The New Player's Guide to Picking Your First Tier 8 Tech Tree Tank

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

EricOtown1 #41 Posted Mar 11 2020 - 17:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 1079 battles
  • [SMA] SMA

This isn’t an option for free to play players who don’t want to spend a dime on WOT, but for those players who are willing to invest a little coin on WOT, I highly recommend that use free XP to research upgraded modules on tech tree tanks as soon you as you buy them and before you ever play them.

For those who don’t already know, you accumulate elite XP whenever play your premium tanks and your elited tech tree tanks. There is no use for elite XP by itself in WOT, but if you spend a little gold you can convert elite XP to free XP which can then be used to research upgraded modules on newly purchased tech tree tanks without having to play the stock tank. You can also use elite XP combined with gold to speed up crew skill/perk training. 

I think its most important to use free XP to unlock upgraded modules for higher tier tech tree tanks (tiers 6-10), especially for certain modules where there is a big difference in the specs/performance of stock modules vs. the upgraded modules and because in higher tier tanks the upgraded modules require more XP and therefore take a lot of battles in the stock tank to unlock. 

For me it really depends on how much elite XP and gold that I have at the time. If I have plenty of both, then whenever I buy a new tank, I will usually go ahead and convert enough elite XP to free XP so that I can upgrade my new tank to all of the top modules, as soon I buy it, so I don’t have to play any battles with the inferior stock tank. 

If I don’t have enough elite XP and gold to upgrade to all of the top modules right out of the gate or if some of the stock modules are competitive or middle modules are not much worse then the upgraded ones, I will prioritize upgrading the most important modules with free XP.  I will look at all the specs for the stock modules on my new tank and compare them to all of the upgraded modules and then I’ll decide which upgraded modules to unlock with free XP. 

Lets say there are 3 guns and 3 turrets available for a tank that I just purchased: the stock gun, middle gun, and top gun and the stock turret, middle turret, and top turret.

And let’s say there is a huge difference in the specs/performance between the stock gun (1.5K DPM & 150mm AP pen) and the middle gun module (2K DPM and 200mm AP pen), but the difference between the middle gun (2K DPM and 200mm AP pen) and the top gun (2.1K DPM and 210mm AP pen) really isn’t that significant, where as the difference between the stock turret (100mm) and the middle turret (120mm) isn’t that significant, but the difference between the middle turret (120mm) and the top turret is really significant (220mm).

In this case, I would use my limited amount of gold and elite XP convert enough elite XP to free XP to be able to research both the middle and top turret modules, but only use free XP to research the middle gun and just grind for the top gun by playing the tank.

Over thousands of hundreds and even thousands of battles, not having to play stock tech tree tanks will really help your win rate and other stats and it will also make the game a lot more enjoyable. It’s hard enough to be lower tier in a new tier 8 tank going against tier 10’s, but it’s far worse when you have to play dozens of battles in a stock tier 8 tank against tier 10’s. 

Trakks #42 Posted Apr 05 2020 - 05:28

Major

• Players
  • 6010 battles
We need this guide for all tiers, not just 8. 

ToxicRooster_Jack #43 Posted Apr 10 2020 - 03:17

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5037 battles
  • [PVA] PVA
If you made it to tier 8 and you are not in a Russian or French tank start over in one of these two countries tank lines mostly Russian. 

Navis_Nobilite #44 Posted Apr 20 2020 - 21:39

Captain

• Players
  • 11045 battles

The guide in the first post is very out of date now. The Indien Panzer is decent, and the Leos after it are both great. Also, Tiger 2 and following heavies are getting buffed soon.

Loremaster2 #45 Posted Jun 04 2020 - 18:55

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10187 battles
  • [T86] T86
It's a shame that there is no tier 7 guide. Many consider it the forgotten tier just because its between two clan wars / tournament tiers, and just jas a bunch of average tanks. The thing is, to me it's the most fun tier after tier 9, and like you say, it can make decent profit. It just saddens me that many good tanks like the Tiger 1, IS, T25 AT, and AT7 are forgotten and only the T29 is remembered at that tier.

LEARN_ENGLISH #46 Posted Jun 23 2020 - 22:09

Private

• Players
  • 48 battles
Give me a referral link

Raistlinleer #47 Posted Jun 25 2020 - 13:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

Good information. Thank you

oneeightysevn #48 Posted Jul 11 2020 - 23:15

Private

• Players
  • 6 battles
Very helpful for beginners, thank you.

Heavy_Metal_Core #49 Posted Aug 11 2020 - 14:29

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostLoremaster2, on Jun 04 2020 - 18:55, said:

It's a shame that there is no tier 7 guide. Many consider it the forgotten tier just because its between two clan wars / tournament tiers, and just has a bunch of average tanks. The thing is, to me it's the most fun tier after tier 9, and like you say, it can make decent profit. It just saddens me that many good tanks like the Tiger 1, IS, T25 AT, and AT7 are forgotten and only the T29 is remembered at that tier.

Totally agree about the fun in Tier 7! I think the Tiger 1 is underestimated compared to the ubiquitous T29 - it has great firepower and it's a good looking beast too ;-) The IS and E-25 are also good tanks that are worthy of being remembered, it shouldn't be all about the T29...

AxxNox #50 Posted Sep 01 2020 - 18:58

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I wish i had this a year ago..Thanks for posting

SchizzoEU #51 Posted Oct 05 2020 - 13:48

Corporal

• Players
  • 20 battles
Is this updated? Some tanks got buffed recently

Player_2925331442 #52 Posted Oct 10 2020 - 01:57

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
My friend tell me russian line is best. Is true?

_JangoFett #53 Posted Oct 13 2020 - 23:04

Major

• Players
  • 4247 battles
  • [BOBA_] BOBA_

View PostPlayer_2925331442, on Oct 09 2020 - 19:57, said:

My friend tell me russian line is best. Is true?

Da, is true comrade. Russkie line is ze best in ze game.

In all seriousness, the Russians have the best tech tree in the game. Whatever you pick is bound to be good if it's Russian. 

html5_games #54 Posted Dec 03 2020 - 11:46

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

I'm a newbie, thank you very much

puzzle jigsaw

kharyptho84 #55 Posted Jan 18 2021 - 12:50

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

My apprentice at work has decided he wants to play "the old man's game". I'm 33, piss off kid. Anyway, I'll be squaring up with him tomorrow and wondering if anyone has advice to give him. You all have helped me alot and I would like to point him in the right direction. Thanks." data-sheets-hyperlink="https://shareit.onl/" data-sheets-userformat="{"2":268480,"9":1,"10":2,"14":[null,2,1136076],"15":"arial,sans,sans-serif","21":1}" data-sheets-value="{"1":2,"2":"SHAREit"}" style="text-decoration-line: underline; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; text-decoration-skip-ink: none; color: rgb(17, 85, 204); text-align: center; background: none;">SHAREit

Edited by kharyptho84, Jan 20 2021 - 11:06.

Saleprice66 #56 Posted Feb 01 2021 - 05:44

Private

• Players
  • 244 battles
This was really useful as I am deciding what part of the german tree to go down so thanks!

RiyaSen_2021 #57 Posted Feb 17 2021 - 11:22

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostLoremaster2, on Jun 04 2020 - 18:55, said:

It's a shame that there is no tier 7 guide. Many consider it the forgotten tier just because its between two clan wars / tournament tiers, and just jas a bunch of average tanks. The yo thing is, to me it's the most fun tier after tier 9, and like you say, it can make decent profit. It just saddens me that many good tanks like the Tiger 1, IS, T25 AT, and AT7 are forgotten and only the T29 is remembered at that tier.

I do not really need this at this moment,

freshwatergame #58 Posted Feb 28 2021 - 21:15

Sergeant

• Players
  • 40349 battles

_____My input on this topic is very simple.

• You shouldn't be, considered willingly, a new player your first time in a Tier VIII vehicle!
  •  will have several K battles and much XP when entering these higher tiers!
  •  "stock", first ride!
  • know the map!
  • have understanding of team mechanics and WG!
  • shall not be bot!

Then, along with teammates allied and enemy alike, may you enjoy WOT._____

Sastus #59 Posted Mar 01 2021 - 13:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1433 battles

The guide is old, outdated and one of the reasons WoT's tanking population is a majority of red players is this straight in at tier 5/6 grind to the top gogogo mentality.

The best tier 8 tank is the one in the right place at the right time. Harder than it sounds. But thats the point. Do players get started and aim at a line based on a guide like this or end up here after they start, whatever both end up mute as a new players guide because quite simply we should not be seeing "NEW" players at tier 8.

Its why currently Wargaming have the largest percentage of the player base below  49% win rate, leading to massive amounts of red team gameplay sessions and the 3-15 steam rolls. Most are aiming for the latest tech tree wonder that is apparently most OP or buying the most OP rated premium tanks due to community contributer guides or forums. Me, my win rate is in cosntant decline and I find it hard to recommend anything these days as my skill has dropped so bad. Couple that with continual team mates looking after themselves at the back in their own single player world and it just feels like a vicious circle.

Go back a good few years, we were all starting at tier 1 with a premium account and no boosters or freebies, with games where red and purple were the rarest colours, and very few red players populated tier 10 battles.

These days you can storm an event like team clash in a tier 10 with no equipment or crew skills simply because a majority seem to be clan experienced and we all just work together, I was stunned yet again by the disparity in both game modes, loved team clash, rocked it in comparison to my current performance within randoms.

I have played since beta, currently I find it hard to recommend any tier 8 tank I would say would be a go to fun tank, on my main EU account my most played tier 8 tanks are the old company choices, IS-3, T-32, AMX 50/100, none of which I play these days.

I have never played the tier 8 german super heavy, its a noob go to that promotes wishful thinking and blame. A majority wont learn angling or to use HP, simply trading with no skill then blaming gold ammo instead of themselves, permating that attitude into their next line.

I loved the RU frying pan, more than the T-44, but we dont do that line, it's 430U or bust, though I like the 140, I utterly suck in that for some reason.

I think due to tier 8 premiums the tier 8 tech tree is one of the least inspiring to aim for in search of an enjoyable tier 8 go to.

TheNewColdWar #60 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 00:48

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Guys, I REALLY need some bonus codes. Do y'all know any?

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users