• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

AverageWannabe #1 Posted Dec 03 2018 - 04:07

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 716 battles
  • [-GTF-] -GTF-

Pretty darn epic... 

I accept suggestions to improve my game, still sucking at it.

Enjoy.

Edit, i dont have permission to upload the file, and that sucks too. Sorry.

Mods, please delete this post.

Edited by AverageWannabe, Dec 03 2018 - 04:10.

banziduck #2 Posted Dec 03 2018 - 15:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19743 battles
  • [XFOGX] XFOGX

Put the replay on WOT replays and post the link.

Cheers

AverageWannabe #3 Posted Dec 04 2018 - 01:56

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 716 battles
  • [-GTF-] -GTF-

View Postbanziduck, on Dec 03 2018 - 10:23, said:

Put the replay on WOT replays and post the link.

Cheers

Thanks for the tip, here is the link

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4653959#highway-averagewannabe-type_64

banziduck #4 Posted Dec 04 2018 - 13:16

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19743 battles
  • [XFOGX] XFOGX

Cool will look at it tonight after work.

Cheers

the_Deadly_Bulb #5 Posted Dec 04 2018 - 22:22

Major

• Players
  • 23108 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostAverageWannabe, on Dec 03 2018 - 16:56, said:

Thanks for the tip, here is the link

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4653959#highway-averagewannabe-type_64

Watched the replay.

Here's my analysis.

First lets answer the question you asked in game.

In the opening you ask about how long you will remain a smurf.

Smurfdom lasts until you do enough damage to OPFOR tanks to counter your recent team damage.

The best way to make it go away fast is to shoot at as many red tanks as possible and do as much damage to OPFOR as you can.

Avoid  Smurfdom in the first place, don't shoot or damage the green tanks.

That's the best answer I can provide on Smurfdom

Something else I think you need to be aware of, from observing your play.

I don't know your map settings, but I advise keeping it one step down from the max size.

The map is your friend. Look at your friend a lot.

Especially in an LT.

Map awareness is a lot in this game and its the job of an LT to provide it to the team.

Now lets discuss your round in the Type 64 on Highway.

Early on @ 14:07 you go for cover behind a building.

This negates your ability to spot the A line, which is vital at this point in the match.

You stay there, hidden, blind and without benefit to your team until 13:28.

That's way to long to be idle and hiding in a LT scout.

I know, you were typing.

Stow the chat and get into the fight, you can message players and ask questions after the match or here. Your timing to be in chat was terrible IMO.

On this map as it is now in a LT I like to try to get early spots on OPFOR as they cross the map on the A line. I can usually do this without being seen from behind the bushes @ E3 next to the long building that conceals you from their cap. Its even quite safe to take shots from there if you do it correctly (keep those bushes opaque when you fire, pull up and keep them clear as you reload)  this keeps the OPFOR lit for your team mates.

Shoot down that billboard too, it blocks your view a bit, but stay concealed. Keep those bushes opaque!

@ 13:06 your team is fighting hard up in the A1 corner, but you're not in it, and have yet to fire.

Instead you begin to drive away, leaving your team mates to die. This also leaves your TDs and arty blind infront of advancing OPFOR vehicles that have eyes and superior numbers.

As you retreat you allow a T-50-2 to invade.

It lights and targets your TDs and arty.

They are now helpless and out gunned.

Your Type 64 could easily take out the T-50-2, it has an outstanding gun.

Your TD team mates likely would have assisted you.

You beat a hasty retreat.

@ 12:37 remaining you have still not fired a shot or spotted an OPFOR vehicle.

You have spent a lot of time running away.

You head for the city.

@ 11:50 you fire your first shot. It does a bit of damage to the Heavy, but that costs you 1/2 your HP when the Heavy retaliates.

You have yet to spot anything.

Spotting is the primary function and strength of the Type 64.

The city was a poor choice.

By the time you're destroyed you have fired 3 rounds and hit on each.

You have done 303 damage (quite inconsequential) and taken out 1 gun, but to be certain that 1 gun was also of little consequence to your opponents.

You have spotted no targets for your team and have no assisted damage as a result.

303 damage and no spots on your Type 64 is part of the reason this was a defeat for your team.

You spent way too much time running away.

You didn't exploit your VR or your camo.

The gun doesn't work when its pointed the other way.

This is not stellar scouting.

The Type 64 is a stellar (some would even say OP) scout.

You had a poor round in your Type 64.

A bit more aggression and a lot more map awareness and less retreating is recommended.  :honoring:

AverageWannabe #6 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 02:11

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 716 battles
  • [-GTF-] -GTF-

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Dec 04 2018 - 17:22, said:

Watched the replay.

Here's my analysis.

[...]

A bit more aggression and a lot more map awareness and less retreating is recommended.  :honoring:

Thanks a bunch, i appreciate your time and suggestions... very helpful. Will definitely concentrate more on map awareness from now on.

To be honest this wasn't really a game in which I put much effort.... I should have though. That's why I kept chatting at the beginning. My bad.

When I ran away from the upper west corner was because I saw that the battle was irremediable lost over there, so I thought I needed to just survive and not waste my gun in an already doomed fight. It seems that you see otherwise tho...

I still am not sure if we had a chance in that front since the enemy was implacable and very effective in contrast to my team that was kind of overwhelmed. So I ran to the city cause there was the other front that seemed still winnable though the battle was already lost to my view. Maybe I am wrong... can you elaborate about how could we had won the upper west area? Cause I still can't see the solution.

What does OPFOR mean btw?

Cheers and thank you.

Edited by AverageWannabe, Dec 05 2018 - 05:32.

the_Deadly_Bulb #7 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 02:42

Major

• Players
  • 23108 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostAverageWannabe, on Dec 04 2018 - 17:11, said:

Thanks a bunch, i appreciate your time and suggestions... very helpful. Will definitely concentrate more in map awareness from now on.

To be honest this wasn't really a game in which I put much effort.... I should have though. That's why I kept chatting at the beginning. My bad.

When I ran away from the upper west corner was because I saw that the battle was irremediable lost over there, so I thought I needed to just survive and not waste my gun in an already doomed fight. It seems that you see otherwise tho...

I still am not sure if we had a chance in that front since the enemy was implacable and very effective in contrast to my team that was kind of overwhelmed. So I ran to the city cause there was the other front that seemed still winnable though the battle was already lost to my view. Maybe I am wrong... can you elaborate about how could we had won the upper west area? Cause I still can't see the solution.

What does OPFOR mean btw?

Cheers and thank you.

I think if you had been in it there may have been a better chance.

More guns is always gooder.

Try getting to the E3 spot I mentioned next time and see if you don't have a better round. You will find that a very good spot I think.

Your TDs may have had a better chance if you had been lighting the approaching reds.

I do think you could have dealt with that T-50-2 as well.

I would have started by tracking him, and calling for focus fire, then rammed another round into him as he was turning to face you.

The Type 64 has a good gun.

Your HE on a Type 64 can pen a T-50-2 in the hull and deliver a crippling 185 HP of damage.

Both AP and APCR on the Type can cut holes through a T-50-2 and he was side on to you. I think you could have locked onto him and taken it out solo, with some TD support you'd have had him for certain.

OPFOR is Opposing Force AKA the Red tanks

banziduck #8 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 03:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19743 battles
  • [XFOGX] XFOGX

If your ok with it I would like to do a video analysis on this for you and post on my Youtube channel as I can give you thoughts while the game is being played.

You cal let me know.

Cheers

Edited by banziduck, Dec 05 2018 - 03:08.

AverageWannabe #9 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 04:39

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 716 battles
  • [-GTF-] -GTF-

View Postbanziduck, on Dec 04 2018 - 22:08, said:

If your ok with it I would like to do a video analysis on this for you and post on my Youtube channel as I can give you thoughts while the game is being played.

You cal let me know.

Cheers

of course! Go ahead. Would love to have more insights on my playing, all I want is to learn how to play this darned game the good way lol

Post the link so I can watch it please.

Thanks a bunch

Edited by AverageWannabe, Dec 05 2018 - 04:40.

death_stryker #10 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 05:06

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID

Trying to format a response to so much information is too much work! Just gonna spew out my thoughts after reading this thread, in no particular order:

- Blue = bad. Shoot red tanks, not green tanks. Even if the green tanks happen to not be your allies.

- Firing HE at a T-50-2 is a bad idea. Stick to AP.

- The E3 bushes are very good as an opening play. If you make sure that bushes are always between you and enemy lines of sight, and you don't fire, you won't be spotted. There, you will usually get some important early spotting.

- If you think a flank is lost, you should still try to get as much out of it as possible, instead of run away immediately. The hills at D1 and G1 are good places to work your gun depression and/or get some vision before running away for good.

- It's possible that your team would have done better had you been in a supporting position like the D1 hill. 

- If an enemy light has advanced way too far, such that the other enemies are unable to support them, the best play is usually to take them out, since you have the positional and numerical (i.e. teammates) advantage.

- You are right that supporting the winnable flank is the best play. Never isolate yourself when you have a choice.

- I think you underestimate the importance of spotting, as many less experienced players do. WoT is, at its most basic, a game about outpositioning your opponents. The first requirement to outposition anyone is to know where they are in the first place—vision. Furthermore, as a light tank, you are reliant on the firepower of your teammates; how can they shoot what they can't see?

AverageWannabe #11 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 05:14

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 716 battles
  • [-GTF-] -GTF-

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Dec 04 2018 - 21:42, said:

I think if you had been in it there may have been a better chance.

More guns is always gooder.

Try getting to the E3 spot I mentioned next time and see if you don't have a better round. You will find that a very good spot I think.

Your TDs may have had a better chance if you had been lighting the approaching reds.

I do think you could have dealt with that T-50-2 as well.

I would have started by tracking him, and calling for focus fire, then rammed another round into him as he was turning to face you.

The Type 64 has a good gun.

Your HE on a Type 64 can pen a T-50-2 in the hull and deliver a crippling 185 HP of damage.

Both AP and APCR on the Type can cut holes through a T-50-2 and he was side on to you. I think you could have locked onto him and taken it out solo, with some TD support you'd have had him for certain.

OPFOR is Opposing Force AKA the Red tanks

Thank you.

I just watched the replay again and you are absolutely right, that T-50-2 was totally doable and I would have saved the SU. I screwed up. I believe I didnt even realized that at the moment, I was kind of just running away.

I think I need to play more calmly, not that rushy, it is hard though cause I kind of tend to rush into things sometimes. Good opportunity to practice a more reflective approach.

Will check out that spot next time, looks promising.

Take care

AverageWannabe #12 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 05:26

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 716 battles
  • [-GTF-] -GTF-

View Postdeath_stryker, on Dec 05 2018 - 00:06, said:

Trying to format a response to so much information is too much work! Just gonna spew out my thoughts after reading this thread, in no particular order:

- Blue = bad. Shoot red tanks, not green tanks. Even if the green tanks happen to not be your allies.

- Firing HE at a T-50-2 is a bad idea. Stick to AP.

- The E3 bushes are very good as an opening play. If you make sure that bushes are always between you and enemy lines of sight, and you don't fire, you won't be spotted. There, you will usually get some important early spotting.

- If you think a flank is lost, you should still try to get as much out of it as possible, instead of run away immediately. The hills at D1 and G1 are good places to work your gun depression and/or get some vision before running away for good.

- It's possible that your team would have done better had you been in a supporting position like the D1 hill. 

- If an enemy light has advanced way too far, such that the other enemies are unable to support them, the best play is usually to take them out, since you have the positional and numerical (i.e. teammates) advantage.

- You are right that supporting the winnable flank is the best play. Never isolate yourself when you have a choice.

- I think you underestimate the importance of spotting, as many less experienced players do. WoT is, at its most basic, a game about outpositioning your opponents. The first requirement to outposition anyone is to know where they are in the first place—vision. Furthermore, as a light tank, you are reliant on the firepower of your teammates; how can they shoot what they can't see?

Thank you very much for your input, very helpful. Will pay attention to the D1 and G1 spot next time.

I feel that currently my biggest problem is not knowing the maps. Most of the times I find myself not having a clue about where to go, so I kind of play them randomly and rely mostly on luck, kind of finding a good spot by chance. I wish I could play the same map over and over so I could become familiar with them... It is quite hard to get to know the maps if you play a different one each time.

I'm trying to learn spotting techniques as well, but again I think positioning is key, so.... I need to get familiar with each map asap.

Take care.

Edited by AverageWannabe, Dec 05 2018 - 05:26.

banziduck #13 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 04:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19743 battles
  • [XFOGX] XFOGX

Ok video is up at my site here is the link hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/FBZP0B-HULM

Cheers

AverageWannabe #14 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 22:17

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 716 battles
  • [-GTF-] -GTF-

View Postbanziduck, on Dec 05 2018 - 23:03, said:

Ok video is up at my site here is the link hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/FBZP0B-HULM

Cheers

Hey there! Many many thanks for the video! Lots of good hints... will watch it a couple more times. Sadly it is not the best replay for such a good analysis cause I didn't put much effort in the battle to be honest, in fact when I pulled behind that building and stayed there doing nothing at the beginning of the match I was writing on the chat about something totally irrelevant to the battle. But despite of that, there are a bunch of very useful suggestions that I will definitely adopt.

4tankersanddog is one of my two favorite WOT youtube channels the other one being LemmingRush. Your analysis was kickass tho, I think you should do that more often with other noobs here, maybe ask for replays and select the most entertaining for your analysis. I bet you'll get a whole lot of views. Normally the replay analysis that other players do on youtube are all from very good players, and that doesn't help us noobs really, cause we are still learning the strategy basics. I dunno, just an idea...  Maybe you could call the series "World of Tanks - A Noob's Tale - Chapter 1" or something like that...

I have this other replay that i think might be very useful for a review cause though it is a good match I made a lot of very common noobie mistakes as the deadly bulb pointed out... 

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4654854#pilsen-averagewannabe-a-20

Have a great day and thanks again!

Take care

Edited by AverageWannabe, Dec 07 2018 - 00:45.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users