• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #1 Posted Nov 26 2018 - 18:44

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13834 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Tankers,

Check out the most recent version of the Panhard EBR 10 to hit Supertest last weekend!

Closed testing of the French Wheeled vehicles branch has started on the Supertest server. This is the first Tech-Tree version of a wheeled vehicle to be tested in World of Tanks. We will be fine-tuning the line starting at the top with the Panhard EBR 105, which most prominently showcases the unique features of the line.

The vehicle has 8 wheel with 2 driving modes, 'Magnet' lock-on, the charging mechanic, with other distinct features in place. 

It's extremely vulnerable to enemy fire, with a small HP Pool and virtually non-existent armor; this means players will need to rely on its mobility and small size to survive. While it is classified as a Light Tank, the vehicle features a characteristic that is likely to be unique to Wheeled vehicles: View Range is substantially lower than non-wheeled LT's, designating these vehicles to more of an active spotting role.

The vehicle's Firepower is enough to finish off damaged enemies at the end of battle, but not enough to reliably trade shots with anything tier-for-tier, or arguably even below tier. The ace up this tank's sleeve is its mobility, to be sure, coupled with the 105mm gun's outstanding stability on the move. To emphasize the point that dealing damage is not an armored car's specialty, its reload speed is quite slow.

The general conclusion here is that the Panhard EBR 105 has all the strengths and weaknesses of wheeled vehicles combined together and prominently featured in a single package, and provides an excellent starting point for fine-tuning the rest of the line. 

So how's its playstyle?

Wheeled vehicles are likely to provide a more exciting early-game than classic scouting tactics in a traditional LT. 

At the start, you play as an extremely mobile and active spotter. Aggressive flanking maneuvers and early spots will be a likely occurrence if you see these on the enemy roster.

Midgame, you take up the role of an agile reconnaissance vehicle with limited firepower. Without the firepower to burn down targets 1-on-1, even in the midgame it's important to prioritize survival and continue providing your teammates with valuable spotting assistance and pull into the lategame, where the enemy ranks should be thinned down enough to allow you the role of a rapid and dangerous predator.

The Panhard will be relatively tough to handle, so experienced and confident tankers will feel right at home in these vehicles where a classic LT might be more friendly for novice players.

Please feel free to share your impressions below and stay tuned for more announcements about wheeled vehicles as we continue development.

Lesser_Spotted_Panzer #2 Posted Nov 26 2018 - 19:06

Major

• Players
  • 77887 battles
I can already see them zipping across the map and spotting arty at the beginning of the game. Bye arties!

heavymetal1967 #3 Posted Nov 26 2018 - 19:06

Major

• Players
  • 66630 battles

I like it just cause I think Panhead everytime I read it's name.

HeroEnVec #4 Posted Nov 26 2018 - 19:14

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 36507 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
already got a crew prepped for it.  Cant wait for the tech tree to get released.  I bought the ELC AMX again so I can get the xp built up.

YANKEE137 #5 Posted Nov 26 2018 - 19:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 10941 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

Panhard

Panhard II : Pan Harder

Panhard with a Vengeance

Live Free or Panhard

silic0nes0ul #6 Posted Nov 26 2018 - 19:56

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21784 battles
  • [RO-TD] RO-TD

Is there a chance that premium Tier VIII (EBR 75 FL 10) will be possible to buy with gold? :)

While I doubt it will happen, I decided to ask because I saw the following in "Developer Diaries: Wheeled Vehicles. Part 2" video.

Spoiler

Edited by silic0nes0ul, Nov 26 2018 - 20:02.

minneerminneer #7 Posted Nov 26 2018 - 20:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30331 battles
What will the crew layout for them be?

_T_H_U_N_D_E_R_ #8 Posted Nov 26 2018 - 20:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33248 battles
  • [11A_D] 11A_D
I'm more interested in the Lynx 6x6 at tier 8, lol

YANKEE137 #9 Posted Nov 26 2018 - 20:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 10941 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
ELC  Even 30mm X 2 - would be a nice car killer.

Benjeeh_CA #10 Posted Nov 26 2018 - 21:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30129 battles
  • [DBLTP] DBLTP
I hope the gun handling and speed make up for the tier 7 gun with tier 8 heavy view range not to mention base dpm under 2k

JTM78 #11 Posted Nov 26 2018 - 22:19

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21485 battles
  • [OBSCN] OBSCN
GARBAGE! That thing has more pen then most tier 8 light  tanks and massively better camo!

Give Light tanks back their role as scouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gravtech #12 Posted Nov 26 2018 - 22:47

Major

• Players
  • 32016 battles
  • [200IQ] 200IQ

View PostJTM78, on Nov 26 2018 - 14:19, said:

GARBAGE! That thing has more pen then most tier 8 light  tanks and massively better camo!

Give Light tanks back their role as scouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would hope that it would have better camo and pen than tier 8 LTs since it's a tier X scout

ThatTrafficCone #13 Posted Nov 27 2018 - 05:43

Sergeant

• Players
  • 38624 battles
  • [200IQ] 200IQ

Read this first pls

I posted what follows in the other thread, but I figured I might as well share it here too as this appears to be the new discussion centered on these vehicles.

Basically, I see the EBR 105 as a mix of the Panhard EBR and the regular Tier VIII's turret. I'm curious as to why these vehicles can't be separated into two different Tier Xs, respectively with and without an autoloader? The developer diaries video even states that they had change the Panhard EBR chassis in order to fit the larger turret.

In reply to the recent Developer Diaries: Wheeled Vehicles Pt. 2 video...

First of all, I'm very excited for the introduction of wheeled vehicles. However, I want to question the choices for the high-tier vehicles, and namely the enigma that is the Tier VIII premium, the EBR FL-10 75.

I don't necessarily have an issue with this vehicle's existence in the game, rather it's place in relation to the rest of the branch. Premium tanks that precede introductions (such as the 50TP Prototyp with Poland, and the Progetto M46 with Italy) are supposed to reflect the tanks in the branch, and I feel that the EBR FL-10 75 doesn't quite achieve that. Specifically, the fact it has an autoloader. Also, the Tier X vehicle—the EBR 105—doesn't quite follow the rest of the French tech tree because it actually lacks an autoloader, nor does the rest of the branch. So, with this in mind, I propose a change to the branch of vehicles being introduced after Tier VII. Specifically, to break it into two branches: autoloaders and non-autoloaders.

My proposed redesign of the French Wheeled Vehicle branch

At Tier VIII, we have the EBR FL-11. This the Panhard EBR as it is well known, with the FL-11 turret. It could use the two 75 mm guns from the B-C 12 t (or even the AMX 13 75), just without the autoloaders, and the optional 90 mm F1 or F2 guns. It retains the high speeds characteristic of the of the Panhard EBR 8 x 8 chassis. This is probably the same tank as the "EBR 90" already being tested, just dropped a tier to remove any kind of over-buffing to make it viable at Tier IX.

This tank leads into the EBR FL-10, which is the old premium vehicle. However, now instead of a two-shot autoloader it can get a more reputable 3-shot or even 4-shot autoloader for its 75 mm armaments, which both carry over from the EBR FL-11. But it would also receive the 90 mm F3 gun, which is essentially the same gun as the top gun from the AMX 13 90. To my knowledge, no Panhard EBR with the FL-10 turret and F3 gun was built, but it's definitely something within the realm of possibility. In which case it would probably receive a 2-round autoloader.

Finally at Tier X, there's the EBR FL-12. In 1965, there were plans to mount the FL-12 turret with the 90 mm F3 gun. To my knowledge, there's only one source that offers that information on this vehicle, but it's a reputable source. Either this vehicle can comfortably get a 3-round autoloader for its 90 mm gun, or possibly even a 105 mm gun with a 2-round autoloader (After all, this is the arrangement on the AMX 13 105).

In any case, this can be considered the 8-Wheeled branch of wheeled vehicles. The guns may not have much in terms of penetration, but they have a high damage potential thanks to their autoloaders and unmatched speed.

The second branch also begins at Tier VIII, the ERC-90. This is very much the "Lynx 6x6" Wargaming already plans to put at Tier VIII, so I'm not going to discuss the vehicle here. All I can suggest is a more inclusive name change.

Then at Tier IX, there's the VBC-90. This thing is noteworthy for having an extremely high-velocity and penetrating gun (250 mm at 1000 meters IRL) and while it would have high accuracy, it lacks a gun stabilizer so the vehicle must be stationary in order to snipe; counter-intuitive to the whole active-scouting role these wheeled vehicles are supposed to embody. It would be a bit of an odd case in that regard, kind of blurring the line between Light Tanks and Tank Destroyers. But the high penetration would be offset by low damage and perhaps a low reload speed as well.

Then finally at Tier X, there's the AMX 10 RC. This is practically the turret and gun Wargaming intends to put on their "EBR 105," but returned to a more practical chassis. Comparatively, it would see reduced speed and mobility compared to the 8 x 8 EBR vehicles.

The relatively low damage output of these vehicles, in addition to their relatively low mobility compared to the EBR branch, can be offset by the high accuracy of their guns and the high penetration.

Then finally, there's the premium vehicle: the Tier VIII (maybe Tier VII?) EBR FL-3. This is the new premium vehicle I propose, essentially being the turret of the "EBR Hotchkiss" placed on the body of the Panhard EBR, with presumably its top gun option. This vehicle would have the mobility of the EBR vehicles, but with the accuracy and penetration of the non-autoloading branch: a happy medium between the two. And if this thing doesn't work, there's is a version of the Panhard EBR that fitted the AMX 12 t turret, or even the AML-90 as a more "typical" vehicle.

The aim of these changes are to make these wheeled vehicles feel more like the rest of the French tech tree, while still retaining their uniqueness, and now with a premium tank that more accurately reflects the vehicles to be introduced. Thoughts?

Edited by ThatTrafficCone, Nov 27 2018 - 05:56.

Mikosah #14 Posted Nov 27 2018 - 07:51

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

Neat idea in theory, but in practice I don't see this being treated the way WG is expecting. For one, all of these new bonus features are very gimmicky. Traits like the improved resistance to tipping/fall damage and more lenient autoaim frankly should be applied to the entire light tank class if not all classes. Other traits like the different movement modes are very situational in a class that's already situational. Why not just condense them to one movement mode that's functional at all times? Is this a hint that WG is still struggling to make the high speed controllable? If so, no one will use it at any rate. And the boost, what's the point of coming to a stop and damaging your own engine when you could just keep going instead? I don't think these 'compromises' are going to be very popular.

And now we come to the topic of view range. The logic is that by making the view range value terrible that players will be motivated to be even more aggressive and scout actively. Let's stop and think about that. You expect them to make a suicide rush to the front line and dance around in front of 15 enemy guns with the hope of being spoon-fed some assists..... in a tank with extremely low hit points and zero armor. Fat chance! If every map was Prokhorovka, then maybe WG would be on to something. But even then, these blind 'scouts' are going to be out-spotted by the heavies let alone anything else. Simply put, both active and passive scouts currently have insufficient view range and both could stand to be much better. In spite of all the best intentions, what the dev team created here is another line of turreted sniping TDs. And so they'll remain until they can actually out-spot any of the other classes. I didn't say they'd be good TDs, but they'll certainly be better at that than they will be as scouts!

So my advice is to buff the view range of the entire light tank class, both passive and active scouts alike, and the wheeled lights as well. Certain well-performing premiums probably don't need a view range buff so they can be an exception. But for the rest of the class this would be a necessary differentiating factor from the mediums. As for the concern that some may end up with too much view range, that's really not a problem and here's why. If a light tank has so much base view range that it can get away with not using a vision-centric loadout, then it might get used with a different loadout, which would itself be more unique and interesting then the same old combination that 99% of high tier tanks use and is still highly unlikely to make a dent in the meta. And if it does use a vision-centric loadout, its still bound by the 445m spotting cap and therefore all that extra view range is just cancelling out some more enemy camo. For any other class that's of little concern, but scouts thrive on being able to fit into that precious narrow margin of seeing without being seen.

AZandEL #15 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 23:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28018 battles

View PostLesser_Spotted_Panzer, on Nov 26 2018 - 18:06, said:

I can already see them zipping across the map and spotting arty at the beginning of the game. Bye arties!

So their role is to do what lights are already supposed to do? Is this needed in the 2018 meta? If we had a lot of open maps sure.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users