Halloween Free XP

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Kerosedge #21 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 18:10

Captain

• Players
  • 20637 battles
  • [CRIMZ] CRIMZ
I free XP past the TVP PU or whatever that T8 pile of crapis.

sparango #22 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 18:16

Captain

• Players
  • 46910 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL
I use free xp for tracks turrets and guns.

_Juris #23 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 18:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18124 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostTrauglodyte, on Nov 05 2018 - 12:06, said:

What if you found a lower tier "keeper"?  I don't know how Vilin, Mahou, etc. work, so maybe the high end tiers don't afford time/avenues for lower tier play.  I personally love a lot of the lower tier tanks - tier 6 has a ton of gems in them.  So, if you just free XPed your way through the line, who would ever know what was fun?

As a general rule, i'd probably never start below tier 5 regardless of circumstances because the meta below there just isn't enjoyable, and even then i'm highly unlikely to ever start below tier 7.  I think the last line where I played every tier was the Czech mediums, and that was only because of the bonuses on offer for winning X number of games in each tier.  Otherwise, i'd probably have started that one from the tier 9.

As far as "keeper" tanks, I just went and looked for purposes of answering your question, and excluding premium tanks, I have one tier 4 (Ke-Ho), one tier 5 (Chaffee), no tier 6s, two tier 7s (Challenger and T71 DA, both likely getting sold as soon as I finish grinding a second British TD crew to 2.5 skills and finish 3-marking, respectively), and 6 tier 8s (Obj. 416, plus 5 lines that i'm grinding and which tanks will get sold as soon as i'm done).  On the rare occasions that i'm platooning with someone that wants to play those tiers, I have enough premium tanks around to use - mostly the tech tree ones just aren't interesting enough or enough different than the premiums to be worth keeping.  The only ones from the list above that i'd probably keep in the garage are the Ke-Ho, Chaffee, Challenger, and 416.

Edited by _Juris, Nov 05 2018 - 18:56.

RC_1140 #24 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 18:58

Major

• Players
  • 59387 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
I've gotten too used to playing comfortable and fun tanks so now I just save tourney gold and free xp whatever tank I want next. Grinding is overrated. 

read_these_nikes #25 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 19:25

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16234 battles
nothing yet, but i can get is7, t62a/obj140 or the tvp 50/51. not sure what i want to get yet tho.  

Trauglodyte #26 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 20:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 16092 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View Post_Juris, on Nov 05 2018 - 18:55, said:

As a general rule, i'd probably never start below tier 5 regardless of circumstances because the meta below there just isn't enjoyable, and even then i'm highly unlikely to ever start below tier 7.  I think the last line where I played every tier was the Czech mediums, and that was only because of the bonuses on offer for winning X number of games in each tier.  Otherwise, i'd probably have started that one from the tier 9.

As far as "keeper" tanks, I just went and looked for purposes of answering your question, and excluding premium tanks, I have one tier 4 (Ke-Ho), one tier 5 (Chaffee), no tier 6s, two tier 7s (Challenger and T71 DA, both likely getting sold as soon as I finish grinding a second British TD crew to 2.5 skills and finish 3-marking, respectively), and 6 tier 8s (Obj. 416, plus 5 lines that i'm grinding and which tanks will get sold as soon as i'm done).  On the rare occasions that i'm platooning with someone that wants to play those tiers, I have enough premium tanks around to use - mostly the tech tree ones just aren't interesting enough or enough different than the premiums to be worth keeping.  The only ones from the list above that i'd probably keep in the garage are the Ke-Ho, Chaffee, Challenger, and 416.

I can appreciate that.  There are so many tanks that I just enjoy, even though they're probably horrible and not meta.  Case in point, the DW 2 is one of my favorites and most people just outright loathe the bugger.  Pz. III J is another one.  I don't play them regularly and probably haven't played either in months.  But, I keep them for the combination of the fact that they were/are fun and that sometimes it is just fun to derp around in something that isn't at the top of the min/maxed scale.

I would ask if you found doing that fun and also ask why you'd skip out on that aspect of the game.  But, I also remember that I was in your shoes back in my days of EQ, DAoC, WOW, etc.  There was no "enjoyment" phase of the game because my goals in game were being top 1% in raiding and PvP.  I imagine that, and I could be wrong so don't think that I'm assuming or putting words into your mouth, how you play the game and your goals in the game kind of are contradictory to putzing around in the lowbie tiers in box tanks.

Good chat, Juris.  Could rap on this more, probably.

_Juris #27 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 21:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18124 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostTrauglodyte, on Nov 05 2018 - 14:33, said:

I can appreciate that.  There are so many tanks that I just enjoy, even though they're probably horrible and not meta.  Case in point, the DW 2 is one of my favorites and most people just outright loathe the bugger.  Pz. III J is another one.  I don't play them regularly and probably haven't played either in months.  But, I keep them for the combination of the fact that they were/are fun and that sometimes it is just fun to derp around in something that isn't at the top of the min/maxed scale.

I would ask if you found doing that fun and also ask why you'd skip out on that aspect of the game.  But, I also remember that I was in your shoes back in my days of EQ, DAoC, WOW, etc.  There was no "enjoyment" phase of the game because my goals in game were being top 1% in raiding and PvP.  I imagine that, and I could be wrong so don't think that I'm assuming or putting words into your mouth, how you play the game and your goals in the game kind of are contradictory to putzing around in the lowbie tiers in box tanks.

Good chat, Juris.  Could rap on this more, probably.

I can't speak for others, but my lack of enjoyment of the <tier 5 meta comes down to a few things.  First, the overall skill level of players is noticeably lower than in tiers 6+ (and especially 8+), so even with a not-very-skilled crew in a tank at that tier, it doesn't feel very sporting playing there.  While i'm not telling people they can't enjoy the game however they want, I don't have a very positive view of people who play 4+ skill crews in a T67 for 90% of their games and beat up on new(er) players in non-elite tanks.  The only amusement i'd get out of it is occasionally blapping some seal-clubber, and it's not worth me also doing a bunch of seal-clubbing in order to accomplish that.  Second, at tier 5 and below, basically no tanks have any meaningful armor except against opponents with truly pathetic guns, which reduces your options for bringing skill to bear on the match.  Third, the gun handling on those tanks is so tragically bad that the metagame favors very static, campy gameplay - try shooting on the move with a T-34 and you'll see what I mean.  In practice, this means the meta is dominated by tanks that can effectively sit still and fire unspotted (hello, T67).  I can do that very very easily, and so I don't find it very enjoyable.  For newer players this is good, because it means you can focus on learning a smaller subset of the gameplay ideas at a time without needing to worry about others, but once you're aware of the other aspects of gameplay, playing at those tiers feels... limiting, I guess?  At least to me, anyways.

As far as the "just derping around" aspect of the game, I think I still do that, I just do it at different tiers.  From a pure game/tank balance standpoint, I find tiers 7 and 9 to be the best, and so if i'm playing for fun, i'm probably playing one of those tiers.  8 and 10 feature too many unbalanced/uninteresting tanks - tier 8 I will mostly avoid except for grinds and strongholds, and tier 10 I will play to stay in practice for whatever little competitive scene is left.

Edit:  Actually, at the moment, tier 10 is my tier for "just playing silly tanks that I feel like are underrated."  Completely for meme-reasons, I stuck improved equipment on the Panzer 7, because it looked kind of silly and I didn't see a lot of people playing it, but as it turns out I actually really enjoy it.  It's like the Maus and the VK 72.01 got together and had a baby.

Edited by _Juris, Nov 05 2018 - 21:36.

Trauglodyte #28 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 22:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 16092 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View Post_Juris, on Nov 05 2018 - 21:33, said:

I can't speak for others, but my lack of enjoyment of the <tier 5 meta comes down to a few things.  First, the overall skill level of players is noticeably lower than in tiers 6+ (and especially 8+), so even with a not-very-skilled crew in a tank at that tier, it doesn't feel very sporting playing there.  While i'm not telling people they can't enjoy the game however they want, I don't have a very positive view of people who play 4+ skill crews in a T67 for 90% of their games and beat up on new(er) players in non-elite tanks.  The only amusement i'd get out of it is occasionally blapping some seal-clubber, and it's not worth me also doing a bunch of seal-clubbing in order to accomplish that.  Second, at tier 5 and below, basically no tanks have any meaningful armor except against opponents with truly pathetic guns, which reduces your options for bringing skill to bear on the match.  Third, the gun handling on those tanks is so tragically bad that the metagame favors very static, campy gameplay - try shooting on the move with a T-34 and you'll see what I mean.  In practice, this means the meta is dominated by tanks that can effectively sit still and fire unspotted (hello, T67).  I can do that very very easily, and so I don't find it very enjoyable.  For newer players this is good, because it means you can focus on learning a smaller subset of the gameplay ideas at a time without needing to worry about others, but once you're aware of the other aspects of gameplay, playing at those tiers feels... limiting, I guess?  At least to me, anyways.

As far as the "just derping around" aspect of the game, I think I still do that, I just do it at different tiers.  From a pure game/tank balance standpoint, I find tiers 7 and 9 to be the best, and so if i'm playing for fun, i'm probably playing one of those tiers.  8 and 10 feature too many unbalanced/uninteresting tanks - tier 8 I will mostly avoid except for grinds and strongholds, and tier 10 I will play to stay in practice for whatever little competitive scene is left.

Edit:  Actually, at the moment, tier 10 is my tier for "just playing silly tanks that I feel like are underrated."  Completely for meme-reasons, I stuck improved equipment on the Panzer 7, because it looked kind of silly and I didn't see a lot of people playing it, but as it turns out I actually really enjoy it.  It's like the Maus and the VK 72.01 got together and had a baby.

I totally get it.  It is refreshing to get different perspectives of how people play and enjoy the game.  There is no "best" way; just our own personal way.

I'm actually looking forward to the Panzer 7.  People bag on it but man that thing looks sweet.  As you said, it is a Maus/VK 72 that is faster and punchier than the Maus but has less armor, thus the joy of mini-game of hiding that turret pocket on the sides.  I'm a German tech tree guy so those are my babies (to-be)!

Edited by Trauglodyte, Nov 05 2018 - 22:08.

Volcanic_lobster_220 #29 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 03:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6605 battles
Waiting for Tech tree tank discounts (Hopefully soon, maybe Thanksgiving?) to purchase some tanks, i've recently researched Jg Pz IV, T28 Proto, T71 CMCD, will probably use the Free Xp on modules if i need to, i hear the Proto is real bad stock.

roestreyev #30 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 14:14

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 35865 battles
  • [SKORP] SKORP

View Postnekojima, on Nov 04 2018 - 18:04, said:

Buying equipment tracks might have been a better use of the free xp than to unlock with xp the tracks. That's what I've been doing for years now on a dozen or two lines, especially top tier. Usually buying the suitable equipment tracks in advance on sale and selling when not longer needed for another line.

I started doing this too! Best move you can do. Especially with a tank you don't intend to keep.

_Steel_Casket_ #31 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 15:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 81327 battles
  • [T_U_C] T_U_C
I earned almost 35 K exp during the Halloween event and added to what I had already am going to buy the Tier 10 Obj. 277 with it, My 24th. tier 10.

Also tagged with Halloween, Free XP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users