Jump to content


IS7 gun handling


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

SOB_Tenato #1 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 15:53

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 22165 battles
  • 525
  • Member since:
    07-28-2014

Seeking advice from the elders on this forum about a thing that has me intrigued. I recently started playing heavies again as so I took out the mighty E100 for a spin. Lots of fun! Then I went off to the battle on my IS7 and was not that fun. In both cases and for personal testing purposes I had some premium ammo loaded but did not used it. I wanted to test regular AP performance.

 

I was surprised to see that the E100 with 7 less penetration and its well know awful accuracy will pen more often while IS7 will bounce lower plates and soft spots as if they were 350mm thick. Seeing this made me try with premium. With full aimed green reticle, even the prem ammo would bounce except when really close to target. Thought it might be just RNG trolling me but it was pretty much the same along the 15 games I played yesterday. Is there any word of advice on how to manage the gun on the IS7? The rest of the tank is a pleasure to play with with that turret and sidescrapping capabilities. It's just the gun I hate so far XD

 

Thank you.

 

 


Edited by SOB_Tenato, Dec 05 2018 - 15:56.


Panman69 #2 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 16:01

    Captain

  • Players
  • 35038 battles
  • 1,698
  • Member since:
    05-30-2012

View PostSOB_Tenato, on Dec 05 2018 - 14:53, said:

Seeking advice from the elders on this forum about a thing that has me intrigued. I recently started playing heavies again as so I took out the mighty E100 for a spin. Lots of fun! Then I went off to the battle on my IS7 and was not that fun. In both cases and for personal testing purposes I had some premium ammo loaded but did not used it. I wanted to test regular AP performance.

 

I was surprised to see that the E100 with 7 less penetration and its well know awful accuracy will pen more often while IS7 will bounce lower plates and soft spots as if they were 350mm thick. Seeing this made me try with premium. With full aimed green reticle, even the prem ammo would bounce except when really close to target. Thought it might be just RNG trolling me but it was pretty much the same along the 15 games I played yesterday. Is there any word of advice on how to manage the gun on the IS7? The rest of the tank is a pleasure to play with with that turret and sidescrapping capabilities. It's just the gun I hate so far XD

 

Thank you.

 

 

 

Will need replays.

But, my initial guess, without any other information, is that you were shooting two different tanks or tank types with the E100 and IS7. So, maybe the tank you shot with the E100 had less armor and possibly driven by a less-than-skilled player. Whereas, with the IS7, you were shooting a heavily armored tank driven by a highly skilled player who knew how to angle.



SOB_Tenato #3 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 16:28

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 22165 battles
  • 525
  • Member since:
    07-28-2014

View PostPanman69, on Dec 05 2018 - 16:01, said:

 

Will need replays.

But, my initial guess, without any other information, is that you were shooting two different tanks or tank types with the E100 and IS7. So, maybe the tank you shot with the E100 had less armor and possibly driven by a less-than-skilled player. Whereas, with the IS7, you were shooting a heavily armored tank driven by a highly skilled player who knew how to angle.

 

Tanks I shot were pretty much the same. The usual bunch of 277, 430U, Obj140, other E100s, Type5's and other IS7s, some T57 Heavy, 110E3, etc. This was on a span of around 15-20 games with each tank. What I'm saying is that pen indicator was fully green and reticle fully aimed. Both tanks have crews at 100% with BiA, and 2 other skills (recon + repairs 1st the specific for each role, etc) Rammer, GLD and Vents. 

Edited by SOB_Tenato, Dec 05 2018 - 16:29.


Almighty_Johnson #4 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 16:39

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 22938 battles
  • 2,107
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    11-10-2014

I hate my IS7, personally.  I find the gun terribly unreliable.  It's probably just me, but I notice a similar situation.  I bounce everything, but nobody bounces off me....

But like I said, I suck, so it's probably just me....



SOB_Tenato #5 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 16:56

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 22165 battles
  • 525
  • Member since:
    07-28-2014

View PostAlmighty_Johnson, on Dec 05 2018 - 16:39, said:

I hate my IS7, personally.  I find the gun terribly unreliable.  It's probably just me, but I notice a similar situation.  I bounce everything, but nobody bounces off me....

But like I said, I suck, so it's probably just me....

 

Exactly this! You nailed it man. My experience is simillar. Full hulldown fight to last, or get vaporized by enemies you cannot fend off! I end up shooting HE in dispair! lol

Case_N_Point #6 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 17:29

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 24330 battles
  • 430
  • Member since:
    10-19-2012
The E100 sits taller so when you're aiming at someone in close proximity you are shooting down on them negating sloped armor at times.  Hence lower pen seeming like it works better than the IS-7.  The IS-7 has a low profile so you either have to shoot at lower weakspots or rotate around (or use gold lol).  Don't side scrape much in the IS-7.  If you can, hide your LFP and face head on.  That's how to play it successfully.

SOB_Tenato #7 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 17:56

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 22165 battles
  • 525
  • Member since:
    07-28-2014

View PostCase_N_Point, on Dec 05 2018 - 17:29, said:

The E100 sits taller so when you're aiming at someone in close proximity you are shooting down on them negating sloped armor at times.  Hence lower pen seeming like it works better than the IS-7.  The IS-7 has a low profile so you either have to shoot at lower weakspots or rotate around (or use gold lol).  Don't side scrape much in the IS-7.  If you can, hide your LFP and face head on.  That's how to play it successfully.

 

Thank you so much. Hulldown is what I've been doing with some sidescrapping vs lower tiers. Will keep practicing the low view softspots! I love that thing and also the E100. Pure fun.

SporkBoy #8 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 19:10

    Captain

  • Players
  • 38750 battles
  • 1,127
  • [PZB] PZB
  • Member since:
    02-06-2014
Doing that E100 grind and finally unlocking the tank but still needing 64k XP for the big gun ... SMH.

KRZYBooP #9 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 19:40

    Community Coordinator

  • Administrator
  • 3371 battles
  • -216
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    08-10-2015

View PostSOB_Tenato, on Dec 05 2018 - 08:53, said:

Seeking advice from the elders on this forum about a thing that has me intrigued. I recently started playing heavies again as so I took out the mighty E100 for a spin. Lots of fun! Then I went off to the battle on my IS7 and was not that fun. In both cases and for personal testing purposes I had some premium ammo loaded but did not used it. I wanted to test regular AP performance.

 

I was surprised to see that the E100 with 7 less penetration and its well know awful accuracy will pen more often while IS7 will bounce lower plates and soft spots as if they were 350mm thick. Seeing this made me try with premium. With full aimed green reticle, even the prem ammo would bounce except when really close to target. Thought it might be just RNG trolling me but it was pretty much the same along the 15 games I played yesterday. Is there any word of advice on how to manage the gun on the IS7? The rest of the tank is a pleasure to play with with that turret and sidescrapping capabilities. It's just the gun I hate so far XD

 

Thank you.

 

 

 

Keep in mind that the green reticle doesn't account for angles. This means that you can bounce or ricochet with a green indicator on your tank.

 

Many players ask for replays since the ballistics for this game are so intricate and go through many checks before damage is applied. 

 

If you haven't had the chance check out my KBS tanking videos HERE.

 

Also check out Tanks.gg as a resource for live armor vs gun pen values. 



oldewolfe #10 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 02:41

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 19258 battles
  • 3,041
  • [1STBN] 1STBN
  • Member since:
    11-08-2014

https://youtu.be/bmc9bQL7s7g

 

https://youtu.be/pppKA6A7vzI

 

There not Great, but they were Fun.....     This may give you an Idea or 2.....



Kramah313 #11 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 03:53

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 2753 battles
  • 61
  • [_TPR_] _TPR_
  • Member since:
    01-26-2018
Everyone always says the reticle doesn’t account for angles, but mine seems to. If a tank is sidescraping, the weak side armor gives me a red indicator. Plus a Strv S1 is all red indicators from the front to even my Lowe. With 30mm armor, I think the reason is the angle. I’ve seen a green circle aiming at the side of a turret that then turns red at the same spot when they turn it. I don’t think it takes loss of pen over distance into account or overmatch mechanics though. 

hamd996 #12 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 03:56

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 39014 battles
  • 64
  • [-G-] -G-
  • Member since:
    06-10-2012
Yeah i thought it showed angle. I might have been playing this game wrong i guess

Dig_Baddy #13 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 05:43

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 10848 battles
  • 302
  • [TTRP-] TTRP-
  • Member since:
    10-25-2013
IS-7 needs AP and APCR pen buff. It's the only tank in my garage i regret buying. I would rather play the M3 Lee.

Dig_Baddy #14 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 05:45

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 10848 battles
  • 302
  • [TTRP-] TTRP-
  • Member since:
    10-25-2013

View PostAlmighty_Johnson, on Dec 06 2018 - 01:39, said:

I hate my IS7, personally.  I find the gun terribly unreliable.  It's probably just me, but I notice a similar situation.  I bounce everything, but nobody bounces off me....

But like I said, I suck, so it's probably just me....

 

Not just you. The tank is utterly terrible and the only way to have a chance to pen is loading all APCR. You can't use AP in the IS-7 if you want to do good. But even then. APCR is still utter crap. 303? Really? I only get an orange marker on Type 5's front when aiming down with that..

death_stryker #15 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 09:23

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • 367
  • [LUCID] LUCID
  • Member since:
    05-23-2014

View PostKramah313, on Dec 05 2018 - 19:53, said:

Everyone always says the reticle doesn’t account for angles, but mine seems to. If a tank is sidescraping, the weak side armor gives me a red indicator. Plus a Strv S1 is all red indicators from the front to even my Lowe. With 30mm armor, I think the reason is the angle. I’ve seen a green circle aiming at the side of a turret that then turns red at the same spot when they turn it. I don’t think it takes loss of pen over distance into account or overmatch mechanics though. 

The pen indicator does account for the angle. In the past, it didn't, but in a recent update (can't remember which one) that was changed. Overmatch and pen loss over distance are both accounted for.

 

The reasons shots can still bounce when the indicator is green are:

- RNG on shell dispersion - where you aim may not be where you hit

- Movement of target after your shell is fired - change in angle and/or distance



TheManFromKekistan #16 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 09:53

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 28 battles
  • 1,284
  • Member since:
    02-03-2017

View PostCase_N_Point, on Dec 05 2018 - 11:29, said:

The E100 sits taller so when you're aiming at someone in close proximity you are shooting down on them negating sloped armor at times.  Hence lower pen seeming like it works better than the IS-7.  The IS-7 has a low profile so you either have to shoot at lower weakspots or rotate around (or use gold lol).  Don't side scrape much in the IS-7.  If you can, hide your LFP and face head on.  That's how to play it successfully.

 

I was going to post exactly this. The e100 is going to have many more chances to pen a tank given how its almost always shooting down vs the is7 sometimes having to shoot up which greatly increases the angle of impact.

SOB_Tenato #17 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 15:07

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 22165 battles
  • 525
  • Member since:
    07-28-2014

View PostKRZYBooP, on Dec 05 2018 - 19:40, said:

 

Keep in mind that the green reticle doesn't account for angles. This means that you can bounce or ricochet with a green indicator on your tank.

 

Many players ask for replays since the ballistics for this game are so intricate and go through many checks before damage is applied. 

 

If you haven't had the chance check out my KBS tanking videos HERE.

 

Also check out Tanks.gg as a resource for live armor vs gun pen values. 

 

Thank you!

SOB_Tenato #18 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 15:21

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 22165 battles
  • 525
  • Member since:
    07-28-2014
Thank you all guys. I think that after all the great insights you put into this thread, plus some videos and such I've seen, my conclusion is that I will keep it parked (maybe sell it If I need the silver sometime lol) until they fix the gun on this tank. If you cant rely on your gun on a tanks game you are toasted lol. Yesterday saved the skin by mirale. Got surrounded as many other tanks in team were taken out. I come to the point I'm facehugging a Tortoise with low HP so I aim (full contact) at its hughe cupola (fully aimed green reticle) and my shell would exit the barrell hitting at my reticle left border (wth??), not center, hence BOUNCING the Tortoise turret. Took 2 more hits to kill it. Will keep developing the Brit line as guns that hit hard, are accurate and reload fast are my favorite XD   

Edited by SOB_Tenato, Dec 06 2018 - 15:23.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users