PLEASE JUST REMOVE ARTY

artillery arty remove

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

Poll: How much to you hate ary (575 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

How do you feel about arty as it stands in WoT?

1. Voted I have absolutely no problem with artillery (326 votes [56.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.70%

2. Voted Arty is toxic and should be removed (210 votes [36.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.52%

3. I rage quit to arty often. (39 votes [6.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

Vote Hide poll

Trauglodyte #101 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 23747 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostAltivoMaximus, on Dec 06 2018 - 14:23, said:

Arty was added to the game to reduce camping.. all I feel comfortable doing in any game with more then one arty is camp these days. If I'm on the front lines theirs a pretty good chance I'm losing at least a third of my HP to arty., especially in a medium. 

If WG is so [edited]worried about keeping the [edited]arty population of players playing, you might as well call is WorldofClickers because I'm getting close to just not playing until arty is removed or drastically changed... again. Why do we need the stun? just remove the stun and keep the damage where it is. I'm not upset for hitting for 300 in my tier 10 arty. why would i be? I'm sitting at the back of the map like a [edited].

I would very much like to point out that you have 2,873 games in artillery, of which 365 of them are in the M53/M55 AND you have 327 games in the leFH 18B2.  EDIT:  Since you have 25k games, that means that you've spent 11.5% of your total games played in artillery.  Meanwhile, you play like a donkey in some of the easiest tanks in the game to play - that isn't a discrimination, since we all have problem tanks, and more of an observation.  So, I have to ask:

- Is artillery REALLY what is holding you back?

Edited by Trauglodyte, Dec 06 2018 - 20:37.

BillT #102 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:36

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostGeoMonster, on Dec 06 2018 - 13:12, said:

View PostEcho_Saber, on Dec 06 2018 - 10:27, said:

I cannot recall a single time where a tank being stunned was the difference between me not shooting it and me shooting it.  

Wow ... for a good player that is really surprising to hear.  Maybe you don't fully understand the stun mechanics?  A stunned tank has problems.  It is slow as molasses in winter.  Reload is much longer.  From a distance, they would have a hard time hitting you since gun aim is bad.  Etc.

Actually, I think Echo is correct in the most common scenarios.

Suppose you have two viable targets, both of them IS-3s, to chose from, and one of them is stunned.  Being stunned doesn't make him any easier for you to damage.  But it means he's less of a threat for the next 15 seconds.  For the next 15 seconds the un-stunned IS-3 is going to do more DPM, maneuver more, and all that... so it's the most dangerous target and thus should be your focus.

Plus, if you damage a stunned tank, doesn't the SPG "steal" some of your XP?  I may be misunderstanding here.  Maybe the credit the SPG gets for stun assist doesn't reduce what the shooter gets for doing damage, but I thought it was a zero-sum game.

There are, of course, exceptions.  If you're close to the stunned tank, maybe you can rush him and get to his flank while he's too slow to react to you.  If you have a choice of rushing a stunned tank or a non-stunned tank, it's better to rush the stunned one because he'll hurt you less.   But mainly, most players shoot the tank they have the best shot at, whether it's stunned or not, and they aren't going to pass up a good shot for a worse one just because the second target is stunned.

el_mucho_dingdong #103 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:42

Captain

• Players
  • 23380 battles
  • [NCA] NCA

View PostTaggeth, on Dec 06 2018 - 11:35, said:

Oh wait, only 40% agree with me. 

Its even less than that. Good ole Ron voted 7 times on his 7 accounts against arty. At least 6 less votes in the against column.

Trauglodyte #104 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 21:02

Major

• -Players-
  • 23747 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostMeMeBigBoi, on Dec 06 2018 - 14:42, said:

Arty needs to be removed, every time I see people defending it they only have like 1400- recants, arty does not take skill and it’s what creates a system that is stupid.

people always say “ohh why are you crying, I’m old man and you are just kid even tho I don t know you whahahah” 

The idea or arty is stupid, you need to camp to hide from arty, you CANT AVOID IT. Arty can hit you and you can’t do anything about it.

if you run it can still hit you

if you play light tank it still hits you 

its dumb 

How are those tier 5 and below games going for you?  30% of them, in total.  And you really have almost 1k games split between the Medium II and the Pz. IC and you're calling people out for playing artillery?  Ballsy.

View PostSovietMemeBear, on Dec 06 2018 - 16:14, said:

My opinion WG needs to decide if they want arty to be a damaging class or a debuffing support class, It really can't be both. Also 2 arty per game max. 3 with the current reloads, stun, damage is just to toxic. 

Soviet, I'd really like to expand upon this discussion.  As an avid artillery fan, I find your concept to be something that has been on my mind for a long time.  And I completely agree with your arty limits to the point of taking it further to include an algorithm to limit arty, based upon the tier and map size - why do we need 2 or 3 arty on Mines/Ensk at tier 10?  Hell, we don't need 2 arty on Minsk and, despite it being a larger map, why is multiple arty on Province a thing when 90% of the map is either blocked by buildings or a dead zone where nobody ventures?

Seriously, we should rap on this.

View PostBillT, on Dec 06 2018 - 18:29, said:

Siege mode is a non-starter. Most people complain that arty just sits in one place and shoots, never having to move.  So why introduce a mechanic that discourages arty even more from moving? 

It also makes counterbattery fire too lethal.  Today, if you shoot in your SPG and don't move immediately, an enemy SPG can spot your tracer, aim in, and probably land a shell close enough to one-shot you.  But if you move immediately after each shot you can get far enough away that, barring a lucky shot, the worst he'll do is to splash you, and you can survive several of those. So as an SPG player you can be smart and reduce the effectiveness of CB fire to a manageable level.    But if you add a 5-second time to exit siege mode, the guy firing counterbattery has plenty of time to adjust his aim and get the shell down range before the target can move.  Lots of one-shot kills.  So as an SPG player, it's just Russian roulette.  Any time you shoot, you're going to die if the enemy is watching for your tracer, and there's nothing you can do to mitigate that risk.

Also, understand that WG has balanced arty's effect on the game to about where they want it.  Anything you do to reduce how effective arty is (like imposing setup times and traverse limits that reduce their damage per minute) will have to be balanced by increasing their effectiveness in other ways -- alpha damage, burst radius, rate of fire, or penetration.

It would work if you broke arty down into two different modes:  long range support and close range support.  Though, I'd argue that you don't need a mode, especially one tied to emplacements that the bulk of arty didn't carry.

There is a medium ground where we should have artillery exist.  We're not there yet.  The problem is that I wonder if WarGaming has the "want" to take it there.

ProfessionalFinn #105 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 21:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 26342 battles

Arty ain't no problem folks. 
For me a real issue is skewed teams at higher tiers.  For example, just played this battle with 8 heavy tanks on my team and 15 total.  This type of mix produces 

a less than optimal game where any school child could accurately predict deployment. picture below

WoT needs  more medium, more TDs and more light tanks with higher tiers.  And needs more arty, not less.  If 3 is the cap, ok.  Would to see 3 artys per team in the mix more often.

WoT needs less heavy tank at higher tiers.

More arty = more fun.

Cote_Zilla #106 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 21:26

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15825 battles
  • [_MH_] _MH_

View PostULTRADERECHA, on Dec 06 2018 - 08:58, said:

The game is sooooo much better when there is no arty! In maps like malinovka the battle for the hill (if it happens because we all know how dynamic matches with 3 artilleries are) boils down to which team has the hp to endure 3 arties crapping on them non stop.

Yet there are times you want your arty to  crap on that  dug in  t29 heavy that  is  ripping you a new rear axle. you pray for your arty to be just as  accurate.. ARTY Lives Matter

thorus08 #107 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 21:32

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 29214 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

Jeesh, ultimatum polls best polls.

"arty is fine"

"arty is too prevalent in matches"

"arty numbers are fine, but (insert mechanic) too strong/annoying"

"arty can't be balanced plsremovekthx"

Not that these are exactly what should be used in a poll, but if you actually want useful data, it helps if you have more than just the extreme left, or extreme right, for options (wording them in an unbiased way is also useful)

thorus08 #108 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 21:41

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 29214 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Dec 06 2018 - 15:18, said:

More arty = more fun.

hmmm, sounds like you are asking for a new 15v15 all arty template.  Let's make it +4/-4 in design since HE will pen on a direct hit mostly anyways. 

Run it once a month for a week for the luls.  Bert the avenger might just fly again in this mode/template.

In my opinion, most of the time "More arty = more fun." is not my flavor, even though it likely suites others' tastes.  It's good to see many people talking about the class in a civil way (mostly, so far) in this thread, even though some of the normal extremists likely haven't had a chance to flex their opinion in either direction in the most condescending way possible.

Edit:  Just to be clear Fin, If I ever found myself in this template in my bert with you on the red team...look out my friend.  I've taken specific notes from Liam Neeson in "Taken" on how to find you.

Second Edit:  Sorry, missed a few pages, the condescending comments are there by the regulars in the expected fashion.  There goes my optimism for the moment.

Edited by thorus08, Dec 06 2018 - 21:53.

3nr0n #109 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 21:43

Captain

• Players
  • 23253 battles
  • [1VETS] 1VETS

ProfessionalFinn #110 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 21:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 26342 battles

View Postthorus08, on Dec 06 2018 - 12:41, said:

hmmm, sounds like you are asking for a new 15v15 all arty template.  Let's make it +4/-4 in design since HE will pen on a direct hit mostly anyways. 

Run it once a month for a week for the luls.  Bert the avenger might just fly again in this mode/template.

In my opinion, most of the time "More arty = more fun." is not my flavor, even though it likely suites others' tastes.  It's good to see many people talking about the class in a civil way (mostly, so far) in this thread, even though some of the normal extremists likely haven't had a chance to flex their opinion in either direction in the most condescending way possible.

Edit:  Just to be clear Fin, If I ever found myself in this template in my bert with you on the red team...look out my friend.  I've taken specific notes from Liam Neeson in "Taken" on how to find you.

Thorus, thanks for the shot across my bow.  I have been fairly warned! :justwait:

For a short-term trial any 15 v 15 match of the same type of armor would be fun.  Let me be clear on my point:   A balanced mix makes for a better game IMO.  Hence the context for "more arty = more fun".  The 15 Tier X heavy battles are not much fun.  This seems the rule.

thorus08 #111 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 21:56

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 29214 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Dec 06 2018 - 15:53, said:

Thorus, thanks for the shot across my bow.  I have been fairly warned! :justwait:

For a short-term trial any 15 v 15 match of the same type of armor would be fun.  Let me be clear on my point:   A balanced mix makes for a better game IMO.  Hence the context for "more arty = more fun".  The 15 Tier X heavy battles are not much fun.  This seems the rule.

Oh, I got the context you were posting with.  I just had to run with it.  A straight up 15v15 tier X SPG match wouldn't be as crazy as mixed tiers since many of the lower tier SPG's are at least a little more mobile.  If they occurred around the same % of the time as grand battles during a week, it would be quite a surprise.  

DUKE_AUTY #112 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 21:59

Captain

• Players
  • 39587 battles
This thread is so 2013.

FunPolice_ #113 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 22:11

Major

• Players
  • 30662 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT
Biased polls get us no where.

I don't think Arty really fits is role the best way it can at present and 3 per game isn't ideal.  I always advocate adding depth to the SPG class so they get more tactical options to consider during lengthy reloads.  Smoke to add camo to allies or flares to reduce camo of enemies would be very nice and really let good SPG players shine and influence the game.  That would be very welcome to a class that is currently so heavily dependent on the team.  3 SPGs in a game cause a bit too much overlap of stuns, wasted shots as things die with shells in the air and takes a lot of HP out of the battles.  Both when I'm playing arty and when I'm playing direct fire tanks I'd think limit 2 would work better provided it didn't significantly impact queue times.  Since heavies seem to wait longer than SPGs I'm inclined to think that it wouldn't make it that much longer (on NA at least).  I will say that my favorite games as an SPG are when I'm the only one on the team and yeah my favorite games as a non-spg are with no spgs.

I think those two changes would really help the games feel better for both arty players and non-arty players without even getting into damage/stun mechanics and values which would require a lot more fine tuning and be more likely to cause outcry from one side or the other.  If I got flare/smoke in SPGs I would gladly wait an extra 15 seconds to drop into battle, especially with the increased likelihood of more HP on the table to snag.

NARWL_Legend_Soviet #114 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 22:25

Captain

• Players
  • 27805 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

View PostTrauglodyte, on Dec 06 2018 - 15:02, said:

Soviet, I'd really like to expand upon this discussion.  As an avid artillery fan, I find your concept to be something that has been on my mind for a long time.  And I completely agree with your arty limits to the point of taking it further to include an algorithm to limit arty, based upon the tier and map size - why do we need 2 or 3 arty on Mines/Ensk at tier 10?  Hell, we don't need 2 arty on Minsk and, despite it being a larger map, why is multiple arty on Province a thing when 90% of the map is either blocked by buildings or a dead zone where nobody ventures?

Seriously, we should rap on this.

So when I look at other MMO and class based games there are the damage dealers and the support/debuff classes. The support debuff classes might not be able to do any damage, but they are able to slow down the enemies damage dealing classes long enough for your own do weaken then. 

Lets use the CGC as an example. Currently a CGC can hit equal tier tanks for 500-600 damage reliably. This is equal(or greater) to many heavy tank guns in the game at tier 9/10. It can do so indirectly with no threat of return fire(outside of counter arty). It also debuffs the entire crew for 10-20 seconds depending, can inflict module damage to the tank, and can kill crew members on top of stunning them. It does all of this reliably. This is beyond just a debuff class. This can ruin the ability for a tanker to play the game. This is amplified if the enemy team has more then one piece of artillery. I do not understand how people can enjoy playing against this. Sure getting 1 shot was annoying, but dying a death of 1000 paper cuts while your crew and modules are damaged and destroyed is way less enjoyable. If WG wants Arty to be a debuff class then turn the alpha damage to 500 or less. Tier 10 arty shouldn't be able to hit for the same as a Type 5 HE and stun you. 

As for number of arty, I honestly think with the RoF of arty now, the stun and crew damage and increased splash 3 artillery has the ability to take a single tank they choose. Lock it down and slowly take turns pummeling it to death. I've been there, having 2-3 arty focus you all game is no more fun then getting 1 shot at the start. At least when you got one shot you can jump right into another match. You don't have to sit there and slowly lose hope. 2 arty max on the wider more open maps, 1 arty on smaller closed maps. But again thats my opinion. 

Casual_Boops #115 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 23:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 35521 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS

View PostSovietMemeBear, on Dec 06 2018 - 15:25, said:

So when I look at other MMO and class based games there are the damage dealers and the support/debuff classes. The support debuff classes might not be able to do any damage, but they are able to slow down the enemies damage dealing classes long enough for your own do weaken then. 

Lets use the CGC as an example. Currently a CGC can hit equal tier tanks for 500-600 damage reliably. This is equal(or greater) to many heavy tank guns in the game at tier 9/10. It can do so indirectly with no threat of return fire(outside of counter arty). It also debuffs the entire crew for 10-20 seconds depending, can inflict module damage to the tank, and can kill crew members on top of stunning them. It does all of this reliably. This is beyond just a debuff class. This can ruin the ability for a tanker to play the game. This is amplified if the enemy team has more then one piece of artillery. I do not understand how people can enjoy playing against this. Sure getting 1 shot was annoying, but dying a death of 1000 paper cuts while your crew and modules are damaged and destroyed is way less enjoyable. If WG wants Arty to be a debuff class then turn the alpha damage to 500 or less. Tier 10 arty shouldn't be able to hit for the same as a Type 5 HE and stun you. 

As for number of arty, I honestly think with the RoF of arty now, the stun and crew damage and increased splash 3 artillery has the ability to take a single tank they choose. Lock it down and slowly take turns pummeling it to death. I've been there, having 2-3 arty focus you all game is no more fun then getting 1 shot at the start. At least when you got one shot you can jump right into another match. You don't have to sit there and slowly lose hope. 2 arty max on the wider more open maps, 1 arty on smaller closed maps. But again thats my opinion. 

The people defending arty are the same people that play arty 95% of the time. They have no idea what it's like to be clicked incessantly, which is why they have the warped views that they do. They're not purple or blue or green either, so when they DO break out their KV-1 once in a while, they're not focused out like those of us who have bothered to learn this game... So they are shielded by their incompetence. 

WhineMaker #116 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 23:44

Major

• Players
  • 38579 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA

View Postel_mucho_dingdong, on Dec 06 2018 - 11:42, said:

Its even less than that. Good ole Ron voted 7 times on his 7 accounts against arty. At least 6 less votes in the against column.

:ohmy:

CheapWine #117 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 23:46

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 18755 battles
Arty will never be removed from this game regardless of how many players hate it or leave because of it.  I get the feeling some high executive at WG likes arty and that is where the discussion ends. 

WhineMaker #118 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 23:52

Major

• Players
  • 38579 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA

View PostSovietMemeBear, on Dec 06 2018 - 13:25, said:

Sounds like you already know there are other games out there more fitted to your gameplay...

Or, as another option, you can create/develop/ produce your very own tank game with the mechanics you require. But I know, this is well beyond your skillset... :(

View Postpickpocket293, on Dec 06 2018 - 14:11, said:

The people defending arty are the same people that play arty 95% of the time. They have no idea what it's like to be clicked incessantly, which is why they have the warped views that they do. They're not purple or blue or green either, so when they DO break out their KV-1 once in a while, they're not focused out like those of us who have bothered to learn this game... So they are shielded by their incompetence. 

Am  I supposed to feel bad I play the game as it is designed? Good luck with that one... :facepalm:

If you are so concerned with learning how to play a game, maybe you should learn to play WoT as it is designed or go play WoT Blitz for your arty free games... :ohmy:

Personally, I have no need to learn a game, it's not a job. I play for fun and entertainment purposes ONLY. I shoot tanks, they go POP and Boom, I have fun... :great:

Trauglodyte #119 Posted Dec 07 2018 - 00:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 23747 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostSovietMemeBear, on Dec 06 2018 - 22:25, said:

Great post and I agree with a lot of what you've said.  I want to add a few things to the discussion of pre-change artillery.

1. I've got a little over 1k games that I logged in my pre-change artillery.  That comprises 88 games in the Hummel, 248 in the GW Panther, 349 in the GW Tiger P, and 392 in the GW Tiger.  In all of those games, I had a 2%, 3.3%, 2.9%, and a 3.0% chance, respectively, to get a 1-shot kill pre-change.  So, while people loathed old artillery for the 1-shot kill opportunities, they were few and far between.  And over those kills, over 2/3 of them were against enemy artillery so the chance of 1-shot kills in old school arty was WAY over blown.
  2. Just to support that note, I had roughly a 37% chance of landing a direct hit, pre-change.  SO, extrapolating that, across 1,077 games, I had 1,426 direct hits.  Of those direct hits, 43 were 1-shot kills which amounts to 3% (see above).

The numbers above show a very unsatisfactory game play that was bad for both sides of the game.  To your point, though, if you took the big hit, you chalked it up to RNG and went above your business.  That didn't make it fun but you knew that, if you stayed mobile, your chances of getting blasted were low.  And, I can add to that the fact the almost all of my hits, including 1-shot kills, were against people who just stopped moving and parked.

Fast forward to today's game, I would say that the biggest implications of artillery problems are:

• Map design - funnels are great for giving players a place to move to, in order to find a fight but they're bad in the sense that the rest of the map is designed as a dead zone, thereby causing funnels to amplify the power of artillery
  • HE design - see Japanese Super Heavies and low tier derp guns and  tank tracks have a 100% chance of taking damage on HE explosion radius while other external components (turret, gun, radio, observation device) have only a 30% chance and, only then, on a direct hit
  • Shot distribution design - 240 mm howitzers have the same shot distribution, within the aiming reticle, as the most accurate gun in the game (ie., 70% of shots land within the inner 50% of the reticle, per WarGaming during sandbox test of new shot distribution that occurred during the sandbox text of the artillery changes; the shot distribution put everyone up in arms and it was pulled)

So, what you have is an instance where players are herded into specific areas, because map designers fear players wandering around aimlessly looking for a fight.  These funneled areas mean close quarters fighting where massive AoE "can" take advantage and will take advantage because the accuracy, combined with the increased splash radius, is such that missing without damage is really impossible.  And, whether a hit occurs or not, the HE mechanic is going to make it so that the HE bubble burns through the armor location, within the bubble, that has the most beneficial armor thinness-to-HE damage/pen ratio.

To your point before, I'm in complete agreement with you.  WG needs to decide what it wants artillery to actually do.  On the last test server patch, pre-production push, the blast radius of artillery was much greater than it is now.  One of the devs went on to say that they wanted arty to be inefficient at single target combat and focus more on AoE damage.  Then, they nerfed the radius from 20-ish meters down to 12-15 meters, because everyone hated it.  I believe that arty should have three focuses:

1. Normal shell at 20 meters splash; stun radius at 50% of that (10 meters)
  2. Premium shell at 20 meters splash; stun radius at 100% of that (20 meters)
  3. Normal shell at 10 meters splash, does 2x damage, but range limited to 650 meters

From there, you:

• Make howitzer guns have a 100% shot distribution (ie, you have a 100% chance to have every shot land somewhere random within the reticle)
  • Boost health to Light tank range, at the heaviest end of SPGs, and strongly scale that down for the faster "light" SPGs
  • Buff vision back to old values
  • Revisit engines for power-to-weight quality of life changes
  • Nerf the gun traverse soft stat into the dirt
  • Buff aim time to compensate - wouldn't balance it out but would make actual steady aimed shots more comfortable
  • Increase stun effect to 50% BUT have the effect's power reduce to 10% over the duration

In doing that, you've now created a situation where rando "pray to god" shots on Lights is drastically reduced, overall survivability is increased, and create a situation where you've now added skill to the SPG class by establishing different areas for support.  You've also reduced the overall impact of the stun effect while maintaining its design and made everything less impactful on the receiving player base.

The design basis of artillery should be:  AoE, AoE with a greater benefit as a cost, BIG AoE at the cost of range.  You now have three choices that differ based upon the situation.  As an artillery player, I want an actual tool box to fit what is going on in the game.  With the way it is designed, I either spend 2k per shell to damage 1 tank and nobody else or spend 8k per shell to damage 1 tank and nobody else (with the tier 10 gun, you get like 1 meter added extra splash radius on the premium shell at 8k per pop).

In total agreeance with you, Soviet.  Keep the convo going, please.

Edited by Trauglodyte, Dec 07 2018 - 00:10.

aggressive_napkin #120 Posted Dec 07 2018 - 01:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 59335 battles

Time to play my arty all night.

Also tagged with artillery, arty, remove

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users