Stug IV - Mission MT15 Tips?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

RommelcaustRadio #1 Posted Nov 17 2018 - 06:44

Private

• -Players-
  • 3597 battles
  • [NZI] NZI
Finally unlocked the final mission for Mediums and I'm having a phenomenally hard time trying to deal with it. Minimum requirement is "Kill 2 TDs" and honors is "Kill 2 TDs, Damage 3 other Vehicles and Win".
Since I don't believe in just asking for vague help, let me explain some of the trouble I'm having with the mission.
First off, there's a major issue in even finding the damn things, even with strategic maps or helpful pings getting close enough to actually deal with a TD seems to be rare due to the speed of my average medium tank. Primarily I play a thunderbolt, M4 Howitzer and a Matilda. Seeing as the third is so slow it's unlikely it'll even make it to the enemy side of the map before the match is over we can count it out. So the fastest option is the thunderbolt, which is relatively bad at staying undetected.
Another problem is that if you do manage to kill one TD, there's a tremendously high chance that upon finding another even if you yolo the thing someone else in your team will steal that killing blow. Artillery is notorious for this. I have no idea how to approach this issue because I feel like asking others not to just take a fair shot and enjoy the game is [edited].
Finally there's the issue of actually being able to bring one down reliably without a howitzer. HEAT or close range HE is optimal in my experience but if MM makes you the 6 fighting a TD 9 then even goldspam doesn't seem to be particularly helpful.

Any help would be appreciated, you can PM me in game if you want as well. Honestly I just want to unlock the female crewmember, this mission set is the closest I've gotten to seeing really anything in WoT through so it'd be nice to finish.

Edited by RommelcaustRadio, Nov 17 2018 - 06:52.

Rocker_Box #2 Posted Nov 17 2018 - 07:36

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6121 battles

I've completed it's requirements a few times with my M4 derp. So when it rolled on to the mission list, I knew it was just a matter of time.

Admittedly my M4 has a pretty good crew for hunting TD's, with a almost maxed out view range to find those sneaky buggers.  I'm pretty sure if you play your M4 long enough the mission completion will just "happen", at least that was my experience with MT15. 

Girl I got from the mission is slotted to go into my M4 as a commander when I bump it's crew up into the T20.

Enjoy the girls they are just great!

Edited by Rocker_Box, Nov 17 2018 - 07:38.

Merc_Scar #3 Posted Nov 17 2018 - 08:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16234 battles

In my experiance I'd recommend picking up the VK 3002 M, I used it and complete MT missions relatively easy, here are a few of my reasons.

1) The 75mm L/70 has high penetration, you can hurt most things you see, even if you're fighting up the ladder, only hard nut tanks will give you any trouble. The gun is also accurate for sniping, so you can lay back and cut down the enemy as they appear.

2) The VK being effectively a Panther D, shows itself to be quite mobile, you can move around the map relatively freely, and with some good grace, get on the flanks of the enemy and get them into a panic from flanking shots.

3) Being tier 6 yes you will be fighting up the ladder and be facing big guns. But, when you get top tier, depending on the compossition of the enemy team, you might very well be leading pushes, and ultimately being the guy to leaves the enemy wondering where their flank just went.

That third point is one of the bigger ones when you think to couple in the other two, you will pen anything with your standard shells, and only have to worry about three top tier enemies, and even then your only real threat will be an O-I, but that's why you carry a small rack of APCR.

With equipment and good crew, you can get this tank looking far and have a respectable RoF, enough that if a TD fires at you, You'll probably spot him if he isn't double bushing, then return fire faster than what he can, the only thing to remain keenly aware of is your armor won't stand up for long. Also as far ss consumables go, I'd recommend large ones, and chocolate over a FE, I haven't had an engine fire in anything for a long time.

But perhaps the worst thing about this mission, that you don't want to hear is, it just takes time to find the game where everything goes just right.

Leader_H #4 Posted Nov 17 2018 - 08:05

Captain

• Players
  • 20251 battles
  • [11A_D] 11A_D

Spam battles in tier 5 medium tanks like T-34 M4 PzIVH you get there very quickly. Your targets are abundant and your DPM relative to tier is absurd, you can mow down very quickly those low HP TDs like tier 4s and T67.

Being passive doesn't increase your odds of success. Since you don't really lose credits playing those tanks and survival is not required, you might as well be a little more aggressive.

LostMyMarbles #5 Posted Nov 17 2018 - 09:15

Captain

• Players
  • 46556 battles
  • [SG] SG

View PostRommelcaustRadio, on Nov 16 2018 - 21:44, said:

Finally unlocked the final mission for Mediums and I'm having a phenomenally hard time trying to deal with it. Minimum requirement is "Kill 2 TDs" and honors is "Kill 2 TDs, Damage 3 other Vehicles and Win".
Since I don't believe in just asking for vague help, let me explain some of the trouble I'm having with the mission.
First off, there's a major issue in even finding the damn things, even with strategic maps or helpful pings getting close enough to actually deal with a TD seems to be rare due to the speed of my average medium tank. Primarily I play a thunderbolt, M4 Howitzer and a Matilda. Seeing as the third is so slow it's unlikely it'll even make it to the enemy side of the map before the match is over we can count it out. So the fastest option is the thunderbolt, which is relatively bad at staying undetected.
Another problem is that if you do manage to kill one TD, there's a tremendously high chance that upon finding another even if you yolo the thing someone else in your team will steal that killing blow. Artillery is notorious for this. I have no idea how to approach this issue because I feel like asking others not to just take a fair shot and enjoy the game is [edited].
Finally there's the issue of actually being able to bring one down reliably without a howitzer. HEAT or close range HE is optimal in my experience but if MM makes you the 6 fighting a TD 9 then even goldspam doesn't seem to be particularly helpful.

Any help would be appreciated, you can PM me in game if you want as well. Honestly I just want to unlock the female crewmember, this mission set is the closest I've gotten to seeing really anything in WoT through so it'd be nice to finish.

when i completed mine i was in the matilda  but that was before they brought the 3/5/7 mm  

also find some one to help you even though you have to solo it  it does help they track you kill

good luck

Scubasteve_04 #6 Posted Nov 22 2018 - 02:58

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4706 battles

View PostMerc_Scar, on Nov 17 2018 - 01:04, said:

In my experiance I'd recommend picking up the VK 3002 M, I used it and complete MT missions relatively easy, here are a few of my reasons.

1) The 75mm L/70 has high penetration, you can hurt most things you see, even if you're fighting up the ladder, only hard nut tanks will give you any trouble. The gun is also accurate for sniping, so you can lay back and cut down the enemy as they appear.

2) The VK being effectively a Panther D, shows itself to be quite mobile, you can move around the map relatively freely, and with some good grace, get on the flanks of the enemy and get them into a panic from flanking shots.

3) Being tier 6 yes you will be fighting up the ladder and be facing big guns. But, when you get top tier, depending on the compossition of the enemy team, you might very well be leading pushes, and ultimately being the guy to leaves the enemy wondering where their flank just went.

That third point is one of the bigger ones when you think to couple in the other two, you will pen anything with your standard shells, and only have to worry about three top tier enemies, and even then your only real threat will be an O-I, but that's why you carry a small rack of APCR.

With equipment and good crew, you can get this tank looking far and have a respectable RoF, enough that if a TD fires at you, You'll probably spot him if he isn't double bushing, then return fire faster than what he can, the only thing to remain keenly aware of is your armor won't stand up for long. Also as far ss consumables go, I'd recommend large ones, and chocolate over a FE, I haven't had an engine fire in anything for a long time.

But perhaps the worst thing about this mission, that you don't want to hear is, it just takes time to find the game where everything goes just right.

I have tried over 50 games to finish MT-15 in the 30.02m. Its almost exclusively fighting in tier 8 matches and doesn't pack enough punch to guarantee kills reliably. Its extremely frustrating. I always get TDs to like 10% hp then someone else snags the kill. I am getting Radley Walter medals in this thing but 2 TD kills seems simply out of reach. I am only seeing on average 3 TDs per match, and having to score kill credit on 66% of the opposing TDs with 14 other greens shooting at them seems almost impossible.

On a side note the armor for the 30.02m is not bad. It can hulldown and sidescrape guns under 90mm. It has one of the higher frontal armor values for a tier 6, but it is no jumbo.

WaywardChild #7 Posted Nov 22 2018 - 16:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33577 battles
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_

Yup, I agree with the VK usage, mobile with good gun. I liked the A-43 and the AMX 12t is also a viable option. Pick your matches and hunt the T67's and their slow turning turrets (hehehe). A-43 with the 57mm gun best choice IMHO. Be patient and pounce like a hungry Pallas. T-34 with 57mm not bad choice either AND T5.

Edited by WaywardChild, Nov 22 2018 - 16:24.

StrachwitzPzGraf #8 Posted Nov 23 2018 - 18:13

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 37993 battles
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO

All good advice on the tanks -- the other is -- patience.  I set the missions up (two campaigns now) and just "let them happen".  You may not even have 2 TDs in a game -- much less be the one to nail them both. 

Play your MED tanks a lot -- look for those games where you are;

Top/mid tier AND

there's like 5-6 TDs on the opposition side.

So - situational awareness.

RommelcaustRadio #9 Posted Dec 08 2018 - 15:03

Private

• -Players-
  • 3597 battles
  • [NZI] NZI

Still haven't managed to get it. It's always around 2 TDs on the enemy team and on average I can only hunt 1 down before the round ends.

This is about the best kind of match I end up getting during these attempts.
It's nice to pull relatively high endplates but I really can't stand this mission.

Edited by RommelcaustRadio, Dec 08 2018 - 15:04.

Rocker_Box #10 Posted Dec 08 2018 - 22:37

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6121 battles

View PostRommelcaustRadio, on Dec 08 2018 - 15:03, said:

Still haven't managed to get it. It's always around 2 TDs on the enemy team and on average I can only hunt 1 down before the round ends.

This is about the best kind of match I end up getting during these attempts.
It's nice to pull relatively high endplates but I really can't stand this mission.

Bummer... I hope I don't run into the same problem when I return to the mission to try to complete it with honors.  I forgot to bring my "carry pants" the last time MT15 was on my mission list. I'm still trying to improve my MT12 and MT14 results, before me and my M4 start running it again!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users