PLEASE JUST REMOVE ARTY

artillery arty remove

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

Poll: How much to you hate ary (542 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

How do you feel about arty as it stands in WoT?

1. I have absolutely no problem with artillery (307 votes [56.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.64%

2. Arty is toxic and should be removed (197 votes [36.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.35%

3. I rage quit to arty often. (38 votes [7.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.01%

Vote Hide poll

Double_O7 #221 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 01:29

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6076 battles

View Postshinglefoot, on Dec 10 2018 - 18:27, said:

Your new poll is crap and your tears are delicious...

It was a satire you idiot (humorist banter implied) .

Im not "crying" about arty so you have no tears to taste.  You think I was going to use a poll in these forums to prove a point? Ya like any poll is accurate here. 

Edited by Double_O7, Dec 11 2018 - 01:33.

shinglefoot #222 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 01:32

Major

• Players
  • 25025 battles

View PostDouble_O7, on Dec 10 2018 - 20:29, said:

It was a satire you idiot. 

I guess you aren't too good at satire...

Double_O7 #223 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 01:33

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6076 battles

View Postshinglefoot, on Dec 10 2018 - 18:32, said:

I guess you aren't too good at satire...

Obviously not.....

The insult was supposed to emphatic humor too. 

Don't know of you got that 

AZandEL #224 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 02:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30234 battles

View PostAltivoMaximus, on Dec 06 2018 - 13:23, said:

Arty was added to the game to reduce camping.. all I feel comfortable doing in any game with more then one arty is camp these days. If I'm on the front lines theirs a pretty good chance I'm losing at least a third of my HP to arty., especially in a medium. 

If WG is so [edited]worried about keeping the [edited]arty population of players playing, you might as well call is WorldofClickers because I'm getting close to just not playing until arty is removed or drastically changed... again. Why do we need the stun? just remove the stun and keep the damage where it is. I'm not upset for hitting for 300 in my tier 10 arty. why would i be? I'm sitting at the back of the map like a [edited].

try Blitz

GENPATT0N #225 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 02:57

Captain

• Players
  • 19187 battles
ah yes, a tale as old as time.

Double_O7 #226 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 04:41

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6076 battles

View PostAZandEL, on Dec 10 2018 - 19:47, said:

try Blitz

Lots of people are going in that direction, and dropping PC population. 

You realize that saying that hurts this game? 

earthman34 #227 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 06:16

Major

• Players
  • 49819 battles

View PostAltivoMaximus, on Dec 06 2018 - 07:23, said:

Arty was added to the game to reduce camping.. all I feel comfortable doing in any game with more then one arty is camp these days. If I'm on the front lines theirs a pretty good chance I'm losing at least a third of my HP to arty., especially in a medium. 

If WG is so [edited]worried about keeping the [edited]arty population of players playing, you might as well call is WorldofClickers because I'm getting close to just not playing until arty is removed or drastically changed... again. Why do we need the stun? just remove the stun and keep the damage where it is. I'm not upset for hitting for 300 in my tier 10 arty. why would i be? I'm sitting at the back of the map like a [edited].

Camp all you want, by all means, it just makes you an easier target.

EmperorJuliusCaesar #228 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 11:28

Major

• Players
  • 37052 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View PostFireplace4, on Dec 11 2018 - 00:05, said:

View PostEmperorJuliusCaesar, on Dec 10 2018 - 11:41, said:

"maybe the square arty fired from gets lit up so players who weren't hit can get an idea of how to get safe? "

This is already done by those that aren't too lazy to do it.....

"0 fear of retaliation"

Again, they do have fear of retaliation unless the enemy team is too lazy to ping their location for counter battery.

Arty works exactly AS DESIGNED AND INTENDED, that is by definition.....not broken.  Learn some English vocabulary perhaps?

yeah but 90% of the time people don't do it or arty isn't paying any attention. All my numbers are just anecdotal but I haven't seen even 1 counter battery kill in the past 2 weeks. And you want to know why? Because it hurts the team to have your arty watching a square hoping to see a tracer for minutes on end (for some reasons arty tracers can't be seen every shot). If the other team's arty is stalling your heavy push while your arty is looking for theirs then their heavies will gain the upper hand. Also arty doesn't get enough damage from counterbattery to make it worth doing. I gave a suggestion, instead of trying to pick it apart maybe come up with a suggestion of your own or at least be constructive with your criticism. I'm sure my suggestion isn't the best, so help me arrive at a better one. WG has said multiple times arty is meant to discourage camping, focus on tanks who are holding powerful positions, and that arty is not at a place where they are happy with it. Since arty spends most of its time stalling pushes then it is NOT working as intended

It's not your arties fault that people are too stupid/lazy to click where they enemy arty is. 

Just because arty doesn't immediately do counter, doesn't mean they never will.  They have a great overview of the battlefield and something else might be more important at the time(slowing a push etc).  Many are doing what they think is best at the moment, if things are moving slowly, most arty will go for counter.....thought it's not in any way a requirement for them to do so. 

Arty doesn't need to be changed, unless that's putting it back to where it was before the nerf.  The game is super boring without arty.

Actually WG has said they ARE happy with it and aren't planning any more changes to arty.  Their quotes have even been posted in this thread as they usually are in every arty whining post. 

EmperorJuliusCaesar #229 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 11:30

Major

• Players
  • 37052 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View PostStoveBolt54, on Dec 11 2018 - 00:13, said:

woOt !

With the loot boxes this Christmas every one gets a French arty !

View Postelitewardog, on Dec 11 2018 - 00:27, said:

The Leaf Blower  will be out during the Christmas OPs this year.....wait for it.....Let the whiners begin....HA HA HA

Yep, def getting one....no matter what.  I've been waiting 3 years to get the thing......the more ppl cry about arty, the more ppl want to play it.....they should really learn...but they can't be bothered to learn how to play with arty in the game after THOUSANDS of battles so yeah......just can't learn I guess....

Trauglodyte #230 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 15:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 23707 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostMikosah, on Dec 11 2018 - 01:04, said:

For the record I was one of those guys who thought COD4 and MW2 were on the cusp of being masterpieces if not for needless game design mistakes like the noobtubes. That is exactly my position both for those games and this one- that mechanics like these were simple mistakes and nothing more. Had the respective devs just not included them in the first place, their products would have been even more successful both critically and financially. And the only thing keeping these mistakes alive today is just the investment that players have already made. 

As for the notion that if so players should have demanded the removal of arta from the earliest days of beta testing, to that I say that WoT is incredibly counterintuitive and even devoted players need time to properly figure it out. I myself thought arta was great when I was new to the game because at that stage of my career my tactics were incredibly underdeveloped. It took months to finally understand and accept that matches aren't won or lost through fine marksmanship, they're won or lost through movement and positioning. Lo and behold, by the time the first batches of good players were just figuring this out several years ago is when we started to see the rise of the anti-arta sentiment. Not simply that arta is obnoxious and unnecessary, but that it tricks players who don't know any better into thinking they can just park in spawn and be 'tactical' via the left mouse button alone.

And as of the players who are physically incapable of playing any other class, believe it or not I do have some sympathy for them. But they're a very tiny minority here. The far more common arta player is the kind who is fully capable of using both hands at the same time but just isn't in the mood to. Many of my colleagues would likely attribute this to stupidity and ignorance, but I think the answer is something much simpler. Laziness.

Mechwarrior 2 was a phenomenal game.  I'd reinstall it on my computer, now, if I could stand the potato graphics.  Though, MW5 was just announced and you have the option of Mechwarrior Online (WOT: Mechs) and Battletech RTS game.  Great titles!  I actually left MW:O to come to WOT because I got tired of the game not having anything but new mechs and the same old maps on Random Battles.  Yet, here I am in WOT with the same old maps on Random Battles with nothing but new tanks.  You'd think that these game developers would have the foresight to understand that the hamster wheel of random battles is NOT end game content.  Look at what Bioware did to SW:TOR - spent 80% of their budget on 20% of the game and now there might be 1k people playing it.  Sadness!

View PostDouble_O7, on Dec 11 2018 - 01:15, said:

Mmmmm. No. 

Like it or not, arty is causing players to leave wg completely, or going to play blitz (which would still take players from wot pc and kill the game). 

Look around on the web and arty is clearly discussed as an issue worldwide. Even the Russians hate it. Even if you ask in game what people think about arty, most of them, even some of the ones playing arty, will say they hate it. A lot of arty haters just leave and don't even bother with the forums. 

Double0, I disagree with your stance but I like having the discussion because I appreciate the angst that artillery can cause.  To that end, do you have unequivocal evidence and data that directly correlates artillery to people leaving the game?  I would love to look at it, if you did.  More to the point, though, what is it that you, personally, hate about artillery and why?  I play artillery and I have issues with it - I hate the "heat seeking" missile penetration that the HE mechanic has where the bubble expands over your tank and then it calculates the best combination of damage/pen.  It is why tanks that have little armor on the bottom are so screwed when it comes to arty "misses".  So, please, take 15-20 minutes to think on it and then write down everything with a "why" included.  I personally want to bring arty into a spot in this game that isn't overly toxic - some of that is mechanics and some of that is pure numbers allowed in game.  But, working on that is impossible without actual feedback and that feedback can't be emotional nor can it be "I hate it because!"

BillT #231 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 17:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostArclyte, on Dec 10 2018 - 02:05, said:

Anyone with a shred of common sense and good opinions on what makes a healthy game can see Arty for what it is: obnoxious, annoying and unnecessary.

I could say the same for you, but I don't propose removing you from the game.

earthman34 #232 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 17:41

Major

• Players
  • 49819 battles

View PostEmperorJuliusCaesar, on Dec 11 2018 - 04:30, said:

Yep, def getting one....no matter what.  I've been waiting 3 years to get the thing......the more ppl cry about arty, the more ppl want to play it.....they should really learn...but they can't be bothered to learn how to play with arty in the game after THOUSANDS of battles so yeah......just can't learn I guess....

The LeF is not what is was. For one thing, it can't stun, ever. Two, it never got the aim buffs that all other artillery got, so it aims slooooooowwwwllllyyyy. Three, it's damage was nerfed, along with all the others. so enjoy shooting heavy tanks 10 times in a row and doing 30 damage each time. There are much better artillery in the tree, waiting to be discovered. There's also some real stinkers there, too.

WhineMaker #233 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 17:41

Major

• Players
  • 38330 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA

View PostDouble_O7, on Dec 10 2018 - 19:41, said:

Lots of people are going in that direction, and dropping PC population. 

You realize that saying that hurts this game? 

And when can we expect your exodus to the realm of arty free games?

24cups #234 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 17:59

Major

• Players
  • 24502 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View Postearthman34, on Dec 11 2018 - 11:41, said:

The LeF is not what is was. For one thing, it can't stun, ever. Two, it never got the aim buffs that all other artillery got, so it aims slooooooowwwwllllyyyy. Three, it's damage was nerfed, along with all the others. so enjoy shooting heavy tanks 10 times in a row and doing 30 damage each time. There are much better artillery in the tree, waiting to be discovered. There's also some real stinkers there, too.

LeFH was never nerfed or buffed. 

Never did stun. Yes, you can hit heavies for little damage,  you can also 1 shot a Stug. 

It is what it always was. It's not a supertank. 

It can be fun though. 

BillT #235 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 18:08

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostFireplace4, on Dec 10 2018 - 12:05, said:

yeah but 90% of the time people don't do it or arty isn't paying any attention. All my numbers are just anecdotal but I haven't seen even 1 counter battery kill in the past 2 weeks. And you want to know why? Because it hurts the team to have your arty watching a square hoping to see a tracer for minutes on end (for some reasons arty tracers can't be seen every shot). If the other team's arty is stalling your heavy push while your arty is looking for theirs then their heavies will gain the upper hand. Also arty doesn't get enough damage from counterbattery to make it worth doing. 

The problem with CB has always been that it reduces your DPM output, because once you're loaded, you have to sit and wait for the enemy's tracer.  Even if you guess his position right, you might spend a minute just waiting for him to shoot.  In that time you could have fired twice against spotted  tanks.  And against regular  tanks, you might be able to splash two or three vehicles; with CB fire you're shooting at just one.  Finally, it does no good to stun a hidden SPG with CB fire, because nobody can finish him off for you.  But if you stun a regular tank, you'll get assist damage if anyone else shoots him.  To the extent 9.18 made that stun assist an important part of the arty player's reward, it made CB fire a bad move.

The only change I would propose is to make tracers visible for 50% to 100% longer.  Right now you have to stare at the target area like you're a zombie.  You can literally miss the tracer just by blinking at the wrong moment, and you don't dare to  glance at the mini-map .... and an arty player needs to always be aware of the mini-map.  So at least for arty in the top-down view mode, make the tracer last a little longer, so that if you chose the right area to watch you're sure  to see it.

But still, the bottom line is that whatever CB mechanism you create, the target SPG player must be able to survive it by playing correctly.  And the only thing he can really do is move a little bit in the 3-4 seconds it takes your shell to get to him. He can't angle armor, get hull down, use his camo, or duck behind a building, like other tanks are expected to do to mitigate enemy fire.  So if the SPG player moves right after he fires, he needs to be 90+% safe from being one-shotted by CB fire.

Displacing isn't hard to do.  There's zero reason not to move after each shot.  People who don't displace are just lazy or foolish, and they get away with it because CB is so rare.  But suppose we make CB fire five times as effective as it is today.  All  those foolish/lazy players will quickly learn to move after each shot, and then we're back to where we started: CB  fire will have lousy pay-off and won't be worth doing because the targets always move before your shell can get there.  All we achieved was to raise the bar for SPG players so they have to displace after every shot, and that's not going to satisfy any arty detractor.

Double_O7 #236 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 18:15

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6076 battles

View PostWhineMaker, on Dec 11 2018 - 10:41, said:

And when can we expect your exodus to the realm of arty free games?

I already do play blitz quite often, and it's better than this game by far. Mm is better, no arty, etc.

I just come back to see the holiday ops and the Christmas decorations. Then I go back and play blitz until next Christmas. 

It just amuses me how you say "go play blitz", which is a statement that a surprising amount of players listen to. They leave, love blitz and never come back to PC. Sure, you can say you love drinking salty tears, but eventually, there won't be any salty tears to drink. 

Edited by Double_O7, Dec 11 2018 - 18:22.

BillT #237 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 18:16

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostDouble_O7, on Dec 10 2018 - 19:15, said:

Like it or not, arty is causing players to leave wg completely, or going to play blitz 

No, it isn't.

Trauglodyte #238 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 18:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 23707 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostDouble_O7, on Dec 11 2018 - 18:15, said:

I already do play blitz quite often, and it's better than this game by far. Mm is better, no arty, etc.

I just come back to see the holiday ops and the Christmas decorations. Then I go back and play blitz until next Christmas. 

Would very much like it if you came back, Double 0.  More people in game is better than less and, quite frankly, I'd take more crotchety anti-arty players than the influx of LATAMs stinking up this game.  So, come on back!

Double_O7 #239 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 18:26

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6076 battles

View PostTrauglodyte, on Dec 11 2018 - 11:19, said:

Would very much like it if you came back, Double 0.  More people in game is better than less and, quite frankly, I'd take more crotchety anti-arty players than the influx of LATAMs stinking up this game.  So, come on back!

I'll be around for about a month. If I can get a sheriff's account then I would play a whole lot more because it would be a whole lot more fun, even when I explode because I know someone is getting some free gold! 

EmperorJuliusCaesar #240 Posted Dec 12 2018 - 02:36

Major

• Players
  • 37052 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View Postearthman34, on Dec 11 2018 - 23:41, said:

View PostEmperorJuliusCaesar, on Dec 11 2018 - 04:30, said:

The lefH never did stun.....it's completely unchanged.  When the rebalance was announced WG said the 2 prem arties would not be changed......it's not been nerfed, but keep lying to people.  I'm guessing you don't want people to get it, good luck with that, many have been waiting years to get it.

Also tagged with artillery, arty, remove

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users