2011

View PostxXTheGameAceXx, on Oct 26 2018 - 22:17, said:

Abram's timeline, correct? Haven't seen the 3 alternate timeline movies, and I was only able to double check based on Memory Alpha.

 

Also what would everyone think of Sisko making a return at some point?

 

Nope. Original timeline. Spock and Saavik apparently had sex on the Genisis planet in Star trek 3 (The Search for Spock), because pon far would have killed him otherwise. The script for Star Trek 4 (The Voyage Home) originally mentioned that Saavik was indeed pregnant as a result, but they decided to cut that from the final movie, so it isn't established now as cannon. Still makes sense though as a likely avenue to introduce a descendant of Spock.

xXTheGameAceXx #88 Posted Oct 27 2018 - 18:16

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 11473 battles
  • 673
  • Member since:
    10-07-2015

View PostOmega_Weapon, on Oct 27 2018 - 11:48, said:

 

Nope. Original timeline. Spock and Saavik apparently had sex on the Genisis planet in Star trek 3 (The Search for Spock), because pon far would have killed him otherwise. The script for Star Trek 4 (The Voyage Home) originally mentioned that Saavik was indeed pregnant as a result, but they decided to cut that from the final movie, so it isn't established now as cannon. Still makes sense though as a likely avenue to introduce a descendant of Spock.

 

Ah well that explains it. Unfortunately still haven't gotten around to the movies. My focus has been on each of the series. Something to consider then at least.

Still need more stuff outside of that though.


Edited by xXTheGameAceXx, Oct 27 2018 - 18:17.


Striker_70 #89 Posted Oct 28 2018 - 02:30

    Major

  • Players
  • 19694 battles
  • 6,544
  • Member since:
    04-02-2013

View PostNunya_000, on Oct 24 2018 - 10:06, said:

 

 

She's after Picard and Kirk in my book, but I've seen several people say she's their favorite captain.  She's got a decent argument and is no slouch.

Striker_70 #90 Posted Oct 28 2018 - 02:36

    Major

  • Players
  • 19694 battles
  • 6,544
  • Member since:
    04-02-2013

View PostClosedCoffin, on Oct 24 2018 - 13:00, said:

Block Quote

While not a Star Trek fan, I am a fan of the newer films.  I think Chris Pine makes a great Kirk, Karl Urban's a real good McCoy, Simon Pegg is a good Scotty and I think Anton Yelchin made a Chekov an enjoyable watch.

 

Agreed, this is a good series although film 3 was weaker than the other 2.

Into Darkness is my favorite and beats all Star Wars films imho.

Agree with Altwar's quote on this...

...and as much as I like Simon Pegg as an actor, he should not be allowed to be a co-writer in a Star Trek movie again, after being one for the third film (visually pleasing, story wise...ugh).

 

Notice how they admit they're not a Star Trek fan while praising the new trilogy.  As far as I'm concerned JJ Abrams destroyed Star Trek.  He even admitted he never understood it.  It showed..  Everything from 2009 and beyond was nothing but a space sci-fi cashgrab with the name "Star Trek" slapped on the front.

Altwar #91 Posted Oct 28 2018 - 03:23

    Major

  • Players
  • 58277 battles
  • 5,221
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

View PostStriker_70, on Oct 27 2018 - 17:36, said:

 

Notice how they admit they're not a Star Trek fan while praising the new trilogy.  As far as I'm concerned JJ Abrams destroyed Star Trek.  He even admitted he never understood it.  It showed..  Everything from 2009 and beyond was nothing but a space sci-fi cashgrab with the name "Star Trek" slapped on the front.

 

And what's wrong with enjoying the new trilogy while not being a Star Trek fan? 

 

The original Star Trek was something that was always on a local channel on TV on the weekends back in the day and watching it beat a kick in the butt, but not by much.

Star Trek, the Wrath of Khan was good stuff;  I saw it at the theaters back in the day when it was first run.

I like Star Trek Generations movie, but the rest of the STNG is at best meh, and normally quite boring.  

Deep Space Nine was content that plagiarized the bible plot the creator of Babylon 5 first presented to Paramount and as such, is a bit of an abomination to me and not worthy of watching.

Voyager wasn't bad and I watched it every now and then, but if the character Q showed up, I'd definitely change the channel.

Star Trek: Enterprise:  didn't bother watching it.  Not a Scott Bakula fan and I felt he'd be too boring for me to watch and so I didn't.

Star Trek Discovery had a decent first episode that I liked, but when CBS said the rest was on CBS All Access, I felt like I wasted my time even bothering to watch that episode.

 

Saw the Star Trek Discovery panel at the San Diego Comic Con to see how they'd promote the next season and whether it was worth it;  I think the panel did a great job of killing any slight interest I may have had in it.   

 

If Abrams destroyed Star Trek via the new trilogy for you, ah shucks, that's too bad.   I don't care if he understood Star Trek or not:  the movies entertained me and I and bought the first 2 new movies which is more interest than I've ever really had for Star Trek before.

 

So I pick and choose what I like about Star Trek content and that's why I don't consider myself a fan.  Having the name Star Trek on content doesn't do anything for me; I have to see a trailer or preview and see if there's something about it that I might want to see.



xXTheGameAceXx #92 Posted Oct 28 2018 - 04:04

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 11473 battles
  • 673
  • Member since:
    10-07-2015

View PostAltwar, on Oct 27 2018 - 21:23, said:

 

And what's wrong with enjoying the new trilogy while not being a Star Trek fan? 

 

The original Star Trek was something that was always on a local channel on TV on the weekends back in the day and watching it beat a kick in the butt, but not by much.

Star Trek, the Wrath of Khan was good stuff;  I saw it at the theaters back in the day when it was first run.

I like Star Trek Generations movie, but the rest of the STNG is at best meh, and normally quite boring.  

Deep Space Nine was content that plagiarized the bible plot the creator of Babylon 5 first presented to Paramount and as such, is a bit of an abomination to me and not worthy of watching.

Voyager wasn't bad and I watched it every now and then, but if the character Q showed up, I'd definitely change the channel.

Star Trek: Enterprise:  didn't bother watching it.  Not a Scott Bakula fan and I felt he'd be too boring for me to watch and so I didn't.

Star Trek Discovery had a decent first episode that I liked, but when CBS said the rest was on CBS All Access, I felt like I wasted my time even bothering to watch that episode.

 

Saw the Star Trek Discovery panel at the San Diego Comic Con to see how they'd promote the next season and whether it was worth it;  I think the panel did a great job of killing any slight interest I may have had in it.   

 

If Abrams destroyed Star Trek via the new trilogy for you, ah shucks, that's too bad.   I don't care if he understood Star Trek or not:  the movies entertained me and I and bought the first 2 new movies which is more interest than I've ever really had for Star Trek before.

 

So I pick and choose what I like about Star Trek content and that's why I don't consider myself a fan.  Having the name Star Trek on content doesn't do anything for me; I have to see a trailer or preview and see if there's something about it that I might want to see.

 

I mean for the main Trek fans, it ruined a lot of stuff. Was mostly a cheap play on the older Trek fans nostalgia for some quick cash. Only one of the three made any money, the others bombed out and lost money. Also you should give DS9 a go. Consistently people say it's the best series including w/ writing. Very worth the watch.

Guessing you probably prefer a lot more action which is where you lean towards the trilogy of movies though.

 

Anyways aside from that, considering just making a thread for the whole bit of bouncing ideas, unless anyone else is willing to keep going here.



KaiserWilhelmShatner #93 Posted Oct 31 2018 - 04:10

    Major

  • Players
  • 16769 battles
  • 4,792
  • [F_O_G] F_O_G
  • Member since:
    03-03-2012

View PostMichaelWells, on Oct 26 2018 - 21:09, said:

Depends on what you count as star trek.  in my mind, it specifically excludes any lens flaring movies JJ Abrams did.  And ST Discovery is partially cannon, in my view as they just ignore too many things to be accepted at face value.

 

The only decent scene in Abramstrek.  This would have been far more humorous with Captain Ed Mercer though.

 



US_3rd_Army #94 Posted Oct 31 2018 - 14:07

    Major

  • Players
  • 38069 battles
  • 2,253
  • [MAD-] MAD-
  • Member since:
    05-01-2011

We have established that there's a good number of Star Trek fans, but Iam interested in in finding out how we got into Star Trek. It's gonna sound a bit ridiculous, but for both me and my brother, we first got into watching Star Trek because Star Trek TNG was shown right before WWF Smackdown. We were at a point where the hour before whatever we wanted to see felt like an entirety, so to make it go quicker, we would have the TV on the channel and would watch whatever was on before Smackdown, which was TNG. It was that show and Mutara Nebula battle from Wrath of Khan that got my brother and I into Star Trek. 

 

From there, we went our separate ways. He prefers Picard as his favorite captain while mine is Kirk. His personal favorite show is TNG while mine is TOS. Though our opinion tends to a line when it comes to the movies, he likes Star Trek Beyond (though he thinks it's not as good as other Trek movies), while I just generally dislike the JJ Adrams movies.



xXTheGameAceXx #95 Posted Nov 01 2018 - 01:39

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 11473 battles
  • 673
  • Member since:
    10-07-2015
I started off watching with my father when it would come on TV. When I was really young I remember him watching ToS a lot and I found it odd and dull, but in later years I started to enjoy it, eventually watching through all of TNG, then Voyager, and then finally DS9. Still love watching with him when I get the opportunity.

Omega_Weapon #96 Posted Nov 01 2018 - 03:23

    Major

  • Players
  • 52876 battles
  • 2,595
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF
  • Member since:
    11-15-2011
Back in the mid 1980s I would wake up early on Saturday to take in all the popular Saturday morning cartoons. There was one particular hour where nothing I really liked cartoon wise was on, but the CBC was showing Star Trek re-runs in that slot so I started watching it. At first it was just because it was better than the other stuff on at that time, but before long I was really into Star Trek and the idea that it was a show about our possible future.

ApolloArtemis #97 Posted Mar 21 2019 - 19:56

    Community Coordinator

  • Administrator
  • 4515 battles
  • 1,381
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    01-28-2012

This topic should be revived,

 

ST: TNG IS THE BEST



The_Illusive_Man #98 Posted Mar 21 2019 - 20:04

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 13326 battles
  • 4,295
  • Member since:
    08-30-2014

Im making Star Trek mods........ If anyone is interested....

 

Also:

 

Kirk is the coolest captain

Picard is the most logical

Sisko is the most..... Boring

Janeway is the most innovative. 

 

DIS is just meh....


Edited by The_Illusive_Man, Mar 21 2019 - 20:11.


ApolloArtemis #99 Posted Mar 21 2019 - 20:25

    Community Coordinator

  • Administrator
  • 4515 battles
  • 1,381
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    01-28-2012

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Mar 21 2019 - 11:04, said:

Im making Star Trek mods........ If anyone is interested....

 

Also:

 

Kirk is the coolest captain

Picard is the most logical

Sisko is the most..... Boring

Janeway is the most innovative. 

 

DIS is just meh....

 

A ST mod for tanks?



The_Illusive_Man #100 Posted Mar 21 2019 - 20:32

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 13326 battles
  • 4,295
  • Member since:
    08-30-2014

View PostApolloArtemis, on Mar 21 2019 - 16:25, said:

 

A ST mod for tanks?

 

This is public so far:

 

https://wgmods.net/2246/






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users