The World of Tanks Learn 2 Play (L2P) Guide!

l2p guide world tanks 13disciple learn play

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

13Disciple #1 Posted Dec 21 2018 - 01:14

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24188 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

Hello Tankers!

Forward:

My focus with this training guide is about core skills acquisition. Many new (and old) players are focused on getting to the next tank, to the next tier. This guide sheds that attitude and focuses on meeting a tanker where they are in their journey and helping them to the next step regardless of number of matches or number of tanks. My approach for you to getting better at world of tanks, is teach you core skills, and knowledge. As you learn and apply these skills in game you should see a measurable improvement in your play.

I want to be very clear here. The stats you have now, or the color of your current stats is not important. What is important is being able to track improvement in your game play. Whether you use rWN8, PR, or win rate, you should have some measurable way to track improvement. For me it was win rate and rWN8.

The guide is currently incomplete and will likely undergo changes as I work on it. I will bump this post and edit the original thread here with links as they go live. As I work on this guide if you have suggestions for additional lessons I'm open to hearing them. I'm open to suggestions whether it's lessons, or reference material. This is largely for the community as a whole, and for everyone to benefit from.

Select the range below that your current recent WN8 (last 60 days or 1000 battles, written as rWN8) is in. I believe the core skills and understandings in that range (the range you are in) could get you to the next color/WN8 rating if you apply and put them into practice.

The World of Tanks L2P Guide!

There's a long road ahead.

Edited by 13Disciple, Mar 01 2019 - 00:36.

P0NYTANK #2 Posted Dec 21 2018 - 02:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 43354 battles
  • [-RECK] -RECK
Ohhh Fancy, i hope the newcomers read this :v

Omega_Weapon #3 Posted Dec 21 2018 - 03:52

Major

• Players
  • 52853 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF
Wargaming does a rotten job of teaching this game to the newer players. Nice that some individuals are willing to step up and help them out.

RC_1140 #4 Posted Dec 21 2018 - 03:56

Major

• Players
  • 63960 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
I thought this was a guide for the LTP

13Disciple #5 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 03:22

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24188 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

Hey guys, my next article is live!

Part 2 of the fundamental game mechanics guide.

2. Shooting Mechanics

Let me know what you all think, and if there is any information I missed or got wrong.

13Disciple #6 Posted Jan 16 2019 - 23:22

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24188 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

Well I've finished the next article. I learned something when writing this article I didn't know. I've played over 22K battles with out this knowledge.

I'm embarrassed to say that I had no idea about the 2 calibers rule.
If your caliber is > 2 times the impacted armor thickness, you gain bonus normalization.
I also learned that this bonus normalization also happens when the 3 caliber rule prevents an auto ricochet.

#themoreyouknow

3. Penetration Mechanics

Let me know if you spot any errors or omissions.

13Disciple #7 Posted Jan 19 2019 - 03:51

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24188 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

I'm back with my next guide on how hull damage mechanics work. I'd like to point out that this guide has MORE information than you can find in the wot wiki. The information was supplemented by various dev Q&As and conversations with some of the game mechanics experts that are active here and in the WoT Discord (I definitely recommend joining!).

If you have the time I suggest you work your way through the article. The un-skilled HE rounds, account for the most complex interactions for damage mechanics in the game. Oh the irony... It should provide enlightenment for those firing 183mm of HESH, to arty players, and everyone in between.

My original plan was to include module damage mechanics in the guide, but it ran long with the HE complex interactions, so I decided to dedicate a separate page to module damage.

If you're behind a firewall (or too lazy) check out the TL;DR at the end of my article I've copy pasted here:

I realize you'll never remember all of that in battle so maybe just commit these Damage Mechanics TL;DR points to memory:

• Damage has + or - 25% RNG based on a Gaussian (normal) distribution curve 
  • All Ammo Types (AP/HE/APCR/HEAT) do full damage when it penetrates regardless of remaining penetration potential (or any other factors)
  • HE does half damage when it doesn't pen, and is mitigated further by impact distance and armor thickness
  • For each additional level of spaced armor the HE round encounters, the damage is further reduced by 50%
  • HE detonations check all ray traces from the point of detonation to all armor groups in line of sight, in the splash radius and chooses the maximum damage path

Edited by 13Disciple, Jan 20 2019 - 01:44.

relic007 #8 Posted Jan 20 2019 - 01:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 17086 battles
Nice job thanks....Enjoy your twitch stream also.

13Disciple #9 Posted Jan 23 2019 - 00:22

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24188 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View Postrelic007, on Jan 19 2019 - 19:23, said:

Nice job thanks....Enjoy your twitch stream also.

Thanks, that's very kind :)

I've updated the guide with the following information:
3: Penetration Mechanics
  • Rearranged content for better logical flow
  • Added math example to the three calibers rule

4: Hull Damage Mechanics

• Added Ramming Damage to the article
  • Added Ramming Damage bullet points to the TL;DR at the end

Various additional grammar and continuity fixes.

13Disciple #10 Posted Jan 24 2019 - 16:59

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24188 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

Next article is live.

5: Module Damage Mechanics

There is a lot to unpack in this article, and many people have misconceptions on how this game mechanic works. There are still some unknowns out there that the devs haven't shared, but this should give you enough information for you to understand how modules take damage and what that means to tank performance.

Even veteran players in my own clan found some useful information here that they've forgotten over the years.

Enjoy!

Edited by 13Disciple, Jan 24 2019 - 21:41.

taugrim #11 Posted Jan 24 2019 - 20:36

Staff sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 33020 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

I think it's helpful that you are breaking up guides by skill level, since the learning curve is steep and people need to start with the basics then move to more advanced stuff.

Just like taking courses at college.

13Disciple #12 Posted Jan 24 2019 - 21:47

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24188 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View Posttaugrim, on Jan 24 2019 - 14:36, said:

I think it's helpful that you are breaking up guides by skill level, since the learning curve is steep and people need to start with the basics then move to more advanced stuff.

Just like taking courses at college.

Thanks Taugrim! I mention this exact idea on the fundamental mechanics home page:

"This guide is sort of like a mathematics course. A firm understanding of basic mathematics is required in order to perform complex equations - a good fundamental understanding of the core mechanics will help you understand the topics of advanced lessons."

I'm happy to see that you understand why I've done it in this format.

I've updated the guide with the following information:
5: Module Damage Mechanics

• Added a section explaining the benefits of safe stowage and wet ammo wracks - and some math to help demonstrate it's limitations
  • Added subtitles for med kits and repair kits for better article navigation and organization

Edited by 13Disciple, Jan 24 2019 - 21:47.

firemedic1428 #13 Posted Jan 27 2019 - 16:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14841 battles
Good stuff! Between you and Taugrim I've been able to improve on my recents. Except yesterday, I was chasing too much damage to complete a mission.

13Disciple #14 Posted Feb 01 2019 - 15:54

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24188 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

Hello again! The guide has expanded once more!

Added the following information:

6: Vision Mechanics

• Effective View Range
  • Concealment
  • Spot Range
  • Line of Sight
  • Spot Duration
  • Sixth Sense
  • Radio Range

Various Additional Grammar and Spelling Fixes

View Postfiremedic1428, on Jan 27 2019 - 10:07, said:

Good stuff! Between you and Taugrim I've been able to improve on my recents. Except yesterday, I was chasing too much damage to complete a mission.

Thanks! That's very kind of you. Glad to see my goal is, in part, coming to fruition.

Laniru #15 Posted Feb 01 2019 - 22:51

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 25702 battles
  • [NOPES] NOPES
Good stuff. Found you by fluke on twitch one day, I wish I'd found this about 15000 battles ago. Looking forward to "Optimize and Anticipate 1600-2449"

13Disciple #16 Posted Mar 01 2019 - 00:42

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24188 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

Hello! The guide is expanding again!

The following has been added:

7: Stun Mechanics

• Stun Duration
  • Stun Effect
  • Assisted Stun Damage
  • Tips

Various additional grammar and spelling fixes

View PostLaniru, on Feb 01 2019 - 16:51, said:

Good stuff. Found you by fluke on twitch one day, I wish I'd found this about 15000 battles ago. Looking forward to "Optimize and Anticipate 1600-2449"

Thanks! Yea, it's a lot of content for one person to push out. I'll get to it some point soon :) Stay tuned!

13Disciple #17 Posted Mar 01 2019 - 23:25

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24188 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

The guide has been modified and updated with the following:

7: Stun Mechanics

• Edited intro to make sense
  • Added a forward about SPGs
  • Stun Duration - reworded a few lines for clarity and added some more specific information regarding stun reduction
  • Stun Effect - changed some wording for clarity - added more explanation to the graphic
  • Assisted Stun Damage - Modified the explanation for clarity
    • Added a graphic to better communicate how assisted stun damage is shared between multiple SPGs
  • Tips - Added some more tips
  • Updated the text to (mostly) remove the insults from artillery. 
    • This was in an effort to retain the authoritative voice of the article. I did leave in some color though.

THANK YOU FOR THE FEEDBACK

Various additional grammar and spelling fixes

Also tagged with l2p, guide, world, tanks, 13disciple, learn, play

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users