Why is the Churchill family so bad in-game when the Churchill was historically such a successful des...

Churchill I Churchill III Churchill VII Churchill GC Black Prince

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: The Churchill line, one of WoT's problem children (72 members have cast votes)

Are any of the Churchill tanks actually playable?

1. Churchill I (23 votes [19.01%])

Percentage of vote: 19.01%

2. Churchill III (40 votes [33.06%])

Percentage of vote: 33.06%

3. Curchill VII (13 votes [10.74%])

Percentage of vote: 10.74%

4. Churchill GC (5 votes [4.13%])

Percentage of vote: 4.13%

5. Black Prince (21 votes [17.36%])

Percentage of vote: 17.36%

6. Absolutely not. (19 votes [15.70%])

Percentage of vote: 15.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Chaplain_5 #21 Posted Dec 03 2018 - 21:06

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2582 battles

It's often up to people's play style. To an extent, whatever tank you find most fun/most effective under your playstyle is the best tank for you. I mean people tell me arty is OP, arty is a noob tank, only cheap noobs play arty, etc. In fact I generally dislike playing arty and make very few credits with my SPGs. I find it incredibly frustrating for a few rare moments of reward. Odd, I guess.

That said there are some objective problems with the Churchills. What they are is disagreed upon, but there are problems. If you like the series, all well and good, you've found ways to work around the problems and take advantage of the benefits!

Cargo_Joe #22 Posted Jan 24 2019 - 19:13

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12365 battles

View PostStuG_Life_Ausf_G, on Nov 10 2018 - 10:19, said:

As the title says. Historically the Churchill was considered one of the better heavy tanks, but in-game they are just short of unplayable for the most part, and the Churchill I in particular is basically a handicap for your entire team even when fully upgraded. What gives, and what can one do to at least somehow make them work?

IT was a successful tank at what it was assigned to do; support infantry.  I have not found a lot of tank to tank action involving the Churchill.  It was successful in Tunisia against PZ III and IV tanks.  I really like the tank in the game EXCEPT that the Churchill I is unganly looking wih the hull howitzer that does not funciton AND was removed from the actual Churchill's early on.  Sad that the best Churchill is the Churchill III in the SOVIET line. Periodically you will see a Churchill III with a British or Candain flag on the side to help us remember that it was first and foremost a British tank.

pepe_trueno #23 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 06:00

Major

• Players
  • 41596 battles

View Postmworthy, on Nov 21 2018 - 19:42, said:

But what would the tier 7 heavy for the brits be if this were to occur, as much as i hate to see my BP move down a tier, personally it needs a pen buff considering its tier and it has similar pen to the IS

well there is the heavy valiant meme tank or they can go with the churchil AVRE that actualy existed be either the 290mm spigot vertion or the 300mm ardeer aggie or the 165mm L9 becouse you know WG loves adding guns on tanks that never used them or were drawings at best but wont give guns that actualy existed.

Trakks #24 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 10:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3801 battles
The Churchill was not made with the same design philosophy as the Tiger or the KV tanks. Those were designed with killing other tanks as a primary mission. The Churchill was designed as infantry support, not for fighting other tanks. 

SteelRonin #25 Posted Feb 22 2019 - 21:06

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23489 battles
  • [SAKAI] SAKAI
The Churchills were excellents HTs for all purpose except to fight tanks

Chief_OPF #26 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 02:46

Private

• Players
  • 7354 battles

Finally unlocked Caernarvon this morning. Phew that was a dreadful grind. I can deal with the crappy everything of CH/BP but what I absolutely loathed was the speed. 3 entire tiers of slow-mo. High percentage of matches I would die by arty half way to engagement and if I managed to get there (which means we are winning lol), most of the enemy is dead and I have to scrap to get a couple shots in. Super frustrating!!

With full upgrades it's a little more forgiving but the speed is the real killer for CH/BP. It'll be more "playable" if nothing else, speed was bumped up 7-10 km/h. Only way to get xp is to use premium ammo. There's just no way around this. S. Conqueror better be worth all the suffering and hoping one day it'll lead to the Chieftain. 

WaywardChild #27 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 17:19

Captain

• Players
  • 38591 battles
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
Yeah, I only liked the Church 1. You can keep the rest..... Soviet #3 is just a @#$%$#@

1lt_wert #28 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 21:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30586 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

Historically, one of the Churchill's outstanding features was it's ability to handle steep slopes. It should not loose as much speed going up hill and it should be capable of navigating steeper slopes than other tanks.

Chaplain_5 #29 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 22:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2582 battles
It had the ability to handle steep slopes going down and up, as well as gaps/other obstacles. It could handle them. That doesn't mean it was quick to do so. Other tanks couldn't handle them at all, much less quickly. ;) I've run the Churchill series up and especially down rough slopes that would be entirely impassable for other vehicles.

Rolkatsuki #30 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 23:15

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15989 battles
  • [SPCTR] SPCTR
Because WoT isn't fully a historical game but one with some arcade elements.

mworthy #31 Posted Apr 14 2019 - 00:31

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11383 battles
  • [941ST] 941ST

View PostChief_OPF, on Mar 01 2019 - 20:46, said:

Finally unlocked Caernarvon this morning. Phew that was a dreadful grind. I can deal with the crappy everything of CH/BP but what I absolutely loathed was the speed. 3 entire tiers of slow-mo. High percentage of matches I would die by arty half way to engagement and if I managed to get there (which means we are winning lol), most of the enemy is dead and I have to scrap to get a couple shots in. Super frustrating!!

With full upgrades it's a little more forgiving but the speed is the real killer for CH/BP. It'll be more "playable" if nothing else, speed was bumped up 7-10 km/h. Only way to get xp is to use premium ammo. There's just no way around this. S. Conqueror better be worth all the suffering and hoping one day it'll lead to the Chieftain. 

i'd argue the BP is decent, i liked it much better than the church 6, it really needs a pen buff though and perhaps a rof buff as well for that matter, tier 9s is generally no hope unless you get lucky, tier 8 is somewhat manageable though that depends map to map, and yes it will be worth it, i got the Conqueror, working on the tier 10, and hell its awesome, i liked the caernarvon more than my IS-3

Edited by mworthy, Apr 14 2019 - 00:35.

Exiledcrow #32 Posted Apr 14 2019 - 22:29

Major

• Players
  • 50096 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS
The Conq and Super Conq are amazing. STILL can't bring myself to grind that line, I gave up on the Churchill I and just can't make myself go back ...

mworthy #33 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 06:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11383 battles
  • [941ST] 941ST

View PostExiledcrow, on Apr 14 2019 - 16:29, said:

The Conq and Super Conq are amazing. STILL can't bring myself to grind that line, I gave up on the Churchill I and just can't make myself go back ...

whats wrong with the Church 1? its top gun is good against everything it would meet with teh exception of any heavy of the Japanese variety

Exiledcrow #34 Posted Jul 20 2019 - 19:47

Major

• Players
  • 50096 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

View Postmworthy, on Apr 24 2019 - 06:08, said:

whats wrong with the Church 1? its top gun is good against everything it would meet with teh exception of any heavy of the Japanese variety

If not top tier it's nothing but a badly armored hp pinata. Which it counters ... by being SLOW, too. 

esdren #35 Posted Jul 24 2019 - 23:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32344 battles

As I recall the churchhill was designed as an infanty support vehicle...not anti armor

Remember its a game.  Most of the vehicles you are fighting against never existed beyond a blueprint or rough prototype and those that did rarely were built in the same configuration as in game.

Also remember that WG cant model reliability and production quality into the game...

Tiger is great for its tier in game.....but was a failure irl as they could barely stay operational long enough to make a difference

Tiger 2 isnt bad in game either....but irl was another failure due to production issues and poor reliability

I_QQ_4_U #36 Posted Aug 02 2019 - 04:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 22876 battles
Because this is a game not reality.

US_3rd_Army #37 Posted Aug 02 2019 - 16:19

Major

• Players
  • 38135 battles
  • [MAD-] MAD-

I thought the Churchill I, VII, and Black Prince were all decent tanks (this opinion is based on when i played at least 2-3 years ago, so take it with a grain of salt). Might buy them back to see how well they are now with all the changes since then. so possibility this might change

Churchill III is a fun tank to play. great rof (to make up for a little damage it does per shot), and add to it it gets premium MM, and your set.

nrnstraswa #38 Posted Aug 03 2019 - 17:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16393 battles
  • [AJ] AJ
I liked the Churchill 1, even got a mark on it. Hated the Churchill 7, so I dropped the crew back into the Churchill 1. 

SteelRonin #39 Posted Aug 21 2019 - 17:55

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23489 battles
  • [SAKAI] SAKAI

Churchill tanks were succesfull in WW2 due the lack of combat versus other armored units, they succeded as infantry support in mid and low importance missions. And I believe they are balanced here in game....not OP as the soviet tanks, but they are good enough.

And, remember, we can't speak about history reference because, in that case, the german tanks would be OP, instead of the soviet tanks...

oldewolfe #40 Posted Aug 29 2019 - 14:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 23512 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

Ok, the On Track and the Church III have Convinced me to give this a Go.....       What helps is having done all of the Medium Tanks in the Tree has Unlocked nearly EVERY Module on the Church I and Church VII, and yes, even the BP has almost been Fully Unlocked Module wise.....       With the 525K Free XP I have On Hand, any Hang Ups in the Grind won't Live thru the Day, I also already have 2 Crews going in the A45 and the Caern AX, 2 Skill in the A45 and 3 Skills in the Caern AX....

Took 10 Battles to completely get thru the Church I with all the Muppet Teams at that Tier....      Used the Caern AX Crew here because the Church VII Crew is an Exact Match to the A45 Cree along with the BP....      The Church wasn't at all too Bad if you Angle it some, I started with the 3" Howitzer for 2 Battles to get the Turret and Tracks Unlocked, that got the Cromwell's 75mm HV Gun Mounted....     I didn't NEED to grind the Engine now, but I did because I'd still have to on the Church VII anyway, hardly notice the Speed Difference at all, Forward, Reverse, or Traversing.....      

Unlocked the Church VII and Swapped the Crew over and Won the First Battle, but it wasn't looking well at all so after that I Unlocked the Remaining 2 Modules. Turret and Tracks.....      Now I have the 77mm Comet Gun on here and will be Grinding the remaining 42K XP fir the BP....       The Cost for the last 2 Modules was so Minimal anyway, I figured why not......

So far I think if you Mind Where you're going and What may be waiting when you get there, it does OK.....     Now, I will say since I Topped Out the Church I my Tier 5 Battles disappeared Completely and I DID Abuse the 2 Key a Little, but at 15 Million Plus in Credits I figured I'd see how it did....      And Yes, the 75mm works Great on the Cromwell atvTier 6, and it does here too....     But the Cromwell can Move around and Pick it's Fights, the Church's can't do that so the 2 Key will be your New Best Friend.....     Don't expect to make a Load of Credits Driving them, it won't Happen, but they will do OK when the Chips fall their way....

Back to the Grind, 42K won't Grind itself, and I have Plans to get thru the BP and Caern hopefully by the End of the Weekend....       Plus, I hear tell the next On Track is the Badger and the AT's are also on my List, but I'll be picking that Line Up at the AT7 after the Church GC...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users