ISU-122S buff maybe? ((Please read and fill out the poll))

ISU-122S Buff TankDestroyer Tank Destroyer Russian Tank Destroyer Poll Pleaseread

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the ISU-122S be buffed? (16 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battles in order to participate this poll.

How often do you see the ISU-122S?

1. Never 0 times. (8 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Some times 1-3 times a battle. (7 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

3. Often 3-6 times a battle. (1 vote [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

4. Very often 6-9 times a battle. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Almost regularly 9-12+ times a battle. (0 votes [0.00%])

Should the ISU-122S be buffed?

1. No, it is alright how it is currently. (9 votes [56.25%])

Percentage of vote: 56.25%

2. Yes, but only to the penetration. (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Yes, to all characteristics. (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

4. Yes, but to all characteristics but penetration. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Hide poll

BotherRed #1 Posted Dec 12 2018 - 08:05

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 15407 battles
  • [MAST] MAST

Do please spread this around to other people for maximum amounts of viewing!!!  

Hello there everyone! I just wanted to gather a little bit of data on something. 

I was playing strongholds in my ISU-152 and talking about skills and thinking about picking up the new TD to train my TD crews, when I remember that I had the ISU-122s.

So I started to play it again and found out why past me might have stopped playing it. The biggest issue for me with it is the penetration it has, 175, fairly normal for 122's of the Russians. Pre cold war era cannons for the most part.

I'm sure there's some who'll simply say no, if not scream it when I suggest a buff for it. Others will point at the IS-6 and say that it had to deal with that 175 pen for the longest time and it still did alright. Well unlike the IS-6 the ISU-122S is quite large, thinly armoured, and over all sluggish if you're trying to back away from a fight. Unlike the IS-6 which is more or less the opposite of that, maybe still a bit sluggish if it's on soft to medium soft terrain.  One huge difference between the two is their tiers, it's only one. But it makes a world of difference in premiums.  The IS-6 is tier 8 and had pref MM from the get go, while the ISU-122S is tier 7 and didn't have pref MM. The pref MM the main issue at hand now that it's been removed from the game. But when it was still in the game you have to remember that the IS-6 with it's 175 penetration didn't have to fight anything higher then it. But the ISU-122S did, with less HP, a larger silhouette and less armour. Once the IS-6 did get buffed both its standard and premium shells, while the ISU-122S has always had to face off with tier 9s with it's 175 standard.

But the point still stands, the fact that how survivable the IS-6 was made up for the lack of penetration. Letting you close in on your target to where you could shoot at weak points much more easily, negating that lack of penetration.  The ISU-122S is just as every bit as well armed as the IS-6, but not as well armored. What I just described can be done with a 122 welding tank destroyer, but just not this one. The smaller cousin of the ISU-122S. The SU-122-44 can do that. It's small, well armored, moves quickly and can do that mission of pushing up to more easily hit weak spots. So the 175 on that isn't so bad. What does this all have to do with the 122S? Well it's the red headed step child of this 122 family so far.

It's armed, but not armored. So it can't push up to get at weak points easily, alright but the DMP on it is amazing. That should make up for it right? Well, it is an amazing amount of damage...if you can use it. It's maneuverable, but in a slow way. The gun arc on it is quite frankly, pathetic. Back to the smaller, nimble cousin SU-122-44. Some of you might be wondering what that 44 on the end of it if you don't know that much about it. The SU more or less means tank destroyer, 122 is the caliber of it's cannon, but what's that 44? That is the tank it's based off of, or should I say the tank chassis it's based off of. The T-44, a highly mobile and maneuverable medium tank. So adjusting between targets even with its tight gun arc isn't that bad. But with the ISU-122S, it's not the same story. The ISU, or the heavy tank killer, bunker busters, etc line is has that I infront of it's name. It is there as the chassis that these tanks are base off of is the IS line. The russian heavy tanks. So you can guess how maneuverable it is, and how fast it might turn if it was on something like soft terrain. 

Let's recap what the ISU-122S's issues seem to be currently:

It large

Thinly armoured

Has a tight gun arc, 

Maneuverability is low

Pretty poor penetration on its standard AP shells.

shot_018.jpg

What it does have going for:

It is high DPM 

Camo bonus for being a TD

High damage per shot

Use HE to pull of shots like tracking and cap resets thanks to how large the shell is

shot_019.jpgshot_020.jpg

It's a pretty balanced tank for the most part. Capable of one shotting squishies and lower tiered tanks while also slapping a good chunk of HP out from heavy tanks, if it penetrates of course but that goes for every tank. So why am I just now starting to talk about it? Well it's because of power creep in the game. If you don't know what that is you can search it up, or just guess what it is from the name. But if you don't want to look it up, power creep is what can happen when new content is added into a game. In this case tanks like the Japanese heavies, buffed super heavies, super armored tier 8 premiums, etc. Just as an example, one game I was playing in my ISU-122S I was fighting an O-I at a range of 300 meters and closing, even while shooting at the flat upper plate that sits just below the main turret but above the mini turrets, I was failing to penetrate.  Another reason why I bring this up is with the advent calendar that is currently running. I'm sure the ISU-122S might show up and people will buy it for the crew training or cred grinding to only come to this same issue which I have faced and still am facing.

So for my arguments to buffing the ISU-122S is

Another crew/credit grinding premium tank

Helping to remove power creep around its tier

Making it more enjoyable to play

More sales for WarGaming

Yes, yes, I put that on there, no I'm not on WG's payroll. But you have to remember, WG is a gaming CO. just because they are making a game doesn't mean they have to make it fun for you. Companies look to make a profit, and selling more premium tanks will make them that profit. Now if they can make the game fun and make a profit that will greatly improve their overall profit margin as the overall player base and player experience will that of a positive one which might help bring in new players and old players. I know buffing this one tank won't fix every issue in the game, but it's just something that I would like to bring to light while everyone else cries out about the 3-5-7 MM, power creep and arty.

Do please spread this around to other people for maximum amounts of viewing!!!  

Fluffy_Kittens #2 Posted Dec 12 2018 - 08:08

Major

• Players
  • 46136 battles
  • [F0CUS] F0CUS

i seem to do well in it

its fine'

R_Razor #3 Posted Dec 12 2018 - 08:13

Captain

• Players
  • 8089 battles
  • [_DDM] _DDM
I can't get behind any buffs for anything Russian. Maybe this tank could use some help and maybe it couldn't, but given that the game has so many Russian hovertanks running amok now I don't see a need to add any power to anything else they field. 

echo9835 #4 Posted Dec 12 2018 - 08:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 16944 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
It's all about DPM and gold spam dude, DPM and gold spam...

SlipperySlaughterDaddy #5 Posted Dec 12 2018 - 11:13

Captain

• Players
  • 8663 battles
  • [VHALA] VHALA

Out of the 89 battles i've had with the ISU-122S it seems to be fine, granted it is big and slow with some meh ap penetration but it's workable. Same thing goes with the IS-2 that for the sake of things i'm nicknaming the IS-2S because there are too many different variations of the IS-2 in the game to begin with. both are tier 7 and are in that weird spot for the good and bad side of their lines, however they've been more enjoyable to play than quite a few of my better premiums. Should they get a buff? Penetration maybe, but their mobility is pretty much perfectly inline with their non-premium counter parts.

24cups #6 Posted Dec 12 2018 - 18:21

Major

• Players
  • 23363 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

OP 2 small corrections. PrefMM IS still a thing but IS-6s will see tier 9 with that gun. Just not tier 10.

Oh, and I don't remember the last time I used my ISU-122S. Then again I don't use my IS-6 either. 

DVK9 #7 Posted Dec 12 2018 - 18:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25311 battles
  • [-TX-] -TX-

View Post24cups, on Dec 12 2018 - 11:21, said:

OP 2 small corrections. PrefMM IS still a thing but IS-6s will see tier 9 with that gun. Just not tier 10.

Oh, and I don't remember the last time I used my ISU-122S. Then again I don't use my IS-6 either. 

I dug around and found mine, it is extremely dusty, rusty and it isnt spring cleaning time

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users