• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

R1S100 #1 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 16:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 14709 battles
  • [GARBG] GARBG

Hello all,

I've been getting quite a few popup messages from Apple recently warning me about their upcoming switchover from 32-bit applications to 64-bit applications exclusively. I checked around in the deepest bowels of my game files and found that World of Tanks is a 32-bit operating system.

I should mention that I have absolutely no idea what these things are (32 and 64-bit systems), so this is just what I've heard and I have no prior knowledge.

A concern of mine is that when this transition is complete, World of Tanks will no longer function on MacBook Air. Yikes!

Anyone know anything about upcoming compatibility errors in the future?

Thank you,

R1S100

GeorgePreddy #2 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 16:57

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles

My Windows system is 64 bit and WoT works fine for me (and millions of others using a 64 bit OS).

You never know about that wonky, culty, overpriced Apple stuff though.

SwollenOstrich #3 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 17:03

Captain

• Players
  • 23402 battles

Always nice to see Apple join the rest of the 2006 world.

If they could have figured out how to charge idiots $40 more for a power cord for 64-bit systems, the change would have happened years ago.

R1S100 #4 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 17:05

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 14709 battles
  • [GARBG] GARBG

Well yeah but I need to know about what is to come. Not about Windows or what Apple should've done.

Concerned that WoT won't work anymore.

1N73LL1G3NC3 #5 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 17:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4214 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View PostR1S100, on Nov 24 2018 - 11:05, said:

Well yeah but I need to know about what is to come. Not about Windows or what Apple should've done.

Concerned that WoT won't work anymore.

MacOS Sierra and High Sierra are (AFAIK) the last operating systems from Apple that will fully support running 32-bit applications, so as long as you stay with those you will be fine. I'm sticking with Sierra for the foreseeable future because I have legacy audio software that hasn't been upgraded yet, but eventually I believe all software will be updated.

As for WoT still being 32-bit... well, that affects (minimally) everybody, not just MacOS users. It is a shame WarGaming hasn't ported their game into 64-bit yet.

I'll add that anyone that has anything negative to say about Apple products is probably just jealous, because why would you even think to disparage a company that otherwise causes you no personal harm? Get over yourselves, Apple products are just fine.

GeorgePreddy #6 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 17:53

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles

View Post1N73LL1G3NC3, on Nov 24 2018 - 13:37, said:

I'll add that anyone that has anything negative to say about Apple products is probably just jealous...

Envious is probably a slightly better word in this usage.

But I'm not envious, just the opposite.

I just think that people who are considering which platform will be better for them if they are very into gaming should be aware that if they choose Apple over Windows they will be paying a considerable amount more for hardware/software that will cause them some negative issues with gaming for the foreseeable future.

Just trying to be a good neighbor and warn folks.

For gaming, PC with Windows = cheaper, better, easier than Apple.

1N73LL1G3NC3 #7 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 18:27

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4214 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Nov 24 2018 - 11:53, said:

I just think that people who are considering which platform will be better for them if they are very into gaming should be aware that if they choose Apple over Windows they will be paying a considerable amount more for hardware/software that will cause them some negative issues with gaming for the foreseeable future.

How magnanimous of you, considering the OP never asked for computer buying advice!

He/she asked a question about 32-bit vs. 64-bit applications and their future viability on the Apple hardware platform.

Please learn to read, and try to think before posting your green gobbledygook.

black_colt #8 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 19:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 3957 battles

View PostR1S100, on Nov 24 2018 - 07:20, said:

Hello all,

I've been getting quite a few popup messages from Apple recently warning me about their upcoming switchover from 32-bit applications to 64-bit applications exclusively. I checked around in the deepest bowels of my game files and found that World of Tanks is a 32-bit operating system.

I should mention that I have absolutely no idea what these things are (32 and 64-bit systems), so this is just what I've heard and I have no prior knowledge.

A concern of mine is that when this transition is complete, World of Tanks will no longer function on MacBook Air. Yikes!

Anyone know anything about upcoming compatibility errors in the future?

Thank you,

R1S100

IIRC CodeWeavers has submitted a 64-bit version of the World Of Tanks Mac Wrapper to Wargaming for release.

The next release of macOS will not allow 32-bit apps to run so if Wargaming wants macOS users then they need to approve the 64-bit version of the World of Tanks Mac Wrapper.

black_colt #9 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 19:03

Major

• -Players-
  • 3957 battles

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Nov 24 2018 - 08:53, said:

Envious is probably a slightly better word in this usage.

But I'm not envious, just the opposite.

For gaming, PC with Windows = cheaper, better, easier than Apple.

Please provide verifiable data on where Apple-branded hardware is more expensive than exactly same spec'd non-Apple-branded hardware.

black_colt #10 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 19:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 3957 battles

View Post1N73LL1G3NC3, on Nov 24 2018 - 08:37, said:

MacOS Sierra and High Sierra are (AFAIK) the last operating systems from Apple that will fully support running 32-bit applications, so as long as you stay with those you will be fine. I'm sticking with Sierra for the foreseeable future because I have legacy audio software that hasn't been upgraded yet, but eventually I believe all software will be updated.

As for WoT still being 32-bit... well, that affects (minimally) everybody, not just MacOS users. It is a shame WarGaming hasn't ported their game into 64-bit yet.

I'll add that anyone that has anything negative to say about Apple products is probably just jealous, because why would you even think to disparage a company that otherwise causes you no personal harm? Get over yourselves, Apple products are just fine.

I suspect that World of Tanks will remain 32-bit so it can run on older hardware that can only run 32-bit MS Windows.  If ported to 64-bit then it will not run on that hardware.

The issue with the current World of Tanks Mac Wrapper is that it is running on a 32-bit version of Wine BY THE DECISION OF WARGAMING.

GeorgePreddy #11 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 19:29

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Nov 24 2018 - 15:03, said:

Please provide verifiable data on where Apple-branded hardware is more expensive than exactly same spec'd non-Apple-branded hardware.

Wow... anyone who has ever shopped hard for computers knows that Apple is much more expensive.

1N73LL1G3NC3 #12 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 19:31

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4214 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View Postblack_colt, on Nov 24 2018 - 13:09, said:

I suspect that World of Tanks will remain 32-bit so it can run on older hardware that can only run 32-bit MS Windows.  If ported to 64-bit then it will not run on that hardware.

While partly true, there are ways of including dual-binaries in applications... Or at least there are in MacOS programming.

I have a number of applications that can be executed as 32-bit or 64-bit, and one of them I have specifically chosen to run in 32-bit solely because it accesses other 32-bit plugins that have not been updated or may never get updated. If this can happen similarly within the Windows environment, perhaps there is no drawback to upgrading the game as the 64-bit version could possibly run much better on newer computers for any operating system.

Otherwise, on the MacWrapper side of things, just stick with Sierra or High Sierra for a while longer. I've never believed there was a dire need to always run the latest operating system with my Mac products, and routinely wait at least a year or two anyway because of patches and bug fixes.

GeorgePreddy #13 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 19:37

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles

View Post1N73LL1G3NC3, on Nov 24 2018 - 14:27, said:

How magnanimous of you...  You're making me blush... but you're not wrong, as players who may be considering the differences between PC/MS versus Apple could be perusing this thread and therefore I thought it a good idea to help them out. I don't own stock in Microsoft that I am aware of. I might even own some Apple stock via one of the many Mutual Funds in my retirement plans' portfolios.

He/she asked a question about 32-bit vs. 64-bit applications and their future viability on the Apple hardware platform.  And I think my comments about gamers needing to be aware of some negative issues Apple has concerning gaming in particular, were apropos to the conversation.

Please learn to read, and try to think before posting your green gobbledygook.  I use green text because it is restful to the human eye, not sure what your intent is when saying "gobbledygook", I'm sure you cannot be attacking my truthful and logical statements, so... is it some kind of lame attempt at a personal insult... or what ?

1N73LL1G3NC3 #14 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 21:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4214 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Nov 24 2018 - 13:37, said:

And I think my comments about gamers needing to be aware of some negative issues Apple has concerning gaming in particular...

This thread resides in the "Wot Mac Wrapper Support" section.

The OP didn't ask which gaming computer works best for this game, he/she merely asked about an issue that will result from future MacOS updates - something you likely know very little about. You had no reason to post anything about a person's choice of computer manufacturer after someone asked about a specific issue with their current computer. And for the record, there is absolutely nothing an Apple computer can't do that other P.C.'s can - i.e. my Apple can run Windows natively just as well as (and perhaps better) than most other computers.

I'm not sure why you feel obligated to post nonsense daily on this forum, though I can now see why so many have you blacklisted. You've earned another.

Oh, and "gobbledygook" is in reference to the utter lack of truth and logic you spill, almost daily, around here.

GeorgePreddy #15 Posted Nov 24 2018 - 21:50

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles

Yeah... some folks just can't handle truth and logic.  Just can't.

black_colt #16 Posted Nov 25 2018 - 18:10

Major

• -Players-
  • 3957 battles

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Nov 24 2018 - 10:29, said:

Wow... anyone who has ever shopped hard for computers knows that Apple is much more expensive.

For the same specifications?

I doubt this unless you can provide details [truth and logic].

black_colt #17 Posted Nov 25 2018 - 18:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 3957 battles

View Post1N73LL1G3NC3, on Nov 24 2018 - 12:29, said:

This thread resides in the "Wot Mac Wrapper Support" section.

The OP didn't ask which gaming computer works best for this game, he/she merely asked about an issue that will result from future MacOS updates - something you likely know very little about. You had no reason to post anything about a person's choice of computer manufacturer after someone asked about a specific issue with their current computer. And for the record, there is absolutely nothing an Apple computer can't do that other P.C.'s can - i.e. my Apple can run Windows natively just as well as (and perhaps better) than most other computers.

I'm not sure why you feel obligated to post nonsense daily on this forum, though I can now see why so many have you blacklisted. You've earned another.

Oh, and "gobbledygook" is in reference to the utter lack of truth and logic you spill, almost daily, around here.

What most PC bigots forget is that Apple-branded hardware can run MS WIndows natively through Boot Camp.

So users of Apple-branded hardware can run whatever OS best suits the situation - truth and logic

black_colt #18 Posted Nov 25 2018 - 18:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 3957 battles

View Post1N73LL1G3NC3, on Nov 24 2018 - 10:31, said:

While partly true, there are ways of including dual-binaries in applications... Or at least there are in MacOS programming.

I have a number of applications that can be executed as 32-bit or 64-bit, and one of them I have specifically chosen to run in 32-bit solely because it accesses other 32-bit plugins that have not been updated or may never get updated. If this can happen similarly within the Windows environment, perhaps there is no drawback to upgrading the game as the 64-bit version could possibly run much better on newer computers for any operating system.

Otherwise, on the MacWrapper side of things, just stick with Sierra or High Sierra for a while longer. I've never believed there was a dire need to always run the latest operating system with my Mac products, and routinely wait at least a year or two anyway because of patches and bug fixes.

I doubt that Apple will be allowing fat binaries as there is really no longer a need and focus only on 64-bit only libraries.

Why?

iOS, TvOS, and macOS are all now 64-bit native.  iOS, TvOS, and macOS hardware is now only 64-bit.

Focusing on a single library set will allow for deep optimizations - e.g. optimizing the user interface for the job, allows UI and OS teams to focus on their code and maximize performance and remove unneeded code to reduce code size.

What MS Windows bigots fail to address is that if a game is based on DirectX then it cannot run natively on any other OS except for MS Windows.  I wonder if this is intentional ...

The Wine Team has done an exceptional job with the 64-bit port - now Wargaming needs to step up and release the submitted 64-bit version of World of Tanks Mac Wrapper.  I wonder if this is intentional ...

NutrientibusMeaGallus #19 Posted Nov 25 2018 - 19:48

Major

• Players
  • 22099 battles
  • [FILOX] FILOX

View Post1N73LL1G3NC3, on Nov 24 2018 - 11:37, said:

Jealous of paying 4k for a 2k system? nope.... I'd say they do economic harm to people.

GeorgePreddy #20 Posted Nov 25 2018 - 20:20

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Nov 25 2018 - 14:10, said:

For the same specifications?

I doubt this unless you can provide details [truth and logic].

It's OK for you to be in denial... I get that, enjoy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users