• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

dunniteowl #1 Posted Dec 02 2018 - 17:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 29220 battles

The WoT Welcome Package

First of all, Welcome to the Madness that is World of Tanks (PC) !  In this Welcome Package you will find:

1) The "WoT Player's Bible"

2) The Prioritization Mantra for Play

3) A short list of "Don't's, please" and a bit of advice

4) Some Useful Links for Learning Things

5) A Bit About Your Garage and the Game Economy

1)  The WoT Player's Bible

Spoiler

2)  With all this stuff comes a lot of stuff to remember!  

Spoiler

3) A few "Don't's Please" and some advice:  

Spoiler

Training:

Only learn one or two New Things at a time.  If you're going to learn to spot, then forget about all that armor angling and getting hull down stuff for now, because it will just get in the way.  Spotting is something to learn as well as those other things.  Most times, you're going to be learning all these new things while hitting "Battle!" and playing.  Which is why I developed the Prioritization Mantra.  Trying to learn something new when you're learning all sorts of new stuff is hard to keep track of what you should be doing right this moment.  The Mantra is your guidepost.

4) Some Useful Links for Learning Things:

Spoiler

5) A Bit About the Game Economy andYour Garage

Spoiler

(more will be added later as I get my stuff better organized)

Other than that, welcome once again and I hope any of this you (and any others) find helpful, useful or of value in some manner for playing.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Jun 17 2019 - 16:56.

YANKEE137 #2 Posted Dec 02 2018 - 17:49

Major

• -Players-
  • 13279 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Perhaps make a Captain America style detention video : " So you say this game is rigged..."

Ironclad73 #3 Posted Dec 02 2018 - 17:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 22303 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
Great tips Owl, good job. Now if the people who need it most could read it, especially the map spammers and the ignorants running around screaming "cheaters" +1

PunCzarBlintz #4 Posted Dec 02 2018 - 19:07

Major

• Players
  • 80217 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
Very well put together!

dunniteowl #5 Posted Dec 02 2018 - 19:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 29220 battles

I figured I had to slightly update the original + I had to stop linking from this or that forum thread.

It was time to place it into the forums with spoiler space added as per a few others' suggestions in order to reduce the Wall of Text Fatigue some mentioned.

Any other additions and add-ons (WITH NEW and SUB-PERFORMING PLAYERS in mind) are always welcome and entertained.  In other words, wordy as I am, I'm intending to keep this focused on the very basics of what it takes to improve your tanking.

Thanks, Y'all!

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Dec 02 2018 - 19:14.

dunniteowl #6 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 16:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 29220 battles

This is a shameless bump to keep it on the front page.  Sorry to any that disapprove (myself included) of bumping threads.  It's only, because I think this one is important enough to do so.

OvO

Po1ar_Gaming #7 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 19:50

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 182 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F
Thanks for recommending this to me. It was a good read. 

dunniteowl #8 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 20:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 29220 battles

View PostIronclad73, on Dec 02 2018 - 10:54, said:

Great tips Owl, good job. Now if the people who need it most could read it, especially the map spammers and the ignorants running around screaming "cheaters" +1

It wouldn't hurt to link them to this when you come across them.  I would most definitely appreciate (as, I imagine, would those you help with providing them the link to this) any assistance from any other Fellow Gamer interested in seeing folks get the materials necessary for them to better understand and learn for playing this game!

OvO

youkali #9 Posted Apr 03 2019 - 23:28

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22920 battles
Very helpful.  Thanks and a bump.

dunniteowl #10 Posted Apr 04 2019 - 00:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 29220 battles

Thanks and You Are Most Welcome!

As a side note to some who think others might benefit.

What I do:

Say I'm playing a match and see someone who seems like they should: Angle during an engagement and just aren't.  You can tell this when they are completely sideways to their opponent presenting their entire flank side of left or right while trading shots in the open, for example.  Another tell tale would be someone trading shots on a corner where they stick out too much of their sides or front to be exposed in order to shoot.  Other tell tales might be traveling out in the open with plenty of cover available, yet failing to use it.

Use your imagination and knowledge to determine if you are seeing someone who lacks knowledge of game mechanics or basic tactics.

At the end of such a match, I will then check the After Battle Report, click on the player in question and look at their Player Profile.  If their WR is less than 48%, then perhaps they could use a hand with knowing where to get that information.  At that point, I will go to this page in the Newcomer's Section and copy the link address to this particular thread.

Then I "Send Message" to the player and type something like this:

Hi!  I noticed you seemed to be struggling in that last match.  I checked your stats and thought maybe you could use this:  (hit Enter)

Copy Paste the link to the WoT Welcome Package (hit Enter)

Then I type:  This comes from the WoT Official Forums and was put together to help New and Struggling Players learn more about the Game.  Hope you find it useful!  GL, HF & HSYBF! (hit Enter).

I have yet to have someone tell me in return to FO or anything negative.  I have made four new friends in game due to doing this and have also been hailed by players I don't know who know me from the forums for my helpful and thoughtful posts, so perhaps it's a decent method to provide this sort of information to those players who you can tell have a hard time with the basic mechanics and tactics of the game.

I am STILL OPEN to suggestions on what NEW PLAYERS should know that I can add to this Package.   Just bear in mind that we are not trying to overwhelm these folks with everything under the WoT Sun.  It is and should be limited to the Primary or Core Essential Information to be able to understand how the game works and how to operate at a basic level of competency while playing.

Thanks, Y'all!

GL, HF & HSYBF! (Hope to See You on the Battle Field)

OvO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users