PLEASE JUST REMOVE ARTY

artillery arty remove

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

Poll: How much to you hate ary (575 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

How do you feel about arty as it stands in WoT?

1. Voted I have absolutely no problem with artillery (326 votes [56.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.70%

2. Voted Arty is toxic and should be removed (210 votes [36.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.52%

3. I rage quit to arty often. (39 votes [6.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

Vote Hide poll

the_Deadly_Bulb #81 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:40

Major

• Players
  • 28311 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postel_mucho_dingdong, on Dec 06 2018 - 07:47, said:

:trollface:

That's his wife's bike.

His has little green pedal blocks and a cute sign that says "I am a pilot". :trollface:

maddogatc #82 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32245 battles

View PostAwestryker, on Dec 06 2018 - 09:17, said:

Just limit arty to 2 per match per side...

Agreed. They did it for awhile a number of patches ago. It was great. Then WG put it back to three.

GeoMonster #83 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:53

Captain

• -Players-
  • 36376 battles
  • [W0LF-] W0LF-

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Dec 06 2018 - 12:40, said:

That's his wife's bike.

His has little green pedal blocks and a cute sign that says "I am a pilot". :trollface:

Too much laughter in this thread.  :) .... Don't forget he has cardboard wings that says 747.  And boxes with destinations like Japan, Thailand, China, etc.

BillT #84 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 19:58

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostFireplace4, on Dec 06 2018 - 11:01, said:

I get it, people like arty and it's a part of the game. I accept that, but something needs to be done about the fact that they encourage camping, stifle any aggressive play, and are untouchable until late in the game.

Yet,the game has prospered for seven years with artillery.  You think the game would be more successful without it, but Wargaming and I think it would be less successful without arty.  And WG is betting big money.  So I think you're wrong: nothing needs to be done -- at least, not without substantial proof  that it would increase revenue.

What I would support are changes that make arty more difficult to play (and thus, more interesting), but aren't just an overall nerf to the class.  In other words, a change that makes bad arty players have less effect than they do now, while good arty players have more effect than they do now.  On average, the effectiveness would be unchanged.  So this sort of change won't satisfy you.

View PostFireplace4, on Dec 06 2018 - 11:01, said:

Arty does not, in its current form, encourage good gameplay.

That's only true  if you assume that "trying to mitigate the threat of artillery" isn't part of good gameplay.  To you, maybe, a good game is one where everyone is constantly moving, running and gunning, and battles last four minutes.   To me, a good game is where people play cautiously and deliberately, and it lasts 10 minutes. I reject your definition of "good gameplay".

Block Quote

And for those of you defending arty based on the fact that it focuses gopd players... You realize that mentality is anticompetitive right? You are saying that because you aren't good enough then the people who are should be punished

I don't really play this game to compete.  I just like to blow up tanks.  I'd be perfectly happy if they were bots, if they could give me a challenge.  I accept PVP as a compromise that gives me the kind of game I enjoy playing.  As an average player, I think the game is plenty competitive already.

Good play is already amply rewarded by the game: you get XP, bonds, and credits faster, so you progress faster.  You finish events faster.  You get into better clans, so you win more gold and bonds in Clan Wars, plus CW rewards tanks.  You complete the personal missions faster for those reward tanks.  Now you want to remove artillery so good players will be rewarded even more, while inferior players lose a tool that you say allows them to punch up a bit and have more fun?  Naw, that's a step in the wrong direction.  We need to let inferior players have fun, even when they're facing unicums.  As for the unicums... if a 60% win rate doesn't make you ecstatic to play this game, I don't know what will.  I'm not going to take away fun from the tomatoes just so you can win 61%.

Nobody's calling for added punishment for good players.  We're just saying there's no need to make the game even more rewarding for them than it has been since inception. 

maddogatc #85 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32245 battles
As long as 3/5/7 MM exists and WG keeps ridiculous tanks, such as the OP heavily armored Japanese and Russian heavies, in the game then arty is needed. Often arty it is the only reasonable counter to these tanks when your top tiers have been taken out.

the_Deadly_Bulb #86 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:02

Major

• Players
  • 28311 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostGeoMonster, on Dec 06 2018 - 10:53, said:

Too much laughter in this thread.  :) .... Don't forget he has cardboard wings that says 747.  And boxes with destinations like Japan, Thailand, China, etc.

Something like this? :great:

Shibadogdog #87 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:03

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 53147 battles
  • [DPS] DPS

View PostAltivoMaximus, on Dec 06 2018 - 13:23, said:

Arty was added to the game to reduce camping.. all I feel comfortable doing in any game with more then one arty is camp these days. If I'm on the front lines theirs a pretty good chance I'm losing at least a third of my HP to arty., especially in a medium. 

If WG is so [edited]worried about keeping the [edited]arty population of players playing, you might as well call is WorldofClickers because I'm getting close to just not playing until arty is removed or drastically changed... again. Why do we need the stun? just remove the stun and keep the damage where it is. I'm not upset for hitting for 300 in my tier 10 arty. why would i be? I'm sitting at the back of the map like a [edited].

FYI Arty were not added to reduce camping... arty are in the game for the same reason as every other class of tank. Its a warfare game about heavy weapons period they are part of the game take it or leave it. 

Flarvin #88 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:03

Major

• Players
  • 54888 battles

View PostBillT, on Dec 06 2018 - 13:58, said:

To you, maybe, a good game is one where everyone is constantly moving, running and gunning, and battles last four minutes.   To me, a good game is where people play cautiously and deliberately, and it lasts 10 minutes. I reject your definition of "good gameplay".

Failure to capitalize on the other team’s mistakes, i.e. bad gameplay, causes long matches. 

GeoMonster #89 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:05

Captain

• -Players-
  • 36376 battles
  • [W0LF-] W0LF-

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Dec 06 2018 - 13:02, said:

Something like this? :great:

Enough already!  I am going to spit up my iced tea.

the_Deadly_Bulb #90 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:08

Major

• Players
  • 28311 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostGeoMonster, on Dec 06 2018 - 11:05, said:

Enough already!  I am going to spit up my iced tea.

It even has one of his clan tags on the "fuselage".

Bet he can make an awesome "Eeeeeeaaero" sound when he's "in the clouds"

You just know the cargo is always in his pants. :great:

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Dec 06 2018 - 20:13.

BillT #91 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:12

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View Postpickpocket293, on Dec 06 2018 - 12:35, said:

I always love these threads because it gives me new people to add to my ignore list. You defend arty? I don't want to hear what you have to say, ever again.

Cool. 

That's B-I-L-L-T .

the_Deadly_Bulb #92 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:14

Major

• Players
  • 28311 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostBillT, on Dec 06 2018 - 11:12, said:

Cool.

That's B-I-L-L-T .

Show him to the ignore button Bill. :great:

Markd73 #93 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:17

Major

• Players
  • 32795 battles

View PostAltivoMaximus, on Dec 06 2018 - 13:23, said:

Arty was added to the game to reduce camping.. all I feel comfortable doing in any game with more then one arty is camp these days. If I'm on the front lines theirs a pretty good chance I'm losing at least a third of my HP to arty., especially in a medium. 

If WG is so [edited]worried about keeping the [edited]arty population of players playing, you might as well call is WorldofClickers because I'm getting close to just not playing until arty is removed or drastically changed... again. Why do we need the stun? just remove the stun and keep the damage where it is. I'm not upset for hitting for 300 in my tier 10 arty. why would i be? I'm sitting at the back of the map like a [edited].

Looks like you have a minority opinion based on your unscientific poll

BillT #94 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:18

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Dec 06 2018 - 13:40, said:

That's his wife's bike.

BillT #95 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:21

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Dec 06 2018 - 14:14, said:

I don't ignore anyone. And I only blacklist people who spam in game.  Words will never hurt me, and no matter how stupid someone is, I can learn something from listening to them.

Granted, there are some people whose postings I just skim

the_Deadly_Bulb #96 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:21

Major

• Players
  • 28311 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostBillT, on Dec 06 2018 - 11:18, said:

Smokin'

BillT #97 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Dec 06 2018 - 14:14, said:

Anyway, if he ignores me he'll miss out on all my brilliant Tankmas Carols, so he's just punishing himself  :-)  
http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/591970-tankmas-carols-thread/#topmost

Fireplace4 #98 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30791 battles

View PostBillT, on Dec 06 2018 - 13:58, said:

Yet,the game has prospered for seven years with artillery.  You think the game would be more successful without it, but Wargaming and I think it would be less successful without arty.  And WG is betting big money.  So I think you're wrong: nothing needs to be done -- at least, not without substantial proof  that it would increase revenue.

What I would support are changes that make arty more difficult to play (and thus, more interesting), but aren't just an overall nerf to the class.  In other words, a change that makes bad arty players have less effect than they do now, while good arty players have more effect than they do now.  On average, the effectiveness would be unchanged.  So this sort of change won't satisfy you.

That's only true  if you assume that "trying to mitigate the threat of artillery" isn't part of good gameplay.  To you, maybe, a good game is one where everyone is constantly moving, running and gunning, and battles last four minutes.   To me, a good game is where people play cautiously and deliberately, and it lasts 10 minutes. I reject your definition of "good gameplay".

I don't really play this game to compete.  I just like to blow up tanks.  I'd be perfectly happy if they were bots, if they could give me a challenge.  I accept PVP as a compromise that gives me the kind of game I enjoy playing.  As an average player, I think the game is plenty competitive already.

Good play is already amply rewarded by the game: you get XP, bonds, and credits faster, so you progress faster.  You finish events faster.  You get into better clans, so you win more gold and bonds in Clan Wars, plus CW rewards tanks.  You complete the personal missions faster for those reward tanks.  Now you want to remove artillery so good players will be rewarded even more, while inferior players lose a tool that you say allows them to punch up a bit and have more fun?  Naw, that's a step in the wrong direction.  We need to let inferior players have fun, even when they're facing unicums.  As for the unicums... if a 60% win rate doesn't make you ecstatic to play this game, I don't know what will.  I'm not going to take away fun from the tomatoes just so you can win 61%.

Nobody's calling for added punishment for good players.  We're just saying there's no need to make the game even more rewarding for them than it has been since inception. 

my replies to your points

1. I never said to remove arty. I insinuated that I was unhappy with arty, and I am, but I did not suggeat removing the class. I suggested it needed changes and tried to give examples.

2. I'll sum up what I find frustrating about arty: there's no risk incurred when damaging me, they can fire over hard cover, they negate any hill play, they are rng dependent, and they can shoot beyond render range. If these aspects were addressed and arty was still at the same effectiveness I would be happy.

3. Why I said arty doesn't promote good gameplay is becauase it incentivises players who know what they're doing to use and abuse their teammates who don't. Let them lead the pushes and take the hits. Pushes need to happn in this game or every game would be a draw. Also, arty limits the options of all other tank classes, it cuts the map into tiny pieces of arty safe areas and no one can play outside of these locations. And as you mentioned the skill floor is incredibly high while the skill ceiling is incredibly low (meaning that the difference between good arty players and bad ones is small) due to it being rng dependent. Any gameplay that is luck dependent punishes skill and rewards lack of skill.

4. This is a competetive online game and that has been the way the game was designed since the beginning.

5. Again, players should not be punished for being good. I'm not advocating that good players be given a benefit

BlaqWolf #99 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:26

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22262 battles
  • [W--W] W--W
Wah wah wah... someone touched my no no place and I can't hit them back.

What, if it rains to you demand that they take rain away, too?

Arty is in the game, always has been, always will be.  It's been nerfed and nerfed and nerfed again until it's pretty much ineffective except for the current stun mechanic.
Learn to handle it, or find a game with no arty.

Taggeth #100 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 20:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11705 battles
  • [FRAY] FRAY

View PostMarkd73, on Dec 06 2018 - 14:17, said:

Looks like you have a minority opinion based on your unscientific poll

I noticed that too and find it hilarious.  "Ooohhhh, so toxic.  Oh wait, only 40% agree with me.  Yikes!  Time to move to Blitz and quit bothering the other players."

Also tagged with artillery, arty, remove

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users