Strategy How-To

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

24_inch_pythons #1 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 17:20

Major

• Players
  • 30252 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

World of Tanks can be difficult to master but it doesn't have to be difficult to enjoy and do well in. Below are some easy tips to help you get the most of the game right away. Let's assume standard random battles with a mostly balanced team composition.

In no particular order:

- World of Tanks isn't a first person shooter, don't yolo. A battle is 15 minutes long and there are no respawns. There is no need to rush headlong until you literally run into the enemy team. Yoloing will only result in the team losing your tank (they need you!) while doing almost nothing to help your team win. To be in any way successful at WoT you must have patience.

- World of Tanks is a puzzle game. Look at it from a tactical perspective for a moment. Let's say you see an enemy tank you want to engage. In order to win the engagement you need to know many things, some of which may not be known. You need to puzzle out that unknown information from the fog of war. One of the things you will need to know is who is supporting the tank you want to engage? If you attack tank x because he is alone, only to find out that two TDs are overwatching him from concealment... well let's just say mistakes were made.

- Understand alpha damage and trading. A tank's up front damage is one of the most important statistics in the game. While trading damage is not the desired outcome of any engagement it's inevitably going to occur. If you have a gun that does 240 alpha damage and you just got shot by an IS who has 390 alpha damage then you need to shoot him not once, but twice to make the trade worthwhile. He shot you once for 390, you shoot him twice for 480.

- Understand your tanks armor profile. As mentioned above, trading damage is not what you want to do. You may have to do it, but you don't want to do it. You want to remove the enemy tanks HP pool while losing none of your own. To do that you need to understand your tank. Does your tank have armor? If the answer is no, then you want to fire at distracted enemies or fire from camouflage, invisibility. If the answer is yes then you need to understand how your armor works. Do you need to be hulldown? Do you need to angle your armor? Even though you have good armor for your tier, is it effective in this situation, in this game? Almost no armor will stand up to tanks two tiers higher than you. Most won't stand up to tanks one tier higher than you. 

- Shoot at the softest target you can. Until you get to be more experienced with your guns and the armor profiles of tanks it is better to fire at the softest thing you can. Damage is better than no damage. 

- Crew is crucial as they like to say at Wargaming. Get sixth sense on your commander ASAP and build your crew up as fast as you can. Pick up some premium time if you can, and take advantage of any and every crew xp bonus you can. A premium tank can help with crew training too.

Bromatick_1 #2 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 17:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 149 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Thanks for the help. I have world of tanks blitz. I know it's not 100% the same but the concept is familiar to me. Thanks though! ;)

Bromatick_1 #3 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 17:25

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 149 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Thanks for the help. I have world of tanks blitz. I know it's not 100% the same but the concept is familiar to me. Thanks though! ;)

Bromatick_1 #4 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 17:25

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 149 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Sorry about that.

65Camino #5 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 17:37

Captain

• Players
  • 35629 battles
  • [2CMBG] 2CMBG
+1 Pythons, brief and to the point. Well done.

the_Deadly_Bulb #6 Posted Nov 20 2018 - 21:05

Major

• Players
  • 28057 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

GJ 24_inch_pythons

Its a keeper!

Clear, short, easy to understand.

dunniteowl #7 Posted Nov 21 2018 - 04:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Wing Up!

Nice job OP!

For those of you willing to Dig Deeper:  The WoT Welcome Package is available to you as well.

Great Job, OP!

OvO

GL, HF & HSYBF!

Also tagged with Strategy, How-To

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users