T14 American Heavy How to Tsavo is bad like really bad not kidding tubobad

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

_Tsavo_ #1 Posted Dec 01 2018 - 21:43

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 42749 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

What do you get when you make a modestly mobile brick with a potato cannon aimed by that one gunner in Spaceballs?  You get the T14 Heavy.

TL;DR at the bottom for them types who skip over big ol' wall-o-text® posts.

Bundle Review at bottom

Final words at bottom

Between the Twitch Prime loot and the December-long sales event of the T14, we've seen an old tonk come out of the weeds again.  It pops up from time to time and, depending on the price, can be an okay deal.  It's got a little history, but never saw service, read up on it here if you want.   For the T14 in game, we're given a similar, ho-hum vehicle as it's real world counterpart.  It's tough-ish, fast-ish, has okay-ish DPM, you're probably noticing a trend here.

With any vehicle in the game, the point is to do anything you can to make sure them red buggers over yonder get all explody, by your hand or with assistance from your team, so we'll start with the big thing that goes pew.  It's the 75mm Gun M3.  If you've played through the American Medium line, you've likely encountered this gun at another monstrosity, the M3 Lee.  At tier 4 the gun is okay to decent, at tier 5 it leaves a lot lacking.  Of course, you also will never see tier 7 tanks like the rest of your tier 5 brethren.

M3 Lee's gun on left, T14's gun on right.

Yup, it's not a great story here.  Your base pen is 92 with 127 with APCR.  There are a lot of things that you will struggle to pen or just outright be unable to pen with 92, so don't be scrooge and carry a healthy amount of APCR to supplement your pew-pew.  You will need it.  The tank does carry 90 rounds, so that leaves you with many options for ammo.  I personally go 30AP, 30 APCR, and 30HE because why not.  If I've fired 60 times in a match something has seriously gone wrong.  The low pen really wouldn't be a problem until you come to the accuracy part where it's a paltry .46 dispersion.  This vaguely translates into an potential to place your shot into the tops of your feet or the International Space Station and anywhere betwixt those two.

Okay, so far the gun has been very mediocre to outright bad, but it does have one thing working for it: rate of fire and DPM.  2,099 DPM is pretty good for a tier 5.  So the pen, bad aim time, poor accuracy can all be made up 3 seconds later with another shot to chuck at your red friend down range.  If you like the pew-pew playstyle and alpha isn't your thing, this gun shines in a close, intimate brawl where accuracy won't really hinder you.  It also has 10 degrees of American Fun, er depression.  The pew points down quite a bit.

A common enemy you'll face in the T14 is the KV-1.  Basic scrape position vs 92mm of pen.  Have fun with that.

Against your 127mm APCR, still not a sure-fire pen but hopefully this reinforces the fact that you will likely require some APCR to get the job done.

So, we've got a gun that has several drawbacks and one or two okay things going for it, what about your ability to survive and, ya know, be a heavy?

Surprisingly good, Though, with that said, it's not fool proof and has a whole bevy of problems itself.  So let's cover the basics with the T14's armor: It's decent at tier and leaves much to be desired against many tier 6 tanks.  The entirety of the upper hull is 50.8 and well angled.  When on flat ground and facing directly ahead, you've got 90+ and if you're looking down over a modest incline you've got 100+ of well angled armor.  The lower hull is actually not a weak spot frontally, being about 105-130mm effective.  Yes, lots of fellers shoot there and they will bounce.  The sides aren't super thick and if you let someone get to your flank you'll not be having a good time.  However, you have 19mm of side skirting and 20mm effective tracks in addition to 63mm of hull armor behind it.  The hull above the tracks is 50.8, not well angled, and is the place to shoot if you have a T14's side and, if you are the T14, the thingie you don't want Uncle Touchy to be touchin'.  With all of this in mind, scraping out makes this thing a bunker of a tier 5.  With a normal side scraping angle, the side armor starts at 160+mm and goes above 200.  This in conjunction with 690HP means you should be able to weather most engagements at tier and be okay against 6s if you use your head.

A T14 scraping against a T14 (92 pen) is, when completely stationary, a 50% chance to pen the one side of the upper plate.  If you're juking, wiggling, poking, rocking, you've become practically impenetrable.

Now, same angle against 127mm APCR, it's much squishier but you can make the armor work, especially on hills and with solid cover.

When looking over a crest and hiding the lower plate, you're basically immune.

Lastly, two points: 1.) there is one big, giant, hole in the armor.  Literally the machine gun port in the hull is 63 and flat with 38 sides.  If a T14 lets you see this little hole, be sure to chuck stuff into it.  2.) HE.  He is not your friend.  M4s and other 105 derps will basically blap you for 150 every time and the KV derps will do about 200.  Arty will make you want to commit soduku.  Your turret top plate is 25 and your hull plate is 19.  As a lot of HE gets chucked at your face, that 19mm plate lets a lot of HE splash through.  Or just lets arty go through and cause all sorts of unpleasantness in your vehicle.

Okay, we've got a flawed gun and a rather robust armor profile, but can it move and get to the fight?  Oh, yes.  Yes it can.  The T14 isn't particularly fast but it's strangely mobile for what it is, 34Kmh as a top speed, but if you're going top speed and hard over to a turn while staying in the gas, you drop to 31KMH and hold it.  You don't bleed speed on the move with maneuvers.  However when you are stationary or let off the gas your traverse speed becomes tectonically slow.  A reverse speed of 10 doesn't leave much room for backing out of a mistake so be wary of recklessly charging into things, you won't be able to back out or turn around and run.  However, with caution, you can be the pressing aggressor and get to spots quicker than most other heavies who bleed tremendous speed when turning.  It's a small bonus, but one that should not be overlooked.  Power to weight is a smidgen above 15.

Right, any way we can make improve this with equipment?  

Yes!  I recommend a Gun Laying Drive, A Rammer, and Vents.  An argument can be made for Optics, but the normal method of playing, getting close and being a bully I'd wager favors any boost to the gun/reload that you can get.

Small repair, small med, and an auto fire kit* are bog standard, no need for food at tier 5.  

*Autofire mini rant below

Spoiler

So we've got an odd armor triangle here, we have a robust armor profile with modest mobility and an underwhelming gun.  But how does it play?  I played a 10 game stretch yesterday and these are the results, with a premium account.  

Lots of images and game results, so spoiler to save space and tiny computers

So, of those 10 games, 6 were victories and 4 were defeats.  Average damage of the 10 games was 858.  On a standard account the average credit income was 9,562.3 with 6 positive games and 4 negative games and on a standard account the average was 22,792.3 with no net negatives, though 383 credits was the lowest net.

The tank won't pack your coffers to the brim, but should net you money at the end of the day with some games losing a few hundred to a few thousand credits, the smallest credit loss if it was a standard account was 50 while the largest was 9,737.  Still, an average credit per match of roughly 10k isn't bad, though bear in mind I have zero issues using APCR which cost 2,800 a shot while the standard ammo costs 56 credits a shot.  So if you stick to AP you can potentially spend much less but a fair many of those shots will not go into their mark or miss entirely.  

The Final Verdict: Lukewarm tank is lukewarm.

Like a soup that's just a little bit above room temperature.  With a little more heat the flavor would pop but without some added zest it's easy to write off.

The tank is not without it's strengths.  It's got a solid armor profile against anything that isn't HE and has decent mobility if you're not turning in place to turning at a low speed.  The gun is weak but has the potential to DPM things to death if it hits and if it pens, which are significant ifs given the gun stats.  A 5 man crew fills some of the heavies but with a fair many American heavies having 6 or 7 crew, you'll find someone is left out of the equation quite a bit.  If it comes up at the right price I'd say it's worth it.  Pref MM means you'll never see tier 7 but the price for that is the woefully inadequate gun.  With the recent change to tier 3 only getting +/-1, a lot of the tiny tanks this used to eat are removed from the equation, a pseudo nerf to the tank but for those of you wanting to experience +/-1 MM spreads outside of tiers 1-3, here ya go.

As a standalone tank, $10-15 is a fin price point and well worth it.

The current bundle, at a whopping 63.99 consists of the following:

• T14 + garage slot (est 9.39 which is the cost of the Excelsior) 
  • 5,000 gold ( $23.56)
  • 5,000,000 credits (12,500 gold value or $53.69)
  • 40 x5 missions (no idea the cash value)

Total value* $86.64.  *estimated T14 value at $9.39 and without the 40 missions)

Is the bundle worth it?  I'd say no.  at a $30 price point with 5,000 gold and the tank I'd say it'd be an absolute buy or if the T14 was a standalone at $9/10-15 absolutely.  The inclusion of credits is superfluous and can be acquired just by playing the game (unless one is bad and credits are a struggle to keep) and I don't feel add to the value of the T14 bundle as it currently stands.  

TL;DR: Mediocre gun, okay armor, okay mobility, doesn't see tier 7s, requires APCR to be effective quite often.  A price of $10-15 USD seems adequate.  In the current bundle with 5million credits it is not worth it, but if it was $30 USD with 5,000 gold it would be a good great value.**

**I do not like credits being included in bundles to inflate prices of tanks and do not think it is ever a good value or worth trading gold for the blasted stuff you earn with every game provided you aren't a potato who can't net credits in an average game.

EDIT: Equipment suggestion

EDIT II: A word

Edited by _Tsavo_, Dec 02 2018 - 01:30.

GeorgePreddy #2 Posted Dec 01 2018 - 21:54

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles

I approve this message.

BillDing1 #3 Posted Dec 01 2018 - 22:15

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6672 battles
getting it for "free" with twitch prime is a way better deal then paying for 5 mill credits, if I didn't have twitch prime already and I wanted the tank I'd pay for that before the bundle.

_Tsavo_ #4 Posted Dec 01 2018 - 22:33

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 42749 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostBillDing1, on Dec 01 2018 - 16:15, said:

getting it for "free" with twitch prime is a way better deal then paying for 5 mill credits, if I didn't have twitch prime already and I wanted the tank I'd pay for that before the bundle.

The Twitch Prime deal is pretty good and really easy to do, place top 10 in exp on a win 10 times over 10 days and free T14.  

CapPhrases #5 Posted Dec 01 2018 - 22:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 7280 battles

View Post_Tsavo_, on Dec 01 2018 - 16:33, said:

The Twitch Prime deal is pretty good and really easy to do, place top 10 in exp on a win 10 times over 10 days and free T14.  

I have to be a Twitch prime member to do that mission though right?

_Tsavo_ #6 Posted Dec 01 2018 - 23:04

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 42749 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostCapPhrases, on Dec 01 2018 - 16:56, said:

I have to be a Twitch prime member to do that mission though right?

yes, which is about $12/month, which equates to roughly a standalone T14 value.

CapPhrases #7 Posted Dec 01 2018 - 23:10

Major

• -Players-
  • 7280 battles

View Post_Tsavo_, on Dec 01 2018 - 17:04, said:

yes, which is about $12/month, which equates to roughly a standalone T14 value.

welp no T14 for me then, which is sad because I'd rather have it than the Patriot I had to get instead since for some reason I couldn't use gift cards on the T14.

oh well thanks for the info Tsavo

YANKEE137 #8 Posted Dec 01 2018 - 23:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 10942 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
T14avo

NL_Celt #9 Posted Dec 02 2018 - 00:17

Major

• Players
  • 27537 battles
I got one as a reward a long time ago, and still play it every now and again. It's as Tsavo says. Not great but has its features both plus and minus. Sort of like the old premium tanks were. In between fully upgraded and stock tech tanks. But it plays pretty decently in the right game and its a premium so should be able to make some cash and train crews, exactly what a premium is supposed to do.

KaiserMartens #10 Posted Dec 03 2018 - 02:17

Major

• Players
  • 27307 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

The only use this tank has is as a crew trainer.

_Tsavo_ #11 Posted Dec 03 2018 - 04:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 42749 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostKaiserMartens, on Dec 02 2018 - 20:17, said:

The only use this tank has is as a crew trainer.

There are better tanks for crew trainers,but on a budget, this one averages a marginal profit per game and trains.  It's just not all that competitive these days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users