A Quick Review of the Differences between the Skorpion G & SU-130PM

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

itsCyberWolfe #1 Posted Dec 13 2018 - 16:43

Captain

• Players
  • 9882 battles

Alright fellas, i've had enough games in both the Skorpion G and the SU-130PM that i believe i can give the newer members of these forums a quick run down on the differences between each one. But first let me start off with the actual stats between each one, then i'll most onto what i felt in-game while driving each of these tanks. Beware though, this is the first time i've done a tank review and i'm not good at this kinda stuff.

First we have the Skorpion G's stats

Hit Points: 1150

Speed Limit: 60 km/h

Crew Members: 4 (Commander, Driver, Gunner, Radio Operator)

Turret Traverse: 28 degrees per second

Turret Traverse Angle: 360 degrees, full rotation

Hull Traverse: 30 degrees per second

Hull Armor: Front - 30mm / Side - 16mm / Rear - 20mm

Aim Time: 2.1 seconds.

Gun Accuracy: 0.30

Rate of Fire: 4.92 round per minute

Shells: AP, APCR and HE

Average Damage: 490 per shot

Penetration: AP - 246mm / APCR - 311mm / HE - 65mm

Gun Elevation/Depression: +14 degrees / -7 degrees

View Range: 360 meters

Damage Per Minute: 2410

Second, we have the SU-130PM's stats.

Hit Points: 1100

Speed Limit: 65 km/h

Crew Members:  5 (Commander, Driver, Gunner, Loader, Loader)

Turret Traverse: 22 degrees per second

Turret Traverse Angle: 156 degrees, halfish rotation

Hull Traverse: 36 degrees per second

Hull Armor: Front - 20mm / Side - 15mm / Rear - 8mm

Aim Time: 2.3 seconds.

Gun Accuracy: 0.35

Rate of Fire: 4.41 round per minute.

Shells: AP, HEAT and HE

Average Damage: 520 per shot

Penetration: AP - 243mm / HEAT - 320mm / HE - 65mm

Gun Elevation/Depression: +37 degrees / -7 degrees

View Range: 360 meters

Damage Per Minute: 2293

Now above are what i consider the most important stats of each tank to be compared. You can read those and see what the statistical differences are, however now i will tell you what i felt personally as i played a chunk of matches with each tank. Just remember to keep in mind that this is my own personal opinion and in the end everyone is likely to feel differently about these tanks. That being said you'll just have to try them out for yourselves. 

Both tanks seem to perform relatively the same for me, other than a few differences listed above such as the skorpion g having the ability to fully rotate its turret a complete 360 degrees while the su-130pm can only do so to about a 152 degree angle. The su-130pm has the advantage of having a much smaller profile, meaning it sits lower to the ground and therefore it's a lot easier to hide it behind cover when you're trying to dodge incoming enemy fire and sitting beside the skorpion, it makes the skorpion look like the Eiffel tower. The guns seem to handle the same for me, semi long aim and reload time which is typical of the bigger guns and one match the shots will hit dead center everytime or they'll go to the moon and start a colony. Both tanks however have a nasty punch, very fast in a straight line, but turning is almost non existent for them. Like if you get into a turning match with a T95, there's a good chance the T95 will win very slowly while the both of you look like you're performing a horrible remake of the nut cracker dance. Their armor should just be listed as 0 because if you get hit, even by a tier 2 tank with HE, you're going to take full damage. If a arty splashes you? Well you'll be as useful as a magikarp. Now, camo wise the SU-130PM has a much better camo rating, where as the Skorpion is kinda... well lets go back to the Eiffel tower. If you're not hidden behind a very big bush.... like a 60's adult film bush, you're going to get spotted. The SU-130PM however can scoot around like an angry granny, hopped up on a full case of redbull in a motor scooter and still not get spotted. 

All in all, i think both tanks given their pros and cons are worthy additions to anyones garage since they're both very good at making credits and amazing crew trainers. But with that being said, i'm glad the russian tree has finally gotten a good, tier 8 premium tank for training td crews. If you had to pick between the two, when both are on sale again. I'd say go for the SU first and then get the Skorp. However due to how spastic wargaming is with their sales, i honestly have to say grab them as soon as you can. 

GAJohnnie #2 Posted Dec 13 2018 - 17:14

Major

• Players
  • 11745 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Thank you!

itsCyberWolfe #3 Posted Dec 13 2018 - 17:23

Captain

• Players
  • 9882 battles

View PostGAJohnnie, on Dec 13 2018 - 11:14, said:

Thank you!

You're welcome bub.

Cognitive_Dissonance #4 Posted Dec 13 2018 - 17:32

Major

• Players
  • 42162 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS

Well, those soft stats are what make a spec for spec comparison confusing.

Because I run a six skill crew in Skorpion with Chocolate, BIA, all the goods.

Running a 4+ skill crew in my 130 with Food, same setup with Camo, BIA etc.

I can tell you that the 130 will hit harder, more accurately, and more consistently than my Skorpion does, and since the camo is notably superior it is far and away a better bush sniping tertiary support than the Skorpion will ever be.

I can also tell you, that even 130 low rolls, will still out DPM the Skorp reliably.

Have I given up on my Skorp? Nope, still a worthy machine, but definitely outclassed by the 130 in a pure stealth sniping mode. I would give the Skorpion the edge though in a mobility and flexibility context.

Essentially, I am somewhat flummoxed that WG would release this thing with such an advantage over the Skorp in many respects, it seems so  . . . biased as to lend merit to the bias claims.

itsCyberWolfe #5 Posted Dec 13 2018 - 17:35

Captain

• Players
  • 9882 battles

View PostCognitive_Dissonance, on Dec 13 2018 - 11:32, said:

Well, those soft stats are what make a spec for spec comparison confusing.

Because I run a six skill crew in Skorpion with Chocolate, BIA, all the goods.

Running a 4+ skill crew in my 130 with Food, same setup with Camo, BIA etc.

I can tell you that the 130 will hit harder, more accurately, and more consistently than my Skorpion does, and since the camo is notably superior it is far and away a better bush sniping tertiary support than the Skorpion will ever be.

I can also tell you, that even 130 low rolls, will still out DPM the Skorp reliably.

Have I given up on my Skorp? Nope, still a worthy machine, but definitely outclassed by the 130 in a pure stealth sniping mode. I would give the Skorpion the edge though in a mobility and flexibility context.

Essentially, I am somewhat flummoxed that WG would release this thing with such an advantage over the Skorp in many respects, it seems so  . . . biased as to lend merit to the bias claims.

As stated above those are what i felt while driving the tank personally, as rng and mileage will very between each user.

Such as my SU-130 is far less accurate than my Skorp G, yet i run a 3 skill crew on the SU and a 2 skill on the SK.

Cognitive_Dissonance #6 Posted Dec 13 2018 - 18:02

Major

• Players
  • 42162 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS

View PostSlipperySlaughterDaddy, on Dec 13 2018 - 10:35, said:

As stated above those are what i felt while driving the tank personally, as rng and mileage will very between each user.

Such as my SU-130 is far less accurate than my Skorp G, yet i run a 3 skill crew on the SU and a 2 skill on the SK.

Thanks that clarifies why we get opposite experiences in the Skorp, my six skill crew runs in the Stug IV, JagdPanther, the I can't remember it's name super gun depression TD, E-25, and Skorp. With the crew, and chocolate, it hits fairly reliably, it was pretty derpy on a 3 skill crew type of range. Just a bit aggravated that the Skorp has been eclipsed, because I saw the Skorp as truly a balanced vehicle, and now the 130 tilts the scales a bit. Nice write up though, and thank you.

itsCyberWolfe #7 Posted Dec 13 2018 - 19:59

Captain

• Players
  • 9882 battles

View PostCognitive_Dissonance, on Dec 13 2018 - 12:02, said:

Thanks that clarifies why we get opposite experiences in the Skorp, my six skill crew runs in the Stug IV, JagdPanther, the I can't remember it's name super gun depression TD, E-25, and Skorp. With the crew, and chocolate, it hits fairly reliably, it was pretty derpy on a 3 skill crew type of range. Just a bit aggravated that the Skorp has been eclipsed, because I saw the Skorp as truly a balanced vehicle, and now the 130 tilts the scales a bit. Nice write up though, and thank you.

Yeah, the crews and consumables will make a big difference so i appreciate your input on the review!

oldewolfe #8 Posted Dec 13 2018 - 20:07

Major

• Players
  • 31440 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

I have Both and I also have the Kanonen 105 and Stug IV, so 3/4 of my Skorpion gets Mass Amounts of Training....    

I bought the 130PM because I have the SU85 and the Crew is a Mess.....      This will allow me to Start a New, Proper Crew AND Fix the Olde one.....      The 130PM Crew will just be here for right now while they Train Up to Replace the SU85 Crew When and IF I grt the SU100 which I do have Unlocked.....          I say If because Ivreally PREFER Turreted Tanks to Casemates, but the Kanonen is actually Working for me where the SU85 really Frustrated me more than it Worked.....

itsCyberWolfe #9 Posted Dec 13 2018 - 20:17

Captain

• Players
  • 9882 battles

View Postoldewolfe, on Dec 13 2018 - 14:07, said:

I have Both and I also have the Kanonen 105 and Stug IV, so 3/4 of my Skorpion gets Mass Amounts of Training....    

I bought the 130PM because I have the SU85 and the Crew is a Mess.....      This will allow me to Start a New, Proper Crew AND Fix the Olde one.....      The 130PM Crew will just be here for right now while they Train Up to Replace the SU85 Crew When and IF I grt the SU100 which I do have Unlocked.....          I say If because Ivreally PREFER Turreted Tanks to Casemates, but the Kanonen is actually Working for me where the SU85 really Frustrated me more than it Worked.....

The kanonen 105 was also a td i wanted to get my hands on but unfortunately i was unable to do so at the time it went on sale so perhaps once i get some more cash together and it goes on sale again i'll be able to get it and do a proper review on it. For me i love td's with turrets, for instance the t28 prototype is on of my favorite tier 8's and one of these days i'm definitely going to finish working my way up to the t110e4. However the su-130pm is definitely a good trainer for russian td crews. 

Project100 #10 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 12:28

Captain

• Players
  • 4772 battles

View PostSlipperySlaughterDaddy, on Dec 13 2018 - 10:43, said:

a very big bush.... like a 60's adult film bush

Nice review, but you'd get a +1 just for that comparison :rofl:

Raptor75 #11 Posted Oct 07 2019 - 01:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 29870 battles
Nice review but so typical, the Germans get a decent unique TD so the Russians have to have one too that looks similar but is better in key areas like acceleration and most of all camouflage. They had to dig up a 130mm gun rather then using the 122mm because then they could give it more damage then the German. I would like just for once in this game to have a German tank that is better then its Russian counter part. Not likely to ever happen, despite in real combat the German tanks dominating Russian tanks. Lets just make this game even for all countries.

itsCyberWolfe #12 Posted Oct 07 2019 - 01:29

Captain

• Players
  • 9882 battles

View PostRaptor75, on Oct 06 2019 - 19:23, said:

Nice review but so typical, the Germans get a decent unique TD so the Russians have to have one too that looks similar but is better in key areas like acceleration and most of all camouflage. They had to dig up a 130mm gun rather then using the 122mm because then they could give it more damage then the German. I would like just for once in this game to have a German tank that is better then its Russian counter part. Not likely to ever happen, despite in real combat the German tanks dominating Russian tanks. Lets just make this game even for all countries.

First of all this thread is almost a year old so thanks for the necro but at the same time, this was unnecessary. Second of all if you're going to call a review that was actually thought out and some work was put into it "typical" then i'd strongly suggest taking the time to write out a proper response. So until you do so, thank you for your "typical" response. Have a nice evening.

Edited by itsCyberWolfe, Oct 07 2019 - 01:29.

325th_MI_Battalion #13 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 06:31

Captain

• Players
  • 23927 battles
  • [HD_13] HD_13

I have both and use both, 5 skills each plus crews.

As stated the SU has the better camo rating by far. I get spotted in the Skorp G far more often, which is why I knock down trees to turn them into bushes and up the camo a bit. The SU has better turning and handling qualities than the Skorp G, but the Skorp G is definitely faster, the SU takes a long time to get up to speed and the Skorp leaves it in the dust.

Accuracy is comparable, I cannot shade it either way.

Both are fun to use. Either is recommended.

They are best used as long range snipers, but I have duked it out with some scouts at close range and won in the SU being able to turn fast enough, something the Skorp would have more difficulty doing.

Edited by 325th_MI_Battalion, Oct 21 2019 - 06:32.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users