what determines tracked or not

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

DeleriousDeadwood #1 Posted Dec 08 2018 - 02:33

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8323 battles

Greetings folks,

What determines tracked or not? Is it who does the shooting (it seems TDs track me all the time regardless of what type tank I play.)

I'm curious about location because it doesn't seem like hitting either the front or rear drive wheels do anything ... on anything ... from my perspective tracking when I'm doing the shooting is random and yet when I'm getting hit the tracks come off pretty easy.

So it is RNG or is there a science to this?

Thanks in advance for your time ...

TristanXD6 #2 Posted Dec 08 2018 - 02:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26059 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

Any hits to the tracks causes damage to them. When tracks become fully broken and turn red, your tank becomes immobilized until your tracks are fixed. Sometimes when you hit a track, you'll only damage it but not fully destroy it, thus you bring it down to yellow instead of red.

If you're using a high caliber gun, you can fire HE into the tracks to blow them off more reliably. Otherwise, your best bet is to continue what you've been doing and aim for the drive wheels.

Another reason players aim for the drive wheels is to both track your opponent and cause damage to the tank. If the shot goes through the tracks and into the side of the enemy tank, you'll damage to it as well. If your reload is faster than their repair time, then you can keep your opponent perma-tracked while you're still dealing damage with every hit.

Here's a helpful video I found online that goes a bit more indepth.

Edited by TristanXD6, Dec 08 2018 - 02:49.

heavymetal1967 #3 Posted Dec 08 2018 - 03:46

Major

• Players
  • 84052 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

Another thing OP.  Modules, including tracks, have module HP.  This is different than regular HP.  Each gun can do a certain amount of module damage and if a tank's module(s) take enough damage (50 percent or more iirc) and if a tank's module(s) they get damaged.   If their HP take full damage they get destroyed.

Tanks.gg is a good site to look at how much module damage a gun does and hp for individual modules. 

https://tanks.gg/

And the wiki hasn't been updated regularly, but afaik nothing's changed re: modules. 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Module_and_Crew_Damage

Note the bit about saving throws. 

Where's that d20?  If you got that reference you may be a geek. ;)

Still miffed about that show being cancelled.

dunniteowl #4 Posted Dec 08 2018 - 04:22

Major

• Players
  • 38100 battles

View PostDeleriousDeadwood, on Dec 07 2018 - 19:33, said:

Greetings folks,

What determines tracked or not? Is it who does the shooting (it seems TDs track me all the time regardless of what type tank I play.)

I'm curious about location because it doesn't seem like hitting either the front or rear drive wheels do anything ... on anything ... from my perspective tracking when I'm doing the shooting is random and yet when I'm getting hit the tracks come off pretty easy.

So it is RNG or is there a science to this?

Thanks in advance for your time ...

Whoever shoots the tracks is the one who does it.  Most times, I think getting tracked is someone snapping off a shot and RNG plays its part and the shot goes low, taking out a track.  Now if you mean the KIND of vehicle shooting then NO.  The type of gun makes all the difference and the ammo being used does as well.

In normal AP rounds, hitting the track generally does the trick and it has to hit:

A) The tracks themselves

B) Bogies or Sprockets

C) Drive Wheels or Gears

Depending on the tank you are shooting at (or the tank being shot at, as it were) and the tier, some tracks will require multiple hits to track.  As an example, in my AT-2, at tier V, aiming at an OI-Exp's tracks takes two, sometimes three direct hits to track using AP rounds.  In my JgPzIV at tier VI, I can do an OI-Exp's track in a single shot using AP.  In the Grille or Bishop (both tier V SPGs, the other two are TDs), I only have HE and they track just about anything in a single shot, due to the way HE operates compared to AP rounds.

Tracks are one of the weakest parts of your tanks, no matter what tank or tier it is.  Tier for tier, any tank at the same tier should have no problem taking out a track in most cases in a single shot using AP.  Using HE rounds and depending on bore size of the gun, you should be able to track any tank at tier and up to two tiers in a single shot.  Of course, this is going to depend on the size of your gun and the type of tank you are shooting at.  The more heavily armored and High HP tanks are going to have correspondingly 'tougher' tracks as well, so even using HE if you're two tiers down might not do the trick, though you can usually count on HE to track an opponent in most cases.

Hope that is useful to you or anyone else.  Any mistakes or errors are purely my own and I would appreciate knowing what, if anything I might have wrong about this.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

DeleriousDeadwood #5 Posted Dec 08 2018 - 17:00

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8323 battles
Good stuff here, I'll put it to use .. thanks very much !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users