Karelia assault (attack)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

WakaWaka67 #1 Posted Nov 15 2018 - 09:25

Private

• -Players-
  • 7189 battles

Ok, let me first make this clear, Ive started playing this game in July this year so I am a noob and dont mind being called one..

I really try to contribute, I play many tier 3, 4 and 5 battles to improve my skills.  I have a Churchill III to help learn basic skills, read alot about best practices, etc, etc, but some scenarios I just dont know how to handle or what to do.

So, I click the red button to start my battle and we get allocated Karelia with an assault match and we are the attacking team.  I have a VK 36.01 (h) heavy tank (doing that line, and am working towards the Tiger).  My tank is fully upgraded, I have a 100% trained crew but they are working on BIA at about 86%, no other skills or perks yet.

We only have two heavies, me (tier 6) and a Lowe (tier 8)... I spawn on the northern side and the Lowe south.  As the battle start I realise Im in trouble because most medium tanks can kill me quickly and I need to be carefull.  So I start the climb up the hill (because thats where Heavies go and we need to control the corners).  The Lowe similarly climbs the southern hill.  A cromwell is with me and rushes and highlights the enemy at the top of the hill..

My question:  how to best approach this scenario... I died fairly quickly and we lost the match, but next time this happen I actually dont know how to handle the situation differently

Edited by WhyEvenB, Nov 15 2018 - 10:36.

JollyGrim #2 Posted Nov 15 2018 - 10:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 33431 battles

Can you post a link to the replay?

(can upload replays to wotreplays.com if you have no idea what I'm talking about)

WakaWaka67 #3 Posted Nov 15 2018 - 10:33

Private

• -Players-
  • 7189 battles
Sorry, I just saw my client needed to be reset and I now only have the last battle replay (which was not the one mentioned)

Scorpiany #4 Posted Nov 15 2018 - 10:43

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 34381 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostWhyEvenB, on Nov 15 2018 - 01:33, said:

Sorry, I just saw my client needed to be reset and I now only have the last battle replay (which was not the one mentioned)

For future situations, make sure replays are set to "All Battles", so we always can see how the battle progressed. It's hard to imagine the battle scenario without actually seeing it.

That being said, if you're ever looking to figure out how to approach certain battle situations, you can always Platoon up with me at any time - Just send me a message in-game, and I'll join you and can show you how I approach my battles, and explain why I react to the battle the way I do.

You can also join my Discord server (link is in my signature), and I'll give you the "Needs Training" tag. That way I'll remember to Platoon up with you every now and then to help you out.

As far as the VK 36.01H goes, I think of it as one of the most capable tanks at Tier 6 when you use the 75mm Waffe cannon.

Edited by Scorpiany, Nov 15 2018 - 10:47.

WakaWaka67 #5 Posted Nov 15 2018 - 10:56

Private

• -Players-
  • 7189 battles
Thanks for the invitation, I will do so...  and I can imagine it being difficult to understand the battle without the replay, that's why I tried to explain it as detailed as possible.  After playing the battle I thought that maybe instead of trying to attack from the northern side on my own in a tank that is not going to do it (with my skillset), I should have gone south to support the Lowe, but we only had 1 or two other guys (the Cromwell being one) going north.  So the main question is, if you are faced with an situation where clearly you actually is just going to die, is it then rather better to leave that flank unattended and go with other tanks (that can help you, and that you can support), or do I find a hiding spot up the hill and try and secure that side hoping that the southern side draws most of the attention.  I find Karelia on attack to be one of the more difficult scenarios, and it would be interesting to see what the win / loss percentage of the attacking vs defending side on this map is.

Captain_Rownd #6 Posted Nov 15 2018 - 11:41

Captain

• -Players-
  • 2767 battles
I don't prefer attack or defense on that one - they're both hard, since the mode forces you to play it in certain ways.  You might as well go with the side that looks like it has a better chance of pushing. 

Captain_Obvious65 #7 Posted Nov 15 2018 - 12:42

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9828 battles
  • [M-I-T] M-I-T

Well, as an aside: If you are still in the learning mode as you say. I would not go up the German heavy line. They are trickier to play. US or Soviet heavies will serve you better at this point. German armor is not that good in game. 

As to your scenario: 1st: If you are a bottom tier heavy in a 3/5/7, you are better off playing it as a medium. Even the top tier lights have guns that can pen you pretty easily. When attacking that really sucks. I would actually relocate and get behind the Lowe as a support tank.

2nd: If you are defending, find good hard cover, support the higher tier tanks on your side and play peek-a-boom. On defense, do not got out far if you are bottom tier heavy. Let the higher tier lTs and MTs do that. That is their job. (Hopefully they know that.)

My two copper coins.

UnturnedLeaf #8 Posted Nov 15 2018 - 13:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 25073 battles

View PostWhyEvenB, on Nov 15 2018 - 02:25, said:

Ok, let me first make this clear, Ive started playing this game in July this year so I am a noob and dont mind being called one..

I really try to contribute, I play many tier 3, 4 and 5 battles to improve my skills.  I have a Churchill III to help learn basic skills, read alot about best practices, etc, etc, but some scenarios I just dont know how to handle or what to do.

So, I click the red button to start my battle and we get allocated Karelia with an assault match and we are the attacking team.  I have a VK 36.01 (h) heavy tank (doing that line, and am working towards the Tiger).  My tank is fully upgraded, I have a 100% trained crew but they are working on BIA at about 86%, no other skills or perks yet.

We only have two heavies, me (tier 6) and a Lowe (tier 8)... I spawn on the northern side and the Lowe south.  As the battle start I realise Im in trouble because most medium tanks can kill me quickly and I need to be carefull.  So I start the climb up the hill (because thats where Heavies go and we need to control the corners).  The Lowe similarly climbs the southern hill.  A cromwell is with me and rushes and highlights the enemy at the top of the hill..

My question:  how to best approach this scenario... I died fairly quickly and we lost the match, but next time this happen I actually dont know how to handle the situation differently

it might be helpful to fully understand the difference between skills and perks. it took me a very long time to grasp it myself so i hope i can save you a crap ton of aggravation and costs.

i bring this up because you mention no skills except 86% BIA. Perks...including BIA are not effective at ALL until all crew are fully 100% trained in BIA. 

Skills are effective from the very minute they're activated. Perks are not effective until they are fully 100%. repeating here for emphasis. note that you can reset skills to perks and vice versa. therefore train up SKILLS FIRST and enjoy their benefits immediately. convert to perks later. 

YANKEE137 #9 Posted Nov 15 2018 - 15:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 10893 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
For attackers, assault on Karelia is a really tough mode, second only to assault on Empire's Border.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users