Suggestion for World of Tank to help new players learning and staying with the game.

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

whatzisit #1 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 18:54

Private

• -Players-
  • 6967 battles
  • [NEAD] NEAD

In the current setting new players face at least two major obstacles which make them delusional and wanting to quit the game before they can enjoy it.

1st, new players have a stiff learning curves to master lot of techniques. 2nd, while they are learning these skills at lower tier tanks, they face many highly skilled, and experienced players who are farming them for damages. These two factors can easily cause new player to quit the game.

WG can help new players building their skills before they face experienced players. It should restrict all player from signing up directly with WOT, but instead direct them to sign up with WOT-Lite. In other words, a different server for all new comers.

Only when players accomplished predetermined tread holds before they have option to transfer to the regular WOT server. At this time, a “button” will light up which allows players to click on it to merge their accounts with the regular WOT server. All historical data, awards, tanks, XP, Free XP, and gold are transferred to WOT. Once this is done, there is no reversing back to WOT-Lite.

Utilizing “carrots, and stick” approach to guide these players along their journeys.

WOT-Lite, by design, will prevent seal clubbing, since no players from WOT are allowed to log in with WOT-Lite. The only way for experienced players to log-in WOT-Lite is to create new accounts which put them at somewhat even footing with new players in term of crew skills, equipment, and tanks.

New players have access to all tank classes, (after advancing thru the tiers), up to tier V, for the three original nations, Germany, USA, & USSR; rest of other nations’ tanks are grayed out and will not be available in WOT-Lite.

MM in WOT-Lite can be adjusted to as follow:

Tier I      +2

Tier II     -1, +2

Tier III   -2, +2

Tier IV   -2, +1

Tier V    -1

Here comes the “carrots”.

There are Tutorials with actual game played short videos for each of major skills such as, spotting mechanic, hull down, side scraping, peek a poo, aiming, weak spot, view range, crew skills training options, equipment options, etc.…. First time new players click on each of these tutorials, they are awarded with small goodies, whatever WG deems appreciate.

As players progress to higher tier tanks, there will be set of missions related to these skills to help them improving their skills, and receiving prizes at the same time. Once players reach a predetermined number of games, researched three different classes of tier V tanks, or however many that WG decides, and completed all above missions, then the transfer “button” will be available for players to merge their WOT-Lite accounts to the regular WOT account.

Then follows by the “Sticks”

Once players are eligible to transfer to WOT server, they have limited number of games, either by XP earned, number of game played per tanks, or whatever crazy barometers WG decides, they can play in WOT-Lite, before the penalty phases kick in.

1st phase- earned 50% less XP

2nd phase- Earned 75% less XP

3rd phase- Earned 75% less XP, and triple repair cost.

Once the players’ accounts are in negative XP, they can either buy gold to convert to XP to continue to play at the 3rd phase of penalty. Or click the “button” to merge their accounts to WOT.

Limitations to this approach:

1. Legal requirements- who knows what, lawyers are known to be fun killers
  2. System/staffing resources are required to maintain separate servers across the globe.  

Thanks for reading. Feel free to add your ideas. Let’s this be a brainstorming session. Trolling is accepted. (They can be funny lots of times.)

Happy Tanking!

TDRHooRaH #2 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 19:09

Major

• Players
  • 23412 battles
I think if we all earned more credits and the grinds were not so long and sometimes totally painful people would stick around longer.

Hellsfog #3 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 19:25

Major

• Players
  • 34547 battles
  • [_SF_] _SF_

Tiers 1 to 3 and tier 4 heavies already have pref MM (+1/-1) and the tutorial is better than it was.  You are practically auto leveled to tier 4 with a solid crew. Then WG gives you a free tier 6.

Segregating a limited population into even smaller populations is probably bad. Additionally, I think trying to protect new players from a small chance of meeting a genuinely competent player is wasted effort. I mean do we really need to protect new players from somebody with 265 battles in a PzIVA with a 43% win rate and a dpg of 47?  I don't think we do. 

Even without the free tier 6, most players are only below tier 5 for a brief period of time.  Protecting players from so brief an exposure to so small a threat seems unnecessary. 

If you make moving to the full server optional, seal clubbers won't move. Since you've made a small population even smaller, the impact of seal clubbers will more keenly felt than if it was a larger population. Remember is they cared about rewards, they wouldn't be seal clubbers. 

I would like to see WG eliminate crew retraining below tier 5 for accounts with less than 100 battles. It makes little sense to give a new player a decent crew only to have it go to crapat tier 5, arguably when a new player needs it the most. 

Flaming_Manatees #4 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 19:27

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12906 battles

I tried to get my brother into Wot long ago and he hated it because

1) he couldn't hit anything with 50% crew (reticle the size of manhattan)

2) he couldn't see what was shooting him (spotting mechanics take a long time to explain)

3) low tier tanks die in 2 seconds

As you said, there's a steep learning curve to WoT and casual gamers like my bro just don't have the patience to grind up a line if they're dying quickly and constantly in the beginning.

My suggestions:

1) A much better training tutorial 

2) A new game mode where beginners can run around and shoot each other, die, and respawn quickly while getting constant tips about how to play better before throwing them into a real match

3) 100% crew for the first couple tanks so they aren't gimped by [edited]crew (and subsequently think that their tanks suck)

One of the biggest gripes I have is that low tier gameplay is so different compared to high tier gameplay. Teaching players about spotting mechanics, armor angling, etc. really doesn't mean crap below tier 5. There needs to be a way to transition new players from low tier gameplay thinking to high tier. I'm not sure about the best way to do this other than completely revamping low tier gameplay so that it more accurately matches what they would see later on (or having different tutorials for different tiers, but that would have its own set of problems).

Edited by Flaming_Manatees, Nov 07 2018 - 19:28.

Hellsfog #5 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 19:35

Major

• Players
  • 34547 battles
  • [_SF_] _SF_

@flaming_manatees, the starting tutorial is much better now and you are given a decent crew and enough gold to keep it together until tier 5.  I don't know when he tried the game but low tier MM is much more forgiving as well.  Have your brother try on a new account and see if he enjoys it any better.  

I think you're right about the experience being different in mid and higher tiers.  The biggest mistake I see new players make is sitting still while getting shot repeatedly. I don't know how you tutorial that one. 

Flaming_Manatees #6 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 19:45

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12906 battles

@Hellsfog that's good to hear about the training tutorials being better now. It was many years ago that he tried it and unfortunately I don't think I could convince him to try again (that tank has sailed as it were).

One thing I've never understood is why they haven't incorporated a tanks.gg type armor model in-game. This would help both beginners and advanced players learn how to penetrate armor and also how to angle their own. To me this is such a fundamental tool for understanding how to play tanks (one I'm sure would require quite a few resources to apply but still).

Crypticshock #7 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 19:50

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17932 battles
  • [TROBS] TROBS

Flaw in the entire idea... How can Tier 5 only get -1 MM while Tier 3 has +2 MM. If Tier 5 can't see tier 3 by the -1 rule, how does tier 3 see tier 5 in the +2 MM?

Lets not even begin to get into the complete, horrid, imbalance there is at low tier and how destructive it would be to see tier 4 and tier 2, tier 3 and tier 1 or tier 5 as tier 3.

conan_the_tank #8 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 22:32

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 29364 battles
I'm sure things could be done better, and as others have said, easier grinds for tanks and crews might be a good start.  But maybe we should simply admit that WoT is not for casual gamers.  And maybe that's ok.  I don't think I'd like it as much if it were easy.

Crypticshock #9 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 23:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17932 battles
  • [TROBS] TROBS
WoT is an ancient game still clinging on to ancient systems. Case in point - 50/75/100% crews. Crew skills. Crew retraining - You crew gets zapped and forgets everything about the Tiger I once you retrain to the Tiger II. If you don't adapt after 6+ years you just don't grow. Newer players can't be retained because they run as far away as possible because they are so far behind everyone else.

Derpomagix #10 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 00:07

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2122 battles

When I started WoT (not so very long ago :P) I was immensely frustrated with the game.

I come from Blitz, so I know how to angle, sidescrape, go hull down, flank. I understand armor and spotting mechanics.

What made me frustrated was twofold. One, WoT PC is entirely different in terms of gameplay. By this, I mean that in Blitz, you can pretty much tunnel a part of the map and not have to worry about flanking fire; and you could easily track and guess where seven opponents are. But PC has huge maps, and huge teams, and that took a while to wrap my head around. I'm fine with that now.

But the second one - quality of players - is what really got me. At tier 1 and 2, I was regularly having the $#!% beat out of me by players with 50,000 battles. This was happening every flipping game, so I was (apparently) dumb and bought a tier 8 premium. And guess what? I started to enjoy the game, at tier 8. Less unicums, more ordinary players.

So as to the OP's post - making the game friendly for nubs would involve restricting tiers 1 and 2 to players who do not have a good WN8. 

And... if you moan about the state of the players at tier 8, now you know why. It's the same in Blitz. As one forumer over there (called "_Seal_", :amazed:) said, "I have said this before. The reason seals are migrating to tier X is because there are too many clubbers at 1-5. Its no longer safe, even in our homeland."

Dun dun dun...

RonCopeland #11 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 01:19

Private

• -Players-
  • 5 battles
The whole game is bad for new players. It's pay-to-win with rigged MM. That's why NA is dead.

NeatoMan #12 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 03:35

Major

• Players
  • 26212 battles

View PostFlaming_Manatees, on Nov 07 2018 - 13:27, said:

3) 100% crew for the first couple tanks so they aren't gimped by [edited]crew (and subsequently think that their tanks suck)

Yep.   For a game that is 7 years old all new crews should begin at 100%.   New players queue up against veterans with crews that are way beyond the kind of crews that we encountered years ago.  The starting point needs to adjust upward to reflect that.

minneerminneer #13 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 09:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29286 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
What wg need to do is set a limiter for how you can progress still have the xp req but also have it so to get into a tier 8 tank you need 5k pr.  5k pr is very easy to get and if you don't have it then you are lacking in basic game knoledge and are going to be a detriment to your team.

The_Ice_Cream_Man_ #14 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 12:05

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 24102 battles

View Postwhatzisit, on Nov 07 2018 - 18:54, said:

In the current setting new players face at least two major obstacles which make them delusional and wanting to quit the game before they can enjoy it.

1st, new players have a stiff learning curves to master lot of techniques. 2nd, while they are learning these skills at lower tier tanks, they face many highly skilled, and experienced players who are farming them for damages. These two factors can easily cause new player to quit the game.

WG can help new players building their skills before they face experienced players. It should restrict all player from signing up directly with WOT, but instead direct them to sign up with WOT-Lite. In other words, a different server for all new comers.

Only when players accomplished predetermined tread holds before they have option to transfer to the regular WOT server. At this time, a “button” will light up which allows players to click on it to merge their accounts with the regular WOT server. All historical data, awards, tanks, XP, Free XP, and gold are transferred to WOT. Once this is done, there is no reversing back to WOT-Lite.

Utilizing “carrots, and stick” approach to guide these players along their journeys.

WOT-Lite, by design, will prevent seal clubbing, since no players from WOT are allowed to log in with WOT-Lite. The only way for experienced players to log-in WOT-Lite is to create new accounts which put them at somewhat even footing with new players in term of crew skills, equipment, and tanks.

New players have access to all tank classes, (after advancing thru the tiers), up to tier V, for the three original nations, Germany, USA, & USSR; rest of other nations’ tanks are grayed out and will not be available in WOT-Lite.

MM in WOT-Lite can be adjusted to as follow:

Tier I      +2

Tier II     -1, +2

Tier III   -2, +2

Tier IV   -2, +1

Tier V    -1

Here comes the “carrots”.

There are Tutorials with actual game played short videos for each of major skills such as, spotting mechanic, hull down, side scraping, peek a poo, aiming, weak spot, view range, crew skills training options, equipment options, etc.…. First time new players click on each of these tutorials, they are awarded with small goodies, whatever WG deems appreciate.

As players progress to higher tier tanks, there will be set of missions related to these skills to help them improving their skills, and receiving prizes at the same time. Once players reach a predetermined number of games, researched three different classes of tier V tanks, or however many that WG decides, and completed all above missions, then the transfer “button” will be available for players to merge their WOT-Lite accounts to the regular WOT account.

Then follows by the “Sticks”

Once players are eligible to transfer to WOT server, they have limited number of games, either by XP earned, number of game played per tanks, or whatever crazy barometers WG decides, they can play in WOT-Lite, before the penalty phases kick in.

1st phase- earned 50% less XP

2nd phase- Earned 75% less XP

3rd phase- Earned 75% less XP, and triple repair cost.

Once the players’ accounts are in negative XP, they can either buy gold to convert to XP to continue to play at the 3rd phase of penalty. Or click the “button” to merge their accounts to WOT.

Limitations to this approach:

1. Legal requirements- who knows what, lawyers are known to be fun killers
  2. System/staffing resources are required to maintain separate servers across the globe.  

Thanks for reading. Feel free to add your ideas. Let’s this be a brainstorming session. Trolling is accepted. (They can be funny lots of times.)

Happy Tanking!

Implement IQ test and mandatory drug test every 60 days from certified medical practitioner, with fax sent to WG office with seal

Blackstone #15 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 13:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16664 battles
  • [-IGC-] -IGC-

How about this: don't be cheap, spend the coin, and get your crew to AT LEAST 80%. 

That was one of the top things I learned by watching tutorials on the game on YouTube. 

But if you want to not spend any credits and run you tanks as if they're from a 3rd world country, that's up to you.

SteelRonin #16 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 15:09

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23037 battles
  • [SAKAI] SAKAI

This game has a lot of mechanics, it is hard to explain them all. I tried to help a friend yersterday and dayum bro...I don't even know where to start...as all is connected, the type of tank, the map, your position in the team, the spotting mechanics, the damage/penetration mechanics, the early game, the mid game, the late game, where, when and how to move your tank..

I took me almost half hour to explain 30% of the positions in ONE map.....

This game really needs a complete tutorial, and a tutorial for the HUD...

MachinGun567 #17 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 17:24

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19702 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
What I'm getting from what everyone is saying is that they want it to become easier for people to progress to higher tiers. To that I have to say no thanks there is enough crapat the top with all the people who get rentals and what not.

coconut2011 #18 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 17:34

Captain

• Players
  • 56843 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

The main issue is that a lot of new players treat this game as a race to tier 10, which WoT is not.

The thing is, it is better spending a lot of time playing tier 5 and 6 to learn the map, techniques, etc.  And then slowly move up the tiers.

SpectreHD #19 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 17:51

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16592 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostFlaming_Manatees, on Nov 08 2018 - 02:27, said:

My suggestions:

1) A much better training tutorial 

2) A new game mode where beginners can run around and shoot each other, die, and respawn quickly while getting constant tips about how to play better before throwing them into a real match

One of the biggest gripes I have is that low tier gameplay is so different compared to high tier gameplay. Teaching players about spotting mechanics, armor angling, etc. really doesn't mean crap below tier 5. There needs to be a way to transition new players from low tier gameplay thinking to high tier. I'm not sure about the best way to do this other than completely revamping low tier gameplay so that it more accurately matches what they would see later on (or having different tutorials for different tiers, but that would have its own set of problems).

Your suggestions are very similar to mine. Doesn't help that low tier balance is horrid, time to kill so low, that new players barely learn anything playing from those early tiers yet can so easily progress(fail their way) up.

View PostHellsfog, on Nov 08 2018 - 02:35, said:

@flaming_manatees, the starting tutorial is much better now and you are given a decent crew and enough gold to keep it together until tier 5.  I don't know when he tried the game but low tier MM is much more forgiving as well.  Have your brother try on a new account and see if he enjoys it any better.  

I think you're right about the experience being different in mid and higher tiers.  The biggest mistake I see new players make is sitting still while getting shot repeatedly. I don't know how you tutorial that one. 

The starting tutorial is better. But really not by much at all. It still just skims the surface. Tutorials need to explain the mechanics in a more in depth manner.

View PostNeatoMan, on Nov 08 2018 - 10:35, said:

Yep.   For a game that is 7 years old all new crews should begin at 100%.   New players queue up against veterans with crews that are way beyond the kind of crews that we encountered years ago.  The starting point needs to adjust upward to reflect that.

Wow. That is actually a good point! I've always suggested newly researched tanks come straight with 100% crew. Your argument for why it should be done really is a strong, convincing argument.

If WG is worried about lost revenue from crew training, I say they get enough from players bringing up and retraining the more experienced crews to the higher tier vehicles. And whatever lost revenue would be more than made up from new players joining AND staying.

Really, there needs to be more quality of life improvements for new players especially for a game as old as WoT.

Edited by SpectreHD, Nov 08 2018 - 17:52.

Rottax #20 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 22:42

Sergeant

• Players
  • 35983 battles
  • [AMOX] AMOX

View PostTDRHooRaH, on Nov 07 2018 - 12:09, said:

I think if we all earned more credits and the grinds were not so long and sometimes totally painful people would stick around longer.

exactly how bad players get into tanks they lack to skill to drive

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users