• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

dunniteowl #1 Posted Dec 02 2018 - 17:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

The WoT Welcome Package

First of all, Welcome to the Madness that is World of Tanks (PC) !  In this Welcome Package you will find:

1) The "WoT Player's Bible"

2) The Prioritization Mantra for Play

3) A short list of "Don't's, please" and a bit of advice

4) Some Useful Links for Learning Things

5) A Bit About Your Garage and the Game Economy

1)  The WoT Player's Bible

Spoiler

2)  With all this stuff comes a lot of stuff to remember!  

Spoiler

3) A few "Don't's Please" and some advice:  

Spoiler

Training:

Only learn one or two New Things at a time.  If you're going to learn to spot, then forget about all that armor angling and getting hull down stuff for now, because it will just get in the way.  Spotting is something to learn as well as those other things.  Most times, you're going to be learning all these new things while hitting "Battle!" and playing.  Which is why I developed the Prioritization Mantra.  Trying to learn something new when you're learning all sorts of new stuff is hard to keep track of what you should be doing right this moment.  The Mantra is your guidepost.

4) Some Useful Links for Learning Things:

Spoiler

5) A Bit About the Game Economy and Your Garage

Spoiler

(more will be added later as I get my stuff better organized)

Other than that, welcome once again and I hope any of this you (and any others) find helpful, useful or of value in some manner for playing.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Yesterday, 07:14 PM.

Cowcat137 #2 Posted Dec 02 2018 - 17:49

Major

• -Players-
  • 14481 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Perhaps make a Captain America style detention video : " So you say this game is rigged..."

Ironclad73 #3 Posted Dec 02 2018 - 17:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 23302 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
Great tips Owl, good job. Now if the people who need it most could read it, especially the map spammers and the ignorants running around screaming "cheaters" +1

PunCzarBlintz #4 Posted Dec 02 2018 - 19:07

Major

• Players
  • 83353 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
Very well put together!

dunniteowl #5 Posted Dec 02 2018 - 19:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

I figured I had to slightly update the original + I had to stop linking from this or that forum thread.

It was time to place it into the forums with spoiler space added as per a few others' suggestions in order to reduce the Wall of Text Fatigue some mentioned.

Any other additions and add-ons (WITH NEW and SUB-PERFORMING PLAYERS in mind) are always welcome and entertained.  In other words, wordy as I am, I'm intending to keep this focused on the very basics of what it takes to improve your tanking.

Thanks, Y'all!

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Dec 02 2018 - 19:14.

dunniteowl #6 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 16:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

This is a shameless bump to keep it on the front page.  Sorry to any that disapprove (myself included) of bumping threads.  It's only, because I think this one is important enough to do so.

OvO

Po1ar_Gaming #7 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 19:50

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 182 battles
Thanks for recommending this to me. It was a good read. 

dunniteowl #8 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 20:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostIronclad73, on Dec 02 2018 - 10:54, said:

Great tips Owl, good job. Now if the people who need it most could read it, especially the map spammers and the ignorants running around screaming "cheaters" +1

It wouldn't hurt to link them to this when you come across them.  I would most definitely appreciate (as, I imagine, would those you help with providing them the link to this) any assistance from any other Fellow Gamer interested in seeing folks get the materials necessary for them to better understand and learn for playing this game!

OvO

youkali #9 Posted Apr 03 2019 - 23:28

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23632 battles
Very helpful.  Thanks and a bump.

dunniteowl #10 Posted Apr 04 2019 - 00:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Thanks and You Are Most Welcome!

As a side note to some who think others might benefit.

What I do:

Say I'm playing a match and see someone who seems like they should: Angle during an engagement and just aren't.  You can tell this when they are completely sideways to their opponent presenting their entire flank side of left or right while trading shots in the open, for example.  Another tell tale would be someone trading shots on a corner where they stick out too much of their sides or front to be exposed in order to shoot.  Other tell tales might be traveling out in the open with plenty of cover available, yet failing to use it.

Use your imagination and knowledge to determine if you are seeing someone who lacks knowledge of game mechanics or basic tactics.

At the end of such a match, I will then check the After Battle Report, click on the player in question and look at their Player Profile.  If their WR is less than 48%, then perhaps they could use a hand with knowing where to get that information.  At that point, I will go to this page in the Newcomer's Section and copy the link address to this particular thread.

Then I "Send Message" to the player and type something like this:

Hi!  I noticed you seemed to be struggling in that last match.  I checked your stats and thought maybe you could use this:  (hit Enter)

Copy Paste the link to the WoT Welcome Package (hit Enter)

Then I type:  This comes from the WoT Official Forums and was put together to help New and Struggling Players learn more about the Game.  Hope you find it useful!  GL, HF & HSYBF! (hit Enter).

I have yet to have someone tell me in return to FO or anything negative.  I have made four new friends in game due to doing this and have also been hailed by players I don't know who know me from the forums for my helpful and thoughtful posts, so perhaps it's a decent method to provide this sort of information to those players who you can tell have a hard time with the basic mechanics and tactics of the game.

I am STILL OPEN to suggestions on what NEW PLAYERS should know that I can add to this Package.   Just bear in mind that we are not trying to overwhelm these folks with everything under the WoT Sun.  It is and should be limited to the Primary or Core Essential Information to be able to understand how the game works and how to operate at a basic level of competency while playing.

Thanks, Y'all!

GL, HF & HSYBF! (Hope to See You on the Battle Field)

OvO

el_01 #11 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 23:37

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3740 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

el_01's Rambly Supplements Part 1: Explaining Survival ("Approved" by Dunniteowl)

Surviving

Every tank has a gun. That gun is capable of somehow doing damage. Damage leads to tanks killed or tanks playing less aggressive, which ultimately can lead to victory. (quick sidenote: it is more important to kill a tank than to farm a higher-HP tank because you are eliminating that gun from the game, helping your team)

Surviving comes with one basic thing that you MUST learn, and one advanced thing that I'll discuss in later articles:

• Limit exposure.

Limiting exposure means that you are only exposing the smallest amount of your tank available needed to do damage and ideally to as few guns as possible. This means:

• Peeking at distracted or reloading tanks, ideally when their nearby allies are distracted or reloading as well

• Using hull-down positions where the enemy can only see your turret (if it's strong or you have gun depression)

• Using cover in general

• Being aware of unspotted tanks and where they might be

• (last resort) USE YOUR ARMOUR!

Peeking

This is simple enough in my opinion, but it still needs some explanation. If a tank is focused on your allies or is reloading and you have a clean shot that doesn't expose you to too many enemy guns, go for it. DO NOT poke when enemies are looking at you, or not reloading (you can tell this from experience of reloads and when they've fired. DO NOT poke if you know that there are other enemy tanks around that are likely loaded and likely facing in your direction. How do you know this? Get out of sniper mode, and try to find an angle where you can see what direction an enemy tank is facing. Or, track when they've killed something and move then.

Hull-down position

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/515992-how-to-hull-down-with-pictures/ Something useful I found right here on the forum!

With tanks that have strong turrets and/or good gun depression, you can use "hull down" position. The article explains a lot, but essentially the gist is that you try to expose as little of your tank as possible when shooting over a hill. Slowly drive your tank in sniper mode until you can see the enemy you want to shoot, fire, and quickly back down. You'll get faster at this with time. Some people like to move up and down to maybe trick the enemy into firing, but there's always a chance they might hit. BEFORE DOING THIS: Go to tanks.gg, look in the tech tree for your tank, and look at the "Gun Depression" statistic. Generally, if the gun depression is below 8 degrees, don't do this! Why? You will expose more of your tank to damage. Instead, try go to the flat ground on the sides of the hill.

Cover

Cover is THE MOST simple way to limit exposure. You are physically blocking yourself from enemy fire.

Cover includes:

• Piles of rocks

• Buildings

• Rocks

• Hills

• Landforms

• Dead tanks

If you think an enemy tank might have an angle on you, get into cover from that angle! If you are getting shot from a direction, get into cover from that angle! Just be careful not to expose yourself to more fire while retreating from one.

Sidenote: Tank positioning

As you play more, you will notice where enemy tanks tend to appear by looking at the minimap. Use this with 4TankersAndDog's map videos to figure out where you may be exposed to fire in some scenarios and where you can hide.

Awareness of Unspotted Tanks

I'm not sure if it's a default thing or not, but dig around in the settings of WoT and turn on the "show last known positions of enemies" feature, if it's not already enabled. Use this with the physical images of cover on the minimap to determine what unspotted enemies could hit you while making a play. Adjust the route to behind cover with that information. You still might risk taking damage if the enemies have moved since then, but it doesn't hurt to try to decrease the chance beforehand.

Last Resort: Armour

Why is this the last resort? In my opinion, armour isn't a super meaningful way to protect yourself from enemy fire. Why? No tank is impenetrable. But, here are things you can do:

1. Angle towards the threat: Most tanks that have some meaningful armour have it on the front. Turn your tank towards the place where the threat is coming from to increase chances of a bounce.

2. Turn your turret towards the threat: If the enemy's aim is bad, they might shoot you in the turret instead of the hull. By turning your turret towards the enemy, you increase the chances of a bounce. Additionally, you can blind fire or actually hit the enemy, plus you might scare some people without sixth sense away because they think you know where you are.

Hopefully this makes sense, next time I'll try to talk about maintaining positive game attitude (tired of all the "hey noobs the game is rigged so don't play" threads)!

Edited by el_01, Aug 07 2019 - 23:38.

dunniteowl #12 Posted Aug 08 2019 - 04:36

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Thanks el_01!

El and I talked about some of this.  As his posts are not necessarily aimed at direct game play mechanics and tactics, I have asked him to post this here in this thread as something of an addendum.

I do encourage any and all Fellow Gamers who wish to assist their New and Struggling Fellow Gamers to consider posting your thoughts and ideas as to what helps a New Player to play as well as possible.  If it is not directly game mechanics/tactics/tips/techniques related, though you feel it would be helpful for them, please post them here as well if you think it fits.

Stuff that DOES point players to sources of information that are AIMED AT New and Struggling Players, please also feel free to post it here.  If it fits into the WWP, I will absolutely include it.  If all you have is a link you think will help, post it!

Thanks, Y'all!

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

the_Deadly_Bulb #13 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 19:20

Major

• Players
  • 28616 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
More bumping of a title that needs to be top most pinned. :honoring:

dunniteowl #14 Posted Sep 02 2019 - 22:10

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Hello, Fellow Tankers!

I don't like to toot my own horn all that much, which is why not much beyond the initial post is placed here.  I want to make sure that what is posted here is helpful to my target audience:  The New and/or Struggling-to-Improve Player.  I have been placing, over time, many thoughts down about what I see folks do in this game and what they don't do (and depending on the circumstances, either shouldn't or should, respectively) that impacts their overall match in small ways that most may not realize might be in crucial ways.  At some point in time, I will release what I call, "The Complete Tanker's Guide," however, some of the things I have observed recently made me realize that I probably should point out a few things here for my target audience to chew on a bit when it comes to what you should be doing when the timer hits Zero.

First Suggestion:

Spoiler

Second Suggestion:

Spoiler

Third Suggestion:

Spoiler

Well, I hope you found these Suggestions Useful in any way and if you have others of a similar nature that you think New and/or Struggling-to-Improve Players would be able to use as a helpful, easy to follow tip, suggestion or tactic, please feel free to place them here.  Do your best not to reinvent the wheel when you do.  In other words, look around and ask a around a bit before you post it.  I'd like them to be things few if any have mentioned.

Once again, I promise, if you use the WWP and practice Paying Attention On Purpose, your game will improve.  Take things one or two steps at a time and play at a level or tier where YOU feel most able or enjoyable to play for you and practice getting your game on.  Use the stats to measure your personal improvement, not your bragging rights.  They won't lie to you, kid you or hold your hand and tell you that you deserve better.  Trust them.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

FPTootles #15 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 03:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2100 battles
  • [CITW] CITW

Bump it up!

Thanks Owl!

dunniteowl #16 Posted Yesterday, 07:27 PM

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Just made a few small additions to the Useful Links for Learning section of the Package.

Included now are:  Guido1212's You Tube Channel  AND Banzi duck's You Tube Channel.  Both have very different styles and I am a fan of variety in that I know some folks get more out of one style of presentation than other styles.  Both of these people are very informative in their own ways and are worth time to at least inspect and review to find out if they 'fit' your input style.

In either case, both are good sources of more information with respect to playing the game via reviews of replays.

Check them out!

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Sevensided #17 Posted Yesterday, 10:21 PM

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 550 battles
I just want to say thanks for this, on behalf of new Tankers.

dunniteowl #18 Posted Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

You are most welcome!  I just would like to see players play better and play to their skill level.  I also recognize how HARD it is to find the stuff we need to get going.

I just wanted to save my Fellow Gamers some time looking for it.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users