Guns and turrets have their own physics mesh

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Guns and turrets have their own physics mesh (17 members have cast votes)

Should the gun hit things?

1. Yeah, man, the gun should interact with things. (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

2. Nope, that seems pretty silly. (10 votes [58.82%])

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

3. Doesn't matter to me, I only play artillery. (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

BadWolfDragon #1 Posted Nov 04 2018 - 23:26

Private

• Players
  • 5328 battles
  • [FOXXY] FOXXY

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but why not make it so that the guns and turrets of tanks themselves can hit things like buildings, trees, and other tanks, instead of just phasing through everything. It'd add a new realm of realism (for what little that matters) and would require more skill at higher tiers when the gun can extend out half the length of the tank or more. It could be used to help flip other tanks if the gun elevation mechanic was strong enough. It could help balance light tanks from circling bigger tanks and being completely unfair to them. The gun or turret could become damaged from hitting something with enough force or big enough to stop it.

Like I said I'm sure it's been brought up before, but I think it would be pretty darn cool for them to implement it. What do you guys think?

RC_1140 #2 Posted Nov 04 2018 - 23:50

Major

• Players
  • 59460 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
I think they tried this once and everyone just had permanently broken guns. 

BadWolfDragon #3 Posted Nov 04 2018 - 23:52

Private

• Players
  • 5328 battles
  • [FOXXY] FOXXY
They could try implementing it better, like maybe make it a low roll to damage the gun, or have it be on timers or something.

Yao_Wang #4 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 00:23

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13055 battles

View PostRC_1140, on Nov 04 2018 - 14:50, said:

I think they tried this once and everyone just had permanently broken guns. 

You are correct about that and I think it was done in the alpha test

BadWolfDragon #5 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 00:25

Private

• Players
  • 5328 battles
  • [FOXXY] FOXXY

View PostYao_Wang, on Nov 05 2018 - 00:23, said:

You are correct about that and I think it was done in the alpha test

Is there any videos of this? I would love to see how it was.

_Tsavo_ #6 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 00:31

Major

• Players
  • 42337 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Absolutely not.  Not even the realistic competition does this.

Insanefriend #7 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 00:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39514 battles

This would be silly for a special event game mode, but for normal matches I think it would drive people away.  Never mind the coding for figuring out the amount of damage, where the damage happens(gun/turret ring), object density(does the gun turn slower in bushes, can it knock over saplings), etc..

Just thinking about the amount of coding it would take for this to work right is nightmarish.

BadWolfDragon #8 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 00:59

Private

• Players
  • 5328 battles
  • [FOXXY] FOXXY
Well the base mesh for the gun and everything is there, we know this because the gun has an outline when hidden but viewable. All they'd really have to do is tell the game it has impact physics, tell the turret it can't turn or has to slow down to a certain point when hitting something, and have those things react as if another part of the tank hit it. It wouldn't be the hardest thing to implement, especially since they switched to the new engine.

Viper69 #9 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 01:09

Major

• Players
  • 7528 battles
If I remember correctly the rounds don’t even spawn from the end of the barrels, they originate from the base of the barrel. Unless it has changed from long ago. The gun barrels are basically skins with nothing under them.

BadWolfDragon #10 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 01:12

Private

• Players
  • 5328 battles
  • [FOXXY] FOXXY

View PostViper69, on Nov 05 2018 - 01:09, said:

If I remember correctly the rounds don’t even spawn from the end of the barrels, they originate from the base of the barrel. Unless it has changed from long ago. The gun barrels are basically skins with nothing under them.

True, I still think it'd be cool. Maybe work it into an optional beta test for a future update? Invite players that often partake in the regular beta tests to try this out one, maybe only have a select few tanks in the test, and based on player reaction they could work with it further or throw it out. Wargaming is massive right now, especially in Europe and Asia, they would definitely be able to throw it together within a few months.

ket101 #11 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 01:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18441 battles
  • [N-O-M] N-O-M
Yep, this topic has been brought up before.  Multiple times.  And yes, WG did experiment with barrel collision (they do in fact form part of the armour model, which is why you can destroy the gun, and gun barrels have an armour rating).  What was the result?  The game was no longer fun.  Instead of being a game, it became a barrel management simulator.  You had to be very careful you didn't destroy your gun barrel on trees, rocks, buildings and other vehicles.  Can you imagine, when repair kits only worked once, having your gun barrel destroyed in the hustle and bustle at the start of a match?  Usually by a light tank zipping past.  And can you imagine the incredible frustration of casemate TD's being unable to turn around in streets on city maps?  Short barrels would be the favored solution, but short barrel guns often can't penetrate reliably.  The current system is better for gameplay.

BadWolfDragon #12 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 01:24

Private

• Players
  • 5328 battles
  • [FOXXY] FOXXY
Well, maybe they could have the gun just not be damaged when it hits something, and something would come up around the view circle to show the player it has been caught up on something. Players would need to plan out their attack route better in advance, and it could make certain tanks play more like they're supposed to play, heavy tanks taking fire while smaller tanks peak out and do damage, and tank destroyers hang back to provide support. Right now I see most people playing tanks all about the same; move up to bush, camp in bush, fire from bush. Or maybe wargaming could implement another game mode that inplements slightly more realistic mechanics to the game and call it realistic, kind of like how war thunder does it, but in a game more people are playing. Yes I understand they did it before and it didn't work then, but they could do it differently, implement systems better, etc. The game is already hemorrhaging players anyway, and wargaming just keeps putting in or changing things that players didn't really want or ask for (this year's Halloween event was "fun" right?). It just needs to be done better and put in for testing. Maybe make a test server with like 3 different tanks to play, a city and open map, and tell players it's to test things they might want to add in the future, I'm sure wargaming has other ideas in mind they want to test.

Stormer100 #13 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 01:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14769 battles
  • [PRGY] PRGY

View PostViper69, on Nov 05 2018 - 00:09, said:

Yeah, that's why arty trollers place their guns anywhere on an arty's gun barrel and have them hurt themselves, it doesn't have to be at the end of the barrel.

The_Boz #14 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 01:42

Captain

• Players
  • 9705 battles

View PostBadWolfDragon, on Nov 04 2018 - 14:26, said:

It could be used to help flip other tanks if the gun elevation mechanic was strong enough.

Flip a tank with your gun...? Like an elephant using it's trunk?

Pipinghot #15 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 04:10

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostBadWolfDragon, on Nov 04 2018 - 17:26, said:

Like I said I'm sure it's been brought up before, but I think it would be pretty darn cool for them to implement it. What do you guys think?

It has already been done. It was not "cool". Everyone agreed it was awful.

That's everyone - WG, good players, bad players, everyone. It added nothing to the quality of game play, instead it made the game more annoying and less fun.

Pipinghot #16 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 04:13

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostBadWolfDragon, on Nov 04 2018 - 19:12, said:

True, I still think it'd be cool.

You're mistaken, it would not.

Maybe work it into an optional beta test for a future update? Invite players that often partake in the regular beta tests to try this out one

There's no reason to test it, it's already been done. WG is not going to waste their time repeating an experiment when the answer was resoundingly answered the first time.

and based on player reaction

Already been done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users