Do you like the new premium tank philosophy?

Good Or Better Than Tier

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: Powerful Premiums (78 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

Are limited sales premium tanks with better than tech tree stats good for the game?

1. Yes! I pay good money for my premiums so they better not suck or be power creeped in a year! (37 votes [47.44%])

Percentage of vote: 47.44%

2. No! Why should someone with a job and expendable income have a better life than me? UNFAIR! (19 votes [24.36%])

Percentage of vote: 24.36%

3. Bacon. Because you know the best premium tank that could ever be sold would be the Bacon Tank! (22 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

Vote Hide poll

TheManFromKekistan #1 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 02:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

Seems wargaming has decided that limited sale premium tanks will now be the same or better performing than tech tree. As someone who pays to play the game to support the masses who do not pay I think that being able to enjoy a powerful premium tank is perfectly fine as long as its not ridiculously overpowered and so far even the vaunted defender is only somewhat better than tech tree and not the unstoppable wall of death some forumites like to make threads about. This new lt-432 is more of the same. So are they gameplay killers soaking up all the damage and kills or just another reason to whinge about how unfair the game is to those with no money to spend on games?

Discuss! :B

Edited by TheManFromKekistan, Nov 16 2018 - 03:00.

Isola_di_Fano #2 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 03:05

Major

• Players
  • 24367 battles

Pay to win is never a good thing.

And, no, I am NOT a free to play player.

Can't vote, poll biased as expected.

_Steel_Casket_ #3 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 03:09

Captain

• Players
  • 87706 battles
  • [T_U_C] T_U_C
Not going to vote as I have stopped spending money on this game 4 yrs ago when it started going downhill an became nothing more than a cash grab.

TheManFromKekistan #4 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 03:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View PostIsola_di_Fano, on Nov 15 2018 - 21:05, said:

Pay to win is never a good thing.

And, no, I am NOT a free to play player.

Can't vote, poll biased as expected.

But is it really pay to win? You might get a bit higher win rates with the good premiums over bad tech tree tanks but its only a matter of single percents over time. No premium yet put into the game can get you unlimited wins because no matter how awesome the tank the mm along with rng and your own team will drag you down into horrible losses time after time. For a premium to truly be pay to win would be to perform so good that even the good players would cry foul because it would let taters effortlessly kill them even in their good tech tree tanks. So no I don't think these somewhat better than tech tree prems are pay to win. If anything you are paying to keep powercreep from retiring it the next time wg brings a new line of tanks into the game. Even the vaunted defender dies in a fire when someone who is bad at tanks plays it and even guds get smashed in the defender because when its not top tier its just another cannon fodder tier 8 for the 9's and 10's to collect.

dominator_98 #5 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 03:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 22904 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY

View PostTheManFromKekistan, on Nov 15 2018 - 20:15, said:

But is it really pay to win? You might get a bit higher win rates with the good premiums over bad tech tree tanks but its only a matter of single percents over time. No premium yet put into the game can get you unlimited wins because no matter how awesome the tank the mm along with rng and your own team will drag you down into horrible losses time after time. For a premium to truly be pay to win would be to perform so good that even the good players would cry foul because it would let taters effortlessly kill them even in their good tech tree tanks. So no I don't think these somewhat better than tech tree prems are pay to win. If anything you are paying to keep powercreep from retiring it the next time wg brings a new line of tanks into the game. Even the vaunted defender dies in a fire when someone who is bad at tanks plays it and even guds get smashed in the defender because when its not top tier its just another cannon fodder tier 8 for the 9's and 10's to collect.

No. For a premium tank to be truly pay to win, it would have to be better than its tech tree counterpart, thus making it easier to win by playing the better($$$) tank.

The Firefly VC is pay-to-win even though it's not that good because it's straight-up better than the version free players get. I could make an entire list of premiums better than tech tree versions, but that's not the point. The point is that paying money earns you a superior vehicle, which helps you win more.

I would even argue that premium accounts and free xp conversion are pay to win mechanics.

- Prem accounts let players shoot more gold. More gold = more damage = more wins.

- Free xp conversion lets players skip stock grinds and terrible tanks, therefore they are on average playing better tanks than someone who doesn't convert free xp.

Almost all free to play games have elements of P2W. It's just a question of how much P2W you're okay with.

Cerbium #6 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 04:00

Captain

• Players
  • 19370 battles
NO to P2W

WeSayNotToday #7 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 05:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23097 battles

Premium account user here, and premium tank buyer.

I do enjoy good tanks, and tanks I mesh well with, even OP tanks.

"OP tanks for moneys" is bad for the game.  Making the free-to-play players feel worse about their chances of success in the game is not the way to go.

I know the sentiments of "git guud or go away"  and "get a job, slacker" are popular around here, but such is no way to continue to grow a free-to-play game or to keep that game healthy.

The free-to-play players are part of the community, and they keep the queues full [when we are not driving them away], and they provide teammates, opponents, and challenge.

OP tanks for money only is like kicking sand in their face, and we expect them to stay..... LoL.

The new medium tank with the light tank designation, speed and camo is more of this....

*********************************************************************************

I understand that the time for limited matchmaking premium tanks is gone as far as WG is concerned.  It was a good idea that provided real benefit for WG [cash] and the players.  Now, WG is trying to correct, or modernize, this earlier phase of premium tanks.

The new premium tanks should be as good as tech tree tanks, not markedly better, unless free-to-play players can somehow earn them as well, premium account players should just get them earlier or much faster.

Or, you could just keep kicking sand in the faces of free-to-play players, hoping they will stay, and steady stream of them  continues to enlist....

Did vote, as close to my rationale as possible, biased poll is biased.

Edited by WeSayNotToday, Nov 16 2018 - 05:13.

_ShakeNBake_ #8 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 05:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14180 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

View Postdominator_98, on Nov 15 2018 - 19:48, said:

No. For a premium tank to be truly pay to win, it would have to be better than its tech tree counterpart, thus making it easier to win by playing the better($$$) tank.

The Firefly VC is pay-to-win even though it's not that good because it's straight-up better than the version free players get. I could make an entire list of premiums better than tech tree versions, but that's not the point. The point is that paying money earns you a superior vehicle, which helps you win more.

I would even argue that premium accounts and free xp conversion are pay to win mechanics.

- Prem accounts let players shoot more gold. More gold = more damage = more wins.

- Free xp conversion lets players skip stock grinds and terrible tanks, therefore they are on average playing better tanks than someone who doesn't convert free xp.

Almost all free to play games have elements of P2W. It's just a question of how much P2W you're okay with.

+1

Pay to win (a little) is part of free to play games.

WoT is still pretty far away from true PAY TO WIN!!! Imagine if you could buy respawns. Or if premium account gave all your shells +50% damage and pen.

TheManFromKekistan #9 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 05:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View PostWeSayNotToday, on Nov 15 2018 - 23:11, said:

Did vote, as close to my rationale as possible, biased poll is biased.

Poll isn't biased as its yes no bacon format is the typical setup and you are allowed to post to make your more detailed views about the topic known. The bits after the yes no bacon are purely for entertainment.

View Post_ShakeNBake_, on Nov 15 2018 - 23:13, said:

+1

Pay to win (a little) is part of free to play games.

WoT is still pretty far away from true PAY TO WIN!!! Imagine if you could buy respawns. Or if premium account gave all your shells +50% damage and pen.

Exactly. A little pay to win drives more sales(which keeps the game free you dummies) but since this isn't a one vs one format game and its more like 1vs14vs15 the fact your premium tank has slightly better overall stats than the better tech tree tanks gets washed out in the swirl of rng and wildly differing player skill and just plain ole chaos when 30 strangers meet to fight. 

Edited by TheManFromKekistan, Nov 16 2018 - 05:48.

docroberts #10 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 06:02

Captain

• Players
  • 19389 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR
I expect my tanks to preform as good as the tech tree . Ive picked up way to many preem tanks that I wouldn't want to give to a dog . Been disappointed with most of them and wont bother getting anymore because of it . As far as the game is concerned otherwise , sales keep the lights on . If you cant generate money then the doors will close and improvement's will never be made . Lots of upkeep and overhead people have to think about .. 

decoRyder #11 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 06:07

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13036 battles
P2W is just a fact of life, be it this game or many other 'free (cough) to play' games. If I were WG, I would do exactly the same thing, but cut down on the large, frivolous helpings from the 'stupid pie', e.g. "We need to get rid od pref. MM tanks because they break MM", or "Buy this exclusive Mutant tank, which will never be sold again!"

WeSayNotToday #12 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 06:12

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23097 battles

View PostTheManFromKekistan, on Nov 16 2018 - 05:48, said:

Exactly. A little pay to win drives more sales(which keeps the game free you dummies) but since this isn't a one vs one format game and its more like 1vs14vs15 the fact your premium tank has slightly better overall stats than the better tech tree tanks gets washed out in the swirl of rng and wildly differing player skill and just plain ole chaos when 30 strangers meet to fight. 

Keep telling yourself that.  Then avail yourself of the available statistics.  A premium tank being somewhat overpowered vs average is like a player winning somewhat more than average....  you know what you would rather have, and what gives advantage. 

Block Quote

Poll isn't biased as its yes no bacon format is the typical setup and you are allowed to post to make your more detailed views about the topic known. The bits after the yes no bacon are purely for entertainment.

Your style makes the poll seem biased...., "contrary views are not welcome here."

Also, post from your main.

TheseViolentDelights #13 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 06:12

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14421 battles

Premiums should be functionally identical to the tech tree versions (KV-2 R) or way different but not superior (M56 Scorpion).

Frankly, they should just let us buy premium versions of any tank we've elited.

TheManFromKekistan #14 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 06:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View PostWeSayNotToday, on Nov 16 2018 - 00:12, said:

Keep telling yourself that.  Then avail yourself of the available statistics.  A premium tank being somewhat overpowered vs average is like a player winning somewhat more than average....  you know what you would rather have, and what gives advantage. 

Your style makes the poll seem biased...., "contrary views are not welcome here."

Well of course you would want the better tank that's the entire point of premium tanks under the new wg model duh. They initially had pref mm tanks that were slightly to way worse than tech tree and that was fine at the time due to the way the mm worked and the lack of power creep. Then as time went by the old pref mm tanks simply couldn't compete with the new mm and introduction of so many more powerful tech tree tanks so wg started making premiums a bit more powerful than tech tree to drive up interest. The degree of how much better isn't enough to make any of them even the defender a guaranteed win for anyone. Sure you will win a tiny bit more over time but driving one isn't going to protect you from blowouts and bad rng and all the other factors that make for a loss. You could be driving your defender and be getting 5k damage and 7 kills each match and still lose every single one of them because your team melted around you and left you to get overrun.

As to the style the bits after the actual vote were to trigger certain types into replying. Thanks for cooperating! Obviously it seems contrary views are perfectly welcome here because selecting no still leaves you to express your opinion! See how tolerant and diverse I am! I make a poll for everyone! :)

jamesdoz #15 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 07:03

Major

• Players
  • 39060 battles
  • [AMOX] AMOX
idk, what do you think the % is of free to play verse the people that keep the lights on, I would say 50-50, with the state of the NA server probly 3 payers for every 2 free to play, I do think with what WG charges for premium tanks they should be as good if not a bit better then Tech tree tanks, $50 for a tank, IT better be as good if not slightly better then Tech tree, at least as far as cost goes,

jamesdoz #16 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 07:05

Major

• Players
  • 39060 battles
  • [AMOX] AMOX

View PostTheManFromKekistan, on Nov 16 2018 - 00:32, said:

Well of course you would want the better tank that's the entire point of premium tanks under the new wg model duh. They initially had pref mm tanks that were slightly to way worse than tech tree and that was fine at the time due to the way the mm worked and the lack of power creep. Then as time went by the old pref mm tanks simply couldn't compete with the new mm and introduction of so many more powerful tech tree tanks so wg started making premiums a bit more powerful than tech tree to drive up interest. The degree of how much better isn't enough to make any of them even the defender a guaranteed win for anyone. Sure you will win a tiny bit more over time but driving one isn't going to protect you from blowouts and bad rng and all the other factors that make for a loss. You could be driving your defender and be getting 5k damage and 7 kills each match and still lose every single one of them because your team melted around you and left you to get overrun.

As to the style the bits after the actual vote were to trigger certain types into replying. Thanks for cooperating! Obviously it seems contrary views are perfectly welcome here because selecting no still leaves you to express your opinion! See how tolerant and diverse I am! I make a poll for everyone! :)

the preff mm tanks when they came out yes they were worse but we did not have Gold spam, as it cost Gold, and remeber this is before Power creep, I mean sure we had a bit but no were near what it is today so preff MM tanks were not bad at all,

silic0nes0ul #17 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 07:21

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 26424 battles
  • [TEACH] TEACH

The Elder Scrolls Online is my favorite game from the sales technique stand point. I wanted to (and did) support this game with $ even if I would not get any additional benefits.

I'll try to explain how it should be with WoT based on ESO experience.

You can support the game by going premium ( in WoT is more xp and credits), also being premium should give you some gold every month as a thank you (500-1000 a month should be enough). You can collect that gold and use it for in game goods.

But the biggest chunk of revenue should come mainly from aesthetics, like the KV2 ® and DBR G1 skins (without modifying the tank specs), special camo and so on. People nowadays will pay a lot just to look different.

It would be fine to sell premium tanks only if they could be purchased with gold from the in game store as well (at this point only part of them are).

This way everybody has an equal opportunity to get them (money or effort).

Exceptions are the Tournament or Clan War Tanks that should be given to the best clan war leaders (I don't have one yet) :P

I, personally, never spend money on tanks since I'm against Pay2Win. I did support the game buying premium acc though.

docroberts #18 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 18:31

Captain

• Players
  • 19389 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR

View Postjamesdoz, on Nov 16 2018 - 00:03, said:

idk, what do you think the % is of free to play verse the people that keep the lights on, I would say 50-50, with the state of the NA server probly 3 payers for every 2 free to play, I do think with what WG charges for premium tanks they should be as good if not a bit better then Tech tree tanks, $50 for a tank, IT better be as good if not slightly better then Tech tree, at least as far as cost goes,

I remember when we had players . We in the NA spent more per capita than the EU . But now as it sits , it's a far cry from what it once was . 

ThePigSheFlies #19 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 18:36

Major

• Players
  • 73013 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

I pay when I am entertained.

I haven't been entertained in a long time.  The maps are awful.  Especially the rotation.

Trauglodyte #20 Posted Nov 16 2018 - 18:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 22513 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

I honestly don't care.  I mean, Hell, I own the Jagdtiger 88, which is NOT better than the Jagdtiger, and I own the Panther 88 which isn't even as good as the just Panther or Panther/M10, let alone the Panther II.  The truth is that nobody should care about slightly over tuned tier 8 premium tanks in a game where tier 8 continuously gets crapped on by tier 9 and tier 10 matchmaking games.  IF, and that is a big statement, WarGaming can ever get the matchmaker fixed, then they're going to have to look at the tier 8 premium tanks because they're clearly overtuned and, as such, will end up crapping on tier 6 and tier 7 games.

Does it make me happy tha the M4 49 is a French Tiger II that is better than the Tiger II?  God no!  But, I can handle an M4 49 in my Tiger II and both tanks get crapped on by 430Us, 277s, IS-7s, 5A, 60 TPs, Super Conquerors, etc.

Also tagged with Good, Or, Better, Than, Tier

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users