Arty Love

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

golruul #21 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 20:07

Captain

• Players
  • 21410 battles

View PostTheDerpinator9000, on Nov 06 2018 - 12:48, said:

Probably a random suggestion that popped into my head, I see a lot of people saying 'evade' arty, and sorry for my noob like skills which help with my opinions, but what about a notification when arty is aiming at you? maybe 1 or 2 seconds after they start aiming at you? that way there can be more leeway with how the nerf / buff arty in the game, would there still be such a big argument about arty safe then? if you had fair warning before getting smacked in your engine deck for 500  HP and 3 modules?

Not trying to take any sides here but it popped into my head while I was reading these, as then, would become a question of why didn't you move?

Anywho, that's a random suggestion, lemme know how stupid it is.

Not a stupid suggestion, but the issue that kills this suggestion is the maps themselves.  Most maps have engagement hotspots that are either crucial to winning or needs to be contested.  If your team doesn't at least contest these areas then your team is at a severe disadvantage.  WHEN arty aims at these locations, what will you do?  If you leave then your team is screwed.  If you stay you get screwed.

This is the same problem when people parrot "stay arty safe", which translate into passively staying in an area that, in the end, has very little outcome on the battle.  So, in other words, you screw your team over if you "stay arty safe".  But if you go to the areas that lead to map control, which in turn leads to more victories, you get screwed yourself (i.e. hit by arty). 

JTM78 #22 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 20:19

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20875 battles
  • [OBSCN] OBSCN
I would like to see artillery doing damage equal to their national heavies tier for tier, I would also like to see the soft gun stats for artillery buffed, and the mobility needs buff to that of heavies. There is no sane reason that artillery should be do little to no damage when shooting top tier heavies to weaken them up for the team! Artillery used to do enougt damage that a camping or haul down tank would move but not any more!

golruul #23 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 20:24

Captain

• Players
  • 21410 battles

View PostMojo_Riesing, on Nov 06 2018 - 12:56, said:

Now this is a typical comment above.  Here's a guy, playing what amounts to a super-heavy..with a gun that can vaporize lower tiers (thank you 3/5/7) and pretty much ruin everyone else's day.  He loads up spall liner...he knows he needs to be play arty safe but....OMG!  He's driving a frickin' building around the field that moves like a sloth, turns like a battleship.  BTW, weren't Japanese super-heavies only conceived as mobile naval guns for defense of a land invasion of the Home Islands?   Ah, but i digress!  SO...gigantic slow moving tank...really a serious threat to the artillery players side and moving in...and is arty NOT supposed to "take 'em out"?  Do we actually need XVM to figure this out?  I don't think so.  If i'm playing arty against that..if he's in my range and view of fire..i'm gonna hammer that O-Ho into dust and i think my team kind of expects me to...then move on to the next imminent threat.  I RARELY see  anyone playing on a team with effective artillery complain about that kind of help winning...but i guess you can't fix stupid can you?

Besides...what other tank can you play with one hand...AND eat nachos with the other?  C'mon....does life get any better than that?

Have... have you actually played the O-Ho? 

It has the same gun as its tier 6 predecessor.  SAME GUN AS THE TIER 6, except it also has some of the worst, most frustrating frontal gun depression in the game.  And don't forget the vast majority of matches it's bottom tier in 3/5/7 where its armor doesn't really matter.

I can understand complaining about KV-2's derp at tier 6, or the stupid HESH rounds of British tier 10 TDs, or the stupid premium HE round of the Type 4/5, but the O-Ho isn't something to complain about.  Maybe pity a bit, but definitely not complain.

MeMeBigBoi #24 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 20:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32198 battles
  • [FD_UP] FD_UP

Remove arty, all good players leave the game because of it. I’ve never met a 3500 wn8 say that arty is a fair and good thing for that game 

Fireplace4 #25 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 20:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29900 battles

View PostMojo_Riesing, on Nov 06 2018 - 13:56, said:

After a long period of not playing Arty...i've gone back and re-discovered just how much i liked it!!   Despite the haters, it DOES take skill, of a different sort.  It DOES earn credits.  

I do sometimes think 3 might be too much but...oh well, sucks to be them i guess. 

Now this is a typical comment above.  Here's a guy, playing what amounts to a super-heavy..with a gun that can vaporize lower tiers (thank you 3/5/7) and pretty much ruin everyone else's day.  He loads up spall liner...he knows he needs to be play arty safe but....OMG!  He's driving a frickin' building around the field that moves like a sloth, turns like a battleship.  BTW, weren't Japanese super-heavies only conceived as mobile naval guns for defense of a land invasion of the Home Islands?   Ah, but i digress!  SO...gigantic slow moving tank...really a serious threat to the artillery players side and moving in...and is arty NOT supposed to "take 'em out"?  Do we actually need XVM to figure this out?  I don't think so.  If i'm playing arty against that..if he's in my range and view of fire..i'm gonna hammer that O-Ho into dust and i think my team kind of expects me to...then move on to the next imminent threat.  I RARELY see  anyone playing on a team with effective artillery complain about that kind of help winning...but i guess you can't fix stupid can you?

Besides...what other tank can you play with one hand...AND eat nachos with the other?  C'mon....does life get any better than that?

What I'm saying is that any other tank class targeting me I could do something about (and by the way, I was bottom tier), but when just "getting arty safe" isn't an option then there's nothing you can do but just eat a ruined game that wasyed my time. Any other tank class I could pull behind the hill and be safe, but not arty. You can't say that every non-city battle then whichever heavy the arty decides to target should essentially just go back to the garage

1N73LL1G3NC3 #26 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 20:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 4034 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View PostMeMeBigBoi, on Nov 06 2018 - 14:25, said:

I’ve never met a 3500 wn8 say that arty is a fair and good thing for that game 

Arty is a fair and good thing for the game.

Sorry, I fall short of your requirements, so I'll stat pad a bit more and come back later...

Hellsfog #27 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 21:28

Major

• Players
  • 34547 battles
  • [_SF_] _SF_

View PostgrandthefttankV, on Nov 06 2018 - 13:55, said:

Nah u

How was your nap sweetheart? Feel better? Would you like a snack?

Sugaree #28 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 21:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18359 battles
I'm of a mind that if you don't hate arty, we're not doing our job. We thrive off the hate, right up until the devs nerfed us for your tears. Still tasty, those tears.

Sugaree #29 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 21:34

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18359 battles
P.S. Seriously, though, I love the arty well enough I'd wait.

Sugaree #30 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 21:37

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18359 battles
Only crappy arty players only play with their mouse hand. Move after every shot. And no, I don't want you to get arty safe.

grandthefttankV #31 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 21:37

Captain

• Players
  • 31435 battles
  • [DBLTG] DBLTG

View PostHellsfog, on Nov 06 2018 - 20:28, said:

How was your nap sweetheart? Feel better? Would you like a snack?

What id really like is for you to stop copying and pasting first, maam

Backfire_ #32 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 21:38

Captain

• Players
  • 28047 battles
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT

View PostSugaree, on Nov 06 2018 - 12:40, said:

I love arty. I began this game and barely played anything but HT and MT. I decided one day to learn to play arty and LT. I fell in love and put my all-female crew in my m53/55 and was having a blast. So much fun. Then came the neutering. Arty, despite its big guns, doesn't do much damage anymore. I'd like to suggest, however unpopular arty is, to return arty to its previous power, but limit how many are in a match to 1.

Such is my suggestion. Thank you.

View PostgrandthefttankV, on Nov 06 2018 - 12:43, said:

I agree that arty is long overdue for a buff. Its time WG stop catering to crybabies and give arty its rightful place in the sun once again

I think arty could actually be improved with many suggestions I've seen in the forums since the latest rework (anything that adds more active gameplay and raises the skillcap and lowers skill floor).  I don't think a revert is the answer- more like a case of lessons learned and take another stab at it.  Personally (and this is just my own opinion) I still think the game works best without SPGs in high tier games, however I've seen good suggestions that could put it in a better place that its been or is now.  That would probably be the best approach for this since its still a very polarized class with many loving or hating it.  Best situation would be where SPG players are relatively content and it isn't despised by a large portion of player base.

Sugaree #33 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 21:41

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18359 battles

View PostBackfire_, on Nov 06 2018 - 14:38, said:

I think arty could actually be improved with many suggestions I've seen in the forums since the latest rework (anything that adds more active gameplay and raises the skillcap and lowers skill floor).  I don't think a revert is the answer- more like a case of lessons learned and take another stab at it.  Personally (and this is just my own opinion) I still think the game works best without SPGs in high tier games, however I've seen good suggestions that could put it in a better place that its been or is now.  That would probably be the best approach for this since its still a very polarized class with many loving or hating it.  Best situation would be where SPG players are relatively content and it isn't despised by a large portion of player base.

Improve, that's all I'm saying. Improve. Constantly improve.

Sugaree #34 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 21:43

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18359 battles

View Postgolruul, on Nov 06 2018 - 11:49, said:

Hey OP you realize that if they do this then you're going to be waiting a long, long time in the queue to get a battle, right?  And that you're going to time out a lot in the queue and have to re-queue again.

I love the arty well enough I'd wait.

Sugaree #35 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 21:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18359 battles

View Postthe_dude_76, on Nov 06 2018 - 11:48, said:

With one per match you'll be sitting in the queue for minutes every time you play. And anything less than 3 per match pretty much guarantees that there will never be an arty free match again...

Better to always have one arty than most the time to have three. Three is just way too much. I'd compromise at two. I think ideally one or none. When you're devoted to one of the line of tanks, you've got a fun time ahead, and that's how arty is for me. I barely want to play anymore. So many crew skills wasted. I had to retrain my crew and all I could put them in were LTs, and I hate playing LT.

Panman69 #36 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 21:48

Captain

• Players
  • 34669 battles

View PostTheDerpinator9000, on Nov 06 2018 - 18:48, said:

Probably a random suggestion that popped into my head, I see a lot of people saying 'evade' arty, and sorry for my noob like skills which help with my opinions, but what about a notification when arty is aiming at you? maybe 1 or 2 seconds after they start aiming at you? that way there can be more leeway with how the nerf / buff arty in the game, would there still be such a big argument about arty safe then? if you had fair warning before getting smacked in your engine deck for 500  HP and 3 modules?

Not trying to take any sides here but it popped into my head while I was reading these, as then, would become a question of why didn't you move?

Anywho, that's a random suggestion, lemme know how stupid it is.

There's already have something like this. It's called Sixth Sense...or at least that's one of the things I use it for.

When there's arty in the match and my 6th Sense goes off, I expect, at best, to be stunned within another second or two.

Now, if there was a mechanism that let the enemy know I was aiming at them when I play arty, I'd abuse that so much.

I'd keep aiming at anyone that got lit. Maybe never even fire a shot. Won't need to. Just need to keep them hiding long enough for my team to get into place.

And, even when I do fire a shot, I'd still target whoever gets lit while reloading. It's not like they'll know that I'm not actually going to shoot them. Again, just to spook them into doing something stupid or not doing something that they should have.

Sugaree #37 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 21:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18359 battles

View PostPanman69, on Nov 06 2018 - 14:48, said:

Now, if there was a mechanism that let the enemy know I was aiming at them when I play arty, I'd abuse that so much. I'd keep aiming at anyone that got lit. Maybe never even fire a shot. Won't need to. Just need to keep them hiding long enough for my team to get into place. And, even when I do fire a shot, I'd still target whoever gets lit while reloading. It's not like they'll know that I'm not actually going to shoot them. Again, just to spook them into doing something stupid or not doing something that they should have.

This is the kind of stuff left off the forums most of the time: The psychological side.

Croveski #38 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 23:43

Corporal

• Players
  • 11320 battles
  • [B0RT] B0RT

I did 3.3k damage and got a top gun in my 261 the other day. I somewhat consistently get 2k+ damage in it. They can still pump out damage, you just can't oneshot things anymore which was probably the #1 complaint from everyone who doesn't play arty, that your tank can just explode through literally no fault of your own other than enemy arty deciding yours shall be the day that they ruin.

Arty does not need the ability to oneshot things.

Edited by Croveski, Nov 06 2018 - 23:43.

Hellsfog #39 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 23:45

Major

• Players
  • 34547 battles
  • [_SF_] _SF_

View PostgrandthefttankV, on Nov 06 2018 - 15:37, said:

What id really like is for you to stop copying and pasting first, maam

Maybe after your nap, sweet pea. When you're less cranky. 

Croveski #40 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 23:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 11320 battles
  • [B0RT] B0RT
And for the record, as someone who has reached tier X in arty, I very strongly believe arty is not good for the game's health. It is fun to play mainly because it's so insanely easy and great to relax with after whiteknuckling in medium tanks. Most of the time you don't even need to bother with shoot 'n scoot. I didn't move an inch in that top gun 261 match. If they removed arty and gave people XP compensation, I wouldn't mind one bit.

Also remember when the idea behind arty was that it "prevents camping?" Absolutely hilarious :P

Edited by Croveski, Nov 06 2018 - 23:55.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users