o-i japanese heavy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Chaplain_5 #1 Posted Nov 17 2018 - 17:58

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2626 battles

Hey all!

My younger brother and I have been playing the O-I for a while now. Got it painted in a nice red no less! We finally grinded up to the top gun, that big 15 cm derp. We've done okay at best, lackluster at worst. Basically we're struggling to play it because of atrocious gun handling, every shot has to be perfect because that derp takes an eternity to reload. But, in our humble opinion, the stock gun, though it reloads faster, doesn't do enough damage to be worth it. The tank is also insanely slow and lacks armor sloping.

We want to play this tank better. It's an impressive vehicle, apparently popular from what I've heard. Does anyone have ideas?

Also, further note: we'd been playing it as very much a front-line brawler. Short-range urban fighting, that sort of thing. Is this bad?

Edited by Chaplain_5, Nov 17 2018 - 17:58.

goldfinger_555 #2 Posted Nov 17 2018 - 19:16

Captain

• Players
  • 27509 battles
  • [FFWC] FFWC
Lately I've been playing more of a 2nd line with the derp guns. I find I can still hit most targets if I pre-aim and than I'm far enough back to reload. When on the front line, I would fire once and than get overwhelmed cause they knew I could never reload fast enough. Did this with the O-I and the other derps too.

_Steel_Casket_ #3 Posted Nov 17 2018 - 20:32

Captain

• Players
  • 88869 battles
  • [T_U_C] T_U_C
Well lately what I have seen is you'd wanna sit behind or next to the arty all game, and wait for the enemy to come to you after the rest of your team has evaporated.  

Silversound #4 Posted Nov 17 2018 - 20:33

Major

• Players
  • 39365 battles
  • [-P-] -P-

Chap, you're still very new to the game and driving a big squishy target.

I think any issues you are having is more due to lack of map knowledge than the vehicle.

Big slow tanks need to go to their strongest positions immediately, or they just spend time driving about getting shot.

Play the Russian medium line for a few thousand battles and learn the game's ins and outs.

I fear you may simply be an HP piñata for better players driving around in that huge target.

The_Boz #5 Posted Nov 17 2018 - 20:41

Captain

• Players
  • 9705 battles

View PostSilversound, on Nov 17 2018 - 11:33, said:

I fear you may simply be an HP piñata for better players driving around in that huge target.

Yes, just like the TOG, you will be a HP meat-stick others will take advantage of...

Baron_Von_Krieg #6 Posted Nov 17 2018 - 20:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24890 battles
  • [ARIET] ARIET
I would try to make sure you have friends with you when you engage the enemy . They help keep the bum's rush off of you while you reload . 

Chaplain_5 #7 Posted Nov 17 2018 - 21:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2626 battles

Well, I have been playing for a little while, but there's obviously a lot I can learn. It seems I should take the O-I to the second or rear lines and derp them from a distance? Sounds sensible, will take more effort to aim, but certainly doable. Thanks for the ideas, guys!

@goldfinger yes that's exactly what would happen, we'd try to brawl but then get overwhelmed after the first shot.

*realizes that I only have 566 battles and y'all have thousands

Oh, heh heh. Yes, it's no lie that I just don't play often. I'm more accustomed to playing german TD's than these heavies.

Also for the lolz of it my brother and I (I mean he's 9 for crying out loud and he's creaming enemy tanks on a regular basis) like to drive the tank two-man: I drive and he aims and shoots and tells me where to go. Hilarity ensues. If y'ever get banjaxed by a red O-I, that's probably the two of us. :justwait::rolleyes:

Silversound #8 Posted Nov 17 2018 - 21:16

Major

• Players
  • 39365 battles
  • [-P-] -P-

View PostChaplain_5, on Nov 17 2018 - 12:12, said:

Also for the lolz of it my brother and I (I mean he's 9 for crying out loud and he's creaming enemy tanks on a regular basis) like to drive the tank two-man: I drive and he aims and shoots and tells me where to go. Hilarity ensues. If y'ever get banjaxed by a red O-I, that's probably the two of us. :justwait::rolleyes:

That sounds like a lot of fun.

I only got a big sister. She don't tank.

I actually prototyped a game in UNITY that is pretty much just what you described.
WoT with two players per tank.

I admit to giving up on the idea when I started working on the net code.

Just too much work for one person.

But I love the idea.

RC_1140 #9 Posted Nov 17 2018 - 21:32

Major

• Players
  • 64378 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS

1. Against higher tier tanks your armor won't mean much so just try not to get hit if you can (poke when they reload)

2. Angle a little vs same or lower tier tanks but not too much

3. Go to the menu where you add ammo and consumables then click on the AP shell, it should come up with the HEAT and HE shells. Click the HE shell so it is the primary ammo. You want to mostly shoot HE since the AP and HEAT have bad pen. There are time you may want them but shoot mostly HE (idk if you do that already but figured I'd mention it since you're new)

Chaplain_5 #10 Posted Nov 18 2018 - 23:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2626 battles

@Silversound: Yeah, it is a lot of fun! :)

@FixerRC_1140: Hey, this sounds like it could work. I almost never do HE shells, only on low tier TD's against lights. My reasoning was that the high damage of HE wasn't worth the lower pen. Looks like it might be wise to do HE more regularly? I'm going to try that from now on.

Edited by Chaplain_5, Nov 18 2018 - 23:27.

Also tagged with o-i, japanese heavy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users