I don't get it

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

demonkingakira #1 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 19:55

Private

• -Players-
  • 304 battles

Hi, I've been played WOT for about a week now, recently got to the tier 5 Japanese heavy and used my free token for the tier 6 American medium M4AE32, but I just don't understand how to play. Every time I get into a match I end up on maps like Malinovka, get spotted (while in spawn because an e-25 rushed the middle of the map) within the first minute trying to drive my slow tank somewhere and get slammed from four to five other tanks and die within the first 2 minutes barely out of spawn. It's frustrating and I can't learn how to play if I can't even start to play. Or what happens is my flank gets 0 enemies and my team wipes them with 4 minutes and again, I get to do nothing. I don't what to do and I want to learn this game since I've been enjoying WOWS a lot (almost got my first tier 8's) since I've been playing that game for about a month. Any tips what I can do?

RIA1911 #2 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 20:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6405 battles

Watch Videos on YouTube, on game mechanics, on maps , on tanks you have or want, on tactics, etc, etc.

Be a follower, for a while, play heavies and mediums, don't be the 1st guy out, watch where others go on maps and support them. Spend a lot of time at tier 4,5 and 6. Learn how to play a tank when low tier, tracking, flanking, support.

There's a lot to this game, more then most games.

I'd play American and Russian tanks 1st, good starting tanks at tier 5 and 6.

Good luck and don't give up. Lot of people feel that it can take about 3k games to get the basics of this game down.

Edited by RIA1911, Oct 25 2018 - 20:12.

Benjeeh_CA #3 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 20:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30716 battles
  • [DBLTP] DBLTP
Not something I have time to type on break st work add me in game I'll be on later if you want to platoon maybe I can teach you a bit also stay in the low tiers the higher up you go the harder it gets best to take your time and learn hlhf

Peak_Bagger #4 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 20:15

Captain

• -Players-
  • 19820 battles
  • [-T1B-] -T1B-

Welcome to Tanks, Demonking! I don't mean to be insulting, but 65 games is really nothing. You need to play this game A LOT! I remember when I first started and reading that 500 games was nothing. I scoffed, but it really is true. This game has a vast amount of information to learn. At 65 games, you've barely even seen some of the maps once or twice. I see you've bought some great tanks such as the Lowe, Somua SM, T34-85M and HT VI, so I expect you're in for the long haul. These will be great tanks for you in the future. But do yourself a favour and put them away for now.  You need to learn the tanks, the vision mechanics, the maps, the tactics, etc, not to mention that you're probably using poorly equipped tanks with bad crews. You can't imagine how badly you're currently handicapping yourself without even realizing it. Why play on such an uneven playing field?

Since you're at such a  beginner level, I don't even know where to start in terms of specific recommendations for learning. But I'd really suggest you slow down and stay away from anything above Tier V until you have many, many more games under your belt. Play Tiers III or IV until you better understand the game much more than you currently do.

Again, I don't mean to be insulting, but there's so much you need to learn before straying into Tier VIII, or even Tier VI.

Good luck, Demonking!

_Tsavo_ #5 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 20:16

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46189 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE

Slow down, while tier 5/6 is a good all-rounder tier to learn things at, being at less than 100 games there's so much that you'll be unfamiliar with or just not know yet that you're going to find yourself with a slight case of being murdered.

Take your time at tier 2-3 for now.  Get a feel for the few maps, observe the general hotspots, take some time to read up on the game's mechanics, and stop by the game guides and tutorials section of the forums.  Take screenshots and upload them or replays and upload them whenever something goes wrong.  It's likely we can pinpoint where/what went wrong and how you can avoid/anticipate/overcome similar situations in the future.

Remember, it's not a rush to tier 10.  Relax, slow and steady wins this race.

dunniteowl #6 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 20:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 31343 battles

View Postdemonkingakira, on Oct 25 2018 - 12:55, said:

Hi, I've been played WOT for about a week now, recently got to the tier 5 Japanese heavy and used my free token for the tier 6 American medium M4AE32, but I just don't understand how to play. Every time I get into a match I end up on maps like Malinovka, get spotted (while in spawn because an e-25 rushed the middle of the map) within the first minute trying to drive my slow tank somewhere and get slammed from four to five other tanks and die within the first 2 minutes barely out of spawn. It's frustrating and I can't learn how to play if I can't even start to play. Or what happens is my flank gets 0 enemies and my team wipes them with 4 minutes and again, I get to do nothing. I don't what to do and I want to learn this game since I've been enjoying WOWS a lot (almost got my first tier 8's) since I've been playing that game for about a month. Any tips what I can do?

This was Made With YOU in Mind.  Please take the time to go through ALL of it carefully.  Read.  Reflect.  Reward.

The WoT Welcome Package

First of all, Welcome to the Madness that is World of Tanks (PC) !  In this Welcome Package you will find:

1) The "WoT Player's Bible"

2) The Prioritization Mantra for Play

3) A short list of "Don't's, please" and a bit of advice

4) Some Useful Links for Learning Things

1)  The WoT Player's Bible

Battle Mechanics -- Global Wiki  These are the rules of the game, essentially.  It is linked at Vision and Spotting, though you should get familiar with it all.

Crew -- Global Wiki   The only thing that improves continuously (other than YOU) is your Crew.  Here is their proper care and feeding manual.

The game mechanics are often considered cheating to many players.  The knowledge you gain from knowing how the game looks at you and all other players is crucial to understanding the WHY of all the HOW of ALL the Tips, Tricks and Techniques you will learn over time to improve your chances of success in the game.

Arthur C. Clarke once said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  The game rules are complex.  The game rules run on math most folks don't get in high school.  It runs on math a lot of folks don't get in college.  So, it qualifies, to most folks, as 'sufficiently advanced' as to be 'indistinguishable from magic' when it comes to knowing what's going on in the game.  So, when they meet a situation they simply cannot understand, they call cheating.  It's about ninety nine point nine nine nine eight or so that it might be you getting pawned by a better or lucky player.  Learn from it.

Learn the Rules.  Become a Magician of the Game!

2)  With all this stuff comes a lot of stuff to remember!  

While you're mashing buttons, aiming-in, waiting for reload, checking your mini-map, angling your armor, getting hull down, avoiding arty, remaining unspotted, etc. it can be hard to stay focused on the most basic things that keep you in the game.  So, from reading many, MANY forum posts before ever posting here and learning from others (who have really good WRs) I came to distill what I consider the Essential or Core concepts in this game from a playing perspective.  In doing this, I came to the conclusion that I needed something to help me stay focused on the primary basics of play that would keep me active and playing, instead of a lump in the corner.

The Prioritization Mantra

Survive (if you do not survive, you cannot)

Do Damage (if you can't/don't do damage find another way to)

Help Your Team (if you can't/won't do this, you will have a harder time to)

Win? (which is never guaranteed)

This handy little mantra will help you to remember what you should be doing at any given time in the match.  It is listed in order of priority as well, because if you can't do one above, you can't get to the next below in the list.  If you are moving and take a hit, what do you do?  Survive!  Number One!  Get cover, get out of the line of fire, survive!

See how easy that is?  It really works and is easy to remember, because all you have to do is repeat to yourself, Survive, Do Damage, Help Your Team and nothing more.  Haven't fired your stick in 30 seconds or longer?  Move, because you are surviving, now you need to DO DAMAGE.  It really is easy, effective and efficient at keeping your head where it should be while playing at all times under any circumstances.

3) A few "Don't's Please" and some advice:  

This game is reputedly fun.  I have found the fun in my playing, but only after a bit of reaching down deep to find my own sense of fun in this crazy, complicated and chaotic game.  I don't normally tell anyone how to play.  Not at all.  I tell folks how I play and indicate that these methods are what took me from a steady 48% player to a pretty steady 54% player in my recents for the last two and a half years.  With my computer and rural wireless connection, so I think I can make a claim of ability.

The Don't's:

1) Don't map spam ping.  This is that super annoying thing that I did when I first started and I see others do it all the time.  First of all, map pinging before the start of match is sheer idiocy unless you ping and type, "I'm going there to spot," or some such thing.

This is NOT everyone's first rodeo and you (no matter who you are) are not Erwin Rommel, George Patton or Bernie Montgomery, so there's no reason to inform everyone what's important on the map to you.  I was told in less formal language and promptly re-evaluated my level of 'superior' knowledge sharing in chat.

Map Spam is annoying for two obvious reasons:

1] It clutters up the chat window and constantly highlights it, making it a distraction to the mind instead of an communications tool.  It also eats up any other potentially valuable information from your other team mates.  It's like the guy with his butt on the mic-key of his walkie-talkie, completely oblivious that he's the only sound ANYONE else can hear.  This will NOT make you friends if you map spam.

2] Again, it creates a distraction

The sheer number of times someone can do this will make others want to TK that spammer.  This sort of distraction actually causes problems for success -- don't be that guy that everyone else hates for helping lose a match by being too communicative.

Considering WHO-Who-whoo is telling you that, you should really think that through.  The NOT QUIET GUY saying don't communicate too much should be important.

Be really familiar with your Garage.  There are many ways to do the same things from different 'pages' and places in those 'pages' in your Garage.  I'm not sure how it applies now, with the Gold changes due, but you should also always make sure that you're going to buy something with Credits instead of Gold at each transaction where Gold might enter into the mix.

It used to default to using gold, which was how I ended up with none very early on.  I simply didn't know any better.  Learn from my mistakes.

Training:

Only learn one or two New Things at a time.  If you're going to learn to spot, then forget about all that armor angling and getting hull down stuff for now, because it will just get in the way.  Spotting is something to learn as well as those other things.  Most times, you're going to be learning all these new things while hitting "Battle!" and playing.  Which is why I developed the Prioritization Mantra.  Trying to learn something new when you're learning all sorts of new stuff is hard to keep track of what you should be doing right this moment.  The Mantra is your guidepost.

4) Some Useful Links for Learning Things:

In the camp of stuff you have to read and look through I highly recommend you read through these links:

Lert's Collection of Guides and Tutorials

Sask Outrider's Guides and Thoughts

And, while there are all manner of video streamers, YT vid personalities and what not, I consider this to be the single best source of video comprehensive WoT related educational video:  Zeven's Replay Reviews

(more will be added later as I get my stuff better organized)

Other than that, welcome once again and I hope any of this you (and any others) find helpful, useful or of value in some manner for playing.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

MagillaGuerilla #7 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 20:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 25892 battles
Tons of info here. Cody Menz is really good...https://wotguru.com/

MacDaddyMatty #8 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 20:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 31923 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Hi OP,

1st, this is a strategy game, NOT a first person shooter.

2nd, go here:

https://www.clandday.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

A LOT of good and basic stuff you need to know.

Personally, you have too few battles to be out of tier 1-3.

Tier 4+ will chew you up.

GL!!

demonkingakira #9 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 20:20

Private

• -Players-
  • 304 battles

View PostPeak_Bagger, on Oct 25 2018 - 20:15, said:

Welcome to Tanks, Demonking! I don't mean to be insulting, but 65 games is really nothing. You need to play this game A LOT! I remember when I first started and reading that 500 games was nothing. I scoffed, but it really is true. This game has a vast amount of information to learn. At 65 games, you've barely even seen some of the maps once or twice. I see you've bought some great tanks such as the Lowe, Somua SM, T34-85M and HT VI, so I expect you're in for the long haul. These will be great tanks for you in the future. But do yourself a favour and put them away for now.  You need to learn the tanks, the vision mechanics, the maps, the tactics, etc, not to mention that you're probably using poorly equipped tanks with bad crews. You can't imagine how badly you're currently handicapping yourself without even realizing it. Why play on such an uneven playing field?

Since you're at such a  beginner level, I don't even know where to start in terms of specific recommendations for learning. But I'd really suggest you slow down and stay away from anything above Tier V until you have many, many more games under your belt. Play Tiers III or IV until you better understand the game much more than you currently do.

Again, I don't mean to be insulting, but there's so much you need to learn before straying into Tier VIII, or even Tier VI.

Good luck, Demonking!

Tbh i didn't buy them, all the premiums i have atm are rentals due to the twitch prime thing going on atm and I just so happened to have prime. Appreciate the advice

demonkingakira #10 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 20:21

Private

• -Players-
  • 304 battles

View PostRIA1911, on Oct 25 2018 - 20:11, said:

Watch Videos on YouTube, on game mechanics, on maps , on tanks you have or want, on tactics, etc, etc.

Be a follower, for a while, play heavies and mediums, don't be the 1st guy out, watch where others go on maps and support them. Spend a lot of time at tier 4,5 and 6. Learn how to play a tank when low tier, tracking, flanking, support.

There's a lot to this game, more then most games.

I'd play American and Russian tanks 1st, good starting tanks at tier 5 and 6.

Good luck and don't give up. Lot of people feel that it can take about 3k games to get the basics of this game down.

Thank you for the advice

demonkingakira #11 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 20:22

Private

• -Players-
  • 304 battles

View PostBenjeeh_CA, on Oct 25 2018 - 20:11, said:

Not something I have time to type on break st work add me in game I'll be on later if you want to platoon maybe I can teach you a bit also stay in the low tiers the higher up you go the harder it gets best to take your time and learn hlhf

Alright will do, thank you much!

demonkingakira #12 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 20:24

Private

• -Players-
  • 304 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Oct 25 2018 - 20:17, said:

This was Made With YOU in Mind.  Please take the time to go through ALL of it carefully.  Read.  Reflect.  Reward.

The WoT Welcome Package

First of all, Welcome to the Madness that is World of Tanks (PC) !  In this Welcome Package you will find:

1) The "WoT Player's Bible"

2) The Prioritization Mantra for Play

3) A short list of "Don't's, please" and a bit of advice

4) Some Useful Links for Learning Things

1)  The WoT Player's Bible

Battle Mechanics -- Global Wiki  These are the rules of the game, essentially.  It is linked at Vision and Spotting, though you should get familiar with it all.

Crew -- Global Wiki   The only thing that improves continuously (other than YOU) is your Crew.  Here is their proper care and feeding manual.

The game mechanics are often considered cheating to many players.  The knowledge you gain from knowing how the game looks at you and all other players is crucial to understanding the WHY of all the HOW of ALL the Tips, Tricks and Techniques you will learn over time to improve your chances of success in the game.

Arthur C. Clarke once said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  The game rules are complex.  The game rules run on math most folks don't get in high school.  It runs on math a lot of folks don't get in college.  So, it qualifies, to most folks, as 'sufficiently advanced' as to be 'indistinguishable from magic' when it comes to knowing what's going on in the game.  So, when they meet a situation they simply cannot understand, they call cheating.  It's about ninety nine point nine nine nine eight or so that it might be you getting pawned by a better or lucky player.  Learn from it.

Learn the Rules.  Become a Magician of the Game!

2)  With all this stuff comes a lot of stuff to remember!  

While you're mashing buttons, aiming-in, waiting for reload, checking your mini-map, angling your armor, getting hull down, avoiding arty, remaining unspotted, etc. it can be hard to stay focused on the most basic things that keep you in the game.  So, from reading many, MANY forum posts before ever posting here and learning from others (who have really good WRs) I came to distill what I consider the Essential or Core concepts in this game from a playing perspective.  In doing this, I came to the conclusion that I needed something to help me stay focused on the primary basics of play that would keep me active and playing, instead of a lump in the corner.

The Prioritization Mantra

Survive (if you do not survive, you cannot)

Do Damage (if you can't/don't do damage find another way to)

Help Your Team (if you can't/won't do this, you will have a harder time to)

Win? (which is never guaranteed)

This handy little mantra will help you to remember what you should be doing at any given time in the match.  It is listed in order of priority as well, because if you can't do one above, you can't get to the next below in the list.  If you are moving and take a hit, what do you do?  Survive!  Number One!  Get cover, get out of the line of fire, survive!

See how easy that is?  It really works and is easy to remember, because all you have to do is repeat to yourself, Survive, Do Damage, Help Your Team and nothing more.  Haven't fired your stick in 30 seconds or longer?  Move, because you are surviving, now you need to DO DAMAGE.  It really is easy, effective and efficient at keeping your head where it should be while playing at all times under any circumstances.

3) A few "Don't's Please" and some advice:  

This game is reputedly fun.  I have found the fun in my playing, but only after a bit of reaching down deep to find my own sense of fun in this crazy, complicated and chaotic game.  I don't normally tell anyone how to play.  Not at all.  I tell folks how I play and indicate that these methods are what took me from a steady 48% player to a pretty steady 54% player in my recents for the last two and a half years.  With my computer and rural wireless connection, so I think I can make a claim of ability.

The Don't's:

1) Don't map spam ping.  This is that super annoying thing that I did when I first started and I see others do it all the time.  First of all, map pinging before the start of match is sheer idiocy unless you ping and type, "I'm going there to spot," or some such thing.

This is NOT everyone's first rodeo and you (no matter who you are) are not Erwin Rommel, George Patton or Bernie Montgomery, so there's no reason to inform everyone what's important on the map to you.  I was told in less formal language and promptly re-evaluated my level of 'superior' knowledge sharing in chat.

Map Spam is annoying for two obvious reasons:

1] It clutters up the chat window and constantly highlights it, making it a distraction to the mind instead of an communications tool.  It also eats up any other potentially valuable information from your other team mates.  It's like the guy with his butt on the mic-key of his walkie-talkie, completely oblivious that he's the only sound ANYONE else can hear.  This will NOT make you friends if you map spam.

2] Again, it creates a distraction

The sheer number of times someone can do this will make others want to TK that spammer.  This sort of distraction actually causes problems for success -- don't be that guy that everyone else hates for helping lose a match by being too communicative.

Considering WHO-Who-whoo is telling you that, you should really think that through.  The NOT QUIET GUY saying don't communicate too much should be important.

Be really familiar with your Garage.  There are many ways to do the same things from different 'pages' and places in those 'pages' in your Garage.  I'm not sure how it applies now, with the Gold changes due, but you should also always make sure that you're going to buy something with Credits instead of Gold at each transaction where Gold might enter into the mix.

It used to default to using gold, which was how I ended up with none very early on.  I simply didn't know any better.  Learn from my mistakes.

Training:

Only learn one or two New Things at a time.  If you're going to learn to spot, then forget about all that armor angling and getting hull down stuff for now, because it will just get in the way.  Spotting is something to learn as well as those other things.  Most times, you're going to be learning all these new things while hitting "Battle!" and playing.  Which is why I developed the Prioritization Mantra.  Trying to learn something new when you're learning all sorts of new stuff is hard to keep track of what you should be doing right this moment.  The Mantra is your guidepost.

4) Some Useful Links for Learning Things:

In the camp of stuff you have to read and look through I highly recommend you read through these links:

Lert's Collection of Guides and Tutorials

Sask Outrider's Guides and Thoughts

And, while there are all manner of video streamers, YT vid personalities and what not, I consider this to be the single best source of video comprehensive WoT related educational video:  Zeven's Replay Reviews

(more will be added later as I get my stuff better organized)

Other than that, welcome once again and I hope any of this you (and any others) find helpful, useful or of value in some manner for playing.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

Seriously thanks a bunch for this, since I dont have anything else to do for the day this'll be great to go through, much appreciated

demonkingakira #13 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 20:25

Private

• -Players-
  • 304 battles

View PostNudnick, on Oct 25 2018 - 20:18, said:

Tons of info here. Cody Menz is really good...https://wotguru.com/

Thanks a bunch

Youdda #14 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 21:18

Sergeant

• Players
  • 66212 battles

Something more practical that I do whenever I have a new tank.

1. Be ready when game starts.
  2. Plan to follow the largest group of tanks.
  3. Stay about 100m behind the lead tank. (Aim reticle at leader and  you will see the distance to target (No shoot Greens)
  4. As soon as enemies are spotted try to find cover. A rock or behind a hill, some place that you can peek out, fire a shot, and then pull back.
  5. Be patient, never play agressive until you learn your tank.

You can get more involved or make changes to your play style as you get more comfortable with your tanks.

Good goal is to be among the last 5 survivors or the battle. After some time a better goal is to do your own hit points in damage and be among last 5 survivors.

Have FUN, and ignore stats and mean people.

Insanefriend #15 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 21:38

Captain

• Players
  • 46252 battles

If you want to platoon and go over the basics let me know.  Or we can mess around in a training room so you can practice spotting in a place you won't be blasted to death in five seconds.

I'd even fire up a stream on twitch for you so you can see what I do and ask questions if you want.

Kramah313 #16 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 21:52

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4793 battles

Even at over 2,000 games I am still quite new, and there’s a lot of difference between me and the better players. You seem to have a good attitude though. I hope you stick with it! It really is a fun game, just takes a long time to learn it. I started out on the Russian like that leads to the KV-1, and spent a lot of time in tier 3 because that’s where the M2 Medium I got from the tutorial plays. If you have that tank I would play it a lot while you grind out the KV-1 starting from tier 1. That will give you some exposure to the basics of the game. At the low tiers you don’t have to worry so much about weakspots and angling/side scraping and can just focus on learning to spot and fight other tanks. Plus the tanks there are cheap to run. And the KV-1 is a fun tank to venture into tier 5 with for the first time (I did). 

If you do take the E2 out once in a while, remember that your turret is really tough. If possible, position yourself to where only the turret is sticking out over a wall or a hill while you shoot (this is called hull down). Good luck! A lot of good advice here. I think we all like to see new players that seem like decent people around here. 

Boghie #17 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 22:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8493 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I have been properly admonished and can provide no advice:hiding:

But, these topics seem to be a meme - eh...

TankFullOfBourbon #18 Posted Oct 26 2018 - 10:05

Major

• Players
  • 30537 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View Postdemonkingakira, on Oct 25 2018 - 19:55, said:

A lot of players have told you not to tier rush, so I won't repeat it. I will focus on your two questions:

Why do I get spotted the first minutes and what should I do about it?

You have after so few games a crew with no skills, probably you have no camo on the tank, which means your camoflage is virtually zero. At tier 5, 6 and 7 you may be playing against players that have multiple skills crew. You need to take the long way around. In maps like Malinovka, Fishermans Bay, Prokhorovka, it's important sometime to hug the red line to get where you're going. Don't drive blatantly in the open if your tank is big and you lack camo. Someone will spot you and you'll be going early to the showers.

Why do I get to the battle too late?

Well, in slow tanks that is often the issue, you tug along and when you get to the chokepoint/battleground the battle is already over. But it is important you go there. Sometimes your team has been battered and have their health depleted and there you come full of health. That can be a huge injection.

banziduck #19 Posted Oct 26 2018 - 12:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21780 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View Postdemonkingakira, on Oct 25 2018 - 12:55, said:

All good advice also check out Guido1212 on youtube, also 4tankersanddog.  keep asking questions like it has been stated there is a lot to learn and the more you play the more you learn, if you like PM me in game and maybe we can toon up and see how it goes.

Cheers

cocobabygirl #20 Posted Oct 26 2018 - 13:38

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12347 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Just thinking is this possible? tier 5 in 96 battles from 2014?  I guess purchases............

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users