Abandoned Stats -- Does it Matter?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Siege_Engine #1 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 02:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11747 battles

Abandoned Stats -- Does it Matter?

Please let me begin with my story.  I began WOT because my son said that I might like it.  I played the bottom tiers and got smoked, because, let's face facts, I didn't really care.  

I played that soccer game that came out, it was a laugh!  I played it with the obj140. I played the obj140 and enjoyed its power, compared to tier II, it was magnificent.  I dedicated myself to grinding to it as fast as I could.  A few weeks later the obj140 was in my garage.  

It all made sense. I would always be high tier.  Best tank, ever. 

I had sold everything to get the Obj140.  I thought that it would make me all powerful.  My crew stank.  I had no equipment.  Worst, of all, I had no clue.  I played 100's of battles in it.  My win rate was 40%, at best.  

Fast forward, some kind people here had pity on me and gave me lots of advice. I went back to tier VI and worked to get better.  It worked, a little. 

If I'm sober, then I can hold my own in tier VI.  I know to buy OP tanks to win.  I know to buy gold shells and spam them to win.  I know to buy consumables and spam them to win.  I'm not great.  But, today, I can get a MOE only most anything at tier VI.  I can make mad credits.  But, I'm getting bored.  

Back to the obj140.  I will never save its 40% win rate.  That's too far gone.  But I still love playing it.  Sometimes, I do 3,500 direct damage, plus assist.  Sometimes, I do 300 direct damage, and die.  

Yet, tier X is more fun.  People seem to have more of a clue.  

But I like to just "have fun".   I don't take it so seriously.  

So here's the question:  Do my stats matter?  Do I simply abandon any issue of "stats"?   Do I play the Obj140 when I'm not sober?   Do I try my best, or just have a good time?  I have no idea -- technically -- how ANYONE can have a 40% win rate -- I mean ... if it's a team?  

But that doesn't matter.  I just want to enjoy what I paid real cash to play.  Is that okay?  

Can I just have fun and F-all my stats?  Is that okay?  Do I abandon all thought of my stats? 

Or, not?  

I_QQ_4_U #2 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 02:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 23591 battles

If you can't answer that for your self how can anyone else?

Siege_Engine #3 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 02:47

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11747 battles

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Dec 16 2018 - 02:45, said:

If you can't answer that for your self how can anyone else?

Well ... that's a great question.  You are right.  I think that I have an answer, for myself.  On the other hand, it seems that there are people here with opinions.  I'd like to hear them.

Edited by Siege_Engine, Dec 16 2018 - 02:48.

the_Deadly_Bulb #4 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 02:49

Major

• Players
  • 28660 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Your stats are yours.

Do as you feel in regard to them.

WoT stats are like grocery store coupons.

That's how I see them.

They have no cash value.

I'm stats aware, not stats obsessed.

Flarvin #5 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 02:51

Major

• Players
  • 55072 battles

I don’t see it doing much. 

Any reduction in players shaming, due to stats; will just be countered by players feeling embolden due to the lack of anyone knowing their stats. 

TheAquaLung #6 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 02:51

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11356 battles
Yes, enjoy the game your way.

MagillaGuerilla #7 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 02:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 25913 battles
At this point it would take hundreds of battles to move it even 1% so play it stats be damned.

_Tsavo_ #8 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 02:54

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46824 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

Your stats are yours, they'll be better and worse than others.   Play for fun as you see fun to be.   Fun differs from person to person.   What's fun for me may not be your tea of cup.   

I think putting them front and center isn't healthy or advisable for anyone.   There's a lot you can't control with team comps and the spread is rather tight between good/ho-hum/bad/etc.  Playing purely for stats will probably be a negative for most.   Seek the fun and play for that.   

My fun?  Winning matches and chasing MOEs, your fun?  Probably not the same as me.   Don't let numbers kill the game, it's a game and they be played for enjoyment and entertainment. 

Your stats are yours, do with them what you please.

Edited by _Tsavo_, Dec 16 2018 - 02:59.

CardboardJedi #9 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 02:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13505 battles
  • [DDVR] DDVR
What are stats? I just tanks

Flarvin #10 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 02:57

Major

• Players
  • 55072 battles

The bonus of player in match anonymity, is that it reduces the validity of whines about xvm sniping and stat shaming. 

I_QQ_4_U #11 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 02:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 23591 battles

View PostSiege_Engine, on Dec 16 2018 - 02:47, said:

Well ... that's a great question.  You are right.  I think that I have an answer, for myself.  On the other hand, it seems that there are people here with opinions.  I'd like to hear them.

Well I don't exclusively play OP tanks, I only fire premium rounds when I have to(unless I forget to switch back), I use consumables(why wouldn't anyone?) but I've never used the premium ones and I've never used food so if you think that's how you win you're wrong, using your head makes you win more than anything. So in my book it's more important how well you play now than how well you played before but you're always going to have players that make no effort to play well, it's always like that in every game there's every been, it's frustrating in a team game, one reason I've usually avoided them, but it not going to go away.

NeatoMan #12 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 03:19

Major

• Players
  • 28248 battles

You can definitely enjoy yourself more when you blow off the stats. 

However, be careful, because once you are aware of stats you will probably find yourself drifting back every now and then.  After a bunch of good games you'll probably say "wow I had a good run, I wonder what that looks like, or what did it do to my stats?"    If you can stay away from them you'll find you can probably keep playing this game forever.

cKy_ #13 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 03:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 4621 battles
Who cares about overall stats. Recents are all that really matter, andthat'ss only if you care about stats. And not everyone cares about stats.

Siege_Engine #14 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 03:33

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11747 battles

View PostNeatoMan, on Dec 16 2018 - 03:19, said:

You can definitely enjoy yourself more when you blow off the stats. 

However, be careful, because once you are aware of stats you will probably find yourself drifting back every now and then.  After a bunch of good games you'll probably say "wow I had a good run, I wonder what that looks like, or what did it do to my stats?"    If you can stay away from them you'll find you can probably keep playing this game forever.

Genius.  Worth printing out and nailing to the wall.  THANKS!  

Siege_Engine #15 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 03:38

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11747 battles

View PostArtilleryIsBalanced, on Dec 16 2018 - 03:33, said:

Who cares about overall stats. Recents are all that really matter, andthat'ss only if you care about stats. And not everyone cares about stats.

"not everyone cares about stats"?  Uhhhh.  Mmmmm.  

ArmorStorm #16 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 04:23

Major

• Players
  • 37711 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

I don't care what your stats are.  I care about what you do in ONE battle, the one that I am in.  

I have seen (and been killed by) guys who have bad stats, I have had games where I played FAR above or below MY stats.  All your stats amount to is a record of what you have done in the past, and they point towards where your STATS are likely to go in the future.  They don't predict how you will fare in any particular match.

Have fun, always try to improve and good luck tanker!

MI_LAD #17 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 04:38

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 22426 battles
people are pretty competitive in this game - thus the tier 10 [edited]show  - tier 10 isnt for casual gameplay - I avoid it myself 

EdibleEmpire #18 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 04:41

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 26202 battles

As long as you have a general idea of what your tank does, I don't care what your win rate is. 

If you're in a Type 5 heavy at the back of the map playing it like a TD then I'll have a problem with you and your win rate.

That's my philosophy. Not a fan of "stay at lower tiers until you get good" advice. Some people learn through experience at higher tiers.

Pipinghot #19 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 05:01

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostSiege_Engine, on Dec 15 2018 - 20:40, said:

But that doesn't matter.  I just want to enjoy what I paid real cash to play.  Is that okay?  

Can I just have fun and F-all my stats?  Is that okay?  Do I abandon all thought of my stats? 

Or, not?  

It's a personal choice, plain and simple.

There are only three reasons why your stats might matter:

1) External to you - If you want to play true-team battles Skirmishes & Clan Wars. For obvious reasons, clans and teams want people who are as skilled as possible ( which realistically means "as skilled as they can recruit" ) but even then there is a lot of "stat forgiveness" depending on how much they just need more bodies in their team lineup. And Recent stats matter a lot more than overall stats. But no matter which stats matter, the only reason you would care about this is if you want to join a team in which you are being evaluated based on your skill at the game. If you don't want to play true-team battles then other people's view of your stats means nothing.

2) External to you - if you want to present yourself as having expertise at the game. Just like everywhere else in life, when people want advice they want to get it from people who actually know what they're talking about. That's why we have specialized professions like financial advisors, professors and engineers, because credentials help demonstrate that someone has expertise in a field, and in WoT stats are how that expertise is expressed. If you want to start writing articles on "How to play the Obj140" you're going to have a severe uphill struggle if you want to be taken seriously. It can also matter when people want to criticize the game. When someone with a 40% WR complains about the MM being rigged, well it's pretty obvious that they are blaming their problems on the game and failing to take responsibility for their performance. But if you don't ever write public opinions in which your personal expertise can be considered a factor, then this is not a reason to care about your stats.

3) Internal to you - You care. Why would you care? No one knows, and it doesn't matter, the only thing in this category is that you care. If it's important to you that you be good at a skill/knowledge based game (which WoT definitely qualifies for) then by all means pursue that skill & knowledge and get better at the game.

Despite what some people think, there is no obligation to be good at WoT in Public, Random battles. This is a free-to-play game, it's open to he pubic, and everyone can jump into Pub battles no matter how good or bad they are. As long as you don't expect people to follow your directions like a battlefield general, and as long as your not complaining at your teams about how bad they are, then it doesn't matter how good you are. the only thing that matters is that you enjoy playing.

Edited by Pipinghot, Dec 16 2018 - 05:14.

Pipinghot #20 Posted Dec 16 2018 - 05:11

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostSiege_Engine, on Dec 15 2018 - 20:40, said:

So here's the question:  Do my stats matter?  Do I simply abandon any issue of "stats"?   Do I play the Obj140 when I'm not sober?   Do I try my best, or just have a good time?  I have no idea -- technically -- how ANYONE can have a 40% win rate -- I mean ... if it's a team?

This question, on the other hand, can be answered: by being really bad at the game (or at that vehicle).

Having a 40% WR in WoT is a very realistic possibility, and the simple reality is that it means that person is really bad at the game (or at that specific vehicle). The game cannot force someone to have a 40% WR, the MM cannot force someone to have a 40% WR, the only way it's possible is to very poor quality of play.

Of course "good" or "bad" is also relative to the tier. Someone who is "good" at Tier IV may be "bad" at Tier X, which is obviously because every higher tier gets more competitive and more difficult. It's also why full time seal clubbers exist. There are plenty of people who refuse to play higher tiers because their egos won't let them admit that they're not as good as they think they are, which is why there have been whole clans of people who only play low tier battles.

The vast majority of people have higher win rates at low tiers and lower win rates at higher tiers, because higher tiers are harder, period. So being bad in the Obj140 (and by logical extension that very likely means that you're generally bad at Tiers IX & X) does not necessarily mean you're bad overall, it just means you're not good enough to be good at the skill level needed to win more at Tiers IX & X.

Now, whether you care that you're good enough to win more often at tiers IX & X, that takes us back to the previous question about whether you care or whether you should care. You should only care if you want to, and then you can choose whether you want to do the work required to get better or to be satisfied with your current skill level. Either way it's a personal choice and no one else's business but your own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users