Jumping Recticle - fix it please

recticle; jumping cursor bug

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Jasper_Seven #1 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 05:38

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22994 battles
So a tank by a building goes out of view/ sighting (i.e. blinks invisible) and my cursor which was snapped to the tank jumps up 5 degrees. Ok, no problem, just bring the recticle down. But the recticle either jumps below where the invisible tank would be or up. So, I try side to side - as I pan across, it jumps up over the invisible tank. I jockey my tank up and back a bit - maybe mine is tilted funny? Nope - this enemy tank has a magic shield preventing blind shots. So, I give up and move on.  But, this is the first time I've seen this bug, and it would really suck to ever see it again.

_1204_ #2 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 06:01

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 924 battles

2 scenarios for a fairly vague description...

1. There is an occasional bug where your cursor may jerk. AFAIK it is really prevalent on Overlord (maybe only on that map idk). I think it happened to me once, but I just re-adjusted and moved on
  2. The second is my better guess. In WoT, aiming at a tank automatically corrects your shell trajectory. Without a full physics lesson, heres the basic. Gravity pulls your shell down so you have to aim higher, right? Thats why scopes have the distance  marks underneath the cross hairs (simply put). In wot, aiming at something automatically calculates the necessary gun elevation to hit. What this means, is when you are not aiming your gun at a tank, you are point your gun at the cursor, but the aiming circle is where your shell will land, and it is a bit lower. Very noticeable at long distances. However when you mouse over a tank, it corrects itself so the aiming circle is aimed at the tank, and on your cursor. Sounds negligible, but it has tripped me up a few times. Fun fact... this same idea lets you shoot over ridge lines. Especially with howitzers, its possible for a non-arty to kill a tank without LoS

Little confusing I know, but without replays its only speculation

death_stryker #3 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 06:19

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID

1. This phenomenon is intentional, and is caused by the way reticle positioning works. Your reticle position is always at the location of your shell at the distance of the "true target" of your reticle - what your cursor is actually pointing at (sky, mountains, etc.). This target is not necessarily what you were trying to aim for; in fact, it can be a location outside the map, which can cause the reticle's position to be unexpected due to the massive shell drop caused by the distance of this true target.

However, this effect is only visual, since your reticle is, in reality, simply aimed at a location behind the unspotted tank. Your shell will still go through the location where you were aiming (thus hitting the tank); all the reticle tells you is that, should your shell keep on going, it would eventually hit where your reticle is, at the distance of whatever you were actually aiming at.

TL;DR: In this situation, use your cursor/aimpoint and not your reticle to aim. Your shots will still fly true.

2. A possibility in specific locations on certain maps, that causes the same phenomenon by the same principle, is bad hitbox modeling on certain indestructible objects. Presumably because of the modeling differences between graphics settings, some objects have horrific hitbox models which extend beyond the visual representation of the object. Basically, you are aiming at a transparent object at point blank range, but when you move your reticle away from the object you are suddenly aiming hundreds of meters away, causing the same shell-drop difference to be shown visually. This phenomenon can in fact be used to your advantage: if the expected reticle drop (corresponding to shell drop) is not seen when aiming at a faraway object, it's possible that you're aiming at a bad hitbox.

dnaman #4 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 12:33

Captain

• Players
  • 32163 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY
No, I’ve seen this repeatedly when tanks are near ridgelines.  Last time was definitely om overlord.  Youbliterally cannot get the gun to point at where the shell needs to go.  It’s incredibly annoying when you see it.  It’s been a bug for a long time and Wargaming needs to fix it..

leeuniverse #5 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 04:09

Major

• Players
  • 38646 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

Yes, this has been a problem since 0.8.11.... when I was likely the first on the forum to point it out.

Mods were created to fix it, first a "manual" version, and then an Automatic version.

The auto one doesn't generally work anymore, he added a bunch of crap and it generally hasn't worked since.

Tried to have the developer just create the original mod which worked perfectly, but he's too into what he's doing or whatever, and too busy with other things to fix the mod properly.

It's "intentional" because Wargaming is incompetent.  If mods can fix it, so could they.

If the game didn't do it "before" 0.8.11, it could be done again.

Captain_Rownd #6 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 05:44

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3064 battles

View Postdnaman, on Dec 05 2018 - 01:33, said:

No, I’ve seen this repeatedly when tanks are near ridgelines.  Last time was definitely om overlord.  Youbliterally cannot get the gun to point at where the shell needs to go.  It’s incredibly annoying when you see it.  It’s been a bug for a long time and Wargaming needs to fix it..

I'm sure most maps have the same problem.  It was most annoying for me on the Frontline map, sometimes making it impossible to aim at a tank peeking over the edge of a hill. 

FearTheBadger #7 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 15:04

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17087 battles
  • [R_I_R] R_I_R

View Postdnaman, on Dec 05 2018 - 12:33, said:

I have seen this also especially on the map you have mentioned in your post.  Aiming at tank on ridge line can be difficult at time.  Also have seen this happen some tank streamers on twitch 

Jasper_Seven #8 Posted Dec 07 2018 - 06:10

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22994 battles

I've played at least a few games. This was the first time it had ever happened. It was on Overlord.  I was able to repeat it on the south side, near the top of one of the ramps up from the beach with the tank pointed north, or on the second occasion, the TD.

This was not game mechanics - except if at that location the program is interpreting the tank as tipping on the mesh or something like this.

The second time I just pulled farther forward on the terrain, but it meant I was more exposed and on flatter terrain...

I'm thinking it has to be a modeling bug.

Also tagged with recticle;, jumping, cursor, bug

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users