KV-2 Advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

BadTiger62 #1 Posted Dec 03 2018 - 02:59

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1489 battles
The KV-2 has been the most unforgiving tank that I have played in my short time in WOT. I fought my way into it and now I want to fight my way out of it. Do any of you KV-2 experts have any advice for me. My crew is at or over 100% and I have upgraded the tank to its full potential. I don't load much premium ammo but it seems you have to have it in this tank in the fights where you are against two tier senior tanks. Im not a fan of fighting two tier higher tanks in any battle but it seems the way the designers want it. One tier higher or lower seems fair but two is very frustrating. Ok, back to the matter at hand. The tank is slow and reload is 10 seconds so it does not flank well unless everyone is busy and I mean really really busy.  Any advice would be appreciated.

CygnusX2 #2 Posted Dec 03 2018 - 03:03

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 14019 battles
  • [H8-ME] H8-ME
Just don't aim, ever. Snapshot everything. 

kebab6597 #3 Posted Dec 03 2018 - 03:15

Major

• Players
  • 56273 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
Do not load premium or AP ammo use the 152mm gun and HE only and don,t worry about aiming just point let the aim circle reduce just a fraction and shoot then back out until reloaded KV-2 doesn't worry about tier difference it would happily fight tanks 4 tiers above it as long as it can avoid being hit

Kramah313 #4 Posted Dec 03 2018 - 03:19

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2752 battles
  • [_TPR_] _TPR_

I am no great player but a couple of things jump out at me from your post. First, you mention a 10 second reload. That would indicate you might be using the 107mm gun on it. I would put the 152 mm derp gun on it. Both guns are inaccurate but the 152 does enormous damage even if it does not penetrate when using HE rounds. Which brings me to the point about premium ammo, you shouldn’t need it. Maybe once in a while when you want to guarantee a hit against something with medium armor, but I found the most success with my KV-2R (which is basically the same thing) by shooting purely HE. If you do penetrate, you can do up to about 1000 damage in one hit. If you don’t, expect around 300 depending on how thick the armor you hit is. 

With this gun your reload is more like 20 seconds. It’s not accurate but you only need to hit the enemy rather than aiming for exact points. Pop out somewhere, unload a shot, then disappear. Try to poke out somewhere else for the next one. If you watch videos of good players in KV-2s they usually aren’t parked in one spot holding enemies off like you might in a KV-1. They keep moving and surprising the enemy with a serving of derp at opportune times. It’s a fun tank but you definitely have to get used to the playstyle. Good luck!

RC_1140 #5 Posted Dec 03 2018 - 03:22

Major

• Players
  • 60370 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
HE only and be very careful with your shots. Hitting r once is nice. 

_1204_ #6 Posted Dec 03 2018 - 03:23

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 771 battles

View PostBadTiger62, on Dec 03 2018 - 02:59, said:

The KV-2 has been the most unforgiving tank that I have played in my short time in WOT. I fought my way into it and now I want to fight my way out of it. Do any of you KV-2 experts have any advice for me. My crew is at or over 100% and I have upgraded the tank to its full potential. I don't load much premium ammo but it seems you have to have it in this tank in the fights where you are against two tier senior tanks. Im not a fan of fighting two tier higher tanks in any battle but it seems the way the designers want it. One tier higher or lower seems fair but two is very frustrating. Ok, back to the matter at hand. The tank is slow and reload is 10 seconds so it does not flank well unless everyone is busy and I mean really really busy.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Just a few questions...

Why are you personally playing kv2? It's kinda a dead end tank. Unless you want to jump in tier 6 arty which is a bad idea... if you have it for the lols, I cant blame ya.

also it appears you aren't using the 152 (judging by your 10 second reload comment). You need to use the 152 on it. It has a much longer reload, but it really is the only gun that suits kv2. Pop out, blap someone with 152 mm of communism and pull back.

if you need a ton buddy to help show you where to go, add me. I have the kv2 r 

vyle02 #7 Posted Dec 03 2018 - 03:28

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 29077 battles
  • [HARM] HARM
You are using the wrong gun, use the 152mm and shoot he, its cheap, does good damage all the time, the reload is long, just hide until you are ready, dont aim, just shoot HE and hide

BadTiger62 #8 Posted Dec 03 2018 - 04:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1489 battles
Thanks, yes not using the 152 will add it just seemed like very long reload time but I see the tactic now...thanks everyone

3nr0n #9 Posted Dec 03 2018 - 19:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19306 battles

Never be alone in the KV2 stay with team mates so they can cover you while you reload the 152.  Arty loves a KV2 in the open especially one that has just fired.  If you do find yourself alone find a spot where you can keep arty safe and keep the barrel pointed at the expected lane of enemy approach.

The 152 with HE and only HE IMHO works best and don't worry about pen point and shoot. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users