Disappearing Tank

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

snailcrusher #1 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 18:17

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 67 battles

The other day I was playing the game.

I was happily firing away at a tank in an open field in sniper mode from behind a bush.  After putting two rounds into it and getting ready to put a third, the tank just disappeared.  There was no where it could have hid.  I was then distracted when I came under fire from a second tank.  No idea what happened to the tank I was shooting at.  Was this a glitch?  Did it suddenly turn on camo?

Thank You    

FrontenacDuVandoo #2 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 18:22

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10017 battles

Spotting mechanics in this game are not as simple as just having a line of sight.

Watch this if you haven't.

Btw, a tank going invisible doesn't mean you can't shoot it. If the tank was immobile it's worth taking a shot at the position again, chance are you will hit it.

Always fun to kill invisible tanks.

banziduck #3 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 18:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19760 battles
  • [XFOGX] XFOGX

Without a replay it is hard to say but I would guess that the tanks camo value was higher than your spotting and thus it disappeared, kinda like a Heavy shooting at a light then the light goes dark.

Cheers

MiddleAgedNoob #4 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 18:23

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13252 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View Postsnailcrusher, on Dec 05 2018 - 12:17, said:

I was happily firing away at a tank in an open field in sniper mode from behind a bush.  After putting two rounds into it and getting ready to put a third, the tank just disappeared.  There was no where it could have hid.  I was then distracted when I came under fire from a second tank.  No idea what happened to the tank I was shooting at.  Was this a glitch?  Did it suddenly turn on camo?

Thank You    

This was likely because the tank in the open was being spotted by a teammate of yours which then stopped spotting it.  Since you did not have the spotting range to spot it yourself, it just disappeared.

Edited to add:  If it remained stationary for three seconds, and had a camo net, its camo factor would increase and so possibly put it outside the spotting range of you or allied vehicles.

I wrote a guide on vision mechanics that explains all this, you can find it here:  http://forum.worldof...sion-mechanics/

GLHF

Edited by MiddleAgedNoob, Dec 05 2018 - 18:34.

slantytank #5 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 18:45

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29392 battles

View Postsnailcrusher, on Dec 05 2018 - 09:17, said:

After putting two rounds into it and getting ready to put a third, the tank just disappeared.  There was no where it could have hid.

Part of WoT's flawed MAGIC system.

_1204_ #6 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 18:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 771 battles

View Postsnailcrusher, on Dec 05 2018 - 18:17, said:

Thank You    

Simply put, he became unspotted.

To elaborate simply*, His camo value became greater than any tanks view range that had a line of sight to him (including you). He was not seen by any tank, so he vanished

Complex version...

http://wiki.wargamin...nics#Visibility

Listen to these people. With the exception of heavy tanks and maybe arty, Vision mechanics is one of the most important things to learn in this game. If your in a camouflaged TD or scout tank, it is pointless to play if you are uneducated

* Not actually how it works I know... But its close enough to generalize

GeorgePreddy #7 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 18:55

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles

It could be as simple as "he stopped firing"... because when you stop firing, a few seconds later your camo value becomes MUCH, MUCH better.

OR... he could have simply stopped moving and 3 seconds after stopping his camo net took effect.

There are a dozen other common ways a tank can "suddenly disappear".

The view/camo mechanics in this game are great... very well thought out and developed, but it is not simple to get a true and complete understanding of these mechanics.

98% of the complaints about view/camo mechanics on the forum are due to the complainer failing to truly understand what happened (the other 2% are due to lag, packet loss, high ping or a very RARE bug), if they would only post a replay, other forumites could usually explain the "mystery".

It takes time and effort to learn many parts of this game.

Awestryker #8 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 19:01

Major

• Players
  • 25363 battles

View Postsnailcrusher, on Dec 05 2018 - 12:17, said:

Thank You    

Watch that video posted above...vehicle spotting...watch it several times, then come back in a month and watch it again...

Learn it...live it...

https://www.youtube....h?v=7qrQ1UPltXg

Edited by Awestryker, Dec 05 2018 - 19:02.

the_Deadly_Bulb #9 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 19:22

Major

• Players
  • 23138 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postsnailcrusher, on Dec 05 2018 - 09:17, said:

Thank You   

As has already been pointed out, the tank became "unspotted".

You may have thought you were the one lighting that tank, however that was not the case.

It was lit by someone other than you and when they moved the tank that you were firing at "disappeared" after the spotter was no longer spotting it.

It's NOT broken.

That's how spotting has always worked.

Spotting and the visual mechanics are the most enigmatic part of the game, well after RNG.

RG_Notch #10 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 23:13

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 25110 battles

View Postslantytank, on Dec 05 2018 - 12:45, said:

Part of WoT's flawed MAGIC system.

It's only flawed when you don't understand it. 

dunniteowl #11 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 16:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 23745 battles

Lots of great answers here (meaning they are based on knowledge of the mechanics as opposed to 'magical thinking' going on).

Nothing more I can add other than, "What most everyone else already said!"

OvO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users