★ Thanksgiving Discounts! A quick review & rating of every tank on sale ★

Review Premium Tanks Discounts Thanksgiving Sales Guide Overview The Scorpions Den Scorpiany Worth it?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

24cups #21 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 14:23

Major

• Players
  • 24500 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
Thanks Scorp !
I was going to ask about the T-54 ltwt vs T-44-100 but you covered it all here.
Great job.

sector7ge #22 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 14:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23651 battles
great job Scorpiany! thanks for the info!

rockbutcher #23 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 15:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 22602 battles
  • [-OPS-] -OPS-
Great job Scorp.  I would like to add that I find the HT-VI to be as good a money maker as my Scorpion-G.

zhymm #24 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 15:48

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 37478 battles
  • [TTP] TTP

Wow! Just wow!  A definite +1.  Scorp, thanks for your hard work on putting this together so quickly.  With the 7 day window to purchase any of these one has time to ponder which (if any) to pick up.  Your post goes a long way towards whittling down the list. 

The Krup-Steyr WT at only $11.99 looks particularly attractive to me (its play-style is right in my wheelhouse).  But it's Tier VII and I already have the M56 Scorpion (which is one tank I just love to play), so it seems like a duplication of effort.  And I have a bunch of tanks I rarely play due to some niggling issue (like slow speed that the K-R WT suffers).  That gives me pause.

Everything else I might consider is north of $30 in price and considering my dissatisfaction with the current state of the game I'm not ready to drop much cash into WG's coffers.

Thanks again for the time and effort you've put into this post.

OMZ

makalu2k6 #25 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 16:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 68567 battles
  • [CHKRA] CHKRA
Thank you Scorp. Nicely done.

_Juris #26 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 17:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19135 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS

View PostScorpiany, on Nov 19 2018 - 23:20, said:

T26E4 Super Pershing:  (7.0/10 -> 8.5/10)

The penetration values are actually quite good for a preferential MM tier 8 (AP is quite workable, APCR is excellent given that it never sees tier 10s), and after the buff the armor holds up pretty well.  Especially at the listed price, I think this is one of the best options available.

T34: (5.5/10 -> 4.0/10)

I agree with your do not buy rating, but the turret armor isn't that good given that tier 9s and 10s can penetrate the turret cheeks and roof without too much difficulty, the hull armor is cheese, and the gun handling is terribad (it's like the T30 with the 155mm, only without the 155mm).

T92 (Light Tank):  (8.0/10 -> 6.5/10)

Agree that it has upsides (view range and gun handling) but otherwise this is a really hard tank to recommend (even at the lower price) for anyone except highly skilled players and light tank enthusiasts.  The alpha is terrible, the reload is comparatively long given the alpha, and if you get a corridor map as bottom tier (which you'll get a lot) there's really nothing this tank can do except hope that the enemy heavies are incompetent.  I think it's the worst of all the tier 8 premium light tanks, and there's basically no situation where I wouldn't rather have one of the others.

Jg.Tig 8,8cm:  (7.5/10 -> 6.0/10)

It's better than it used to be, but still not good enough and not worth the money.  Alpha is very low for a tier 8 TD, and your armor (other than the casemate top) won't hold up even against tier 8 heavies firing AP, let alone anything else.  An assault gun casemate TD without alpha or armor just isn't very useful.

Panther 8,8cm:  (2.0/10 -> 4.0/10)

It's bad, and I wouldn't buy it if dollars are at all scarce.  But I guess if you wanted a tier 8 tank to put your dank E50M crew into for tier 8 strongholds and don't have anything else to do with the money, it's not totally indefensible.

59-Patton:  (6.5/10 -> 7.5/10)

I think it's under-rated, a better pick as a ridgeline fighter than the M46 or Mutz, and on-par with the STA-2 (which is, in my opinion, the best of the tier 8 mediums that will be on sale).  The turret is reasonably bouncy, the cupola can be managed by not sitting still, the dispersion values are excellent, and the AP round is noticeably better than almost all the other tier 8 mediums.

AMX CDC:  (2.0/10 -> 0.0/10)

Powercrept into oblivion, gets penned by everything including HE, gun handling is absolute garbage.  It's like a Panther 8,8 that can't even bounce tier 2 rounds and can't aim.  Don't buy this unless you're Warren Buffet, enjoy tanks that are only viable in tier 8 Strongholds, and enjoy your own pain and suffering

STA-2:  (7.0/10 -> 8.0/10)

Of the tier 8 mediums currently on sale, I would buy this or the 59-Patton.  The 59-Patton has a better turret, view range, and dispersion stats.  The STA-2 gets slightly better gun depression and the best HEAT round of any of the premium tier 8 mediums, which can make a difference on corridor maps.  I guess I mostly don't disagree with what you said, but i'd give this a stronger buy recommendation than you would.

Very nice write-up.  The few places I disagreed enough to matter i've explained above.

Edited by _Juris, Nov 20 2018 - 17:17.

olavski #27 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 17:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22970 battles
  • [TFZK] TFZK
Excellent stuff, thanks.

maddogatc #28 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 17:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32183 battles
Don,t forget the Somua SM. Currently on sale 15% off. Supposed to be a pretty good heavy French tank. Better than the AMX 50/100 in almost every way except speed.

Peak_Bagger #29 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 18:01

Captain

• -Players-
  • 19825 battles
  • [-T1B-] -T1B-
This is a spectacular write-up! Thanks very much for doing this, Scorpiany! I was going to take a pass on all of these but you now have me re-considering the Waffentrager (for training) and WZ 120 (for fun and profit!).

sleeper_agent #30 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 19:02

Major

• -Players-
  • 29883 battles

Thanks Scorpiany

I am debating the T-44-100 and your review of it was helpful.

Vampiresbane #31 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 20:10

Captain

• Players
  • 29999 battles
  • [MEDIC] MEDIC

Overall I agree with the OP, but some thoughts I figured I'd highlight from my playing experience.  I also rate premium tanks more on their training potential than earning potential.  If you want credit income, imo, you play a Lowe, WZ-111-1G-FT, or a Super Pershing.

M56 Scorpion - I bought this and recommend buying this for one reason, training an American TD crew.  There's only one other training tank for US tds and it's a reward tank so this is really your only option.  While this can be a fun tank with an absolute great gun when you're stationary, the bloom is REAL when moving the turret or the tank.  Also everyone and their mother can and will ram you to death.  Same score, just adding some information.

WZ-111/112 - I would actually recommend these heavily to anyone that needs a Chinese Heavy training tank, likes pref mm tanks, and is not afraid to spam premium rounds.  I use almost exclusively HEAT on both tanks.  The AP just isn't realiable enough or have enough penetration to deal with the Defenders of the world or tier 9's, of which you'll see plenty of.  AP is generally fine for tier 6's and 7's, but if you're trying to carry? Load the premium excessively.  But I do love both tanks.  8/10

M4 Rev - If you need a French medium trainer and you're good at glass cannon tanks, this thing is a dream.  Its dpm isn't great, armor isn't fantastic, mobility is less than terrific, but the gun just absolutely sings.  390 alpha at tier 8 in a medium with laser like accuracy AND great velocity.  Even at great distances, you can almost get away with right clicking/left clicking enemies and killing them.  This is a really, really fun tank.  The premium rounds just won't impress anyone because firing 250 mm Heat isn't going to kill many Maus/E100/etc.  8/10

Skoda t40 - For some reason, this tank and me just click.  Again though, don't be afraid to use premium rounds.  It's the only Czech trainer available and it's decent.  I tend to run food on mine to boost view range and fire plenty of premium ammo for those tier 7's and 8's you're going to see more often than not.  It's more of a 6/10 for me.

Parting thought - make sure you're buying tanks that are ONLY available in the shop.  If you really enjoy and play this game a lot, eventually you may have gold to buy tanks that are for sale for gold in the tech tree, but don't use real money to buy these if you can help it (Sta-2, Strv, etc to name a few).  You can get gold from tournaments, CW, and other sources.  Save that gold for things that are "free" so you can save your dollars for stuff that isn't.

DrWho_ #32 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 20:13

Major

• -Players-
  • 25158 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostScorpiany, on Nov 20 2018 - 05:20, said:

Holy hell this took seemingly eternity to write out. I really hope this is helpful for some of y'all. It better be! :P

Thx for taking the time mate, you probably saved me some money as I've now more or less decided not to buy anything

omi5cron #33 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 22:49

Major

• Players
  • 23628 battles
thanks and good work as always.seeing that i have so many tanks,i was hesitant on buying ANY even on sale,but the t44-100 might be  my next purchase...going to grab the Magic 8 Ball for final decision!

FrontenacDuVandoo #34 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 23:09

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16926 battles
  • [BBI2] BBI2

Nice write up, thank you.

But I feel compelled to comment a big "wat" on the claim that the M56 Scorpion has a limited gun arc.

It has 60 degrees of gun arc, 30 degrees on each side. That's pretty much as large as it gets for turretless TDs.

Edited by FrontenacDuVandoo, Nov 20 2018 - 23:13.

Scorpiany #35 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 23:13

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 36994 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View Postrockbutcher, on Nov 20 2018 - 06:11, said:

Great job Scorp.  I would like to add that I find the HT-VI to be as good a money maker as my Scorpion-G.

The HT No. VI is definitely a decent credit maker for Tier 6, but it's not going to come anywhere close to a Tier 8 Premium tank. If you're making similar credits to a Skorpion G, that indicates that you're doing really well in your HT No. VI while playing it aggressively, and doing not-so-well with the Skorpion G while playing it more passively. Distance matters, and if you're not self-spotting, then you get less XP and Credits than you would if you're spotting enemy tanks with your own vision.

View Postzhymm, on Nov 20 2018 - 06:48, said:

Wow! Just wow!  A definite +1.  Scorp, thanks for your hard work on putting this together so quickly.  With the 7 day window to purchase any of these one has time to ponder which (if any) to pick up.  Your post goes a long way towards whittling down the list. 

The Krup-Steyr WT at only $11.99 looks particularly attractive to me (its play-style is right in my wheelhouse).  But it's Tier VII and I already have the M56 Scorpion (which is one tank I just love to play), so it seems like a duplication of effort.  And I have a bunch of tanks I rarely play due to some niggling issue (like slow speed that the K-R WT suffers).  That gives me pause.

Everything else I might consider is north of $30 in price and considering my dissatisfaction with the current state of the game I'm not ready to drop much cash into WG's coffers.

Thanks again for the time and effort you've put into this post.

OMZ

I found the Krup Steyr WT to be sufficiently different from the M56 Scorpion. M56 feels a lot better suited for ridgelines and sneakier TD play, whereas the Krup Steyr feels more versatile, with being to fight with mediums if needed thanks to the turret, and having the more reliable gun that takes less time to aim and re-aim, which is also very useful if you ever take it closer to an enemy tank.

View Post_Juris, on Nov 20 2018 - 08:11, said:

Very nice write-up.  The few places I disagreed enough to matter i've explained above.

Very interesting to hear your feedback. Seems like none of the differences were too drastic, but a few quick passing mentions:

T34: I had originally given it a 4/10 rating as you mentioned above, but someone on Reddit convinced me otherwise; arguing that while the T34 is lacking in other areas, there isn't a Tier 8 Premium that directly beats the T34 at its own role - Dishing out large chunks of damage from a ridgeline. While I still believe T34 to be a less-than-desirable tank, and Lowe to be the better tank, it does make sense to me - Especially if you're only worried about making credits. That extra alpha damage and penetration isn't something you see on a tank that can hull-down like the T34, even if there are several tanks that can come close to it. Thus, I bumped the score up a bit to 5.5/10.

JgTig 8,8cm: I mostly agree with you there actually. I found that a lot of people really enjoy it because despite the very low caliber gun, it provides a unique, fun side of gameplay (when it works). Good profitability on top of that is always important for a Premium, so while it's definitely not something I would prefer (because as you said, it's an assault TD that can't really attack; WZ-120-1G FT can do that job so much better than the Jg in many ways), it's still going to be a lot of players may still find worthwhile.

Panther 8,8cm: I'll copy this from one of my responses on Reddit, since I think it describes my sentiment towards the tank for any circumstance, random battles or Strongholds:

The Panther 8,8cm would actually be fairly decent if it weren't for a couple major issues. On paper, it's reasonably mobile, has good view range, decent enough gun depression, good gun handling, good DPM... But that's on paper.

The gripe I have with the tank is the gun. 203 AP pen is very low for a regular-MM tank, especially one with 240 alpha. However, combine that with the 2.5 second base aiming time (A very poor value to see on a 240 alpha gun), and 0.13 gun handling on turret traverse (Fairly poor value for turret gun handling), and the gun just... Doesn't work. It takes far too long to aim and re-aim onto the target, often times just to bounce off because it lacks the penetration to deal with the threat.

The other issue is that it's a large tank with very little effective armor. Sure, it's not as bad as something like a CDC in that regard, but a CDC is much, much faster of a tank.

So what you're left with, is a large, unarmored tank that only has average mobility at best, and has a very lackluster gun. The worst thing is that even if you enjoyed the regular Panther and Panther II, you're still unlikely to want to play the Panther 8,8cm. It's just... Disappointing. Hence, why I steer people away from it. Almost always I see people who buy it just disappointed, or regretting their purchase. The tank looks pretty good on paper, but in reality, it's lacking in a lot of different ways.

59-Patton / STA-2: I definitely see why some people would give them stronger buy recommendations, I'm trying to be very careful to not over-recommend or under-recommend tanks that other people may love / dislike, even if I personally have some different preferences with the tanks. STA-2 and 59-Patton fall into that category, I found them to be great Premiums, especially with the gun handling, but their relative slower speed compared to some medium tanks, especially when we have tanks like the T-44-100 in the game, feels like I can't give them anything more than just a "good" recommendation.

View Postmaddogatc, on Nov 20 2018 - 08:51, said:

Don,t forget the Somua SM. Currently on sale 15% off. Supposed to be a pretty good heavy French tank. Better than the AMX 50/100 in almost every way except speed.

I checked all over the Premium shop, I don't see the Somua SM on sale anywhere. Maybe it's just a regional thing for you, or an account-specific sale?

Scorpiany #36 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 23:14

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 36994 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostFrontenacDuVandoo, on Nov 20 2018 - 14:09, said:

Nice write up, thank you.

But I feel compelled to comment a big "wat" on the claim that the M56 Scorpion has a limited gun arc.

It has 60 degrees of gun arc, 30 degrees on each side. That's pretty much as large as it gets for turretless TDs.

Also it has 219 of penetration, it's the best of all tier VII TDs.

Limited as in, not a turret. The gun has limits, 30 degrees to either side. Krup Steyr WT has a fully traversable turret, so I still have to mention the Scorpion's gun arc as a downside, even if not a major one. There's only so much I can write and explain in a mini-review without it being so miniature anymore, right? :)

Edited by Scorpiany, Nov 20 2018 - 23:15.

MountainLion1 #37 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 23:37

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24931 battles
  • [TMBPK] TMBPK
I wish I had this tank review before I purchased my premium tanks, I could of saved some money.

FrontenacDuVandoo #38 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 23:38

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16926 battles
  • [BBI2] BBI2

View PostScorpiany, on Nov 20 2018 - 18:14, said:

Limited as in, not a turret. The gun has limits, 30 degrees to either side. Krup Steyr WT has a fully traversable turret, so I still have to mention the Scorpion's gun arc as a downside, even if not a major one. There's only so much I can write and explain in a mini-review without it being so miniature anymore, right? :)

Ok, but then you should have just said that it's a turretless TD.

Quick comparison of the gun arc within the ones that are on the list:

Scorpion - 30

WZ-120-1-FT - 10

Dicker Max - 8

S1 - 0 [siege mode]

When you're used to play these kind of tanks the gun arc of the Scorpion is a big pro.

edit - The S1 has no gun arc, I originally listed the gun depression.

Edited by FrontenacDuVandoo, Nov 21 2018 - 00:15.

Scorpiany #39 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 23:50

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 36994 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostFrontenacDuVandoo, on Nov 20 2018 - 14:38, said:

Ok, but then you should have just said that it's a turretless TD.

Quick comparison of the gun arc within the ones that are on the list:

Scorpion - 30

S1 - 11

WZ-120-1-FT - 10

Dicker Max - 8

When you're used to play these kind of tanks the gun arc of the Scorpion is a big pro.

I'll consider changing the wording at some point later today, when I have a bit of time to do so. :)

_Juris #40 Posted Nov 21 2018 - 04:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19135 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS

View PostScorpiany, on Nov 20 2018 - 17:13, said:

Very interesting to hear your feedback. Seems like none of the differences were too drastic, but a few quick passing mentions:

T34: I had originally given it a 4/10 rating as you mentioned above, but someone on Reddit convinced me otherwise; arguing that while the T34 is lacking in other areas, there isn't a Tier 8 Premium that directly beats the T34 at its own role - Dishing out large chunks of damage from a ridgeline. While I still believe T34 to be a less-than-desirable tank, and Lowe to be the better tank, it does make sense to me - Especially if you're only worried about making credits. That extra alpha damage and penetration isn't something you see on a tank that can hull-down like the T34, even if there are several tanks that can come close to it. Thus, I bumped the score up a bit to 5.5/10.

JgTig 8,8cm: I mostly agree with you there actually. I found that a lot of people really enjoy it because despite the very low caliber gun, it provides a unique, fun side of gameplay (when it works). Good profitability on top of that is always important for a Premium, so while it's definitely not something I would prefer (because as you said, it's an assault TD that can't really attack; WZ-120-1G FT can do that job so much better than the Jg in many ways), it's still going to be a lot of players may still find worthwhile.

Panther 8,8cm: I'll copy this from one of my responses on Reddit, since I think it describes my sentiment towards the tank for any circumstance, random battles or Strongholds:

The Panther 8,8cm would actually be fairly decent if it weren't for a couple major issues. On paper, it's reasonably mobile, has good view range, decent enough gun depression, good gun handling, good DPM... But that's on paper.

The gripe I have with the tank is the gun. 203 AP pen is very low for a regular-MM tank, especially one with 240 alpha. However, combine that with the 2.5 second base aiming time (A very poor value to see on a 240 alpha gun), and 0.13 gun handling on turret traverse (Fairly poor value for turret gun handling), and the gun just... Doesn't work. It takes far too long to aim and re-aim onto the target, often times just to bounce off because it lacks the penetration to deal with the threat.

The other issue is that it's a large tank with very little effective armor. Sure, it's not as bad as something like a CDC in that regard, but a CDC is much, much faster of a tank.

So what you're left with, is a large, unarmored tank that only has average mobility at best, and has a very lackluster gun. The worst thing is that even if you enjoyed the regular Panther and Panther II, you're still unlikely to want to play the Panther 8,8cm. It's just... Disappointing. Hence, why I steer people away from it. Almost always I see people who buy it just disappointed, or regretting their purchase. The tank looks pretty good on paper, but in reality, it's lacking in a lot of different ways.

59-Patton / STA-2: I definitely see why some people would give them stronger buy recommendations, I'm trying to be very careful to not over-recommend or under-recommend tanks that other people may love / dislike, even if I personally have some different preferences with the tanks. STA-2 and 59-Patton fall into that category, I found them to be great Premiums, especially with the gun handling, but their relative slower speed compared to some medium tanks, especially when we have tanks like the T-44-100 in the game, feels like I can't give them anything more than just a "good" recommendation.

Makes sense, and they're definitely quibbles, as you say.  I feel like the T34 and the Panther 8,8 are in almost exactly the same boat.  They're good crew trainers if you desperately need a crew trainer for that specific configuration, and they work pretty well in Strongholds.  The T34 probably holds up a little better in pubs because the penetration values are so good, but they're both bad enough in pubs that i'd basically never play them there. As for the 59-Patton/STA-2/T-44-100, I agree with that generally.  However, in a way their lack of speed can be more helpful to less experienced players, since a tier 8 premium that's fast can also be fast enough to get you into situations that you can't get out of.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users