Suggestion for World of Tank to help new players learning and staying with the game.

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

The_Ice_Cream_Man_ #21 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 22:45

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 24133 battles
I still think Mandatory IQ test, and Mandatory Drug test is best solution for new players.

TDRHooRaH #22 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 22:51

Major

• Players
  • 23413 battles

View PostRottax, on Nov 08 2018 - 16:42, said:

exactly how bad players get into tanks they lack to skill to drive

Nope.

They buy tier 8 premiums.

Copacetic #23 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 23:22

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 39186 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
Survival of the fittest.

NeatoMan #24 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 02:15

Major

• Players
  • 26212 battles

View PostSpectreHD, on Nov 08 2018 - 11:51, said:

View PostNeatoMan, on Nov 08 2018 - 10:35, said:

Yep.   For a game that is 7 years old all new crews should begin at 100%.   New players queue up against veterans with crews that are way beyond the kind of crews that we encountered years ago.  The starting point needs to adjust upward to reflect that.

Wow. That is actually a good point! I've always suggested newly researched tanks come straight with 100% crew. Your argument for why it should be done really is a strong, convincing argument.

If WG is worried about lost revenue from crew training, I say they get enough from players bringing up and retraining the more experienced crews to the higher tier vehicles. And whatever lost revenue would be more than made up from new players joining AND staying.

Really, there needs to be more quality of life improvements for new players especially for a game as old as WoT.

I would actually go further and include free 6th sense for all commanders

Captain_Rownd #25 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 02:44

Captain

• -Players-
  • 2557 battles
Crew training is definitely a very big problem.  I remember playing with a lot of 60-80% crew members the first couple months I was playing Tanks.  The crew would barely make any progress before unlocking the next vehicles, and then I'd have to move and retrain them and recruit more untrained crew members.  Since I was doing bad I was always short on credits.  Eventually WG defeated my will to live and I bought a couple of War Chests so I could train my crews and purchase binoculars. 

Edited by Captain_Rownd, Nov 09 2018 - 02:45.

SpectreHD #26 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 05:03

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16592 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostNeatoMan, on Nov 09 2018 - 09:15, said:

I would actually go further and include free 6th sense for all commanders

Yeah, this is another common suggestion. But just to appease some of the older players who believe new players should "earn" their crew skills as they get beat on by long time players, reduce the EXP cost to level the first crew skills.

EXP cost as a whole do need another look as crew skills really take too much exp than their really worth after the second or third skill.

NeatoMan #27 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 12:55

Major

• Players
  • 26212 battles

View PostSpectreHD, on Nov 08 2018 - 23:03, said:

EXP cost as a whole do need another look as crew skills really take too much exp than their really worth after the second or third skill.

I think this is a good thing that it plateaus like that.  If crew XP reqs didn't increase exponentially, then us veterans would be even further ahead of newbies in terms of crew skills.  Kind of forces you to make decisions for the first few skills.  You get your essential skills, and after that it's just icing on the cake.  You really shouldn't be getting that much more of an advantage

awildseaking #28 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 13:19

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 10913 battles
  • [NEET] NEET

I would redo crew skills so it doesn't take you a thousand games to be at parity with everyone else for just one tech tree.

Anyone ever done the math to see how long it would take a new player with an elite T2 or T3 tank to grind up to a 3 skill crew? Remember that they're not going to be unicums, they aren't in premium tanks, and they won't have any premium time or reserves.

Fact is that crew skills haven't been changed even once over an 8 year period. Here's what I would do:

1. Universal sixth sense. There isn't an actual choice about whether or not you take sixth sense. View range and concealment are too variable for spotting to be uniform so you need to know exactly when you've been spotted.
  2. Integrate repairs, concealment, view range, BiA and all other soft stat increasing skills into base tank parameters. These aren't choices either. They're just objective, straight upgrades.
  3. Add a skill limit so you actually have to make choices. Also serves as a balancing factor for tanks that have smaller crews that double up on roles.

Edited by awildseaking, Nov 09 2018 - 13:38.

DEADTIME #29 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 13:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10197 battles
  • [CS7AO] CS7AO
The confusing thing for new players is that a lot of the low levels are filled with purple jackwagons farming them but go to a higher tier say 8 with a premium and they face normal grunts like me. So in WOT the higher levels are far more friendly which is backwards but welcome to WOT. 

UnturnedLeaf #30 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 15:28

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 24354 battles
  • [DG-HD] DG-HD

perhaps powercreep isn't just about tanks themselves but crews. after years of maturation the game has inherently more highly skilled crews than the early years. therefore new players may be facing a far steeper learning curve than was the case years ago with the disparity in ability so much greater. 

further, it does seem that a lot of the expert players (not ALL) with these high-skilled crews, coupled with their years of experience seem to tend more toward shaming the new players rather than lending a learned hand. if only this expertise could be channeled into more helpful energy then the game would grow stronger than it does now.

for the life of me i don't know why more time isn't spent in the training rooms. so much can be taught there in a slow paced comfortable environment. imagine having experienced players taking time to help a small group at a time learn that way. it strikes me as an even better way to learn from the experts than the hundreds of thousands of silly YT replays showing 12K damage and 13 kills in totally isolated cases; many of which don't have any arty lol

NeatoMan #31 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 16:11

Major

• Players
  • 26212 battles

View PostUnturnedLeaf, on Nov 09 2018 - 09:28, said:

perhaps powercreep isn't just about tanks themselves but crews. after years of maturation the game has inherently more highly skilled crews than the early years. therefore new players may be facing a far steeper learning curve than was the case years ago with the disparity in ability so much greater. 

further, it does seem that a lot of the expert players (not ALL) with these high-skilled crews, coupled with their years of experience seem to tend more toward shaming the new players rather than lending a learned hand. if only this expertise could be channeled into more helpful energy then the game would grow stronger than it does now.

for the life of me i don't know why more time isn't spent in the training rooms. so much can be taught there in a slow paced comfortable environment. imagine having experienced players taking time to help a small group at a time learn that way. it strikes me as an even better way to learn from the experts than the hundreds of thousands of silly YT replays showing 12K damage and 13 kills in totally isolated cases; many of which don't have any arty lol

WG got rid of many of the game modes that players used to learn the game.   Company battles was a good arena to introduce players to organized play/clans, but it's gone.  team battles could have been that arena but WG botched it royally. 

IMO WG does this on purpose.  They don't want any other successful game mode outside random battles, because it will draw people away from their main source of revenue; the grind in random battles.

SpectreHD #32 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 17:35

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16592 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostNeatoMan, on Nov 09 2018 - 19:55, said:

I think this is a good thing that it plateaus like that.  If crew XP reqs didn't increase exponentially, then us veterans would be even further ahead of newbies in terms of crew skills.  Kind of forces you to make decisions for the first few skills.  You get your essential skills, and after that it's just icing on the cake.  You really shouldn't be getting that much more of an advantage

I can see that. The thing is with a revamp of the EXP costs, new players would easily level up as well. I would argue that long time players such as us with multi-skilled crews, the EXP cost is just too much for the small benefits they give. This isn't just about new vs. old players but about skills and their EXP costs as a whole that needs a reworking. All skills I feel should be useful. There is no point having something in the game that provides so little benefit, and there are really some useless skills, for the EXP cost.

WG said they are doing something but that was ages ago. I think last year, even more and we haven't heard any news since.

UnturnedLeaf #33 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 18:39

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 24354 battles
  • [DG-HD] DG-HD

View PostNeatoMan, on Nov 09 2018 - 09:11, said:

WG got rid of many of the game modes that players used to learn the game.   Company battles was a good arena to introduce players to organized play/clans, but it's gone.  team battles could have been that arena but WG botched it royally. 

IMO WG does this on purpose.  They don't want any other successful game mode outside random battles, because it will draw people away from their main source of revenue; the grind in random battles.

thanks Neato for the courteous response. but maybe i'm missing your point or you're missing mine. training rooms are already in place by WG already and do not offer any credits or XP, just an opportunity for learning. and my thought is that new players, or bad ones like myself, would take that knowledge to the random mode and enjoy themselves more. no?

Trauglodyte #34 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 19:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 16092 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View Postminneerminneer, on Nov 08 2018 - 09:11, said:

What wg need to do is set a limiter for how you can progress still have the xp req but also have it so to get into a tier 8 tank you need 5k pr.  5k pr is very easy to get and if you don't have it then you are lacking in basic game knoledge and are going to be a detriment to your team.

View PostMachinGun567, on Nov 08 2018 - 17:24, said:

What I'm getting from what everyone is saying is that they want it to become easier for people to progress to higher tiers. To that I have to say no thanks there is enough crapat the top with all the people who get rentals and what not.

View Postcoconut2011, on Nov 08 2018 - 17:34, said:

The main issue is that a lot of new players treat this game as a race to tier 10, which WoT is not.

The thing is, it is better spending a lot of time playing tier 5 and 6 to learn the map, techniques, etc.  And then slowly move up the tiers.

I agree with all of what you're saying.  But, what do you do about people that have 30k+ games and still are stuck at 45-47% win rate and super tomato stats?  To that end, you should probably initiate a rule where, if you have a 5k+ personal rating, you can't play below tier 6.

The problem with the new player experience is because you've got bad crews in stock tanks in the hands of players that don't know anything while facing tanks that may or may not be fully kitted out and sporting single shot derp canons of doom.  When I first joined the game, the presence of 105 mm Pz. IV Hs and M4s combined with O-I Experiment, O-I, KV-2, KV-1S derp, etc. just ground me into the dirt.  Combine that with not understanding vision and thinking that the green circle was my radio range - yay for no information what was what back then - and it made for a horrible experience.  Even now, when you play tier 8 in a tier 10 game, the experience is bad because your ability to deal damage and withstand damage is greatly tilted against you.

I'm all for gating but I'm afraid doing that would be a game killer.  Just my opinion.

NeatoMan #35 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 19:20

Major

• Players
  • 26212 battles

View PostUnturnedLeaf, on Nov 09 2018 - 12:39, said:

thanks Neato for the courteous response. but maybe i'm missing your point or you're missing mine. training rooms are already in place by WG already and do not offer any credits or XP, just an opportunity for learning. and my thought is that new players, or bad ones like myself, would take that knowledge to the random mode and enjoy themselves more. no?

Half the time training rooms are filled with squeaky voiced 10 year olds playing tag.  Not gonna learn much there.

What is the incentive for players who already know the game to go into training rooms to teach newbies?  

UnturnedLeaf #36 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 19:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 24354 battles
  • [DG-HD] DG-HD

View PostNeatoMan, on Nov 09 2018 - 12:20, said:

Half the time training rooms are filled with squeaky voiced 10 year olds playing tag.  Not gonna learn much there.

What is the incentive for players who already know the game to go into training rooms to teach newbies?  

what is the point of teaching anyone anything? oh, the humanity!! lol

Cruxdei #37 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 19:37

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14421 battles
new players want world of tanks battle royale with fortnite dance and gold weapons.

NeatoMan #38 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 20:10

Major

• Players
  • 26212 battles

View PostUnturnedLeaf, on Nov 09 2018 - 13:27, said:

what is the point of teaching anyone anything? oh, the humanity!! lol

I get paid to teach.  I get enough of those 45k, 45% players in my classes, and this is at the college level.   I couldn't imagine teaching on a lower level where you'd get even more that just don't care, and then not even get paid for it.

Your asking for the player base to make up for a shortcoming of the WG game design department in removing or failing to implement modes that could help teach newer players.  WG: "why bother if players will do it for free?"

gmotoman #39 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 20:16

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 20994 battles

View Postminneerminneer, on Nov 08 2018 - 09:11, said:

.  5k pr is very easy to get and if you don't have it then you are lacking in basic game knowledge and are going to be a detriment to your team.

Huh I may be in lots of trouble.....3600PR last i checked. 

Captain_Rownd #40 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 20:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 2557 battles

View Postgmotoman, on Nov 09 2018 - 09:16, said:

Huh I may be in lots of trouble.....3600PR last i checked. 

Stop bragging about your high PR, man!  :hiding:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users