Dez lays out some of the "mods" and cheats being used.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

DEADTIME #1 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 21:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10197 battles
  • [CS7AO] CS7AO
All those times you thought something was a bit odd might have actually been a cheat.imagine how many players were told they had a tinfoil hat or there are no cheats because everything is run server side.

VooDooKobra #2 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 22:07

Major

• Players
  • 8373 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

View PostDEADTIME, on Nov 07 2018 - 13:51, said:

All those times you thought something was a bit odd might have actually been a cheat.imagine how many players were told they had a tinfoil hat or there are no cheats because everything is run server side.

actually what people say is there is no hacks due to things being server side.  No one has said anything about no cheats, there is a big difference between an illegal mod and a server hack.  Somehow this seems to get misquoted often

omi5cron #3 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 22:10

Major

• Players
  • 21177 battles
  • [2323] 2323
cheat mods(client side)...yup..cheat hacks (serverside)...nope. and i think cheat mods are used rarely...but i have no actual clue.the stuff i see is totally explainable by non-cheat mods(again i dont know for sure)(and frankly i dont care)

Hellsfog #4 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 22:12

Major

• Players
  • 34547 battles
  • [_SF_] _SF_

View PostVooDooKobra, on Nov 07 2018 - 16:07, said:

actually what people say is there is no hacks due to things being server side.  No one has said anything about no cheats, there is a big difference between an illegal mod and a server hack.  Somehow this seems to get misquoted often

Usually it's misquoted by the cheats are everywhere crowd to somehow discredit anyone who says cheats aren't everywhere.

_Tsavo_ #5 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 22:13

Major

• Players
  • 42337 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I'm still convinced most hackusation claims that pop up on the forums are due to poor situational awareness.  To Joe Baddie, good gameplay and cheats are indistinguishable.

Nunya_000 #6 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 22:19

Major

• Players
  • 21063 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

Hacks = 

• Changing penetration values so you have better penetration
  • Shooting through solid objects
  • Changing spotting mechanics to see better or become invisible.
  • Changing armor value so nobody can penetrate you.

These are all examples of "hacks".  These items (and many more) are handled by the game server and would likely impact ALL tanks being played if they were hacked on the server.

Cheat = Anything handled client side (user's computer) and where data is changed to be display in a manner on your monitor to provide an advantage.  

cloudwalkr #7 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 22:24

Major

• Players
  • 54542 battles

No one with half a brain has ever said there weren't "hacks" (used wrongly in most cases) in this game.  What people (with a clue) generally state is that they are not as prevalent as most assume and that they will not make you a superstar.

I don't want to face cheaters anymore than the normal person, but the simple fact is that there are far fewer cheaters than people choose to realize.  So, do people cheat in this game?  Sure.  Is it as popular as some would choose to believe?  I highly doubt it. 

The people saying that you can't hack the game because it's server side...are correct.  You cannot break into the game and truly hack the server without WG knowing it and without seeing it change things.  You can, and this is what people do with illegal mods, change some of the information that is blocked from your computer by the server.  I'm not a tech guy, so I'm sure there are more intelligent people out there that can describe this better than I have.

I'm regularly accused of cheating and I run a vanilla client.  I honestly feel videos like this do more damage than good because all it does is reinforce anyone who wants to believe they lose to hackers.  This is just false reinforcement for soooooo many people in this game that refuse to learn game mechanics and would rather accuse others of cheating in order to beat them.

So, yes...people do cheat in this game.  It's not as hardcore as most want to believe though.

Trauglodyte #8 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 22:26

Major

• -Players-
  • 16092 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View Post_Tsavo_, on Nov 07 2018 - 22:13, said:

I'm still convinced most hackusation claims that pop up on the forums are due to poor situational awareness.  To Joe Baddie, good gameplay and cheats are indistinguishable.

It is largely quoted by people that don't understand the mechanics and/or refuse to accept that they're to blame for whatever got them killed.  Wall hacks, autoaim bots, etc.  It is always the same thing.  Hell, some of it is a great computer vs. a turd with inputs and outputs or momentary lag.  None of that is to say that there aren't people out there using illegal mods.  But, the chances of it happening routinely, which is what bad players want to blame, is too remote.

"I'm as good as a unicum but my stats don't show it because of hackers."  Ugh! :facepalm:

the_Deadly_Bulb #9 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 22:46

Major

• Players
  • 22595 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postcloudwalkr, on Nov 07 2018 - 13:24, said:

I honestly feel videos like this do more damage than good because all it does is reinforce anyone who wants to believe they lose to hackers.  This is just false reinforcement for soooooo many people in this game that refuse to learn game mechanics and would rather accuse others of cheating in order to beat them.

So, yes...people do cheat in this game.  It's not as hardcore as most want to believe though.

Such a good post.

All true.

Here is the best part IMO.

Sorry, but I don't feel this vid is helpful.

It much like a car ad where the tiny printing along the bottom provides the caveat "do not attempt, professional driver on a closed course"

The caveat to this vid is, "looks can be deceiving, and while this can happen its not happening as often as you wish/think it is" :honoring:

F0R_M07H3R_RU5514 #10 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 22:56

Major

• Players
  • 50341 battles
  • [_SF_] _SF_
The one I see most often is the claim of wall or rock hacks, which is actually due to the poor modeling of terrain and obstacles.  You THINK you're behind something, when the damage model doesn't fully match the visual model.

Nunya_000 #11 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 23:01

Major

• Players
  • 21063 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostF0R_M07H3R_RU5514, on Nov 07 2018 - 13:56, said:

The one I see most often is the claim of wall or rock hacks, which is actually due to the poor modeling of terrain and obstacles.  You THINK you're behind something, when the damage model doesn't fully match the visual model.

I would bet that most of these claims are more of the result of a small part of the tank being exposed past the obstacle.  It seems like some people think that just because they can not see the other tank that the other tank can not see them.  In reality they look like this:

Hurk #12 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 23:05

Major

• Players
  • 52113 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostNunya_000, on Nov 07 2018 - 15:01, said:

I would bet that most of these claims are more of the result of a small part of the tank being exposed past the obstacle.  It seems like some people think that just because they can not see the other tank that the other tank can not see them.  In reality they look like this:

in world of tanks, that child cannot spot you. his view ports are blocked.

but you can spot him, because his side spotting points are visible. 

many people think that they should be able to "spot" off the sides of their tanks (or have tanks with offset commander hatches and dont realise the spotting point is over the center of the tank, not the hatch)

Nunya_000 #13 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 23:14

Major

• Players
  • 21063 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostHurk, on Nov 07 2018 - 14:05, said:

in world of tanks, that child cannot spot you. his view ports are blocked.

but you can spot him, because his side spotting points are visible. 

many people think that they should be able to "spot" off the sides of their tanks (or have tanks with offset commander hatches and dont realise the spotting point is over the center of the tank, not the hatch)

That child is obviously a noob.....or is it newb.

Hurk #14 Posted Nov 07 2018 - 23:35

Major

• Players
  • 52113 battles
  • [KGR] KGR
i would say newb in his case, since hes new(b), and not just bad. 

VooDooKobra #15 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 04:22

Major

• Players
  • 8373 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE
imo any time you have a competitive environment whether it be games or sports or others, you will have those who are so insecure in their own ability to the point they feel they need to cheat in order to be competitive.  i do believe though, like others have said, that the actual cheaters are in the minority in the game

OLDIRTYBOMBER #16 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 04:24

Captain

• -Players-
  • 9794 battles
  • [DONKY] DONKY

View PostNunya_000, on Nov 07 2018 - 23:01, said:

Also seen here playing with stock crew and guns

Posted Image

cloudwalkr #17 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 05:02

Major

• Players
  • 54542 battles

View PostOLDIRTYBOMBER, on Nov 08 2018 - 04:24, said:

Also seen here playing with stock crew and guns

Posted Image

The little arms are killing me man...lol

minneerminneer #18 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 09:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29286 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
Tbh the most illegal mods can do is aim for you and tell you where tanks have knocked over things and are shooting from.  Nothing can make all your shots hit on snaps and nothing will increase the performance of your tank.  so all in all illegal mods won't make a horrible player good but it will make a decent player be a decent bit better.   But all the things illegal mods do you can do without with skill.

awildseaking #19 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 11:14

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 10913 battles
  • [NEET] NEET
A lot of illegal mods are hard to detect, but I see the automatic repair kit pretty regularly.

164thLeichteAfrikaDiv #20 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 13:38

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12623 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostNunya_000, on Nov 07 2018 - 23:01, said:

That is the best picture, i cannot stop laughing at the office. Thanks guys for my morning laugh. "his viewports are blocked" :teethhappy:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users