1324 Battles In

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

BadTiger62 #1 Posted Dec 10 2018 - 04:34

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6856 battles
  • [MILKY] MILKY
I feel like I have done ok and exceedingly poorly - the game has a steep learning curve and you need to research and not only know every tank you move into but also you should have some basic info on your enemy as well. Like knowing the reload and aiming times and frontal armor vs your penetration rating when it comes to shooting at people. Also committing to memory where the weak spots are (that is if you have time to look for them). My one major issue with the game is the two tier up battles, as I call them. I don't see the point other than to give the upper tier something easy to shoot at. No matter how good you are, no matter what you do, if you run into a top tier tank or tanks you have very little chance of coming out on top. Yes I get that its a team work deal and you should cover for the higher tier tanks but in so many cases, even when you are in a support role the primary gets knocked out and you are definitely next. New people or noobs like me are thrust into these battles with little or no experience and it becomes exceedingly frustrating and the fun just drains out of you - even winning battles 15-2 has little fun in it. No hope = no fun and I know a lot of you know this and I appreciate an equal number of you preservered to make it to where you are. What I would really like to see is a place (server) where noobs like me and the rest of the newcomers could battle it out and learn the ropes in a one tier up or down match - at least for 6 months or so until you had a bit more experience - maybe even limit it to tier V or VI at the most. Always fighting two tiers above my tank rating is so frustrating and it just zaps the fun right out of me.

Buttknuckle #2 Posted Dec 10 2018 - 04:48

Major

• Players
  • 53609 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ

The new player experience in this game has always been awful. I uninstalled it at least 3 times before i hit 5K games. I suspect it is even worse now days.

I think having a kiddie pool of sorts would help. A decent tutorial would be a major plus too.

Captain_Rownd #3 Posted Dec 10 2018 - 05:05

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3484 battles
If you have time for clans that is the best way to get started, but if you don't then as a solo player we are just food at the low end of the food chain.  After 6 months you aren't going to feel much different - just higher Tier food.  When I started 2 years ago I made my low-Tier life much easier by purchasing a couple War Chests so I could put binoculars, rammers, etc on all my regular vehicles and train the crews up, plus a few Tier 3 premiums that are a lot more capable than the tech tree vehicles.  I never sweat being low Tier.  Even much of the same-Tier stuff is going to wreck whatever I'm in.  Embrace death.  Embrace the PTW.  Drink lots of mezcal and rum based cocktails.  Shoot the place up until flames come out of all your hatches.  Enjoy the very nice graphics.  Do what you can and don't sweat what you can't. 

BadTiger62 #4 Posted Dec 10 2018 - 05:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6856 battles
  • [MILKY] MILKY
Good advice Captain Rownd

Captain_Rownd #5 Posted Dec 10 2018 - 05:19

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3484 battles

View PostBadTiger62, on Dec 09 2018 - 18:14, said:

Good advice Captain Rownd

Lots of people would probably say I'm full of BS, except for the part about clanning.  ;)  I spent a ton of $ to make the game playable early on, but most people won't do that.  If they didn't introduce those swedish TDs I thought were so cool back in the 1980's I might never have got started in Tanks or stuck with it.  The first month was so frustrating...  ;D  But dang the HD graphics are nice this year. 

Edited by Captain_Rownd, Dec 10 2018 - 05:20.

Roggg2 #6 Posted Dec 10 2018 - 15:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 22906 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
Tier 3 is still "one up" I think.

Dogsoldier6 #7 Posted Dec 10 2018 - 17:51

Major

• Players
  • 63656 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

I really think there should be a 'kiddie pool' for new players. Say like 2,000-3,000 battles and nothing over tier 3 in those fights.

Just to help the new players get the hang of the game BEFORE they are fed to the lions :izmena:

dunniteowl #8 Posted Dec 10 2018 - 18:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

As a FTPP, I have spent no money on this game.  Even so, the moment I had enough credits, I started placing modules on my vehicles.  I think that was at tier III.  I couldn't demount them, because I had unwisely spent all my Gold from my initial account opening on stuff I didn't realize I could get with credits -- and another Garage Slot, which took 300 of my then 500 gold.  Had I only known how hard Gold was to come by for such as myself...  Still would have gone with the Garage Slot, though.

Even so, I sold my tanks WITH the Module Equipment on them!  Why?  Because you could:

Demount for 10 Gold (which I didn't have)  or

Destroy It (which, on its face sounds INSANE) or

Leave it on and sell it with the vehicle (which gives you half the price back to you; think of them as 'rental modules' at that point)  Ding Ding Ding

In operating in this fashion, my tanks were a bit more able than the average noober who didn't purchase things like that.

I also bought 'rental' camo and applied them to my tanks, because any advantage I could get, I was going to get.

I also never had a 50% crew.  For 20K credits a member, I could have them at 75% right off the bat.  That's a 50% Improvement relative to a Free 50% crew, so of course I would.

Here's what I discovered:  It was TOTALLY WORTH IT!  The credits spent doing these things was made back in my living a bit longer, doing a bit more damage from living longer and winning more than I would have otherwise (even if it was only 2-5% more, it was MORE) and that paid off in more overall credits and XP in relative terms.

In the process I learned many things.  Even so, at some point I had to come to the forums to learn more.  What I learned is that there are about four to five things in terms of information available to each player that looks for them, that make a difference in how well you can play and learn this game.  Take my word for it, DON'T LEARN THE HARD WAY -- Like I did.  Learn from the experience of others, like I also did.

This is, from my view, the Core Essentials to Better Play:  The WoT Welcome Package, which I put together for New Players and sub 50% players who are neither new nor skilled at the game to Improve Their Play.  I did NOT create any of the information in those links.  I did develop the Mantra and I highly recommend you use it.  That was also developed from sage advice found during my coming to the forums, reading many threads and paying attention to the advice (and the skills of those giving it) provided.  The Mantra for Play was developed as a quick and easy to use prioritization tool to keep me focused on playing.

The New Player Experience in this game is the Absolute WORST I have ever encountered in online gaming.  I played when BBs were running MUDs, which at that time were basically text adventures with no interface other than texting back and forth.  Then I played actual MUDs, I played the original Online at AOL Never Winter Nights, Ultima Online, Mechwarrior Multiplayer, Eve Online, tried: World of Warcraft,  Everquest, D&D Online and so many, many more that the list is too long to go into.  This one has the single WORST new player experience in terms of setting you up for success -- or even minimal competency as far as that goes.

I am a very good gamer on the whole.  I have been playing games since before there were video games.  Some folks would list me as a 'grognard' war gamer, playing board war games from Biblical warfare all the way to space warfare games.  I had my own set of military vehicles in HO scale to play on maps made by people in the same way model train sets were made -- on large tables covering 4' x 8' sheets of plywood, sometimes two side by side and once on one that was four sheets in a two by two configuration.  I went on to design my own board war games, role playing games and such.  I started playing THOSE kinds of games at age 12.  I'm 58 now.

In all of that, there was always a good set of rules, someone willing and interested in explaining them and plenty of folks WANTING you to do your best.  Not here.  They basically show you the WASD keys, tell you how to shoot and then send you out.  Good Luck!  It is awful and it is my ONE TRUE COMPLAINT with regard to this game.

Read the Welcome Package and use those links provided.  They WILL help you, I promise.  It's the best you're going to get in terms of Basic Core Concepts to play this game.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

WangOnTheLoose #9 Posted Dec 10 2018 - 19:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 29810 battles
  • [K0HAI] K0HAI

View PostBadTiger62, on Dec 09 2018 - 22:34, said:

I feel like I have done ok and exceedingly poorly - the game has a steep learning curve and you need to research and not only know every tank you move into but also you should have some basic info on your enemy as well. Like knowing the reload and aiming times and frontal armor vs your penetration rating when it comes to shooting at people. Also committing to memory where the weak spots are (that is if you have time to look for them). My one major issue with the game is the two tier up battles, as I call them. I don't see the point other than to give the upper tier something easy to shoot at. No matter how good you are, no matter what you do, if you run into a top tier tank or tanks you have very little chance of coming out on top. Yes I get that its a team work deal and you should cover for the higher tier tanks but in so many cases, even when you are in a support role the primary gets knocked out and you are definitely next. New people or noobs like me are thrust into these battles with little or no experience and it becomes exceedingly frustrating and the fun just drains out of you - even winning battles 15-2 has little fun in it. No hope = no fun and I know a lot of you know this and I appreciate an equal number of you preservered to make it to where you are. What I would really like to see is a place (server) where noobs like me and the rest of the newcomers could battle it out and learn the ropes in a one tier up or down match - at least for 6 months or so until you had a bit more experience - maybe even limit it to tier V or VI at the most. Always fighting two tiers above my tank rating is so frustrating and it just zaps the fun right out of me.

My suggestion to you would be to stay at Tier III until you have crews with 1 or 2 skills and some silver to buy equipment for your tanks.  This is especially true if you don't feel comfortable playing 2 tiers down.  Tier III will see Tier IVs but not all that often so it is a really good learning spot right now.  As a new player you are seriously behind the power curve because you don't know the game very well yet and you don't have any good crews and probably not a lot of equipment for your tanks.  Make sure you get a cammo net, binos, and a tool box ASAP.  These pieces of equipment can be dismounted for no cost which makes them a good choice until you can buy what you really want.

If you aren't adverse to spending money I would suggest you get the T-127 and the Valentine II from the premium shop.  Valentine only ever sees Tier IV so that would be a good choice until you figure out the game a little more and hopefully get on somewhat of a more equal footing with the long time players.  I don't really consider the game P2W but it really is pay to have a good time in many ways.

Unfortunately WG already tried protecting new players but our server population is so low that it didn't work.  Also suggest you read some of the guides on the forums as well as youtube if you feel like it.

Edited by WangOnTheLoose, Dec 10 2018 - 19:52.

TankFullOfBourbon #10 Posted Dec 10 2018 - 20:03

Major

• Players
  • 31665 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostBadTiger62, on Dec 10 2018 - 04:34, said:

First of all, hang in there! At 1300 games you are still a toddler. It will work out if you just keep at it. Make a point of reflecting what worked and did not work after each game. Try to remember and do them again/not do them again. You will start getting into the game at around 4k-6k games. That's like becoming of age in this game, so there's a lot of pain left but also a lot improvements.

Here are some pointer based on what you write:

• Remembering other tanks reload time, pen rate, damage and weak spots is something you struggle with always, It comes automatic or it doesn't. It's only through battles and studying you get that experience.
  • Don't go alone in games where you are bottom tier or even mid-tier. Stick to the lemming train. Don't venture alone and help the next guy. You look after eachother well, both of you survive. That's enough teamwork in WOT to make you proud sometimes.
  • Noobs and new players are prey for the experienced players - that's how this works. You've got to go through it. It's the only way, there are no fast lanes or escape routes. There are no soft arenas. Everyone went through it.
  • You learn from defeat if you want to learn. You also learn from a win if you are humble

I don't believe in a "safe place" for new players but to some extent it's already there at tier 3. GL - hang in there!

ethics_gradient #11 Posted Dec 10 2018 - 20:26

Major

• Players
  • 42895 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
Join a clan that trains new players.  It's much more fun to go through the learning curve with friends and mentors.

BadTiger62 #12 Posted Dec 10 2018 - 20:50

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6856 battles
  • [MILKY] MILKY
I really appreciate all the feedback and I will definitely look at the welcome package and am looking into clanship.

murdockwan #13 Posted Dec 11 2018 - 14:12

Captain

• Players
  • 25618 battles
  • [CNCRD] CNCRD

View PostBadTiger62, on Dec 10 2018 - 19:50, said:

I really appreciate all the feedback and I will definitely look at the welcome package and am looking into clanship.

Welcome to the game. I agree with the advice posted by others, in summary, hang in there, it'll get better. Everybody is going through the same process.

Definitely join a training clan - they will fast track your training. You can only be in one clan at any given time but adding friends is free and can have unlimited of those. In this thread or in similar ones, don't be afraid to ask for help. A wide range of players (from average - like myself) all the way to top 1% will come to your aid. Once you have a big friends list, you will always have someone to platoon with which is a great way to learn.

I would suggest investing a few bucks into an OK headset and then installing free audio communications software TeamSpeak. This way, during the game you can have your platoon mate explaining things, giving advice and feedback, calling out your mistakes etc.

If you like feel free to add me to your friends list, I will be the first to platoon with you and help as much as I can.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users