• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #1 Posted Nov 13 2018 - 23:02

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 14825 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Tankers,

You might be aware that Grand Battles have been opened up to Tier VIII this week only! 

This is an event we're trying out to get an idea of player sentiment around Grand Battles at this tier, and as a bonus it should give folks a shot at getting some single-tier battles more frequently in this Matchmaking tier.

We'd love to hear your impressions, comments, critiques, suggestions etc. so please share them with us below!

YANKEE137 #2 Posted Nov 13 2018 - 23:06

Major

• -Players-
  • 13974 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Have tried them yet. Don't rush me.

Scorpiany #3 Posted Nov 13 2018 - 23:11

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 36971 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA
​Reserved, I'll update this post later with my feedback.

pickpocket293 #4 Posted Nov 13 2018 - 23:17

Captain

• -Players-
  • 34846 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
Can't get in. If they're on the same maps as before they'll be just as campy though.

_Tsavo_ #5 Posted Nov 13 2018 - 23:20

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46189 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE
It would be awfully nice to choose to enter a grand battle rather than have it entirely up to chance.   Just sayin'

ThePigSheFlies #6 Posted Nov 13 2018 - 23:23

Major

• Players
  • 75542 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostDomoSapien, on Nov 13 2018 - 17:02, said:

We'd love to hear your impressions, comments, critiques, suggestions etc. so please share them with us below!

My main issue with the concept, is that there is no rhyme or reason when you get a grand battle.  Rather than a pleasant surprise, it's all too often when you're in a tank that you weren't planning or wanting a grand battle in.  One might not have the time for a massive/long running battle.  One might not want to be the slow stupor heavy to be a pinata for SPGs and bush camped TDs (and camping mediums).

I played TONS of these on common test at tier 10 when it was basically all that was being tested, and enjoyed them in fast movers well enough, or even when testing TDs I've never had on my own account.

I turned them off on my live account because quite frankly being 1 vs 29 is bad enough in a regular battle, but being 1 vs 59, at tier 10, as a surprise just isn't enjoyable...

so, let's extrapolate this to tier 8.  now, we have a tier where one is forced to get murdered by tier 9s and 10s while one's own allied tiers 9 and 10 underperform, for who knows how many battles, and then to get surprised by a rare grand battle?

for as long as you'll allow, I'll pass...  and if you take away the ability to do so, I'll just play odd numbered tiers even more - or log off...

I love big maps, but switching back and forth from a grand battle sized map, to then getting Ensk, Ruinberg, Paris, and Himmels is just triggering...

thandiflight #7 Posted Nov 13 2018 - 23:32

Major

• Players
  • 86765 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
More tier VIIIs allocated to Grand Battles -> fewer tier VIIIs in standard battles -> more likely to be bottom tier in standard battles due to 3/5/7 MM pressure for tier IX/X with occasional "holiday" in Grand Battles and less likely to ever be top tier. Was this progression considered by WG? Have they adjusted MM?

rsssmoore #8 Posted Nov 13 2018 - 23:33

Private

• Players
  • 22131 battles
  • [EROS] EROS
I think its fantastic. Much like frontline...only better. IMO you should keep this option open all the time...thumbs up Wargaming. Finally a place to get a fair fight all the time with me beloved tier 8 tanks. A MM nightmare right now. You are on to something here.

StoveBolt54 #9 Posted Nov 13 2018 - 23:54

Captain

• -Players-
  • 30245 battles

Tsavo and ThePigSheFlies make good points.

I'll not be checking the box to enter Grand Battles.

I am unfamiliar with the maps having only been in one battle at tier 10.

I do hope y'all that do enter Grand Battle's give WG good feedback.

My hope is that it could be a game mode that we could choose to enter.

__WarChild__ #10 Posted Nov 14 2018 - 00:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 32482 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

View Post_Tsavo_, on Nov 13 2018 - 16:20, said:

It would be awfully nice to choose to enter a grand battle rather than have it entirely up to chance.   Just sayin'

^^^^ This.

I've played in one today and I would not have chosen the tank that I did if I'd known I'd be dealing with 30 enemy tanks.  More predictability would be my only suggestion.  Other than that, it's all good!

BillDing1 #11 Posted Nov 14 2018 - 01:22

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7828 battles

I feel like most people (me included) wanted/expected more of an event like front-line where you queue up for an only tier 8 game and what we got was grand battles in the normal tier 8 queue. Nothing really wrong with it just not exciting in any way. For me personally I thought front-line was a boring camp fest game mode but I still played it for the cool rewards and the excuse to play all my tier 8 prems. With grand battles its just adding another game mode to the queue and now I feel like I'm forced to play it because if I don't there will be no tier 8s left to put in regular all tier 8 games. :confused: I't makes me want to play tier 8 less with the game mode. Even if the game modes are trash like front-line I'd rather see allot more limited time special tier 8 game modes rather then trying to put in grand battles to fix tier 8 mm. Make the game mode its own queue and make it for a limited time... then bring back front-line and maybe try the super old rampage game modes out with tier 8 tanks? I feel like having the grand battles all the time makes most players turn them off because it gets boring because the game mode is campy. Imo having multiple game modes like ranked, front-line, and tank football is the way to go and keep the random queue how it is. 

Sorry my post is rambley and kinda makes no sense I'm to lazy to try and fix it

Edited by BillDing1, Nov 14 2018 - 01:24.

MachoGrande56 #12 Posted Nov 14 2018 - 01:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 27840 battles
  • [DEVON] DEVON
I had hoped that I could have opt in for only Grand battles. I'm not going play tier 8 hoping I might get a grand battle. I never play tier 8 in randoms. NEVER.

Kingpinnn #13 Posted Nov 14 2018 - 02:26

Private

• -Players-
  • 20885 battles

Long story in short, Frontline is much better. Frontline has better efficiency in exp and credit grinding and makes more fun.

coltrain12000 #14 Posted Nov 14 2018 - 02:42

Private

• Players
  • 9739 battles
  • [BDCO] BDCO
like frontline more but glad to see them trying something like this tier 8 needs work badly as we mainly end up in tier 10 games and get wrecked this is a great step but its not the end step for this issue   but good job on trying  also game mode is a lot of fun at this tier i just don't know the maps yet 

Harvester_0f_Sorrow #15 Posted Nov 14 2018 - 03:04

Captain

• Players
  • 28680 battles
  • [BOND] BOND

wth, you cant even select a grand battle??? It is only by chance??? That is the stupidest thing I ever heard/ well maybe not but pretty stupid.

It already feels like mm is rigged and chances are it will only happen when I don't want it too. LOVELY!!!!

YANKEE137 #16 Posted Nov 14 2018 - 03:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 13974 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Fun enough, I give it 3/5.  Like the guys above, if I'd known I was getting it I would have had a different tank choice.

Gwennifer #17 Posted Nov 14 2018 - 04:23

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 10177 battles
  • [DOGGO] DOGGO

1) I don't like the winter map. Even with a ~70kmh speed limit (and hitting it) it felt like it took way too long to navigate the map. It's not a problem of the distances, but the number of obstacles in preventing movement as shown by my testing of removed map Dragon Ridge. There's very little interaction between flanks and the gameplay is very stale: HT's trading in Northwest, hulldown heroes and associates all go middle, and then TD's cover Southeast and it's generally hard to move between flanks. It just feels like a bigger version of Abbey.

I haven't played the summer map yet in a tier 8 tank, but I don't remember having any problems with it except that soft cover was very scarce.

2) The economics don't make sense. I've played it twice already as LT-432. On the first run, I performed about average for my team (we all did terribly). I did 849 damage and earnt 20k gross. With the 10.75k repairs, 3k repair consumable, and 1.7k cost of ammo, I only made 4.5k profit, which is no more than a tier 3~5 premium on an average game.

On the second run, I did very well, placing 6th overall on a team of 24 tanks and 2nd for damage at 2607. Not a single shot was from more than 300 meters and about 2000 of that damage was from farming a single platoon--a STA-2 had gotten stuck in an inaccessible location and his platoonmate rushed me to stop me from just farming STA-2. My team focused the platoonmate and I finished farming STA-2. So, I wasn't losing the bulk of my credits to spots and assists, as I was less than 100m from these tanks and the only spotter.

Despite this incredible amount of damage, I only earnt 54,600 net. Given the 11500 repair, 3750 cost of ammo, and 3000 consumable, I only took home a 36k profit--barely more than a normal, average win, despite the battle lasting much longer!

I can see experience being adjusted to account for the much higher number of tanks, but not silver. It doesn't make sense to drop earning potential so long as costs remain fixed. It's not like ammo suddenly costs less or my shells suddenly do more damage just because it's tier 8 only--in fact--there's less profit to be made as there's no uptiering bonus for damaging tier 9's and 10's.

Speaking of experience, I personally don't like how the team performance factor so greatly stretches the minimum vs maximum experience gain. Players who contribute little or nothing on the losing team still earn the normal game exp of 70~150 experience but have their tanks locked for the 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, players who do little to nothing on the winning team make 300-500 experience despite contributing the same--no spotting damage, one penetrating hit of 300~400 damage.

Meanwhile, top performers get an easy 1000 exp for what would just be 700 in a normal game. I don't know what can be done about it as the relative differences are the same in normal games, but the amount that can be farmed in Grand Battles means the absolute differences are huge. It can be very discouraging to, say, run a booster and then have your tank locked for a third of it just because you landed in Grand Battles twice and earning a grand total of 400 experience.

3) I personally run on a large monitor and don't feel it was necessary to squeeze the entire 24 players into a tiny postage stamp of icons side lists. Rather than having an informed idea of who is in what tank and whether they're alive or dead, it was so compact it was virtually impossible to tell anything apart at a glance.

Colonel_Coyote #18 Posted Nov 14 2018 - 05:14

Private

• -Players-
  • 11355 battles
  • [WC-SA] WC-SA

I enjoyed the opportunity to playing GRAND BATTLE maps.  I do hope it will become a regular feature of the game. Played it yesterday a few times and 4 times today.  Great feature.

NutrientibusMeaGallus #19 Posted Nov 14 2018 - 05:32

Major

• Players
  • 22674 battles
  • [FILOX] FILOX
  Horribly toxic and not worth bothering with. Make them regular maps and be done with it.

Edited by NutrientibusMeaGallus, Nov 14 2018 - 05:33.

RECON_RANGER #20 Posted Nov 14 2018 - 06:44

Major

• Players
  • 40572 battles

View Post_Tsavo_, on Nov 13 2018 - 23:20, said:

AGREED!!!!!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users