Hi there

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Po1ar_Gaming #1 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 14:55

Corporal

• Players
  • 182 battles

So, I decided to start a new WoT account after getting an invite code. I have no prior WoT PC experience, although I've played about 19,000 battles in WoT Blitz and although some of it carries over, I still have some gaps within the learning process. 

So, I have a few questions. 

1. I have a few lines picked out that I would like to pursue, which are as follows:  Batchat 25 T, Maus, 5A, Kranvagn, and the Grille 15 (just because it was my first line in Blitz to Tier 10). Anyways, since it'll be a while until I get there, I'd like to pursue some other lines that can be helpful for my development as a player. I already know how to play Russian heavies and mediums, I've grinded all the available Russian med and heavy lines in Blitz to Tier 10, and I do well in them. So basically, this question is: what are some good Tier 6 and 8's that I can go for that are helpful for competitive play like Strongholds? (Not really sure what that even is, or what Clan Wars is, but I know it's competitive related.) I was thinking the T37 and the IS-3, but you guys are the expert. What are kind of the meta tech tree tanks for Tier 6 and 8 competitive play?

2. A follow-up to Q1. Anyone got a clan I can join? I would love to platoon with some folks but I tend to play from 12 AM-6 AM in the Pacific Time Zone. Usually there aren't a lot of people on during then. Also, a clan that does some competitive play would be appreciated. 

3. I got some money for Christmas and I'm looking to spend it on WoT PC. I have the T14 already from the invite code, plus that freebie gift tank for this year. So I think I'm good on premium tanks purely for credit grinding. I heard getting premium time is a great idea, and someone also suggested Christmas loot boxes, that apparently have great gold value. So, anyone got some suggestions?

It seems like I've caught myself up with the importance and use of crews. I think that was the only significant thing that I could learn fast. I'm still learning the maps and stuff, and the proper positioning on them as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Po1ar

_BBaby #2 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 15:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1007 battles

Heyo! 21k blitz games here. 

Is3 is a good choice. A better bet is defender or is3a, but they're rarely sold. A quick google will give many suggestions. I know a bit more about tier 6. As a TD lover I can highly recommend hellcat. Great camo and over 500m view range (even though maximum is 445). Very high skill ceiling. However you are going to have more luck with a medium or light. I think the t3485m is the meta (at least in tournaments). It's like an OP t34-85. Cromwell is also great, and type 64 makes a fantastic light tank.

If you just want gold, dont go lootboxes. Sometimes they pay for themselves with gold, but not always. However all the premiums in them are great (except the tier 5s), so they might actually be the answer. I would get a pack of 25. It will compete the collection for you, and give you a shot at some great tanks. Festive atmosphere x will give you 4 females and a discount on tier 1-10 tanks. Female crews are to die for

Also, if you are playing with view range at all, make sure you know your vision mechanics. It has helped me so much with Hellcat (I spot better than light tanks tbh). You dont have to memorize formulas, but you should know what 445 meters means in terms of gameplay

Tldr: buy 25 lootboxes, get festive atmosphere x 

shinglefoot #3 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 15:10

Major

• Players
  • 25985 battles
     Welcome and good luck, starting out's a [edited]but hang in there/ Scorpiany is lurking, his advice is solid.

MagillaGuerilla #4 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 15:12

Major

• Players
  • 26762 battles
The Swedish heavies aren't too good, go Russian and American. Good luck.

Po1ar_Gaming #5 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 15:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 182 battles

Thanks ^^

So about Festive Atmosphere. I've got it all the way up to Level 5, and I've gotten 1 female crew member. I think the right move here is to save her for now, and hopefully assign her to a line that I can use the Tier 6 and 8 (and maybe 10) for competitive play. 

shinglefoot #6 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 15:15

Major

• Players
  • 25985 battles

View PostPo1ar_Gaming, on Dec 25 2018 - 10:13, said:

Thanks ^^

So about Festive Atmosphere. I've got it all the way up to Level 5, and I've gotten 1 female crew member. I think the right move here is to save her for now, and hopefully assign her to a line that I can use the Tier 6 and 8 (and maybe 10) for competitive play. 

They make great commanders, the brothers in arms skill works for male and female mixed crews. Having sixth sense on your commanders early on will help your grinds.

vyle02 #7 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 15:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 38002 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ
for tier 6 the meta tanks are T34-85M, Type64, KV2, Cromwell/Cromwell B, Skota T 25, and the OI, cromwell, skota and OI are the non-prems at this tier. For tier 8, T26E5/Patriot, OBJ252U/Defender, IS3A, LT432, Skorpion G, SU-130PM, Caernavon/Caernavon AX, Lorr 40T, Somua SM, Progetto mod 46, Strv S1, 50TP Proto, WZ-120-FT, and IS3, for non-prem meta tanks itts pretty much just the Caernavon and IS3.

Po1ar_Gaming #8 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 15:25

Corporal

• Players
  • 182 battles

View Postshinglefoot, on Dec 25 2018 - 06:15, said:

They make great commanders, the brothers in arms skill works for male and female mixed crews. Having sixth sense on your commanders early on will help your grinds.

Oh yeah. So on my T14, I started selecting crew skills. I did Sixth Sense for my Commander, Smooth Ride for my Driver, Snap Shot for my Gunner, Repairs for my Radio Operator, and Camouflage for my Loader. Would doing BIA for all my crew member's next skill be a good idea? 

Project100 #9 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 15:38

Captain

• Players
  • 4772 battles

View PostPo1ar_Gaming, on Dec 25 2018 - 08:55, said:

So, I decided to start a new WoT account after getting an invite code. I have no prior WoT PC experience, although I've played about 19,000 battles in WoT Blitz and although some of it carries over, I still have some gaps within the learning process. 

So, I have a few questions. 

1. I have a few lines picked out that I would like to pursue, which are as follows:  Batchat 25 T, Maus, 5A, Kranvagn, and the Grille 15 (just because it was my first line in Blitz to Tier 10). Anyways, since it'll be a while until I get there, I'd like to pursue some other lines that can be helpful for my development as a player. I already know how to play Russian heavies and mediums, I've grinded all the available Russian med and heavy lines in Blitz to Tier 10, and I do well in them. So basically, this question is: what are some good Tier 6 and 8's that I can go for that are helpful for competitive play like Strongholds? (Not really sure what that even is, or what Clan Wars is, but I know it's competitive related.) I was thinking the T37 and the IS-3, but you guys are the expert. What are kind of the meta tech tree tanks for Tier 6 and 8 competitive play?

2. A follow-up to Q1. Anyone got a clan I can join? I would love to platoon with some folks but I tend to play from 12 AM-6 AM in the Pacific Time Zone. Usually there aren't a lot of people on during then. Also, a clan that does some competitive play would be appreciated. 

3. I got some money for Christmas and I'm looking to spend it on WoT PC. I have the T14 already from the invite code, plus that freebie gift tank for this year. So I think I'm good on premium tanks purely for credit grinding. I heard getting premium time is a great idea, and someone also suggested Christmas loot boxes, that apparently have great gold value. So, anyone got some suggestions?

It seems like I've caught myself up with the importance and use of crews. I think that was the only significant thing that I could learn fast. I'm still learning the maps and stuff, and the proper positioning on them as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Po1ar

Welcome to the PC side! You're gonna love arty. :trollface:

I'm still a total newb and I've just started getting into the organized clan stuff, but I'll tell you right off that the Tier 6 meta leans heavily on Medium Tanks.

Grab a T-34-85M (or maybe a Cromwell/Bromwell) and jump in as a Legionnaire. If you do buy a bunch of lootboxes, you'll probably end up with the 'Simon Claws' commander and some female crew members that you can drop into your choice and be in a decent starting spot, crew-skill wise. Play with a bunch of different clans and find one that's a good fit for you.

I know nothing about Blitz, but over here clans use communications software pretty extensively so do yourself a favor and install TeamSpeak and Discord before you start joining in. I would strongly suggest a microphone, but many clans won't even let you play as a legionnaire if you can't listen to the commander/caller.

Good Luck, Have Fun, Carry Hard, and, again, Welcome!

LeaveIT2Beaver #10 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 15:42

Major

• Players
  • 42990 battles
  • [ZAYIN] ZAYIN
YouTube - watch WOT "how to" vids until you go blind

Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver, Dec 25 2018 - 15:42.

shinglefoot #11 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 15:42

Major

• Players
  • 25985 battles

View PostPo1ar_Gaming, on Dec 25 2018 - 10:25, said:

Oh yeah. So on my T14, I started selecting crew skills. I did Sixth Sense for my Commander, Smooth Ride for my Driver, Snap Shot for my Gunner, Repairs for my Radio Operator, and Camouflage for my Loader. Would doing BIA for all my crew member's next skill be a good idea? 

Yes BIA improves a crews performance across the board, it's almost mandatory for tanks with poor gun handling AKA the KV 2 and Cromwell to name just a few.

Po1ar_Gaming #12 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 15:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 182 battles

View PostProject100, on Dec 25 2018 - 06:38, said:

Welcome to the PC side! You're gonna love arty. :trollface:

I'm still a total newb and I've just started getting into the organized clan stuff, but I'll tell you right off that the Tier 6 meta leans heavily on Medium Tanks.

Grab a T-34-85M (or maybe a Cromwell/Bromwell) and jump in as a Legionnaire. If you do buy a bunch of lootboxes, you'll probably end up with the 'Simon Claws' commander and some female crew members that you can drop into your choice and be in a decent starting spot, crew-skill wise. Play with a bunch of different clans and find one that's a good fit for you.

I know nothing about Blitz, but over here clans use communications software pretty extensively so do yourself a favor and install TeamSpeak and Discord before you start joining in. I would strongly suggest a microphone, but many clans won't even let you play as a legionnaire if you can't listen to the commander/caller.

Good Luck, Have Fun, Carry Hard, and, again, Welcome!

I got Teamspeak3 and Discord already. I prefer Discord though, and my computer's mic works well. 

Interestingly enough, the competitive meta in Blitz at Tier 6 and 8 is very similar: lots of mediums at Tier 6, lots of premium (heavy and TD) spam, and Tier 10 is a bunch of fast heavy spam with the occasional TD or Batchat.

Also, I actually do love arty so far. They've been great to farm off, it's kind of funny how helpless they seem when you get up close or when they are spotted. Yeah I've noticed they can be quite a nuisance but I think they're pretty balanced so far, because if you spot or them or worse, get up close to them, they're done for.

Edited by Po1ar_Gaming, Dec 25 2018 - 15:54.

RUDl #13 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 15:57

Corporal

• Players
  • 6405 battles
  • [-S-A] -S-A
Welcome to world of arty

Project100 #14 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 16:03

Captain

• Players
  • 4772 battles

View PostPo1ar_Gaming, on Dec 25 2018 - 09:52, said:

I got Teamspeak3 and Discord already. I prefer Discord though, and my computer's mic works well. 

Interestingly enough, the competitive meta in Blitz at Tier 6 and 8 is very similar: lots of mediums at Tier 6, lots of premium (heavy and TD) spam, and Tier 10 is a bunch of fast heavy spam with the occasional TD or Batchat.

Also, I actually do love arty so far. They've been great to farm off, it's kind of funny how helpless they seem when you get up close or when they are spotted. Yeah I've noticed they can be quite a nuisance but I think they're pretty balanced so far, because if you spot or them or worse, get up close to them, they're done for.

That's a great attitude about arty, try to hang on to it. There's a LOT of hate for it here, but it's really not that big a deal.

If you ever get the hankering to try it for yourself, go up the British line. You seem focused on organized play and the Conqueror GC is the only arty used there at all from what I know.

NL_Celt #15 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 16:53

Major

• Players
  • 31322 battles

View PostPo1ar_Gaming, on Dec 25 2018 - 10:55, said:

Did you start 6th Sense from scratch? It will not function until it reaches 100%. Perks need to be 100% before they activate while things like repairs are active right away and get better all the way to 100%. The norm is to start on all skills and then when they reach 100% you reset to one or more perks that are suitable. There are three options to reset so that will make a difference as to what you do specifically.

For a heavy tank camo is not so important as repairs. You tend to be in closer brawling where you are always spotted anyway, but repairs will get those tracks up quicker and might keep you alive. ORD tops Smooth. Snap is good. For my T14 I started with 3 on repair, snap and clutch (but ORD was probably a better idea). Then I added a toolkit and also used a large repair kit to help get up and going quicker as arty loves you and you can expect more damage anyway. Now some people wouldn't go so much into repairs as I did. DunniteOwl posted his setup for first skill for heavies and had the commander start with recon instead of repairs.

BIA is good but all the crew need it at 100% for it to function. I will switch to it only after I get into the third skill a good ways unless a resetting sale comes up. Loader and R/O basically have two, maybe three obvious good skills/perks and after that it's a bit lean so when I get a chance I'll grab BIA. There are two exceptions to that. For arty I'd switch to BIA right away, even before 6th. Also if you have one, or two, of the special crew that has BIA as a free perk then you might just want to get the rest of the crew on it right away to make use of it.

Edited by NL_Celt, Dec 25 2018 - 17:08.

dunniteowl #16 Posted Dec 25 2018 - 18:02

Major

• Players
  • 38977 battles

I will make the point that there are some very distinctive differences in how WoT PC plays as compared to the tales I have heard of Blitz.  In that light, I highly recommend you read through this at your leisure:

The WoT Welcome Package

I consider this material to be the Core Essential Information to Playing Well in this game.  Any further descriptions or allusions can be found in my opening in that link.

Welcome to the Madness that is WoT PC!

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

_Steel_Casket_ #17 Posted Dec 27 2018 - 19:09

Captain

• Players
  • 107709 battles
  • [T_U_C] T_U_C
I'm looking forward to seal clubbing ya!

the_Deadly_Bulb #18 Posted Dec 27 2018 - 20:34

Major

• Players
  • 45617 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Post_Steel_Casket_, on Dec 27 2018 - 10:09, said:

If I was him I'd be unconcerned about you.

You're more seal meat than seal club. :teethhappy:

dunniteowl #19 Posted Dec 28 2018 - 17:15

Major

• Players
  • 38977 battles

View Post_Steel_Casket_, on Dec 27 2018 - 12:09, said:

ROFL.  Do you even KNOW which end of the stick to hold?  I HIGHLY recommend you read the LINK I posted for the OP.  You probably would benefit from it more so than he would.

OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Dec 28 2018 - 17:19.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users