PLEASE JUST REMOVE ARTY

artillery arty remove

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

Poll: How much to you hate ary (575 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

How do you feel about arty as it stands in WoT?

1. Voted I have absolutely no problem with artillery (326 votes [56.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.70%

2. Voted Arty is toxic and should be removed (210 votes [36.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.52%

3. I rage quit to arty often. (39 votes [6.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

Vote Hide poll

Kerosedge #61 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 18:32

Captain

• Players
  • 21477 battles
  • [CRIMZ] CRIMZ
The crying and [edited]about arty and players who hate it are more toxic than arty.

Casual_Boops #62 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 18:35

Captain

• -Players-
  • 35613 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
I always love these threads because it gives me new people to add to my ignore list. You defend arty? I don't want to hear what you have to say, ever again.

WhineMaker #63 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:01

Major

• Players
  • 38618 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA

View PostJenniferGoines, on Dec 06 2018 - 07:01, said:

Arty is a terrible mechanic but what makes it super toxic is the combination of xvm sniping with arty

Does WG have XVM in the vanilla client? Does everyone that plays arty use XVM? 

For some reason or another, I can't find the option to select XVM anywhere... ;)

So there goes your XVM sniping theory out the window... :amazed:

View PostFireplace4, on Dec 06 2018 - 08:01, said:

I get it, people like arty and it's a part of the game. I accept that, but something needs to be done about the fact that they encourage camping, stifle any aggressive play, and are untouchable until late in the game.

I don't know exactly what should be done, maybe the square arty fired from gets lit up so players who weren't hit can get an idea of how to get safe? But the fact that arty can hit heviums for 1/4 to 1/3 of their health every 30 seconds from the complete opposite side of the map with 0 fear of retaliation is unacceptable. Most of the brawling points that define the map are open to arty fire with no way of getting arty safe meaning that you either need to suck it up and just take the hits hoping your team can push through before their arty kills you or hide behind the people actually engaging and use them as meat shields.

Arty does not, in its current form, encourage good gameplay.

Another solution, make it so arty cannot fire until it has aimed for 1-2 seconds. This would encourage tankers to stay mobile. In compensation for this maybe give arty slightly better accuracy (it's no fun to aim at something for 6 seconds and have your shell land nowhere near where you aimed).

And for those of you defending arty based on the fact that it focuses gopd players... You realize that mentality is anticompetitive right? You are saying that because you aren't good enough then the people who are should be punished. How about as soon as someone hits 2x their health in damage they immediately take damage at a rate of 1/16 their total health per 10 seconds? I know this is hyperbole, but I'm trying to stress how ridiculous it is to say that players should be punished for being good at the game. You want the good players to stop beating you and outplaying you? Learn the game, watch streams, watch youtube videos, look up armor models, try new strategies. It's how the good players got where they are, why shouldn't you have to strive for that? I'm not claiming to be good by any stretch of the imagination by the way.

TLDR: not a fan of arty, but I can accept people enjoy it and it is here to stay. However something needs to be done because it is a fundamentally broken class that does not encourage good gameplay.

The bolded portion of your post already exists in WoT. Go into your settings and make sure your battle notifications are checked(standard or advanced). When the notifications are checked, a giant arrow shows on your screen the direction where the shot was fired from. Adding a lit square would need to added for all shots, including the double bushed TD's...

View PostEcho_Saber, on Dec 06 2018 - 08:27, said:

I cannot recall a single time where a tank being stunned was the difference between me not shooting it and me shooting it.  

Arty just doesn't meaningfully contribute like that.  It just makes the game less fun for the guys who are getting permastunned AND hurt by something you cannot avoid.

If you are getting perma stunned, maybe it's your playstyle that is the problem, not arty. Moving from your favorite hull down, stat padding location, would be a suggestion I'd make... :facepalm:

View PostCanadian_Mano, on Dec 06 2018 - 09:28, said:

Personally, I love arty, because having it means it will be consistently rebalanced, IE made worse(because it's a bad gameplay mechanic), and that is pure justice. Nothing like seeing arty apologists come on to the forum to whine about their EZ mode tank being nerfed, like when it was limited to 5 per team, then 3, then economy change, then stun rebalance. It really is the best, because when people with 2 functioning braincells come on and hate arty, those apologists sure do come out! and man, what a deafening roar those 40%ers can make. Then when arty gets the shaft, and literally the entire playerbase rejoices, it's those subhuman arty apologists who come on and cry rivers.

If you are getting so triggered from a game's mechanics, maybe the game is too difficult for you. Lucky for you, WG has an arty free option available, just for you. .. :child:

Can you say "WoT Blitz"?

Sure you can... :great:

Time to queue up my arty. I need the last 50k base xp for the free Russian td before the weekend is over...

Can you say "Incoming!!!"?

UwU_ethan_nyotices_u_OwO #64 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:05

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 15696 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0
I'm with you, OP. Artillery is absolutely toxic and needs to be tweaked or removed. Especially 3 arty.

UwU_ethan_nyotices_u_OwO #65 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:06

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 15696 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0

View Postpickpocket293, on Dec 06 2018 - 12:35, said:

I always love these threads because it gives me new people to add to my ignore list. You defend arty? I don't want to hear what you have to say, ever again.

^^^^^^

Flarvin #66 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:08

Major

• Players
  • 54862 battles

View Postpickpocket293, on Dec 06 2018 - 12:35, said:

Weak minds need shelter from opinions that don’t match their view. 

BillT #67 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:08

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostYANKEE137, on Dec 06 2018 - 08:57, said:

I'd like to see arty given more to do.  

1- smoke rounds/screens

2- star shells if we ever get night maps.

3- airburst shells for enhanced performance against open topped AFV's ( 

I really like the idea of giving arty more ammo types to add complexity to SPG game play.  We used to have that with AP and  HEAT  options, but they were removed to  reduce  one-shot kills.  With non-damaging ammunition, there are problems.

Arty has the longest reload times; in particular, long enough that a target that was spotted when you start reloading will have disappeared long before you get reloaded.  It's rarely practical for an arty to ditch the ammo he's currently loading (or has loaded) and start loading a different type.  If arty has to decide 30 seconds in advance that he wants to fire a smoke round, by the time he gets it loaded it will probably no longer be very useful.

Second, if arty fires smoke, what's in it for him?  Like everyone else he's playing the game to earn XP and credits, and those are mainly earned based on damage and assist damage. Winning the match is some incentive, but the system normally rewards players with extra XP for contributing to victories.  Here, it would be a penalty; you're asking the SPG player to altruistically give up his earnings so his whole, random team benefits.  So why would an arty player fire a smoke round instead of an HE round?  You need a way to give him XP and credits for firing smoke, and I don't see a way to do that that rewards him for placing the smoke well.  

Illumination shells would work better.  The SPG would get credit for spotting damage for all the targets that get spotted thanks to his star shell, and it's not hard to imagine situations where you'd get more XP that way than from firing an HE round.  But I doubt WOT plans to introduce a night mode.  That would create a lot of short-range combat that would unbalance all the tanks.  (It would completely screw soft-skinned TDs and snipers, forcing them to brawl like everyone else.  All that close-range fighting also reduces the  effectiveness of armor.)

As for airburst HE, open topped vehicles already take a heavy penalty from HE damage. So you'd have to remove that and only give extra damage if the SPG uses air burst.  (What about direct fire HE, though?  Do you take away the bonus damage direct fire tanks get for firing HE at open-topped vehicles, since they can't do air bursts?)  And then we run into the loading time issue.  I see an Obj 263 so I select air burst.  Before I can get loaded, he starts moving and disappears, and now the only targets I see are hard-tops.  My air burst is useless.  With that risk I'll always choose ground burst, because at least that way I can hurt anything I see -- even the Obj 263 if he's still visible. 

GeoMonster #68 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:12

Captain

• -Players-
  • 36344 battles
  • [W0LF-] W0LF-

View PostEcho_Saber, on Dec 06 2018 - 10:27, said:

I cannot recall a single time where a tank being stunned was the difference between me not shooting it and me shooting it.  

Arty just doesn't meaningfully contribute like that.  It just makes the game less fun for the guys who are getting permastunned AND hurt by something you cannot avoid.

Wow ... for a good player that is really surprising to hear.  Maybe you don't fully understand the stun mechanics?  A stunned tank has problems.  It is slow as molasses in winter.  Reload is much longer.  From a distance, they would have a hard time hitting you since gun aim is bad.  Etc.

For someone NOT to take advantage of a stunned tank is leaving damage and possibly wins on the table.  You may be able to get 2-3 shots off for every 1 of theirs.  Stunning a tank with a long reload makes the reload time so long the tank can more easily be dispatched. 

I try to stun tanks where it will be of most use to my team.  Stun them and let teammates more easily dispatch them with getting less damage to themselves.

I am calling either BS on your post or total ignorance.  Good players take advantage of these opportunities.  A stunned tank at a distance from you can be more easily shot without worrying too much about him hitting you.  Best case is that you don't realize how good you have it with arty stunning your enemies.  But to ignore stunned tanks because you hate arty seems to be sheer stupidity.  Fortunately there are a LOT of players out there who DO go right after tanks that are stunned knowing that they are more easily killed.  They DO appreciate their own Arty and will call for help for Arty to help stun or kill a tanks.  From the top down arty perspective I see it quite often.

the_Deadly_Bulb #69 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:13

Major

• Players
  • 28190 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostAltivoMaximus, on Dec 06 2018 - 05:23, said:

Arty was added to the game to reduce camping.. all I feel comfortable doing in any game with more then one arty is camp these days. If I'm on the front lines theirs a pretty good chance I'm losing at least a third of my HP to arty., especially in a medium.

If WG is so [edited]worried about keeping the [edited]arty population of players playing, you might as well call is WorldofClickers because I'm getting close to just not playing until arty is removed or drastically changed... again. Why do we need the stun? just remove the stun and keep the damage where it is. I'm not upset for hitting for 300 in my tier 10 arty. why would i be? I'm sitting at the back of the map like a [edited].

Arty was not added to the game.

It was included, from the start.

If arty is the excuse you need to quit, bye.

BillT #70 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View Postel_mucho_dingdong, on Dec 06 2018 - 09:18, said:

And what do we have here? The green texted shill used 3 of his accounts to try to swing the poll.

And despite stuffing the ballot box, his side is still losing, 60 to 40.   In an election  that would be considered a huge landslide.

el_mucho_dingdong #71 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:18

Captain

• Players
  • 23380 battles
  • [NCA] NCA

View PostBillT, on Dec 06 2018 - 10:14, said:

And despite stuffing the ballot box, his side is still losing, 60 to 40.   In an election  that would be considered a huge landslide.

That tells me that most people do not have an issue with arty. Just a small percentage of whiners do. These threads are too much fun. I may have to dust off my T92, CGC and inspire others to make threads like this one.

the_Deadly_Bulb #72 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:20

Major

• Players
  • 28190 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postel_mucho_dingdong, on Dec 06 2018 - 06:18, said:

And what do we have here? The green texted shill used 3 of his accounts to try to swing the poll.

Nothing new there.

George has Multiple Personality Disorder when it comes to forum polls.

He always votes early and often.

Even with his multiplicity of votes the first option is still way out front. :bush:

BillT #73 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:22

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostPanman69, on Dec 06 2018 - 10:06, said:

Well, I'm not doing any more of these polls. Voting is supposed to be private so others can't ostracized you for your opinion.

Suit yourself, but your  normal comments give people plenty of reasons to ostracize you anyway. :-)

Seriously, I can't imagine any vote I've made in the WOT forums I would be embarrassed to have publicized.  Can you name an example?

GeoMonster #74 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:27

Captain

• -Players-
  • 36344 battles
  • [W0LF-] W0LF-

I wish when people put together polls that they spend more than 5 seconds thinking about the choices.  If the OP was really looking to get some good feedback, then there should have been more choices than HATE, REALLY HATE, LOVE.  That bias shows the OP just HATES arty and just wants some confirmation from the community that arty is toxic.  It is just yet another whine thread.

There is an in-between crowd.  That is, Arty is OK in the game, but some changes are needed to reduce its effect.  The same way people feel the Japanese Heavies need some reduction in its effect.  So, this poll is only serving to try to make you feel good about everybody hating Arty --- unfortunately the results show otherwise.  Take away Copeland's 7 probably votes (one per account of his) and your hatred is in the minority.

I like arty, but feel some more changes are needed.  Like a max of 2 per game, reduced stun time, etc.

ProfessionalFinn #75 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 26380 battles

Need more arty not less.  

More arty = more fun whether I am playing SPGs or not.

Just played another,  much less fun, almost arty free battle in my IS-4, screen shot below.

GeoMonster #76 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:30

Captain

• -Players-
  • 36344 battles
  • [W0LF-] W0LF-

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Dec 06 2018 - 12:20, said:

Nothing new there.

George has Multiple Personality Disorder when it comes to forum polls.

He always votes early and often.

Even with his multiplicity of votes the first option is still way out front. :bush:

And don't forget that he has SEVEN accounts ... not all with the name PREDDY in them.  So, just figure he voted 7 times against Arty.  And when he gets 6 thumbs up, you know that those 6 are from his other accounts!

the_Deadly_Bulb #77 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:32

Major

• Players
  • 28190 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostJenniferGoines, on Dec 06 2018 - 07:01, said:

Arty is a terrible mechanic but what makes it super toxic is the combination of xvm sniping with arty

XVM sniping is just another crutch, generally deployed by the better than average players to prop up a sagging e-peen.

XVM sniping is a myth.

XVM will show you who the better players are.

XVM doesn't show arty players (or any others) where those players are.

Player (regardless of skill) still have to be spotted, and for arty to hit them they have to make themselves a target.

XVM does NOTHING to assist in this regard.

In addition (if you ever played arty you'd know) with the time it takes to traverse an arty gun and aim it you would never be hitting a player unless they were parked and spotted for quite some time.

With arty, you shoot whoever is "lucky" enough to park where you can hit them.

Their XVM colour is irrelevant.

That said its still just as much fun to destroy a unicorn with an arty as it is with any vehicle, and no less difficult if they don't offer themselves up.

If you're a sitting duck, you're going to get whacked.

That's not getting XVM sniped, that's just getting straight up targeted as an opportunity.

GeoMonster #78 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:35

Captain

• -Players-
  • 36344 battles
  • [W0LF-] W0LF-

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Dec 06 2018 - 12:28, said:

Need more arty not less.  

More arty = more fun whether I am playing SPGs or not.

Just played another,  much less fun, almost arty free battle in my IS-4, screen shot below.

No ... 3 is enough.  I'd even think 2 is enough.  But watching 3 arties target the same tank independently from each other, and watching the shells hit all within 1-2 seconds is priceless.  :)

el_mucho_dingdong #79 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:39

Captain

• Players
  • 23380 battles
  • [NCA] NCA

View PostGeoMonster, on Dec 06 2018 - 10:35, said:

No ... 3 is enough.  I'd even think 2 is enough.  But watching 3 arties target the same tank independently from each other, and watching the shells hit all within 1-2 seconds is priceless.  :)

I agree that 3 is enough, but they need to bring back arty platooning, (and give me back me AP rounds).

In a way, I would like to see the cap on arty removed, just to see how much the community really dislikes arty. We have all seen those old screenshots with 12 arty per side :)

GeoMonster #80 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 36344 battles
  • [W0LF-] W0LF-

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Dec 06 2018 - 12:32, said:

XVM sniping is just another crutch, generally deployed by the better than average players to prop up a sagging e-peen.

XVM sniping is a myth.

XVM will show you who the better players are.

XVM doesn't show arty players (or any others) where those players are.

Player (regardless of skill) still have to be spotted, and for arty to hit them they have to make themselves a target.

XVM does NOTHING to assist in this regard.

In addition (if you ever played arty you'd know) with the time it takes to traverse an arty gun and aim it you would never be hitting a player unless they were parked and spotted for quite some time.

With arty, you shoot whoever is "lucky" enough to park where you can hit them.

Their XVM colour is irrelevant.

That said its still just as much fun to destroy a unicorn with an arty as it is with any vehicle, and no less difficult if they don't offer themselves up.

If you're a sitting duck, you're going to get whacked.

That's not getting XVM sniped, that's just getting straight up targeted as an opportunity.

I tend to agree.  I go after targets near where my team is ... this way I can get lots of damage after a stun.  I also focus on groups of tanks.  Stunning 4 at once is great!  Killing 2 at once is great too.  Focusing on the better players does not necessarily help my team.  They may be more difficult to hit, they more more, and I may not get the return (damage after stun) that I would by going after other tanks and getting their guns out of the battle!

It is funny that in Strongholds teams learned NOT to bunch up or stay still after being spotting --- or risk a bombing or artillery barrage coming down on you.

Also tagged with artillery, arty, remove

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users