Ricochet mechanic: broken in WoT too?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

reluctanttheist #1 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 22:59

Private

• -Players-
  • 119 battles

Hi all

I'm a long-time Blitz player who communicates with other Blitz and WoT players in different locales to deal with technical issues when they arise.

EU player Minitel, who's one of the developers for the Armor Inspector app, discovered a few weeks ago that shells impacting tanks at angles equal to or less than the autobounce angle were in fact penetrating tanks, making the sidescraping tactic less useful.  We have been investigating this situation.

In my tests, a T34 could penetrate through the side of a KV-1 at angles as low as 16° - provided you hit the tracks first.  I put in a ticket to WG about the matter, and their response was that autobounce / ricochets are NOT guaranteed if you hit the tracks first, even if there's primary armor behind the tracks to allow the ricochet to happen.  If you hit the armor above the tracks, you always get ricochets.

In my opinion, if the armor is there (i.e. it's thick enough that neither the 2 calibers rule or the 3 calibers rules apply), then the ricochet should occur, regardless of whether tracks are in front of the armor or not.  Bottom line: in Blitz, if you're sidescraping, don't count on ricochets if the reds aim at your track hitbox.  That's pretty lame IMO.  I've got enough armor on the side of my KV-1 to bounce that 120mm shot, so make it bounce!

Does this same problem exist in PC WoT?

Edited by reluctanttheist, Nov 08 2018 - 23:02.

RC_1140 #2 Posted Nov 08 2018 - 23:12

Major

• Players
  • 59387 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
As far as I know, no. Although sometimes you can shoot drive wheels for damage. 

_1204_ #3 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 00:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 696 battles
Ayy I remember you! You played blitz with two styli 

MFGrant #4 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 00:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 12140 battles
  • [DVAB] DVAB
Is it possible that because it's hitting the tracks the trajectory might change on that shot making the shell actually hit the armor at a completely different angle?

reluctanttheist #5 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 03:34

Private

• -Players-
  • 119 battles

View Post_1204_, on Nov 09 2018 - 00:32, said:

Ayy I remember you! You played blitz with two styli 

LOL, yup, that was me.  I play Blitz more now using KBM and play WoT PC a bit with my family...

Hurk #6 Posted Nov 09 2018 - 03:39

Major

• Players
  • 52075 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

Wot Calculates both impacts. the shell does NOT continue in a straight line after hitting tracks. if you fire AP and it corrects 5 degrees, then the new path of travel is that corrected angle. this is not necessarily realistic, but its now the system works. 

that said, i think there is also a single ricochet chance in order to preserve the amount of work the servers do per shell fired. so what you say is entirely possible for both tracks and any other spaced armor. 

indeed, that may be why many tanks just arent as good as they should be. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users