How do you play the T54E1 ?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

gen_penguin #1 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 03:33

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10132 battles

OMG, what a piece of %$# tank ... as slow as a heavy,  zero armor, slow shells, %$# pen, longest aim time in the world and worst gun handling over all of any tank i have ever played !!

I have a 5% survival rate in this tank ... how do you play this tank ? I bounce half my shots and cant pen anything unless I am shooting tier 7's

cloudwalkr #2 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 03:45

Major

• Players
  • 54530 battles
Yeah, I remember that one being expensive to grind.  Make sure you're carrying enough premium ammo to have your best chance to pen heavy armored stuff.  Always have a buddy next to you and focus on keeping those around you alive.  

scharnhorst310 #3 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 03:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 24444 battles
Definitely a very interesting tank. Absolutely have to have some prem rounds. Since it doesn't have the pen, I used it more as slow medium because you need to get to locations where you can fight against less armored tanks, and where possible get side shots on the enemy. The plus side of the tank is that you can clip out tier 8s. 

Dirizon #4 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 03:49

Major

• Players
  • 27352 battles

Make sure the tank is elite. Needs every module.  You can get help on it, by playing other tech trees too. As other tanks unlock some of its gear.  (Engine)

Make sure you have Core skills. BlArms, 6th sense / safe stowage / snapshot / smooth ride. Should be on your 3rd skill, Repairs. 

Vents, GLD, Vert stab. purchase rental camo.  T54E has bad gun stats, need the best possible control. Can't afford food though, because of high burn rate engine. lt won't allow a rammer.

Use all APCR, and when you fight tier 7s and SPGs, have 2 magazines of AP. The tank is not bad then.

Insanefriend #5 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 03:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39490 battles
The tank is just fine with ap rounds, I ground through it last time the t57 was on track.  I don't think I shot more then 40 prem rounds total, and that was mostly after I ran out of ap rounds.  The trick is don't go for heavy tanks unless you have their sides, go for the soft squishy tanks and eat them.

dominator_98 #6 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 04:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 20204 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

View PostInsanefriend, on Nov 10 2018 - 20:52, said:

The tank is just fine with ap rounds, I ground through it last time the t57 was on track.  I don't think I shot more then 40 prem rounds total, and that was mostly after I ran out of ap rounds.  The trick is don't go for heavy tanks unless you have their sides, go for the soft squishy tanks and eat them.

That's all well and good as long as you're okay with losing games because you can't pen the lower plate of an E75 when you can't get around him. With gun handling that bad, you need all the pen you can get. Bouncing one shell can ruin your clip potential and leave a tank alive to kill your allies, so you need all the help you can get.

OP, if you want to do well and enjoy the tank, play it as a second-line support tank and shoot nothing but gold. You need the gold because you can't hit weakspots. Get used to spamming gold with the T57 as well.

NiteDog #7 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 04:13

Major

• Players
  • 27531 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
Support and damage/kill "wounded" enemy tanks, sides of damaged tanks are priority 1. It's slow, so avoid getting to far forward and having to retreat behind cover. AP is just fine, but like always, carry a sufficient amount of premium rounds.Definitely, BIA, 6th sense. Smooth ride and Repairs. "Elite" status, like Dirizon says, is important, along with all the modules unlocked.

Insanefriend #8 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 04:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39490 battles

View Postdominator_98, on Nov 10 2018 - 21:07, said:

That's all well and good as long as you're okay with losing games because you can't pen the lower plate of an E75 when you can't get around him. With gun handling that bad, you need all the pen you can get. Bouncing one shell can ruin your clip potential and leave a tank alive to kill your allies, so you need all the help you can get.

The premium rounds only give you a slightly better chance of penning a e75's lower plate assuming he's angling at all. The better question is why are you trying to brawl a e75 in a medium tank.

dominator_98 #9 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 04:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 20204 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

View PostInsanefriend, on Nov 10 2018 - 21:27, said:

The premium rounds only give you a slightly better chance of penning a e75's lower plate assuming he's angling at all. The better question is why are you trying to brawl a e75 in a medium tank.

Because sometimes that's what winds up in front of you and you have to kill it. In theory it would be great to just be able to shoot at light tanks and paper TD's all day, but that's just not possible in a slow tank that can't relocate like the T54E1. You can't selectively pick and choose your targets in the middle of a pub match. I'd rather shoot gold at a light tank than bounce the standard rounds I had loaded for the light against the side of a ST-I that decided to cross in front of my gun.

Joe150 #10 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 04:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 24365 battles
  • [A-O-G] A-O-G
I like mine even though I don't play it much because it requires patience and quite a bit of thinking ahead of the tank if that makes any sense.I think the first battle I aced it with a high caliber and top gun lol.I just slow play it meduim style when I do play it with a full premium load out.Food premium ammo and a 4 skill crew .

Edited by Joe150, Nov 11 2018 - 04:54.

read_these_nikes #11 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 04:59

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16234 battles
i did ok in mine but mine was a HEAT 54E1

Firemoth #12 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 05:44

Major

• Players
  • 37007 battles

1) find lightly armoured tank

2) wait until they shoot

3) dump your clip into them

4) repeat

itsJylerTAG #13 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 05:55

Captain

• Players
  • 7715 battles

When i had it on the alt account before i had them merged a long time ago, i played it as an aggressive flanker. Knowing your reload time, how much damage your clip will potentially do and timing your positioning will play a big role which i mean fits in with any tank but this will greatly aid you in playing the T54E1 well. In fact the T54E1 and the tank before it (T60 i think?) were my two favorite in that entire line. Flank and get their sides or rear, unload the clip then retreat until you are done reloading. Another good way to play it is supporting your heavies and holding off the enemy while they reload since you will be matched with tier 10's most of the time and some of them have quite lengthy reloads which the enemy will take advantage of unless there is an autoloader ready to unload in their face. 

Always carry 1 to 2 clips worth of premium rounds, the rest of it should be AP.

D_Jackson531 #14 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 06:32

Sergeant

• Players
  • 55354 battles
  • [ROGER] ROGER

I recall my days in the T54E1 with annoyance, but it *is* possible to play it successfully.  Like most autoloaders, it is a support tank -but in this case one that prefers to prey on squishy tanks - mediums, lights, poorly armored TDs.  It does not like to fight alone, like most mediums, but to even more of an extreme.  It tends to be at its most successful as a platooning tank, working with a better armored ally who can tank shots or distract for you so you can clip down bad guys.  
A T54E1 left to it's own devices can be very dangerous.  It has a very quick reload for it's clip size - not quite Czech quick but close enough.  And if you a re willing to shoot Premium rounds you are a threat to all but the best armored tanks.  I tended to run mine with a Premium heavy loadout (~40% regular, 60% premium) so I could shoot regular rounds in a T9 game but have the premium rounds to help me deal with super-heavy T10 tanks.  

This replay is older - about three years old - but it is the last match I played in mine before getting the T57 Heavy.  It's a T9 game on the Fjords map - yes, that map, which is possibly even more cursed now than it was then!  I play ranged support at first, but end up in an awkward position...which ends up being the right place at the right time.  Most of the fun is over after 5 minutes.  

In a slightly more typical game, demonstrating just how powerful this tank is when it gets consistent side shots.  This spot is difficult to get to in a fast light, I still am not sure how a sluggish T54E1 got here... but the results are devastating.  

One last one.  While you are following my ST-I, my 'toon mate Magpi is in his T54E1 using me as a meat shield while we crush all comers on Stalingrad.  You can kinda see him working around me as we move around the battlefield.  

I hope you find these examples of gameplay useful.  

atila_xD #15 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 06:33

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7126 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
its possibly the most underwelming HEAVIUM at tier 9, the only way to successfully play this is a 100% support tank, wait for fire and dump and perma track, use that good american intra clip to ur advantage, and pray they dont hit u if they look at u xD

KampfyKouch #16 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 09:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14398 battles
  • [NEET] NEET
It certainly needs to be changed to a heavy tank considering it only weighs the same as the T57 with the same P/W ratio as well as the same size overall. Where does all that weight go if not the armor? Give the T54E1 the heavy designation, add 20mm to the entire front face of the tank, give it the 120mm T179 that the T57 has with 34 second reload and 2.5 intraclip reload. There, your T54E1 is fixed.

JONDIESATTHEEND #17 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 10:57

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9505 battles

View Postgen_penguin, on Nov 11 2018 - 03:33, said:

OMG, what a piece of %$# tank ... as slow as a heavy,  zero armor, slow shells, %$# pen, longest aim time in the world and worst gun handling over all of any tank i have ever played !!

I have a 5% survival rate in this tank ... how do you play this tank ? I bounce half my shots and cant pen anything unless I am shooting tier 7'  

My question is why does the top engine only give you 10 more horse power? Same weight, same chance of fire. That is barely over 1% more power for 25,000 experience. 

FluffyFox #18 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 17:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4257 battles
  • [-TOF-] -TOF-

View PostJONDIESATTHEEND, on Nov 11 2018 - 02:57, said:

My question is why does the top engine only give you 10 more horse power? Same weight, same chance of fire. That is barely over 1% more power for 25,000 experience. 

That was my single biggest issue with the tank when I still had it. I could not for the life of me figure out why an extra TEN horsepower is "worth" 25k experience. The chance of fire doesn't go down, nor does the weight. It's just 10 H.P. Wow.

Also yeah the rest of the tank just sucked, way too slow for something with that little armor and the gun was terrible. Only reason I have it researched is because back when the T49 was a tier 8 and it led to the T54E1 I just played the T49 so much I eventually unlocked it.

gen_penguin #19 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 17:18

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10132 battles

View PostDirizon, on Nov 11 2018 - 03:49, said:

Make sure the tank is elite. Needs every module.  You can get help on it, by playing other tech trees too. As other tanks unlock some of its gear.  (Engine)

Make sure you have Core skills. BlArms, 6th sense / safe stowage / snapshot / smooth ride. Should be on your 3rd skill, Repairs. 

Vents, GLD, Vert stab. purchase rental camo.  T54E has bad gun stats, need the best possible control. Can't afford food though, because of high burn rate engine. lt won't allow a rammer.

Use all APCR, and when you fight tier 7s and SPGs, have 2 magazines of AP. The tank is not bad then.

I free xp to get the tank fully upgraded and I have a very good crew that are working on their 4th skill.

I am just having such a hard time staying alive with a 30 sec reload and having no armor.  I guess I will start have to be much less aggressive with this tank

gen_penguin #20 Posted Nov 11 2018 - 17:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10132 battles

View PostKampfyKouch, on Nov 11 2018 - 09:19, said:

It certainly needs to be changed to a heavy tank considering it only weighs the same as the T57 with the same P/W ratio as well as the same size overall. Where does all that weight go if not the armor? Give the T54E1 the heavy designation, add 20mm to the entire front face of the tank, give it the 120mm T179 that the T57 has with 34 second reload and 2.5 intraclip reload. There, your T54E1 is fixed.

Thats a great idea .... makes no sense at all why its a medium tank !!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users