artillery arty

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

MajorDoozy #1 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 20:39

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11026 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

Before I start ranting about artillery, let me clarify something. I am FULLY aware, that there are hundreds of threads talking about how artillery needs to be re-done, and threads where people complain about artillery. I am also aware that my voice most likely will not be heard, but please, just hear me out.

I don't know about everyone else, but I personally thought the changes to artillery did the complete opposite of what we were asking for prior to their change, and now, they are even worse than the way they were before the change. The stun mechanic was, and still is, a complete disaster, I'd also like to add. 

They fire more often, have a better splash radius, aim faster, can STUN you (for a while too, some of them), and are more accurate than they were before the change. The alpha damage and penetration changes were way too insignificant to consider this a "rebalance" or "nerf" to artillery. Now, every game that I have with artillery in-play, I find myself wanting to scream at the screen, because not only am I getting hit by a tank I cannot hit back, it has been hitting me more often, more reliably, and making my tank 25% worse in every way for 10+ seconds.

I tried to deal with these changes when they came in and I tried to give it all a chance, but I've finally grown sick of it, and I'm || <- this close to quitting the game over it, because it is so incredibly INFURIATING that WarGaming buffed the one class of vehicle in their game that needed a serious nerf, complete re-work, or complete removal from the game. I used to be an avid player, now I find it painful to get in my favorite tanks and go play games, because I know artillery is going to ruin my fun when I get into a game, regardless of my tank type. I want to play this game like I used to, and I want to like it like I used to, but these artillery changes are one of the main reasons why I rarely get any enjoyment out of this game.

How would I fix this? I'm no expert or developer, but I would recommend this: Revert artillery back to the way it was prior to the change(i.e, a bit less accurate,a bit less splash radius, a bit slower to reload, high alpha, AND NO FLIPPIN' STUN), keep the same lower penetration values that were changed, but keep the ammunition to only high explosive. I believe this would still keep artillery somewhat usable, while not removing it from the game and shafting the people who play artillery. WarGaming, you will have a happier, healthier player base if you either A: nerf artillery as a whole and remove the "stun" mechanic, or B: Find another way for artillery to be effective in a battle, and get rid of the whole "stun" mechanic.

Let me know what you think below. Also, don't be a forum warrior and start making fun of me, or ANYONE else, for their opinions on this thread. If I see you're going to make fun of me or someone else, I'll report your comment. I am open to constructive criticism, and discussion. I want to hear everyone's opinions on the current state of artillery, and whether they agree with me on this or not. Maybe this thread will one day catch the eye of a developer. Thanks

YANKEE137 #2 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 20:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 13895 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
And just like that, things were back to normal and no one ever complained about the IS-3A again.

Qualm #3 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 20:42

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 19184 battles

Well I disagree completely.  As both an arty player and an occasional arty target (in my O-I especially), arty is far better now with the new stun mechanics than old massive damage.

Beta players will remember what life used to be like:  everyone hiding behind buildings and rocks for literally 12 solid minutes because the enemy S-51 would eliminate in the blink of an eye anyone spotted who wasn't hiding behind a building or rock.  Only after 12 minutes would battles get started.  Boy those were the days.

Edited by Qualm, Dec 20 2018 - 20:44.

MajorDoozy #4 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 20:43

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11026 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View PostYANKEE137, on Dec 20 2018 - 14:41, said:

And just like that, things were back to normal and no one ever complained about the IS-3A again.

This thread is not about the IS-3A. This thread is about the current state of artillery.

JohnnyBlazin #5 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 20:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14020 battles
  • [HAZD] HAZD
TL;DR yet ANOTHER arty whining thread

YANKEE137 #6 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 20:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 13895 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
One thing they could easily change would be to remove mandatory arty missions.  Many do not want to play them anyway. It adds to the arty pop on the servers at any given time.

MajorDoozy #7 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 20:45

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11026 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View PostJohnnyBlazin, on Dec 20 2018 - 14:43, said:

TL;DR yet ANOTHER arty whining thread

The day they listen to us and make changes, is the day you won't have to hear us whine about artillery.

Edited by ThePwnageMachine, Dec 20 2018 - 20:46.

GS_G3K #8 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 20:45

Major

• Players
  • 23395 battles
  • [I_R_S] I_R_S

MajorDoozy #9 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 20:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11026 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View PostYANKEE137, on Dec 20 2018 - 14:44, said:

One thing they could easily change would be to remove mandatory arty missions.  Many do not want to play them anyway. It adds to the arty pop on the servers at any given time.

+1 on this.

MajorDoozy #10 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 20:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11026 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A
Also, let me state something else. I used to be an avid artillery player, and now, I feel filthy when I jump into one, just to complete my missions.

Aliasless #11 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 21:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 15981 battles
  • [SHTRS] SHTRS

View PostYANKEE137, on Dec 20 2018 - 20:44, said:

100% agree with removing arty missions. Oh I have to stun in a non coalition mission? Time to research an arty. I like to think I play arty more than the next guy but I only had American arty, now I have German and French.

Altwar #12 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 21:37

Major

• Players
  • 58304 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostYANKEE137, on Dec 20 2018 - 11:44, said:

One thing they could easily change would be to remove mandatory arty missions.  Many who complain on this forum do not want to play them anyway. It adds to the arty pop on the servers at any given time.

Seems like you missed a few words, so I figured I'd help out and add them.  ;)

And there is nothing mandatory about SPG missions.  Don't want to do them, then don't.  No carrot aka reward tank for you then.

cloudwalkr #13 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 21:42

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56266 battles

View PostQualm, on Dec 20 2018 - 20:42, said:

Well I disagree completely.  As both an arty player and an occasional arty target (in my O-I especially), arty is far better now with the new stun mechanics than old massive damage.

Beta players will remember what life used to be like:  everyone hiding behind buildings and rocks for literally 12 solid minutes because the enemy S-51 would eliminate in the blink of an eye anyone spotted who wasn't hiding behind a building or rock.  Only after 12 minutes would battles get started.  Boy those were the days.

As a beta player, I do remember what arty was like....and I agree with OP that it is far worse now than ever before with the stun mechanic.  In the past, if arty fired at you and missed...you were fine.  If they hit you, you were back in the garage mildly frustrated.  Now...well, now I get to sit in cover taking arty splash every 25sec keeping me perma stunned all game.  And please, don't tell me to learn to dodge arty or to learn to get arty safe....because that's a joke in and of itself.  

I'd 100% agree to go back to arty pre-stun mechanic.  Now, people still hide behind those building and rocks you talk about...but can be stunned all game because of arty reload and the fact it takes so long for kits to go off cooldown.  I've had many matches where I'm stunned literally all game and by the time the match is over I'm so frustrated I could do bodily harm to someone.  I was never that frustrated when I got one shot.

The actual "solution" to arty in my opinion is remove stun, give some of them a little higher alpha dmg, limit arty to 1 per side per game, remove player stats from public games (because XVM focus is a legit cancer to this game, please don't even try and tell me it's not).  The arty stun mechanic is one of, if not the worst, mechanics in the game.  Instead of ending your match, now you get griefed literally all game if you're anywhere near a good player. 

Anyone with half a clue could see that arty stun was going to be a glorified griefing mechanic - and I've had many players confirm that that's exactly what they do in it...find the high rated players and spam them all game.  I'd rather be one shot and move on to the next match.

Ziggen #14 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 22:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 47374 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
You make it sound like arty always hits you every second of the battle every battle. Paranoid? 30 sec reloads and their is 14 other tanks besides you. Geeze. always whiners. Take away arty then you will complain about TDs?

Animul #15 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 22:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20569 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View PostThePwnageMachine, on Dec 20 2018 - 14:52, said:

Also, let me state something else. I used to be an avid artillery player, and now, I feel filthy when I jump into one, just to complete my missions.

So it should change because you now feel filthy? No

They have butchered things enough without making more ill thought out changes that result in even worse arty play, hell it was better when I could break a Tiger 2 in half with one shot.

Arty is not as accurate as it once was, but people wanted change, they got it, so live with it or quit.

shinglefoot #16 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 22:29

Major

• Players
  • 25015 battles

I'm 463 experience from unlocking my m53/m55. I guess I might as well keep my m40/m43, it's pretty fly too.

You're welcome...

Aliasless #17 Posted Dec 23 2018 - 01:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 15981 battles
  • [SHTRS] SHTRS

View Postshinglefoot, on Dec 20 2018 - 22:29, said:

I'm 463 experience from unlocking my m53/m55. I guess I might as well keep my m40/m43, it's pretty fly too.

You're welcome...

Keep the M40/43 for Frontlines :trollface:

DeleriousDeadwood #18 Posted Dec 23 2018 - 01:46

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7234 battles

Arty makes me non-competitive in those games where they are +1/+2 tiers above ... especially when there are three in the game. When you have t10 arty vs. t8s as soon as you are spotted you become a priority to take out, there is no strategic value because generally you cannot pen anything t10 and generally you cannot pen a lot of t9s. So it sucks enough to be a T8 in a T10 match, and then to be a one shot because they are stat padding is really a little much. Realistically, one per match is bad enough when they are +2 tiers, three is just not a good time.

WhineMaker #19 Posted Dec 23 2018 - 01:49

Major

• Players
  • 38063 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA

View PostThePwnageMachine, on Dec 20 2018 - 11:45, said:

The day they listen to us and make changes, is the day you won't have to hear us whine about artillery.

Kind of like expecting a cold day in hell...

If it's not arty, the subject will become another soon enough... :facepalm:

Fun fact: Current in game missions twice a day, to destroy 10 tanks in tiers 8-10 for 2x large repair, med kits and auto fire extinguishers. Such fun to do in arty... :arta:

I know I received 4 of each yesterday and 2 so far today... :great:

EdibleEmpire #20 Posted Dec 23 2018 - 01:49

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 26154 battles

View PostZiggen, on Dec 20 2018 - 16:08, said:

You make it sound like arty always hits you every second of the battle every battle. Paranoid? 30 sec reloads and their is 14 other tanks besides you. Geeze. always whiners. Take away arty then you will complain about TDs?

They attract a similar type of player in pubs. Arty is fine in any organized play. It should have never been allowed in pbu matches.

Edited by EdibleEmpire, Dec 23 2018 - 01:50.

Also tagged with artillery, arty

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users